Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Earlier in this thread I had been wondering why I see so few of these vehicles in nyc. Lately it’s been catching on I think, I saw these just in the last few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Snowy posted:

Earlier in this thread I had been wondering why I see so few of these vehicles in nyc.
Suddenly, hipsters.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Snowy posted:

Earlier in this thread I had been wondering why I see so few of these vehicles in nyc. Lately it’s been catching on I think, I saw these just in the last few days

It pains me that those poor things are in the Land Of Rust.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Darchangel posted:

It pains me that those poor things are in the Land Of Rust.

I bought this kit for that reason. Bridge paint. Like Papa used to breath in.

https://nomorerust.com/store/home/14-mastercoat-super-special-chassis-kit.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

French Canadian posted:

Bridge paint. Like Papa used to breath in.
I wish that were true. Proper Red lead paint has been effectively banned here for nearly thirty years

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Fluid film in the fall then one or two times more during the winter. It's nontoxic and the best rust proofing I've found, having spent almost 30 years living in MN before moving to the mountains.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I wish that were true. Proper Red lead paint has been effectively banned here for nearly thirty years

Well they did use it to paint a huge bridge...but sure, no lead. But it does still have this aluminum flake which I guess por-15 lacks now and apparently it's easier to get to stick. I hear all these stories of people trying to prep for por and then it flakes off.

And yeah fluid film looks really good though I went with this other product called noxudol.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 15, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, am I remembering correctly that if I import a car from Korea, it'll be a left-hand drive one? Are there any sites specializing in left-hand drive minitrucks? I was looking at this and experiencing profound TruckLust but I am not a skilled enough driver to gently caress around with a right-hand drive dealy.

Missed this question before. The country doesn't determine the car in a finalized way, you can import LHD cars from Japan (see every Lancia ever) just as easy and the typical RHD Skyline. As for getting something exported from Korea I have no idea how that works. You also don't get the piece of mind in getting something maintained in Japan with their super-strict rules.
As for driving on right I'll say it again: it is a total non-issue. You'll flip the wipers on when you go to signal a couple times and that's it. Same rules, same flow, you're just sitting on the other side of the car. Most of the people we sell to are first time right hand drivers and they all adapt in actual minutes.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

more like onee-chan service

I still have the 'P-Dream' sticker on the back of my Rugger.

French Canadian posted:

Kaker did you find that on a Japanese lot you mean?

I did yeah.
everdave asked me in a PM about buying off a dealer lot so I'll answer that question here for everyone else.

Buying off a dealer lot in Japan is only a little different than buying at auction. You do it in the same way as an auction, just you send a link to whatever car on whatever lot in Japan. There are two main websites I used to do this, https://www.carsensor.net/ and https://www.goo-net.com/. There is an english goo-net that you can use but the pictures are lower quality so I always smash through and browse the JDM website. I find whatever I am interested in and send them to Yoshi. He then gets back to me and lets me know, and you go from there if you want to buy it or not.

Differences from Auctions:
- More relaxed experience since you aren't trying to scramble to decide to buy it because you aren't trying rush to meet a deadline
- You know exactly what you are going to pay
- Usually a ton more pictures
- No third-party inspections like with auctions
- More expensive, dealers gotta make their margin
- Overall quality of the vehicles is higher since they are selling to Japanese citizens and the vehicles usually have to meet their requirements

While you are buying from "a dealer" it isn't at all like buying from a US dealer. There is zero negotiation, none at all. Price listed is the price you pay. Also, you might not be able to actually buy whatever it is either, some dealers won't sell 'wholesale' which is how Japan Car Direct (or any exporter) buys off dealer lots. Sometimes you will even run into dealers that won't want to sell a vehicle that's going to get exported out of Japan. Not that your exporter will tell them but sometimes the dealer will find out. And as mentioned, you don't get to negotiate, you pay the price listed. Because you can't get an inspection you are taking a slightly higher risk, but since these guys are selling to the Japanese public they have to be in decent shape just because of Japanese road laws.

Snowy posted:

I see both have 'delicausa' decals on them. Those were $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is my guess.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

KakerMix posted:

Missed this question before. The country doesn't determine the car in a finalized way, you can import LHD cars from Japan (see every Lancia ever) just as easy and the typical RHD Skyline. As for getting something exported from Korea I have no idea how that works. You also don't get the piece of mind in getting something maintained in Japan with their super-strict rules.
As for driving on right I'll say it again: it is a total non-issue. You'll flip the wipers on when you go to signal a couple times and that's it. Same rules, same flow, you're just sitting on the other side of the car. Most of the people we sell to are first time right hand drivers and they all adapt in actual minutes.

oh that's cool, i'll keep an eye out for LHD minitrucks too. excellent point on the history of maintenance, though, I hadn't even considered that.

The reason I'm trying to avoid RHD is because I'm bad at driving. I know you've probably dealt with a lot of people who are bad at driving, but please believe me when I say I'm bad enough that noone ever asks me for rides to the airport.

I'm, I just don't need to stack the deck further against myself, you know? I don't even gently caress with handheld electronics while driving. I've only had one roadkill incident (turkey) but I have been the cause of considerable accidental damage to municiple properties. I'm fairly gunshy about cars because of that.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

But what if you’re a RHD savant? The Rainman of RHD?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
sadly there's no superbowl for "plowing through mailboxes after spilling hot bisque down my dress."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

oh that's cool, i'll keep an eye out for LHD minitrucks too. excellent point on the history of maintenance, though, I hadn't even considered that.

The reason I'm trying to avoid RHD is because I'm bad at driving. I know you've probably dealt with a lot of people who are bad at driving, but please believe me when I say I'm bad enough that noone ever asks me for rides to the airport.

I'm, I just don't need to stack the deck further against myself, you know? I don't even gently caress with handheld electronics while driving. I've only had one roadkill incident (turkey) but I have been the cause of considerable accidental damage to municiple properties. I'm fairly gunshy about cars because of that.

I mean there are no left hand drive minitrucks you are going to get out of Japan, just that you can import vehicles that aren't RHD from Japan, but they are always European. To get a LHD minitruck it will have to be some copy (licensed or otherwise) from somewhere like Korea, but I have my doubts that they will be as quality as an original Honda/Diahatsu/Subaru/Mitsubishi one directly from Japan.

What if you got an automatic one? The LiteAce you posted earlier, while being way to new to import in to the USA, do come in automatic including the camper variants. Click down the year to 1995 though for legality :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

I mean there are no left hand drive minitrucks you are going to get out of Japan, just that you can import vehicles that aren't RHD from Japan, but they are always European. To get a LHD minitruck it will have to be some copy (licensed or otherwise) from somewhere like Korea, but I have my doubts that they will be as quality as an original Honda/Diahatsu/Subaru/Mitsubishi one directly from Japan.

The 90s Suzuki Carry is still made to this day in Vietnam, couldn't easily find an exact start date, but according to news articles they were making "motorcycles and light trucks" when they started in '96, so those will be eligible for import next year. In addition to being RHD, they use the F10A which is a 970cc motor that can be retrofitted with fuel injection from a newer model (some guys from the Aussie Carry Owners group have done this).

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 16, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
A Blizzard blew in :smugdog:

turbo WAGON
SX5 means TOP TRIM so it has a pretty plush interior compared to the other Ruggers I've had. The exterior is pretty fantastic, I thought the decals were in ok shape but they actually look very good, especially the 'turbowagon' on the sides. Grill will need to be repainted it looks like. I love the wheels, like a lot and even has the rear center caps. Don't know if the winch on the front is electric or PTO, both were available at the time. Interior is decent, a lot of the plastics look pretty worn, but that's ok. That steering wheel is...something. Maybe it will grow on me. Under the hood is the 2L-T, same engine in all sorts of 80s Toyotas including the 85 Hilux Surf we had.
The first maroon vehicle for us.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Saw a Figaro for the first time in Orlando today. Isn’t that a Duncan import specialty? Unless they imported it themselves, I imagine they got it from Duncan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cacafuego posted:

Saw a Figaro for the first time in Orlando today. Isn’t that a Duncan import specialty? Unless they imported it themselves, I imagine they got it from Duncan.

Duncan has a whole lot of them but they are extremely easy to import. There are thousand importers in Florida alone so if they didn't get it themselves my guess is they bought it locally, either in the state or Orlando itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Out of curiosity, how often do 89-93 Integras pop up?

And just how horribly are they priced?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Every so often, I didn’t bid on a low mile R grade and it just went for like 205 recently, but I have seen them go for 800+

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We may need to talk about a car at some point in the future then. :v:

I had a 91 at one point... Loved it even though it broke on me a lot. A 93 GS-R just popped up locally and kinda rekindled that, but (a) it has 308k (trans and head recently rebuilt, though it actually still has the super rare B17 engine in it), and (b) he wants an insane amount for it. Very much a case of "I NO WUT I GOT", except he does know what he has.

Finding a 92-93 GS-R is rare enough, finding one that actually still has a B17 in it is insanely difficult. Most of them were stolen (just like the EP3 Civics) and stripped for their drivetrain - the ones still on the road usually have later model B18 GSR motors.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Why do you want the B17?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Now when I said R grade I didn’t mean R type. But you can find under 100k mile 5 speed stock integras yes. Sometimes they slip through at a decent price and sometimes they go super high. But it is definitely not even a weekly occurrence I see one maybe one a month with decent miles.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

For any Wisco goons reference, know that all DMVs, even in podunk towns, will make you mail your poo poo in if you don't have a US title from some state already.

So I just mailed all my things in. And I have to wait 6-8 weeks for the presumably bad news.

Wish me luck death.

On a positive note, Doug Demuro told me personally that he had to mail his stuff in too, in PA, and it worked out. There is hope death.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dphi posted:

Why do you want the B17?

Not necessarily for me, but it's mostly because they're so rare. It was only used in the 92-93 Integra GSRs in the US, AFAIK. I haven't seen a B17 engine in person in nearly 20 years, though I've seen a handful of 2nd gen GSRs in that time. They all had a later model GSR or "Type R":argh: engine in them.

I miss my 2nd gen Integra a whole lot, even though it was a pedestrian LS hatch with an automatic, and that car loved to break down. A friend also misses his, but he's had his eyes open for a 2nd gen GSR.

I ran across a 92 GS-R on FB Marketplace yesterday. 302k miles :stonkhat: - original motor, head rebuilt 1k miles ago (somebody ignored the timing belt is my guess), transaxle supposedly rebuilt 10k ago by an Acura dealer (I want to know how the gently caress they pulled that off, finding parts for ANY 2nd gen Integra transaxle is impossible today - they're the only cable-clutch B series gearbox used in the US). That car looked minty fresh - even the interior was super clean. The DA cars generally have ripped side bolsters by 100k, the seats looked almost new in this (with the OEM pattern on the upholstery). Hell, I even have a DA driver's seat in the garage that I found by someone's garbage; I keep meaning to clean it up and post it on g2ic. The driver's side bolster is worn, but not ripped, on it..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 18, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Not necessarily for me, but it's mostly because they're so rare. It was only used in the 92-93 Integra GSRs in the US, AFAIK. I haven't seen a B17 engine in person in nearly 20 years, though I've seen a handful of 2nd gen GSRs in that time. They all had a later model GSR or "Type R":argh: engine in them.

I miss my 2nd gen Integra a whole lot, even though it was a pedestrian LS hatch with an automatic, and that car loved to break down. A friend also misses his, but he's had his eyes open for a 2nd gen GSR.

I ran across a 92 GS-R on FB Marketplace yesterday. 302k miles :stonkhat: - original motor, head rebuilt 1k miles ago (somebody ignored the timing belt is my guess), transaxle supposedly rebuilt 10k ago by an Acura dealer (I want to know how the gently caress they pulled that off, finding parts for ANY 1st or 2nd gen Integra transaxle is impossible today - they're the only cable-clutch B series gearbox used in the US). That car looked minty fresh - even the interior was super clean. The DA cars generally have ripped side bolsters by 100k, the seats looked almost new in this (with the OEM pattern on the upholstery). Hell, I even have a DA driver's seat in the garage that I found by someone's garbage; I keep meaning to clean it up and post it on g2ic. The driver's side bolster is worn, but not ripped, on it..

I will post a link next one I see, I will see if I dig up the last one auction results. I remember now why I didn't bid BECAUSE MY BROKER FORGOT TO ENTER THE BID. I would have won it. Forgot about that.

Here you go, 70k km, sold for 215. I would have won this my bid was 305 but it didn't get entered

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-2tYXBeXCxJgCm99.htm

everdave fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 18, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus wept, that's essentially the RHD version of my old car, but with a 1.6L vs the 1.8 I had.

Looks like a 92+ if the front turn signals and rear tails are to be believed; mine was a 91. Same color, and I had the JDM headlamps on mine too (those fuckers are amazing; no blinding oncoming traffic, and they light up the road like the sun... downside is tracking down H4H bulbs).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Pour one out for my Homy...

14k actual miles. Turbo diesel 4wd. Just won a few minutes ago

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 19, 2020

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

Pour one out for my Homy...

14k actual miles. Turbo diesel 4wd. Just won a few minutes ago

We had an NA diesel 2WD Homy at one of my jobs as a people mover, hauling kids at a school. Only ever had to feed it consumables, and it just kept on trucking. Hilariously slow though, and when loaded on the open road you had to be careful not to hit the kick down switch because all that did was increase the revs way out of the power band and slow the thing down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

French Canadian posted:

I bought this kit for that reason. Bridge paint. Like Papa used to breath in.

https://nomorerust.com/store/home/14-mastercoat-super-special-chassis-kit.html

Oh, hey! Thanks for that, actually. I'm in TX, but always on the lookout for a good chassis paint.
POR-15 is OK, but pricey and a bit finicky. [url=https://www.kbs-coatings.com/]KBS Coatings[/ur] also has a similar system that looks pretty good, BTW.

KakerMix posted:

A Blizzard blew in :smugdog:

turbo WAGON
SX5 means TOP TRIM so it has a pretty plush interior compared to the other Ruggers I've had. The exterior is pretty fantastic, I thought the decals were in ok shape but they actually look very good, especially the 'turbowagon' on the sides. Grill will need to be repainted it looks like. I love the wheels, like a lot and even has the rear center caps. Don't know if the winch on the front is electric or PTO, both were available at the time. Interior is decent, a lot of the plastics look pretty worn, but that's ok. That steering wheel is...something. Maybe it will grow on me. Under the hood is the 2L-T, same engine in all sorts of 80s Toyotas including the 85 Hilux Surf we had.
The first maroon vehicle for us.

Hey, does that have a turbo? I can't tell - the markings aren't clear. :hurr:
I love that every available surface has "turbo" on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Oh...oh my. This is lovely. :swoon:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I hate this thread so bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

meatpimp posted:

:ok:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

meatpimp posted:

Well it loves you mister :mad:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

:nice:
That's a great photo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rad AF

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
""The new TRD Sport 4Runner is so big on the outside, so small on the inside, and is sixty thousand loving dollars and I can't figure out why"

Sold our KZ Prado to a local couple. They have a nice USDM 80 series but the dash started to crack and boy the husband was not happy. I think it was one of those things where they actually fell out of love with it and then anything bad or negative about it becomes and excuse to get rid of it. They want to replace it, looked at new 4Runners. The quote above is from the wife, the husband loves Toyotas so as far as he's concerned they can do no wrong. On the test drive they were both super surprised by how the KZ Prado drive, the wife especially claimed that it was much faster and more nimble than their 80. They found the Prado via Facebook, specifically my wife's account. Contacted us, set up a time, came, looked, and I suppose fell in love.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice sale...sell one buy 5 more, that is my motto!

I have FOUR going on the boat Thursday. Bucket Truck, Mazda Fire, Crazy Atlas camper and finally my 84 Honda Acty Street Van...my buddy's Prado will be on the same boat as well. The Hoegh Tokyo if anyone else got a boat buddy on there

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Nice sale...sell one buy 5 more, that is my motto!

I have FOUR going on the boat Thursday. Bucket Truck, Mazda Fire, Crazy Atlas camper and finally my 84 Honda Acty Street Van...my buddy's Prado will be on the same boat as well. The Hoegh Tokyo if anyone else got a boat buddy on there

poo poo yeah we've got 5 (!) that are going to be here in a couple weeks. Rugger, Rasheen, Beat, Alto Works and Pajero Mini. Very good thing we've sold most of our inventory in the last few weeks as we needed the room!

Also, DOCK PICS

MAD DOGZ

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

gently caress, that thing is perfect.

Also I want that key (I mean, and the truck, too, obvs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

24 volt? :confused: