Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Banana Splits is actually kinda good

It was. It surprised me. I put it on while I planned on cleaning the apartment and casually watch it, but then ended up just sitting down to watch it with a couple beers. I'd watch a sequel if they did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

david_a posted:

Am I just totally out of touch with modern slang or does this not mean that it produced loud flatulence

I'm pretty convinced none of the terms used in CineD to say a movie is good are actually real.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
VFW report- 10 walrus tusks.

This is a movie I will watch every October until the end of time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for horrors and thrillers that are like Deadbeat at Dawn and The Driller Killer, more gritty urban based-in-reality crime horror movies. The Addiction would also hit the spot if not for the supernatural elements.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Superdeep trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-09WLbKBKY

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

david_a posted:

Am I just totally out of touch with modern slang or does this not mean that it produced loud flatulence

They're just saying it whipped scrote.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kind of cool: concept pieces for the recently proposed Friday the 13th series that ended up not being made

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2020/02/images-surface-for-concept-jason.html

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for horrors and thrillers that are like Deadbeat at Dawn and The Driller Killer, more gritty urban based-in-reality crime horror movies. The Addiction would also hit the spot if not for the supernatural elements.

I’m assuming you have already seen the original Maniac, but that’s the only thing I can think of.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah I've seen it but thats definitely a great reccomendation, looking for more of that stuff. The remake was great too.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah I've seen it but thats definitely a great reccomendation, looking for more of that stuff. The remake was great too.

I feel like you've likely already scoured these titles, but Toolbox Killer and Bronx Warriors (not really horror) come to mind

Edit: Maybe "House on the Edge of the Park"? Truly a dirty movie.

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 16, 2020

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Also another extremely "horny" spooker that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Night of The Demons"

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Serious Party Gods posted:

Also another extremely "horny" spooker that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Night of The Demons"

Isn't that the film with the scene of a women inserting a lipstick cartridge into her areola?

I'm not sure if "horny" is the right descriptor for that.

I don't know if human language has a term for that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a good pick.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I don't know if human language has a term for that.

Art

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like Combat Shock fits most of these criteria.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Again excellent reccomendation but I SEEN IT :(

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I wouldn't call it good or interesting, but there's William Lustig's Relentless. Ditto for The Zodiac Killer (1971). There's also Act of Vengeance (1974, rapey).

Have you watched Richard Kern's Fingered?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

*slams hands on table rhythmically* V F W, V F W, V F W

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

You only know it when you see it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

Combat Shock/American Nightmares (1986)
Corpse Mania (1981)
Death Line (1972)
House on the Edge of the Park (1980)
Maniac Cop (1988)
Maniac Cop 2 (1990)
Murderlust (1985)
New York Ripper (1982)
Night Train to Terror (1985, the framing story and one of the segments are supernatural but the rest are not)
Nightmare/Nightmare in a Damaged Brain (1981)
Water Power (1977)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah, gently caress yeah, give me all the grimy dirty murder movies

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Would Man Bites Dog fit on the list?

https://youtu.be/SwRxZlTGbjU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Combat Shock/American Nightmares (1986)
Corpse Mania (1981)
Death Line (1972)
House on the Edge of the Park (1980)
Maniac Cop (1988)
Maniac Cop 2 (1990)
Murderlust (1985)
New York Ripper (1982)
Night Train to Terror (1985, the framing story and one of the segments are supernatural but the rest are not)
Nightmare/Nightmare in a Damaged Brain (1981)
Water Power (1977)

Isn’t Maniac Cop supernatural as well? He’s basically a zombie.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Over the past month or two, I have been watching all the Friday the 13th films in conjunction with listening to In Vorhees We Trust. I used to believe I preferred the Nightmare films, but boy, was I wrong! I think while F13 doesn't have the absolute highs of Nightmare (see 1 & 3), it takes a lot longer to get to the lows of the series. So, before I watch the remake, I decided to bring up a fun thread game of ranking all the F13's with a little blurb.

2: Builds on everything great about the 1st one and makes it better.
5: Podcast didn't really like this film, but I love how ridiculous it is.
4: Probably the 2nd best, but I picked 5 for personal reasons. This has Crispin Glover and Feldman a year before they hit really big.
6: Honestly, I could rank this higher, but I put it lower because it feels too much like a parody of the films. It's a fun experience, but the works its parodying deserve to be higher.
1: Part of the reason, I think, I didn't hold the F13 series in such high esteem is because of this. It's a fine slasher, but a little boring.
3: Solid, but everything happens in the barn. Also has the most annoying nerd character.
FvJ: Probably the best version of this film in 2003. The horror world was still very connected to the rise of teen slashers post-Scream.
7: This is where the series takes a bit of a nose dive. But, still manages to create somewhat enjoyable films. Some of the Halloween's are hard to get through.
8: The budget didn't allow for the central phrase in its title, which is a let down. When he does get to Manhattan, he walks down Times Square.
X: Only above 9 because some of the jokes are solid.
9: Really hard to get through. Along with X, the only 2 I never want to revisit.

I remember enjoying the remake when it came out, so I am excited to see where it lands on this list.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, but this is the only place that would care how I rank the F13 films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

5 is a lot better now when you're binge watching the series, and can go to 6 immediately afterwards. It's fine as "oh, that's a nice little twist in the series", but I can imagine how pissed fans of the series were expecting Jason, and instead getting some guy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Man, two-thirds of this thread is ranking Friday the 13ths, so welcome home.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie that walks the line between intentionally and unintentionally funny like Doom Asylum. The story is paper-thin, the acting is full of weird choices and the plot is riddled with contrivances.

On the other hand, there’s a moment where the heroine says with a straight face: “God, if you get us through this, I’ll give you anything you want - money, sex...”

It’s definitely never dull, I’ll give it that much.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
One of the other issues of people may have of 5, outside of the reveal, is that you never really get to see Jason killing. It's only been a few weeks, so I may be wrong, but I remember it was just like close-up shots of an arm with a machete rather than Jason himself. The only times you get to see him is in Tommy's hallucinations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Drunkboxer posted:

I think they leave a little wiggle room there as to whether he's reanimated or just didn't die in the attack that scarred him.

Never seen the sequels, maybe they go into it in more depth there?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Would Man Bites Dog fit on the list?

https://youtu.be/SwRxZlTGbjU

Man Bites Dog is so weird, because its a fascinating and great movie right up till the ending that is so hilariously 90s post-Quentin Tarantino gangster movie explosion

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 17, 2020

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

One of the other issues of people may have of 5, outside of the reveal, is that you never really get to see Jason killing. It's only been a few weeks, so I may be wrong, but I remember it was just like close-up shots of an arm with a machete rather than Jason himself. The only times you get to see him is in Tommy's hallucinations.

That's Friday the 13th 1-3. You only see Jason/his mom in the finale of all of those, really, and 5 follows in their footsteps because it's trying to be a (really stupid) "whoodunit" and throwing shade on Tommy. 4 is the first one where most of the kills have Jason/whoever in frame, 5 goes back to the first 3, and then 6 on are Jason again. That's another reason 4 and 6 are so well regarded, with 2 often being seen as the best of the 1st person kill ones.

That's also another reason I dislike 3, it has literally no reason to do that since Jason was revealed at the end of 2.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
So my wife has a memory fragment of a probably 80s horror flick that she can't figure out the title of. It was about some mask from an exhibit that someone put on and it had a pin in it that has stabbed their face (and I guess it caused a lot of other complications, but really that's all she recalls now).

I know it's not a lot to go on, but anyone has any ideas what it could be?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Jim DiGriz posted:

So my wife has a memory fragment of a probably 80s horror flick that she can't figure out the title of. It was about some mask from an exhibit that someone put on and it had a pin in it that has stabbed their face (and I guess it caused a lot of other complications, but really that's all she recalls now).

I think this happens in Demons https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089013/

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jim DiGriz posted:

Probably Demons from 1985

^efb :argh:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Probably Demons from 1985

^efb :argh:

She says it looks like it. Amazing, thanks!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I can't believe the trailer wasn't posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hkspAW-r-0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I left off Maniac Cop 3 for this reason. In Maniac Cop 1 and 2 fellow police who respected him secretly have a doc fix him as best as he can when they realize he still has a pulse right after they declared him dead and then he's set free in the care of his girlfriend, coming to a head when he starts picking off people responsible for his false incarceration and eventual "death". He's very strong/feels no pain and scarred up but isn't indestructible, just very very tough compared to you or I because he was already a huge super healthy dude to begin with.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 17, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I left off Maniac Cop 3 for this reason. In Maniac Cop 1 and 2 fellow police who respected him secretly have a doc fix him as best as he can and then he's set free in the care of his girlfriend, coming to a head when he starts picking off people responsible for his false incarceration and eventual "death". He's very strong/feels no pain and scarred up but isn't indestructible, just very very tough compared to you or I because he was already a huge super healthy dude to begin with.

Yeah I guess I forgot that he just can’t feel pain. I was remembering him burning and being shot and being chill with it and assumed zombie.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Long time no see horror thread. Over the weekend I saw The Lodge, and The Color Out of Space.

The Lodge was really good, and very scary the opening shot made me spill beer all over myself. The dog I padded out this spoiler so it wouldn't be obvious that the dog dies. About halfway through I thought I had it all figured out, and then the kids confirmed it and I was like "ugh so obvious" but then when you learn the truth it was even scarier. It still sometimes feels like a cheap shot to just be like "here's a mentally ill person, uh oh! something went wrong and now they're crazy and gonna kill you!" but it was still a good movie despite that. It felt at first a little like it was trying to eat Hereditary's lunch, but it was totally its own thing by then end.

The Color out of Space was a masterpiece. I'm a big fan of the original story. Some of it felt like Annihilation. While I haven't read the book Annihilation is based on, I assume it's at least somewhat inspired by the original "color out of space" story, since they're both about meteorites makin poo poo wack. I loved it, my friends thought it was bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Null of Undefined posted:

Long time no see horror thread. Over the weekend I saw The Lodge, and The Color Out of Space.

The Lodge was really good, and very scary the opening shot made me spill beer all over myself. The dog I padded out this spoiler so it wouldn't be obvious that the dog dies. About halfway through I thought I had it all figured out, and then the kids confirmed it and I was like "ugh so obvious" but then when you learn the truth it was even scarier. It still sometimes feels like a cheap shot to just be like "here's a mentally ill person, uh oh! something went wrong and now they're crazy and gonna kill you!" but it was still a good movie despite that. It felt at first a little like it was trying to eat Hereditary's lunch, but it was totally its own thing by then end.

The Color out of Space was a masterpiece. I'm a big fan of the original story. Some of it felt like Annihilation. While I haven't read the book Annihilation is based on, I assume it's at least somewhat inspired by the original "color out of space" story, since they're both about meteorites makin poo poo wack. I loved it, my friends thought it was bad.

I gotta see The Lodge, seems incredibly up my alley.

I loved Color out of Space too. I know Nicholas Cage is reputed for having "funny" "Nicholas Cage" moments in movies or whatever but he did a great job weaving that into a performance that quickly goes from haha what a naive goofball dad lol amirite to holy poo poo this guy is a monster this family was pretty much going to go out sort of like in a few days whether the color out of space showed up or not.

Also I think I posted earlier, I LOOOOOVE the sound/mix/whatever in this movie. It's incredibly unsettling when it needs to be, basically flawless imo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Man Bites Dog is so weird, because its a fascinating and great movie right up till the ending that is so hilariously 90s post-Quentin Tarantino gangster movie explosion

That ending has confused me for a long time. The final image of the poem, and the crew being murdered is a nice touch I think, but the preamble where they try to make Ben sympathetic by killing his family/girlfriend really falls flat. We just watched this man gang rape a lady in front of her husband before disembowlling her, and now we're supposed to care about his wellbeing?