Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't understand Birds of Prey Harley not being "batshit crazy" when she very much is, she's just given an interior life beyond the wackiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

Birds of Prey was great and I honestly appreciate that DC has decided to try different approaches with their superhero stuff rather than just fitting it all into some mold. Birds of Prey might actually be the first actual good superhero movie in a long loving time.

Shazam! was a drat blast.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I haven't seen Shazam, but Aquaman was surprisingly weird and I appreciated the full lean into sword and sandal. Joker, as bad as it is, was at least something different from what we've come to expect from superhero movies.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't understand Birds of Prey Harley not being "batshit crazy" when she very much is, she's just given an interior life beyond the wackiness.

Yeah I agree. Maybe this person does not recall Harley purchasing a spotted hyena and keeping it in her house, literally crying over an egg sandwich, or breaking a notorious crime lord’s driver’s knees after she knew her immunity from reprisal had expired.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I haven't seen Shazam, but Aquaman was surprisingly weird and I appreciated the full lean into sword and sandal. Joker, as bad as it is, was at least something different from what we've come to expect from superhero movies.

Same. Even Joker has only worn down to a 3/5 for me. Aquaman is dumb in a really fun way. Didn’t see Shazam, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Harley was literally created when they randomly thought "why don't we make one of Jokers random thugs a woman" while making Batman the animated series, so yeah it's weird seeing people stress over the intentions of the character

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There were things I liked about Shazam, but most of that came from Zach Levi and the child cast. Everything around Mark Strong was clunky and felt like the worst parts of Kick rear end or something, and overall it felt cheap, like extremely Toronto.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Franchescanado posted:

He also had a huge issue with Rosie Perez being in the movie, and his argument was that he loved her in White Men Can't Jump? I really couldn't follow his logic.

Sounds like he doesn't like that women age.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Harley Quinn is poorly thought out enough that they keep saying she has a PhD but also keep saying she’s a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a physician and in the United States would have an MD. I guess she could have both but I’d guess it’s an oversight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Harley Quinn is poorly thought out enough that they keep saying she has a PhD but also keep saying she’s a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is a physician and in the United States would have an MD. I guess she could have both but I’d guess it’s an oversight.

She could be a psychiatrist that also has a PhD in something like abnormal psychology. Which would fit with the job she has at Arkham working with the criminally insane.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

axelblaze posted:

Harley was literally created when they randomly thought "why don't we make one of Jokers random thugs a woman" while making Batman the animated series, so yeah it's weird seeing people stress over the intentions of the character

Yeah. Harley made more sense to me after I got the Batman '66 boxset and saw that the villain of the week always had a gorgeous babe in his gang and Harley was Bruce Timm doing that in BTAS. It's pretty crazy that a character like that would go on to hold her own franchise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd also put even odds on the script saying MD, or just Doctor and an executive saying to change it to PhD because they thought that sounded better.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's pretty crazy that a character like that would go on to hold her own franchise.

Thank Suicide Squad, I guess!

josh04 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 17, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

Thank Suicide Squad, I guess!

She’s been a popular character in DCs comics for a long time now, and she’s always a big player in licensed stuff like Injustice. It just took someone as likeable as Margot Robbie to solidify a cinematic take on an already popular character.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'd also put even odds on the script saying MD, or just Doctor and an executive saying to change it to PhD because they thought that sounded better.

Yeah. Or it's an oversight or you could even contextualize it that she's lying/insane/it doesn't matter or have any actual bearing on the movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

She’s been a popular character in DCs comics for a long time now, and she’s always a big player in licensed stuff like Injustice. It just took someone as likeable as Margot Robbie to solidify a cinematic take on an already popular character.

Yeah, despite her beginings as an afterthought, it still can't be denied just how popular the character is. Like she;d easily be in the top ten most popular superhero comic characters and she probably is the single most popular female superhero comic character (with only Wonder Woman possibly being more popular).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. Harley made more sense to me after I got the Batman '66 boxset and saw that the villain of the week always had a gorgeous babe in his gang and Harley was Bruce Timm doing that in BTAS. It's pretty crazy that a character like that would go on to hold her own franchise.

On the other hand, the fact that the villain always had a gorgeous babe shows that its always been understood that there's something attractive in being a masked villain. I don't think its too terribly surprising that that dynamic was eventually explored, or that such an exploration would prove popular.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
They fact that Harley was a practicing physician before she ran into the Joker is so fuckin weird and I wish they leaned into that more. Like nothing about the character in her various incarnations reflects that part of her backstory at all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

porfiria posted:

They fact that Harley was a practicing physician before she ran into the Joker is so fuckin weird and I wish they leaned into that more. Like nothing about the character in her various incarnations reflects that part of her backstory at all.

Paul Dini explained it away in some comics in the B:TAS universe that she slept her way to her degree, and a lot of other stories adopted that factoid. Which sucks, because I think that idea is intensely sexist and I loving hate it, so I was glad to see BoP drop it completely.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

Doesn't Arkham Asylum let you listen to all of the interview tapes between them so you can hear her go from Dr. Quinzel to Harley Quinn?

And Birds of Prey spends 5ish minutes doing a TL;DR breakdown of her origin. A quick google shows that several of the post-B:TAS shows have explored that part of the character, and several comics have as well.

It's a comics thing. If you've had a question about a 30 year old character, it's probably showed up in several arcs. (I tend to read more Image and Vertigo stuff, and I have read Marvel way more than DC.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

axelblaze posted:

Specifically a woman that Bruce Timm could masturbate to

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I also thought Birds of Prey was really fun, and the best DC movie since Nolan's Bats.

It's flawed, but the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

This weekend, I got into a weird conversation with a guy who hated it. "Harley Quinn is supposed to be batshit insane, and she absolutely isn't in this movie!" Uh, yeah dude, the whole opening scene is addressing that this characterization is not that at all. So there's still gonna be people that hate it based on preconceived notions based on... some version of Harley Quinn? He also had a huge issue with Rosie Perez being in the movie, and his argument was that he loved her in White Men Can't Jump? I really couldn't follow his logic.

What?! People not liking a DC comic book character based on some entirely unfounded and vague preconceived idea of what the character is supposed to be? Color me shocked. Shocked I say! That's never happened before!

This is gonna be a real hot take, but imo not a single one of DCEUs capeflicks have been bad. Even Suicide Squad, the arguably worst of the lot, still had some interesting things going on and was at least ok-ish. Even Shazam, which I really disliked personally, was a pretty decent movie if you can stomach the cheesy 90's family humor.

The trick is of course to enjoy the films on their own merits instead of trying to compare them to the competition. I really like that they're letting directors actually go in their own direction instead of churning out the same movie over and over again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like we're at a point where the 80s throwback movies are so prevalent that they're coming to define this current moment in genre film. We should start calling movies like VFW "Neo-Grindhouse."

Other than that recent season of American Horror Story is this even a thing anymore? I feel like it died in 2012ish but maybe I just haven't been paying attention assuming we're talking about stuff like the Grindhouse spin-offs, The Final Girls, and Turbo Kid.

Basebf555 posted:

Makes me feel old because Harley Quinn is a character who was created in my lifetime and now there are people doing the whole NOT MY HARLEY thing. I wonder if kids today are going back and watching Batman TAS, and if so what they think of it.

The best thing about all of that nonsense is that Harley Quinn was originally just supposed to be a one off henchwoman for an episode or two of the cartoon. A lot of people aren't even aware that she wasn't originally a character in the comic books.

Franchescanado posted:

There's a weird thing about the telephone game of Harley Quinn's representation. Bruce Timm's Quinn isn't what I'd call "batshit crazy". I'm not too familiar with most of her appearances in DC's lines over the years, but in the stories I read that feature her, there's always a grounded aspect of her personality. The most unhinged portrayal, I guess, is the Arkham Asylum games, so maybe that's where it comes from. It's just a lame criticism when "redefining a character for film" is literally an inherent device of film adaptations of comics.

I think that Batmas TAS is getting a resurgence. It's been on Amazon Prime and Netflix, and it's still really relevant compared to what's happening with Harley's cartoon and all of the Teen Titans franchises. It's still the best Batman portrayal, if we're grading it on the curb of the tone/feel of the classic comics. And I think that keep it relevant.

I did think it was weird that they went with the cuter/softer Teen Titans art style and not the Bruce Timms art style for the cartoon segments, but that's nerd pedantry and Timms probably doesn't need more publicity.

I didn't see the movies but Harley Quinn in the current book (which has been around for several years now) is more wacky and madcap. I'm not sure I'd say "batshit crazy" as much as I'd say "kooky". Basically the character is more rooted in what she was like in the cartoon but just slightly amped up. Based on the look and what I see in the trailers, this version of the character is probably what they're using in the films. On the cartoon art style, remember that the Timm stuff only resonates with people in their 30s. They probably use the Teen Titans thing because it's going to be more familiar to teenagers and people in their early 20s.

TrixRabbi posted:

Shazam is really good because it doesn't forget that it's a comic book movie and superhero stuff always has a level of goofiness that can't be escaped. So instead of trying to be grimdark they just make it fun and give you characters you actually give a poo poo about. I like it a lot and would recommend it. It's a shame that this one just came and went without anyone really talking about it. It probably did decent enough box office because it didn't seem to grab the public too much.

Pirate Jet posted:

Paul Dini explained it away in some comics in the B:TAS universe that she slept her way to her degree, and a lot of other stories adopted that factoid. Which sucks, because I think that idea is intensely sexist and I loving hate it, so I was glad to see BoP drop it completely.

This is a bunch of dumb bullshit because in the show and various other media she's shown to be not just competent but really smart and there's a whole episode of TAS where she gets pissed off at the Joker treating her like a moron and goes off on her own and successfully captures Batman and nearly kills him with a scheme the Joker couldn't make work. The only reason she doesn't kill Batman is because the Joker turns up and is so embarrassed at being showed up like that and stops her. The episode ends with him bumbling off the roof of a train presumably to his death. Dini wrote an autobiographical story about some poo poo that happened to him that hosed up his life for a while and he admits to having this mean sexist streak for a while, so I'm curious to know if that "origin" is from that time. Where is Dickeye when you need her?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shazam was a pretty fun movie that I haven’t thought about at all since I saw it, which is fine.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Y'all should check out the new Harley Quinn animated series, it's really loving good!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't remember The Joker having negative eyeballs, maybe this is from that Mask of the Phantasm movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSNUL2hrQM

I haven't seen either Margot Robbie DC movies

Wasn't there some famously weird fan-art contest at DC where they were like "hey true believers send us your best picture of Harley Quinn dead in a bathtub and we'll put 'em in the letters pages" or something?

E: my mistake, the winner was going to get the drawing in a Harley Quinn book

https://www.tor.com/2013/09/16/dc-and-harley-quinn-writer-respond-to-artist-contest-controversy/

Imagine the loving garbage pile of Death of Marat gags they had

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 18, 2020

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When Batman moved from Fox to WB they changed the Batman style to be inline with the new Superman cartoon and most of the character designs suffered for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

Wasn't there some famously weird fan-art contest at DC where they were like "hey true believers send us your best picture of Harley Quinn dead in a bathtub and we'll put 'em in the letters pages" or something?

There was a contest to get a page or panel in the Harley comic and all the art prompts were "wacky" ways for Harley to commit suicide, including a toaster in the bath.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love BTAS and some of the episodes give me genuine strong emotions every time I rewatch them, but I still think Batman: Brave and the Bold is my favorite Batman show.

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't remember The Joker having negative eyeballs, maybe this is from that Mask of the Phantasm movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSNUL2hrQM

It's from New Adventures of Batman and Robin, an inferior follow up to BTAS that redesigned the characters and crammed in a bunch of sidekicks that lessen the appeal of that version of Batman. The episode in question is adapting an issue of the BTAS tie-in comic, which is why it's not as worthless as the rest of New Adventures.

And for the record, yeah, I do kinda think the modern Harley Quinn is so different from the one on BTAS that I can't really reconcile them as the same character. Which makes it a bit annoying that the modern version is 100 times more popular.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 18, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

And for the record, yeah, I do kinda think the modern Harley Quinn is so different from the one on BTAS that I can't really reconcile them as the same character

Tell me about it I hear she's improperly leading with her loving PhD instead of MD certificate lately

It's gauche, dude

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 18, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Peccadillo posted:

Tell me about it I hear she's improperly leading with her loving PhD instead of MD certificate lately

It's gauche, dude

It's just spot on characterization to show what a totally crazy bitch she is!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think the only BTAS character design that improved on the move to WB was Scarecrow. I actually like the style for Superman but for BTAS it was a pretty big visual downgrade from the more heavily noir-inspired look of the first seasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think the only BTAS character design that improved on the move to WB was Scarecrow. I actually like the style for Superman but for BTAS it was a pretty big visual downgrade from the more heavily noir-inspired look of the first seasons.

Superman's animation quality declines pretty massively from start to finish if you watch the show, and you can tell the exact moment they switched to digital animation. The first few episodes of Superman look as good as anything in BTAS, then it's allll downhill.

And I personally think Undertaker Scarecrow is not a very good redesign, although it's not nearly as bad as like, albino Catwoman.

E: And while I'm dogging on Superman, the Supergirl design should've landed Bruce Timm in jail.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 18, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Catwoman and Riddler were both hideous redesigns.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ogrods/status/1228629522888527877

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Pokemon two star is cancelled, due to photos/knuckles

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick 4 lookin poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy loving poo poo portrait of a lady on fire is amazing. It is like, imagine Hannibal the TV series, but with lesbians and no cannibalism

It also contains one of the best acting performances I’ve seen in several years

Edit: so many movies spoon feed you what the characters are feeling, but Portrait makes you lean in and pick up subtle acting clues. You’re forced to stare at these people constantly to understand them. The movie even encourages this! Almost every shot of a person is a powerful closeup, sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes loving, sometimes electrifying, as if these characters are themselves posing for portraits

Also, and most importantly I got to see a boob

The new power rankings:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 18, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

porfiria posted:

The new animated series does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

It's just spot on characterization to show what a totally crazy bitch she is!

Maybe she got a PhD...in crazy!!

Steve Yun posted:

Holy loving poo poo portrait of a lady on fire is amazing. It is like, imagine Hannibal the TV series, but with lesbians and no cannibalism

It also contains one of the best acting performances I’ve seen in several years

Edit: so many movies spoon feed you what the characters are feeling, but Portrait makes you lean in and pick up subtle acting clues. You’re forced to stare at these people constantly to understand them. The movie even encourages this! Almost every shot of a person is a powerful closeup, sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes loving, sometimes electrifying, as if these characters are themselves posing for portraits

Also, and most importantly I got to see a boob

Yeah, it's very, very good. Fantastic acting and direction. An excellent film all round. I really loved it. (Wife did too).