Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Checking out Twitter, this pic really got me. Hope he’s ok.

https://twitter.com/kortnib90/status/1229584908005195776?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
yeah that roll cage was wrecked

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

This was tweeted seconds after the crash happened. This was the first thing she did.

e: I’ll give benefit of the doubt that she was alone and had no one else to interact with.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

PyPy posted:

This was tweeted seconds after the crash happened. This was the first thing she did.

e: I’ll give benefit of the doubt that she was alone and had no one else to interact with.

:stare:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

She's probably just watching the race with the phone in her hand.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/roushyates/status/1229584535953854465?s=19

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
NBCSN says NASCAR America [new][live] and they're showing... hockey celebrations

my dad says his cable says American Ninja Warrior though

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I hope Newman still gets to jointly raise his daughters.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yeah I'm not going to judge a woman who maybe just saw her husband die on live tv, let's not do that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NBCSN is a bit off because they last minute flexed the Caps at Knights game

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

so, gently caress

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

iospace posted:

I think that was the case. First responders normally are not allowed to declare someone deceased, but they can use "Injuries not compatible with life", which I'm pretty sure they used for Dale.

I've heard that they'll never declare somebody dead while still inside track property for insurance purposes.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanFieldABC/status/1229586759782215681

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

holy poo poo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/danielmcfadin/status/1229582490186256384?s=20

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The most “what the gently caress” tweet award goes to:

https://twitter.com/legonascar/status/1229588058917548032?s=21

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Mahoning posted:

:capitalism:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

jesus christ

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the loving car is split in half, gently caress

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Say what you will about NASCAR, but it's the only sport that goes off the air leaving you to wonder if one of the participants is dead or not.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
NASCAR America was officially pre-empted last night when they knew the race was gonna go on into tonight, don't read so much into it

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Id guess the guy running that is an actual nascar fan and not capitalism america

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

iirc kenny schrader knew pretty much right away that dale was dead af

That's still one of the saddest parts of that accident. He was just heart broken when he ran up on that car.

It's really a different era in track safety. Even the Wheldon accident, it was responders first on scene.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

I'm not a regular NASCAR fan (watched it some when I was a kid and I'll watch the occasional gif on Twitter), so I'm asking this sincerely: what are the signs here that this crash is worse than average? I feel like every NASCAR crash gif I've ever seen looks absolutely horrific to the same degree as this. Is it being airborne, or part of the trunk being ripped off signalling the intensity of the initial impact?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just watched the replay, reaction from the guys on the scene was not good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Honestly, I didnt see the second hit before I posted. I thought he just rolled.

That is loving horrific.

“When I wished death on the driver I didn’t know he might have actually died” is certainly a spicy hot take of a position

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gibbs apologized for celebrating. I think people understand you guys didn't know it was bad right away, dudes lol

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

surf rock posted:

I'm not a regular NASCAR fan (watched it some when I was a kid and I'll watch the occasional gif on Twitter), so I'm asking this sincerely: what are the signs here that this crash is worse than average? I feel like every NASCAR crash gif I've ever seen looks absolutely horrific to the same degree as this. Is it being airborne, or part of the trunk being ripped off signalling the intensity of the initial impact?

To me, it’s the way the driver’s side window is collapsed. No matter the intensity of a wreck I’ve seen, that normally stays structurally intact. It’s not meant to be hit on the top part, precisely where it was in this case.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

surf rock posted:

the photo in particular isn't showing anything, really, it's the fact that he got hit directly in the driver's side door while upside down on second impact.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

surf rock posted:

The car got hit sqare on the window net while upside down by a car going 200 mph

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

surf rock posted:

the roll cage in the drivers side is bent to hell and back

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

There's a two and half minute vid up now from the fence by Newman's car as they are trying to get to him and then the black screens come out. They did not seem frantic which seems worrying to me.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

yeah, it looks like roll cage is decimated on that side

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Banzai 3 posted:

To me, it’s the way the driver’s side window is collapsed. No matter the intensity of a wreck I’ve seen, that normally stays structurally intact. It’s not meant to be hit on the top part, precisely where it was in this case.

Zeta Acosta posted:

the roll cage in the drivers side is bent to hell and back

Ah! That makes total sense. Thank you!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

that photo is blowing my loving mind guys

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

yeah, it looks like roll cage is decimated on that side

Than proceeds to grind along the raceway on that exact spot.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/nbcsportspr/status/1229590214567395329?s=21

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

kidcoelacanth posted:

that photo is blowing my loving mind guys

It's beautiful in a haunting, awful way.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

surf rock posted:

Nah all that body work is basically tissue paper it's that you can see where the absurdly strong welded tube rollcage that is the actual frame the rest of the car is bolted to has failed in several points, particularly the way all the structure in the drivers door region is collapsed 10-12 inches behind the plane of the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's beautiful in a haunting, awful way.

yeah