Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I know nothing about NASCAR or crash procedure. Is that standard for bad crashes or is it real, real bad?

It's been a long time since we've had one that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I know nothing about NASCAR or crash procedure. Is that standard for bad crashes or is it real, real bad?

Bad, like tarp over a highway crash bad. Hopefully it was just precautionary and he’s ok.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
https://mobile.twitter.com/NewmanKrissie/status/1229561840834940929

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It’s real real bad.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oh my God that poor woman right now....

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Hopkins FBI posted:

Yeah, but what if they were a Trump supporter?

I think we can agree that it's never appropriate to wish that on ANYONE.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I knew it must have been pretty rough when they didn't show the replay right away. I'm only hoping they showed it because maybe they think/have some sort of knowledge that he's going to be OK but so far it seems pretty bad. That hit when he was upside down loving crushed the driver's side.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I am getting some serious flashbacks to 2001. You kind of assume the cars are so safe now that a repeat of 2001 isn’t possible but something about everyone’s mood at the end of that broadcast has me assuming the worst.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hearing his car is on the flat bed but it is not covered, which if it was covered would be a very bad thing

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/CoreyLaJoie/status/1229576392209260545

it doesn't sound like anyone knows anything
which makes you wonder what the gently caress Denny was thinking. you have spotters, man, JGR knows how loving ugly that was, how do you celebrate at all

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
gently caress Fox and its awful coverage for having college basketball on and tape-delayed dirtbike racing

hopefully we learn some good news in the next half-hour before NBCSN comes on

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Mod edit: let's not do that with people in government

BBCT edit: my apologies

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 18, 2020

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Everything Trump dies

It gets repeated often, but yeah.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Fox took the broadcast video of the crash off twitter

edit: just kidding? they removed one but tweeted the same video 5 minutes ago

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
What is it with the last lap in this race?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/NicoleNews13/status/1229578249895907328?s=19

This was the same hospital they took Dale Earnhardt to.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 18, 2020

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

AsInHowe posted:

Everything Trump dies

It gets repeated often, but yeah.

And he was just talking about how NASCAR has done "tremendous things with safety" yesterday...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it hasn't happened in 19 years so honestly there's not a lot of comparison points. definitely happened with wheldon in indycar back in 2011

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hopkins FBI posted:

And he was just talking about how NASCAR has done "tremendous things with safety" yesterday...

Which is basically a death sentence, because hes never loving right.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

kidcoelacanth posted:

it hasn't happened in 19 years so honestly there's not a lot of comparison points. definitely happened with wheldon in indycar back in 2011

Did they do black screen for Earnhardt?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i do not remember

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It’s because it’s literally 5 minutes away from the track and the closest hospital with a trauma center

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
There's a gif of Newman waving the green flag smiling on Twitter now that's pretty sad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/roushyates/status/1229575824980008963?s=19

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

The thing I remember about Dale was how loving slow everything moved. The fact that Ryan was rushed in means there's hope.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

It was a different media environment obviously, and it happened in a different part of the track where there were no stands.

But someone correct me if I’m wrong, didnt they just take Dale Earnhardt to the hospital as a formality? Like he died on impact and it was VERY obvious to the first responders, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

It was a different media environment obviously, and it happened in a different part of the track where there were no stands.

But someone correct me if I’m wrong, didnt they just take Dale Earnhardt to the hospital as a formality? Like he died on impact and it was VERY obvious to the first responders, right?

I think that was the case. First responders normally are not allowed to declare someone deceased, but they can use "Injuries not compatible with life", which I'm pretty sure they used for Dale.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mahoning posted:

More or less yeah

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iirc kenny schrader knew pretty much right away that dale was dead af

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mahoning posted:

One of my buddies is a firefighter in daytona, he worked with people who were on the scene and said he was gone when the safety crew got to the car.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
that was anthoine hubert level of hell, hopefully the guy is ok

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Mahoning posted:

They responded to the crash and immediately started removing/cutting the roof off. I think there is video of them starting to remove the roof while Schrader is still wandering around his car. Basically yanked Dale out of the car onto a stretcher into the ambulance. They didn’t pronounce him until Halifax IIRC, but I think he was DOA.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

big nipples big life posted:

One of my buddies is a firefighter in daytona, he worked with people who were on the scene and said he was gone when the safety crew got to the car.

I don't think you can officially pronounce someone dead without a medical professional present, right? Or can cops and firefighters also do it?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/BigBadBumgarner/status/1229578940932554754

Close up of Newman’s crash. Here’s hoping I’ve linked instead of embedding.

Edit: balls.
E2: broke the link, you can c/p
E3: unbroke it: better quality than the one on page 12.

glyph fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 18, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I don't think you can officially pronounce someone dead without a medical professional present, right? Or can cops and firefighters also do it?

Requires a medical examiner or doctor according to my medical examiner neighbor.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

called my dad and he said we haven't seen the black screens since JD McDuffie
the fact that the car was uncovered, well, at least it means not a lot of blood
gently caress, man

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't know if they can't or just didn't.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nascar america will be on nbcsn in 10 minutes since fox cba to do any post race.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Jesus gently caress..... The week this family has had:

https://twitter.com/NewmanKrissie/status/1227990894281973762?s=09

https://twitter.com/NewmanKrissie/status/1229568677432975360?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Douchebag posted:

Requires a medical examiner or doctor according to my medical examiner neighbor.
It may depend on local/state protocols, but it can also involve EMS calling into the ER and explaining that the body is here and the head is over there and a doctor technically calling it.

The whole "injuries incompatible with life" thing.