Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
angra, bazett, and caren are the best characters nasu's ever written

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Redo carnival Phantasm but give Sakura good sketches

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
its hosed up she didnt get to be in the grand prix

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bazett is the Fate character I like relate to the most and all the emotional catharsis she gets is so good

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Also nthing that Hollow/Ataraxia is good and I feel like it really informs the story structures you find in FGO where there's a lot of dumb, but funny poo poo, but a lot of serious plot and drama for the main story parts too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
UBW Abridged put out its sixth episode today, which continues to be very entertaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I don't really have any problem with Shinji just being an evil rear end in a top hat (His motivation/backstory seems reasonably well established to me anyways in the VN), though it does beg the question why Shirou was ever friends with this guy to begin with.

It's more that it would have been more interesting if he were written as more of an ambiguous character. Shinji has legitimate reasons to feel inadequate and angry, or to be envious of Sakura, and that could lead him to do bad things without taking it to a ridiculous mustache-twirling level. And I don't mean that he should be redeemed or anything, but he comes off as kind of comically/unrealistically malicious.

Also, while not solely a Shinji thing, the whole Sakura situation has some pretty big issues in terms of "sexual violence as a plot device."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not really a plot device so much as the entire point of the story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It's more that it would have been more interesting if he were written as more of an ambiguous character. Shinji has legitimate reasons to feel inadequate and angry, or to be envious of Sakura, and that could lead him to do bad things without taking it to a ridiculous mustache-twirling level. And I don't mean that he should be redeemed or anything, but he comes off as kind of comically/unrealistically malicious.

Also, while not solely a Shinji thing, the whole Sakura situation has some pretty big issues in terms of "sexual violence as a plot device."
I uh, wouldn't really call it a 'plot device.' Sexual violence as a plot device refers to situations where sexual assault is used purely to move the plot along or establish something about the villain committing it or the characters that know the victim, and nothing about the victim's feelings are explored. And regardless of your opinions on Heaven's Feel, the entire scenario is a setup to explore Sakura's character and give her catharsis. The plot angles exist to make Sakura's emotions and feelings on her abuse more relevant to the overall story, her abuse doesn't exist to move the story along.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rand Brittain posted:

UBW Abridged put out its sixth episode today, which continues to be very entertaining.

Archer continuously being shocked and frustrated by the Fate vs. UBW timelines will never not be hilarious.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I thought it was a weaker episode but the moon bit was pretty good

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Easily the best episode of Babylonia this week. Probably the best episode possible, since it delivered the double Rin shriek, previously spoken of only in fable and myth.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the best episode will probably remain 11

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

So, as someone who hasn't seen the wider Fate stuff who wants to know the in-joke, what's the deal with the moon?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The moon is a huge rear end in a top hat

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So, as someone who hasn't seen the wider Fate stuff who wants to know the in-joke, what's the deal with the moon?

Just absolute fractal weirdness. It's a vampire, it's an alien supercomputer, it's a Holy Grail, a big rock orbiting the Earth. Ask no further - that way, madness lies.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
In the timeline of Fate/Extra, the moon is a supercomputer that's been recording all of human history and is the setting for all of the Extra games.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the moon is good if arcuied is any indication

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

In Tsukihime (and hinted at in the main Fate verse), the Ultimate One of the Moon aka the Type Moon aka Brunestud of the Crimson Moon is the origin of vampires and a huge rear end in a top hat that played a long con on Gaia to eventually take over the Earth, until his demise at the hands of Zelrecht (wielder of the Second Magic), who apparently picked a fight with Brunestud because he just didn't like the dude. He's pretty dead, but there's the possibility of him reincarnating if the right conditions are met.

In the Extra verse, the moon is an alien supercomputer called the Moon Cell which has been recording events on Earth since the dawn of time, and eventually gets discovered and utilized by near future humanity. The Fate/Extra storyline and adjacents take place inside the Moon Cell (sort of like a virtual reality, but since it's so powerful it's truly created Reality Marbles within itself), which has set up a sort of Grail War in order to choose a human to be granted admin rights.

As an aside, I believe Aoko's clash with the Flat Snark in Mahoyo is a callback to how Nasu said Zelrecth defeated Brunestud (Unlimited Ether Cannon vs Moon Fall).

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, that sounds high-concept.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also at some point Arcuied steals the Moon from the future, leading to an apocalypse... or something. Been a while since I played Melty.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not the apocalypse, She basically temporarily pulls the endpoint of Zepia's contract with her sister Altorouge, causing him to cease being the TATARI and merely be an obscenely powerful vampire, so that Sion and Shiki can kill him for good and not just disrupt his appearance this one time.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the moon is a shitpost and has two completely mutually exclusive yet extremely involved precepts for its existence, and to this day i'm really not sure which one is actually relevant to the rest of the setting, because it rarely comes up but when it does it sounds like both options are true

one might think that the most important one is the moon supercomputer one that has like 4 recent console video games which star most of type-moon's most popular breakout characters, but IIRC every entry in that series seems to dismiss most of what happened in the previous entry, and

yeah you can begin to see why archer weaponizes the idea of making the conversation about it, down this road lies 30 pages of everyone clearing up misconceptions every month

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is why I want Fate to do some take on Princess Kaguya because you just know there would be some high level glorious nonsense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We'll only see the chaldea servant's theatrical rendition of it. Gilgamesh will be directing

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

This is why I want Fate to do some take on Princess Kaguya because you just know there would be some high level glorious nonsense.

Stairmaster posted:

We'll only see the chaldea servant's theatrical rendition of it. Gilgamesh will be directing
The best dumb Princess Kaguya take already exists and Nasu would be a fool to attempt anything of that caliber.

A fool I tell you!

(Actually, I don't think I would mind seeing Nasu write a Princess Kaguya story; especially with how the 'verse plays fast and loose with the rules)

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Will we find out that BB is short for Bamboo Baby?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
https://twitter.com/Neku_Mad_Lad/status/1228991111403732992

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah like, when people talk about Nasu making their head hurt, the moon is a really really good example of why

While the core of any given story makes sense and is perfectly sane, there's a lot of things in the periphery of the Nasuverse that are just absolute bugfuck crazy nonsense

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im the fanfic writer who thinks he loves to do nothing but pranks and goofs

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah like, when people talk about Nasu making their head hurt, the moon is a really really good example of why

While the core of any given story makes sense and is perfectly sane, there's a lot of things in the periphery of the Nasuverse that are just absolute bugfuck crazy nonsense

My favorite example of this is "Conceptual Weapons," a special class of weapon with an unclear definition which, as far as I know, has only come up because Ciel was confused about Tohno Shiki's knife.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

nrook posted:

My favorite example of this is "Conceptual Weapons," a special class of weapon with an unclear definition which, as far as I know, has only come up because Ciel was confused about Tohno Shiki's knife.

Conceptual weapons come up all the time, yo. Like half the NPs are one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
unrelated note, but is Oath Under Snow worth checking out if Prisma Illya otherwise makes me instinctively recoil?

like I hate basically everything about that series for very obvious reasons, but it sounds like Oath Under Snow is 99% about alternate Shirou, doesn't have any weird pedo bait in it at all, and is more or less a perfectly cromulent Fate thing. and the Shirou vs Zombie Shinji fight loving whips rear end.

e: also what the gently caress, does someone seriously think the Sakura episode of Carnival Phantasm isn't the best one

it's a rough chuckle when you know HF, but the very same thing that makes it a rough chuckle makes it satisfying as hell since after the initial "here's a quick recap if you haven't read HF" part it's just wall-to-wall Rider dunking Shinji

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 18, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

unrelated note, but is Oath Under Snow worth checking out if Prisma Illya otherwise makes me instinctively recoil?

like I hate basically everything about that series for very obvious reasons, but it sounds like Oath Under Snow is 99% about alternate Shirou, doesn't have any weird pedo bait in it at all, and is more or less a perfectly cromulent Fate thing. and the Shirou vs Zombie Shinji fight loving whips rear end.

e: also what the gently caress, does someone seriously think the Sakura episode of Carnival Phantasm isn't the best one

it's a rough chuckle when you know HF, but the very same thing that makes it a rough chuckle makes it satisfying as hell since after the initial "here's a quick recap if you haven't read HF" part it's just wall-to-wall Rider dunking Shinji

Sorry. But Seihai Grand Prix (in Fuyuki) is the best CF episode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that one owns too, "best CP episode" is kind of a hard question actually

but the Sakura one is great and I will brook no dissent against it, Shinji getting owned by Rider is fantastic

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

AlternateNu posted:

Sorry. But Seihai Grand Prix (in Fuyuki) is the best CF episode.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nrook posted:

Isn't 7th Holy Scripture a Conceptual Weapon?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"best CP episode" is kind of a hard question actually

Not if you're the FBI.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...it just clicked for me why that dude abbreviated Carnival Phantasm as CF :stonk: yeah that's unfortunate

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The best episode is Hercules The legendary journeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Paracelsus posted:

Isn't 7th Holy Scripture a Conceptual Weapon?

Yes, IIRC its core is basically a unicorn horn inscribed with an elaborate treatise written by The Holy Church that can be summed up as "Reincarnation is Bullshit and here is Why". Its an absolute rejection of the concept of Reincarnation/Immortality.