Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hogama posted:

Not bad at all, but I had a few of them so if anybody wants to grab them without the bundle, feel free.

Sh*rlock: PKGPA-K0*QF-PITJ8

Yoink. Thanks for saving me a few bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1229193661943971840

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

zedprime posted:

12 year old me: what excuse can I use to get out of cutting the grass this week?
30 year old me: if I cut these video game trees down and plant grass there I can get two more passes which means 4 more video game bales of silage

The Simpsons was really ahead of its time:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiovorax posted:

It's definitely the best bundle I've seen on Fanatical in quite a while. All-around recommended and great value for the money.

Fanatical is great, there are occasional gems but it's just a great source of berserk eurojank for almost nothing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I need to see Dooskfella do a flip before I can call this good

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Cool product.

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1229450438992285696

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sebmojo posted:

Fanatical is great, there are occasional gems but it's just a great source of berserk eurojank for almost nothing
I used to love it four or five years ago and bought at least twenty or thirty bundles there over the years, but in recent times, it seems that except for single-game sales or small bundles, the only thing they ever seem to have is stuff like Hidden Object shovelware games and re-runs. It kinda sucks because it used to be my favourite bundle site and I still get its newsletter, but I feel like they have a pretty limited stable of games and I haven't really seen anything except stuff I already bought there in ages. This bundle is a breath of fresh air, I hope they keep it up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hwurmp posted:

I need to see Dooskfella do a flip before I can call this good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNgInsfLsU

Older version of the mod but there ya go at 0:35. Dooskfella can in fact tumble through the air.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The new Magical Diary game (from the creator of Long Live the Queen and Black Closet) is out now!!

as a kickstarter backer I played through the early content and it's real good

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

OutOfPrint posted:

Fanatical's bundle blast event is now live, with new bundles coming out fast. The latest as of this post has The Surge 1 as part of the $3.99 for the price of the bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-12

The rest of the games aren't super great, but that's the lowest price I've seen for The Surge.

The bundle is nuts. Didn't think I'd see KoFXIV in a bundle any time soon.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The Wonder Boy remake is really cool and well-done on the technical side but the gameplay is not good at all. It plays exactly like the 30-year old game it is.

worth taking a look at just to see what a good job lizardcube did.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It is a very good 30-year-old game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Speaking of good 30 year-old games, the SNK collection is worth picking up on the cheap just for Crystalis. It was one of the best games on the NES, and it's competitive with a lot of modern indie games. Anything else there that you like is a bonus.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ultrafilter posted:

Speaking of good 30 year-old games, the SNK collection is worth picking up on the cheap just for Crystalis. It was one of the best games on the NES, and it's competitive with a lot of modern indie games. Anything else there that you like is a bonus.

Frank Cifaldi was involved with it. Mega Man: Legacy Collection, Disney Afternoon Collection, Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection. If he did something for a collection it’s more than just roms running on an emulator.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Samuringa posted:

It is a very good 30-year-old game.
eh, not really, even compared to old games. There are some interesting aspects to it but there's a bunch of old platformers better than it and hundreds more that came out since. It's more of a museum piece than anything. Super simplistic gameplay and frustrating design decisions like making you have to collect money bags from enemies instead of just getting the money for killing them, but the bags are set to drop in a way that you have to constantly stop your flow of movement to touch them and a number of other things like that.

I like Wonder Boy/Monster World games but this is not one I'd recommend to most people.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Not sure if I mentioned this in the previous thread but "Heaven's Vault" is an extremely cool video game, I have like 50 hours in it and loved every second.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

I loved the GBC version, how does it compare to the NES one? I understand there were some pretty big differences.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved the GBC version, how does it compare to the NES one? I understand there were some pretty big differences.

The GBC version is terrible. Smaller screen real estate and it fucks with balance by doing something with the elemental swords that I don't recall the specifics of but it makes certain areas a real pain in the rear end.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hey, are we talking about weird old Japanese games? 'Cause I've got something for that!

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO

17. Umihara Kawase

It’s hard to review games you suck at. For starters, you have to be honest about why you suck at it, whether it be flaws in the game or flaws in yourself. Here I can tell you it’s a little bit of the former and a lot of the latter, because Umihara Kawase is a game that is not shy about its challenge. From the moment you first cast your line and try to swing from or scale an obstacle, you’ll be wrangling tricky physics and perilous drops every step of the way. Even the most basic crossings will make you sweat, and once you see how many levels and paths through them there are, you’ll be wondering what kind of superhuman could even hope to ascend them.

Umihara Kawase is a young girl and sushi chef, out on a momentous journey to… collect fish to cook, maybe? Her trip takes her to some rather odd collections of floating platforms and doors, populated by giant fish and crustaceans she can stuff into her backpack. She’s wisely brought along a fishing rod for this expedition, which allows her to catch things to stuff into her backpack and also grapple along the many platforms in her way. Depending on how handy she is with her rod, she’ll find many paths through this fever-dream land and face larger and larger sea life that stands in her way. Only by mastering the use of her fishing rod will she have any hope of making it through to the end.

It’s important to note that Umihara Kawase was originally a Super Nintendo game, because it’s going to feel like one of those free Japanese games you downloaded from some untranslated site in the 00’s because your friend heard from a friend on the internet it was good. Everything about this feels impossibly niche, from the tiny resolution to the lack of options to the inscrutable mechanics. There’s a lot that’s never explained here, like why you can reel enemies in and stuff them in your backpack (I will never get over this), or why enemies spawn constantly out of nowhere, or why you have such a tight time limit to get where you’re going. This also isn’t a linear game, with multiple exits out of most levels and virtually no logic to the numbering of levels at all.

Some folks will no doubt be captivated by all this weirdness, but for everyone else, the gameplay provides the real appeal here. Your little chef can run and jump but her real method of conveyance is her fishing rod, which can be cast in all eight directions and hooks onto any surface or enemy. Once attached it acts like an elastic grapple, swinging and bouncing Umihara hither and thither. Swinging across gaps is the obvious utility here but the springiness of the line can launch her onto all sorts of platforms. You can hook onto conveyors to get carried around, latch onto the undersides of platforms to swing around, and dodge enemies by hooking the floor and leaping away. And of course, you can do away with foes by reeling them in to be consigned to the abyss of your backpack.

Hooking a platform and swinging to safety is a real thrill, and chaining swings together to traverse large portions of the level or skip areas entirely is immensely gratifying. The challenge is gaining a command of your rod that actually allows for that. In my brief time with the game I managed a handful of breathtaking acts, and spent all the other time eating poo poo. Levels are not designed to be clear or forgiving (and neither are the aggressive enemy spawns) so you have to be ready to experiment and confident in your skills. I am clearly not, since I couldn’t even get past the first boss which had perfectly clear mechanics I couldn’t execute.

If you want to enjoy Umihara Kawase, you have to be ready to get good at it. This isn’t a game you pick up for a few minutes at a time and play, this is a game where you practice routes and maneuvers until you can execute them on command. The speedrunner crowd can surely have a field day with this, while the rest of us mortals have to consider how much effort getting through these 50 or so levels is. For my part I love the mechanics and the satisfaction of nailing swings, but I’d rather not contend with the eternally-respawning fish and nonsensical level progression. This is a clever, gratifying game that not many people will be able to hang with, and I’d like to imagine I’ll be one of those people someday.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

As far as I can tell this version is more or less identical to the NES version.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Watch Dogs 2...not bad, not bad. Entertaining writing, great voice acting, coherent (if sometimes a bit juvenile) theme and atmosphere. Using the various tools at your disposal to finish a specific mission was fun. I especially liked playing around with the RC and the Quadcopter.

The least inspired part was probably the combat, which was occasionally unavoidable, already a strange design choice when your game is ostensibly about a group of stealthy hackers. Also, nearly all of the vehicles handled like poo poo (I imagine that's the case even with a controller) and the mandatory chase sequences were just awful.

All in all, good game, too bad it apparently didn't sell that well.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Umihara Kawase is one of those games you have to be satisfied with not beating. There's so much weird gameplay depth but it's hard as hell and you have to be okay with replaying levels a ton. The second game is easier but not quite as good. The first of the modern releases didn't do much for me though it's stage based so you don't have to beat it in one fell swoop. Original game had the best ~feel~ when it came to grappling speed/momentum.

also need to add I love that the ui in the first game is splashed right in the middle of the screen like it was made by someone that had no idea what they were doing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phlegmish posted:

All in all, good game, too bad it apparently didn't sell that well.
It's not really the fault of Watchdogs 2 being a bad game so much as it being a game that really does nothing particularly interesting of its own. It's an alright and even a really good game... if you've not played the standard Ubisoft Open World Game enough to be heartily sick of it. If you have, then it's the lack of unique ideas (and particularly the lack of new unique ideas over Watchdogs 1) that makes it feel like less than it really is. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hey, are we talking about weird old Japanese games? 'Cause I've got something for that!

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

After reading this I'm hoping you pay Getting Over It. I didn't find it already reviewed on your site

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hackan Slash posted:

After reading this I'm hoping you pay Getting Over It. I didn't find it already reviewed on your site

I got my first computer mouse in over a decade and I think this will be my first game with it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Rolo posted:

I got my first computer mouse in over a decade and I think this will be my first game with it.

Better get a second one just in case, then, because this game is hard for a reason.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

I found the GBC version to be unplayable back in the day. I think actual content-wise they were pretty similar (if not identical) but I never got far. The tiny view area alone was a nightmare even without the timing issues and other weird idiosyncrasies of the port. If you could stomach it on the GBC, you will probably love the original. It is easily one of the best games on the NES.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not really the fault of Watchdogs 2 being a bad game so much as it being a game that really does nothing particularly interesting of its own. It's an alright and even a really good game... if you've not played the standard Ubisoft Open World Game enough to be heartily sick of it. If you have, then it's the lack of unique ideas (and particularly the lack of new unique ideas over Watchdogs 1) that makes it feel like less than it really is. That probably has a lot to do with it.

The hacking scenes where you're flying around solving a room sized puzzle are great.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Watch Dogs 2 is good but they should have leaned into the wacky teen vibe harder and had the courage to get rid of guns completely.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Watch Dogs 3 is going to be entirely knives.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hackan Slash posted:

I let people request games for me to stream and I've been mentally preparing myself for the day someone finally sticks me with it.

Anyway, I went through the Weeklong Deals again and there's a whole mess of stuff to recommend. The Far Cry series is on sale, Banished is on sale, indie gems like Refunct and Dark Scavenger are on sale, and so on. I made a big list to peruse right here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Underwhelmed posted:

I found the GBC version to be unplayable back in the day. I think actual content-wise they were pretty similar (if not identical) but I never got far. The tiny view area alone was a nightmare even without the timing issues and other weird idiosyncrasies of the port. If you could stomach it on the GBC, you will probably love the original. It is easily one of the best games on the NES.

Good to know! I definitely had some problems with the GBC one but I was 10 and it was exactly my poo poo on some weird level. I’ll totally get that pack then.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my brother was just expounding to me today about the pack where crystalis was a multi-hour super epic game we sunk afternoons into as 5-6 year olds but when he picked it up in the collection earlier this year he made it to picking up the water sword within 40 minutes, so

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ghostlight posted:

Watch Dogs 3 is going to be entirely knives.
It is going to be stealthy grandma's. Thousands of them.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Pwnstar posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is good but they should have leaned into the wacky teen vibe harder and had the courage to get rid of guns completely.

I couldn't agree more, as long as you mean player guns.

Sitting in a parked car across the street and getting rid of every guard in a compound by using the drone to start gang1 vs gang2 vs SWAT threeway fights somehow never got old :allears:

Phlegmish posted:

Also, nearly all of the vehicles handled like poo poo (I imagine that's the case even with a controller).

I'd say driving is...just about adequate with a controller. I'd never go as far as 'good', game falls a long way short of GTA in that respect.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Bought Bundlestars' Cryptic Bundle 9 because I love me some hidden object jank, had half of it already so have some - possibly UK only - keys:

Chronicles of Magic: Divided *ingdoms
*JFW3-E66FJ-NRBPA

En*less Fables 3: *ark Moor
JJ0JR-6*5V3-P2XY6

Los* Grimoires 3: *he Forgo**en Well
KRL4E-BKHY4-3Z3J*

My *rother Ra**it
JH204-5*MNI-EDTW9

*ueen's *uest 4: Sacred Truce
KF6B5-TNCVB-5*FH3

kiffkin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 18, 2020

Adhibhautika
Feb 28, 2004
Evil Beast of a Thousand bodies
Yeah here, have some of mine as well :

The Surge: *RK0I-QWPAD-BTEBG
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter A6234-L83XX-*0G3E

* = Four

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Adhibhautika posted:

Yeah here, have some of mine as well :

The Surge: *RK0I-QWPAD-BTEBG
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter A6234-L83XX-*0G3E

* = Four

Both of these have been taken :/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I don't want to use the 'ludonarrative dissonance' cliché too much, but the game definitely has some tonally weird parts in context. Especially near the end with the over-the-top action sequence where Wrench is just blowing up poo poo and killing massive numbers of guards, all while making quips and listening to Anti-Flag.

It's the kind of game I might have made at age 16, but I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

kiffkin posted:

Bought Bundlestars' Cryptic Bundle 9 because I love me some hidden object jank, had half of it already so have some - possibly UK only - keys:

En*less Fables 3: *ark Moor
Los* Grimoires 3: *he Forgo**en Well
*ueen's *uest 4: Sacred Truce

No-one must like HOGs much, as I got a few of these. Thanks mate!
I hope I don't miss a lot of complex story by not having the previous episodes. What if I don't know the detailed backstory of the beautiful woman who discovers she is from a long line of witches and has to save her handsome husband from an equally-pretty enchantress?