Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its cool that C has a million build systems and they are all awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

today i used nvidia's extensions to visual studio to build some cuda, so: agreed

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

within the last year i've run autotools builds that failed on "unnecessary" "legacy" checks because apple is doing exciting innovative things with breaking toolchains
why would you possibly want to compile anything for the most willfully non-standard linux like that nobody uses

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Zlodo posted:

why would you possibly want to compile anything for the most willfully non-standard linux like that nobody uses

i don't want to compile, but its what i get paid for, so

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nomnom Cookie posted:

phk writes entertainingly and with conviction, but he's also a unix philosophy dipshit who values architectural purity over working systems. his criticisms in that article boil down to "autotools is ugly"--true, but not important--and "it runs checks that I don't think are necessary because all the world is linux now (also freebsd though because i am a freebsd dev)". within the last year i've run autotools builds that failed on "unnecessary" "legacy" checks because apple is doing exciting innovative things with breaking toolchains

autotools is transparent and it works. i can take a tarball with a configure.ac and Makefile.am inside and build it with a few commands, and if that doesn't work then i've got configure to look at, I've got the Makefile, and I've got config.log. it's ugly bullshit, but it exists and you can debug failed builds. "clean" "lightweight" "elegant" alternative shitshows i've tried to build fall down horribly as soon as you try to figure out why the loving build failed.

plain make builds are the loving worst if your system is even a tiny bit different from what the author thought of handling

modern cmake is alright

the main criticism i have for autotools is that it's nearly impenetrable just from reading the docs. you shouldn't need a book to make heads or tails of something in 2020. Autotools by john calcote is a good book though. gets you to the point where the docs make sense

I did an auto tools configure today and it was checking for loving stdlib.h. then I tried to build the thing and it turned out to have a bunch of actual compatibility issues that auto tools didn’t check for. making me wonder what the point was supposed to be.

at least I didn’t notice it checking for fortran compilers this time. maybe they finally changed it to only do that if it’s actually maybe going to compile some fortran?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

I did an auto tools configure today and it was checking for loving stdlib.h. then I tried to build the thing and it turned out to have a bunch of actual compatibility issues that auto tools didn’t check for. making me wonder what the point was supposed to be.

at least I didn’t notice it checking for fortran compilers this time. maybe they finally changed it to only do that if it’s actually maybe going to compile some fortran?

autotools can check for all the fortran compilers it wants imo. it's just not worth caring about

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
fartron

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best build system for C Lang’s is:
- meson
- cmake
- bash scripts
- calling gcc by hand
- gradle
- auto tools
- killing yourself
- bazel

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
gcc -o fart *.c imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1229641258370355200

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I send apologies to University of Texas-ans, you may get to suffer my next project, wayfinding. Here are my golden rules that precisely every system I have ever seen break:

Rule 1: make the route obvious,

Rule 2: detail should be on the route not minor, irrelevant content. So many maps like to highlight cabinetry, wall thickness and whatever else the cartographer is masterbating over.

Rule 3: local location should be highlighted at center-bottom like every normal maps service, sticking random point on the screen is just confusing.

Oh gently caress.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c tp s: wpf is cool and good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yah it's also v microsoft to try and replace it like 3 times with demonstrably worse frameworks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what did they actually try to replace it with? isnt uwp just wpf but on dotnet core or something?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bloody posted:

what did they actually try to replace it with? isnt uwp just wpf but on dotnet core or something?

yes until no

(note: my experience is years out of date but I suspect little has changed)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ctps: poorly reinventing a tcplike network stack on top of modbus serial

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why not simply create tcp/modbus

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol you can do modbus over tcp

i like where this is headed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
use SLIP

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That PLC library which had the gaping security hole in linux for years I posted about before was libmodbus.

I feel like it's enough time since that I can say that.

So depending on how old your libraries are it might be safer to implement it yourself.

e: or just compile the library from source it's not that complicated, it's been fixed for about 2 years now

e2: I've also implemented kernel regmap interface/library for modbus over various things, it's not in-tree though

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 19, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

why not simply create tcp/modbus

Bloody posted:

lol you can do modbus over tcp

i like where this is headed

that would require more expensive hardware than we have that im trying to talk to. it's rs485 only and im just glad it's not ascii

Private Speech posted:

That PLC library which had the gaping security hole in linux for years I posted about before was libmodbus.

I feel like it's enough time since that I can say that.

So depending on how old your libraries are it might be safer to implement it yourself.

e: or just compile the library from source it's not that complicated, it's been fixed for about 2 years now

e2: I've also implemented kernel regmap interface/library for modbus over various things, it's not in-tree though

binding to libmodbus from rust was one of the options i was considering so uhhhh

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

gonadic io posted:

that would require more expensive hardware than we have that im trying to talk to. it's rs485 only and im just glad it's not ascii

binding to libmodbus from rust was one of the options i was considering so uhhhh

just compile from source, modbus is really simple and I don't think the library is all that complex, mainly the tcp stuff has some requirements but still

for rs485 it shouldn't even really matter security-wise anyway, since, you know, you're already kinda hosed if someone is splicing into your wires, TCP could be more problematic

e: or implement it yourself the protocol is trivial and at least you'll know that any buffer overflows and opening up ports on *.*.*.* is your own fault (not joking)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 19, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

iot bitches

on that subject I like this talk b/c yes its really accurate still:

Black Hat 2013 - Exploiting Network Surveillance Cameras Like a Hollywood Hacker

I've literally personally had the "vendor sends the password in plaintext as part of a proprietary login packet" happen to me.

AND they were mildly upset that we really insisted they fix it quick

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Private Speech posted:

just compile from source, modbus is really simple and I don't think the library is all that complex, mainly the tcp stuff has some requirements but still

for rs485 it shouldn't even really matter security-wise anyway, since, you know, you're already kinda hosed if someone is splicing into your wires, TCP could be more problematic

e: or implement it yourself the protocol is trivial and at least you'll know that any buffer overflows and opening up ports on *.*.*.* is your own fault (not joking)

yeah implementing it myself is reasonably likely, rust should help with the buffer overflows and there will be no ports involved whatsoever.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i've only just started on the spring boot docs and i've already seen several mentions of things being automatically set up if they're available on the classpath

getting a bit scared

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
spring is magic

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
also @Bean and @Autowired everywhere

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its not magic its just a terrifying abuse of reflection

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bloody posted:

its not magic its just a terrifying abuse of reflection

the main thing I hate about reflection is how much of a pain it is for code suggesters like intellisense and the like

by which I mean the best they usually do is just giving you a massive list and telling you to go hog wild gently caress yourself

e: this is even better in python where suggested argument types are rather important in any sizable codebase

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 19, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Spring is horrifying and I wrote my own URL router thing atop guice just to get away from it.

I should probably actually add some docs to that github repo at some point.

More to the point I'm not sure I'd start a new Java project these days if only because all the db access libraries in wide use are godawful

Yes that includes jooq

Why yes I would like my build system to connect to a db instance so that it can dump out the schema for codegen purposes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
you can use jooq to dump the schema to an xml file that can be used to generate the code from it instead of spinning up a db instance.

we have our CI spin up a docker container, then run all the migrations, then run the codegen.

it's pretty easy

jooq owns

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we have our CI spin up a docker container, then run all the migrations, then run the codegen.

it's pretty easy

our ci does that too and its godawful

Sapozhnik posted:

Spring is horrifying and I wrote my own URL router thing atop guice just to get away from it.

I should probably actually add some docs to that github repo at some point.

More to the point I'm not sure I'd start a new Java project these days if only because all the db access libraries in wide use are godawful

Yes that includes jooq

Why yes I would like my build system to connect to a db instance so that it can dump out the schema for codegen purposes

spring isn't the horrifying part of this post

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

suffix posted:

i've only just started on the spring boot docs and i've already seen several mentions of things being automatically set up if they're available on the classpath

getting a bit scared

this is how all of spring boot works and it sucks rear end op. it's not java you're writing anymore, it's spring boot

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i dislike annotation-heavy java libraries because all they really accomplish is turning compile errors into runtime errors

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Progressive JPEG posted:

i dislike annotation-heavy java libraries because all they really accomplish is turning compile errors into runtime errors

or, in the case of lombok, turning compile errors into internal compiler errors

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
cjs: I've been telling CTO for over a year now that it seems like it would be easier to just keep stateful systems running outside k8s and just use the k8s clusters for ephemeral containers that don't really need persistent volumes or anything between deployments. After another message bus outage (because CTO insisted on configuring the persistent volumes himself in openebs instead of paying the admittedly high prices for something like portworx) has him rethinking the whole approach, finally. I'm sure there's a way to do this, but our entire dev/ops/devops group is he and I, and I know less about k8s configuration than just about anybody, and he has about as much experience with k8s as I do, though he spends more of his work time actually working on ops issues, as I handle more of the dev side.

ha, just got a slack message, I guess the k8s node died and was replaced, and somehow that blew up the message bus containers because the pvc's got rebuilt? I thought k8s apps were supposed to be tolerant of node failure, but apparently OpenEBS can't automatically reattach volumes to the new replacement node when it loses a node with attached volumes. or something

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

cjs: I've been telling CTO for over a year now that it seems like it would be easier to just keep stateful systems running outside k8s and just use the k8s clusters for ephemeral containers that don't really need persistent volumes or anything between deployments. After another message bus outage (because CTO insisted on configuring the persistent volumes himself in openebs instead of paying the admittedly high prices for something like portworx) has him rethinking the whole approach, finally. I'm sure there's a way to do this, but our entire dev/ops/devops group is he and I, and I know less about k8s configuration than just about anybody, and he has about as much experience with k8s as I do, though he spends more of his work time actually working on ops issues, as I handle more of the dev side.

ha, just got a slack message, I guess the k8s node died and was replaced, and somehow that blew up the message bus containers because the pvc's got rebuilt? I thought k8s apps were supposed to be tolerant of node failure, but apparently OpenEBS can't automatically reattach volumes to the new replacement node when it loses a node with attached volumes. or something

Thread title, OP

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

Thread title, OP

lmao, CTO just dropped in slack #general "daughter fell down, gotta run"

Last thing he said to me was "I need to login to the new node and install iSCSI and attach the new ebs volume."

I do not have any AWS perms for accessing any of this.

CTO took thread title advice I guess

Meanwhile, production is still down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I need to write some user documentation for a project I'm working on. I was thinking about writing a bunch of markdown and then using pandoc to build/convert it all to pdf

how terrible is this idea, is there a better way?

the end result has to be pdf or word docs that can be distributed to the user