Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If he had a neck he wouldn't have made it.

Hopefully he can drive again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

if an F3 driver could survive that crash at Macau a couple of years ago, man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUdY8clZsw

loving WHAT. How have I never heard of this?!

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Holy gently caress how is he alive? Glad that he's still living. That was one of the most vicious hits I've seen since Wheldon or Bodine.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Kirios posted:

I haven't seen that either. WTF

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

holy loving hell that F3 crash, Jesus Christ

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pinecone Sample posted:

"NASCAR is getting very close to putting Steve O'Donnell in place" - SiriusXM

also
https://twitter.com/jaybusbee/status/1229602595951521794

i thought this was going to be at best a steve park or jerry nadeau situation, how the gently caress

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

That's Sophia Floersch, she broke her back but was only out for a couple months iirc.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i thought this was going to be at best a steve park or jerry nadeau situation, how the gently caress

god, poor Steve Park. That Darlington wreck has to be one of the freakest of freak accidents ever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hunnert car pileup posted:

god, poor Steve Park. That Darlington wreck has to be one of the freakest of freak accidents ever.

being a new yorker i was an obligatory huge steve park fan :smith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I hate Ryan Newman as a human being but happy hes not tits up yet.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Holy gently caress that's loving amazing. Jesus.... he's either the luckiest or toughest man I've ever seen.

Have you seen his neck? He probably broke the hans

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Kirios posted:

I thought I was desensitized to this kind of poo poo but I just watched that clip and literally screamed JESUS CHRIST at that loving impact

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Have you seen his neck? He probably broke the hans

His is just a HAS device

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

surf rock posted:

I thought I was desensitized to this kind of poo poo but I just watched that clip and literally screamed JESUS CHRIST at that loving impact

Same, holy gently caress

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm loving shocked, but kudos to that car. God drat

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
So glad I did not watch someone die live on tv this evening.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Holy gently caress that's loving amazing. Jesus.... he's either the luckiest or toughest man I've ever seen.
In terms of surviving Daytona wrecks, I'd say second to Geoff Bodine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmT3gQQdJm4&t=1s

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Now that I know he’s not gonna die I feel ok saying that Ryan Newman deserves it for driving a loving KOCH INDUSTRIES car.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I saw that clip and was shocked. And now I'm just utterly bewildered at how he managed to get out of that with non-life threatening injuries. That's like the best case scenario for a crash like that.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Apraxin posted:

In terms of surviving Daytona wrecks, I'd say second to Geoff Bodine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmT3gQQdJm4&t=1s

Been watching racing most of my life, and this is one of like only 3 wrecks I've seen live where I immediately thought I just watched someone die. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cygni posted:

I hate Ryan Newman as a human being but happy hes not tits up yet.

Same. I don't want to see another fatality in NASCAR again, I'm glad we still haven't seen one since Dale.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Crashes that go up into the catch fence are so scary looking. I can't even imagine seeing that close up in the stands.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Car of Tomorrow was ugly as Sin, but full marks to it leading to the Gen-6 car which saved Ryan Newman tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mahoning posted:

Now that I know he’s not gonna die I feel ok saying that Ryan Newman deserves it for driving a loving KOCH INDUSTRIES car.

I don't think he had any choice in the sponsor, to be fair.

Besides, it's always in style to poo poo on Jack Roush.

Wiltsghost posted:

Crashes that go up into the catch fence are so scary looking. I can't even imagine seeing that close up in the stands.

I was at Daytona for Austin Dillon's wreck and missed it because I was trying to video the leaders. Kind of glad I did.

You knew things were bad when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. wins a race and the crowd is to stunned to cheer.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 18, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Besides, it's always in style to poo poo on Jack Roush.

reminder that jack roush's incessant bitching is what led to the common template and set nascar on the road to forcing manufacturers to make all the cars the exact fuckin same

gently caress jack roush

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

I got real squirrelly about going to races after that Indycar wheel went in the stands at Charlotte and killed 3 people. (Which was a year after it happened at Michigan and killed 3.)

I talked to an old guy at Dega in 99 who said he had been right there at the stretch of stands that Bobby Allison went airborne at. Said all he could see in time was Bobby Allison's muffler system coming at him at 200mph and the car just deflecting off.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm glad Newman has his win from 2008, but he has had a lot of bad wrecks at plate tracks too. His kids still have a Dad, that's the main thing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

in fairness we really don't know the full extent of this yet, so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kidcoelacanth posted:

in fairness we really don't know the full extent of this yet, so

nadeau and park both had extremely life-threatening injuries upon arrival to the hospital so newman is already better off than either of them

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm glad Newman has his win from 2008, but he has had a lot of bad wrecks at plate tracks too. His kids still have a Dad, that's the main thing.

I was so worried for his wife and daughters. They must be so relived right now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nadeau and park both had extremely life-threatening injuries upon arrival to the hospital so newman is already better off than either of them

more in the after-effects, i mean

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I was so worried for his wife and daughters. They must be so relived right now.

he and his wife just announced their separation so i imagine tonight was extremely weird for her

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

kidcoelacanth posted:

he and his wife just announced their separation so i imagine tonight was extremely weird for her

They said it was amicable. Hopefully that's true. Hopefully they're still on good terms.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They said it was amicable. Hopefully that's true. Hopefully they're still on good terms.

She was on Twitter reacting as you'd expect.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't doubt that that's the case, but even then the emotions involved must be incredibly complex

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I watched the crashes of Bodine, Newman, Wheldon, Park, Earnhardt, McDowell, Dillon, Larson all live but for some reason the one that always sticks with me is Steve Grissom at Atlanta because I remember them showing how his car just loving annihilated the concrete wall.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Never ask if things can get worse, kids.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I watched the crashes of Bodine, Newman, Wheldon, Park, Earnhardt, McDowell, Dillon, Larson all live but for some reason the one that always sticks with me is Steve Grissom at Atlanta because I remember them showing how his car just loving annihilated the concrete wall.

i watched that live with my dad and his 'holy poo poo!' stuck with me my whole life.

he changed the channel right after the wreck because he thought grissom was dead and did not want me watching.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2D-irpIIs

man i still can't believe how the back of the car just goes away, christ that man was lucky

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i watched that live with my dad and his 'holy poo poo!' stuck with me my whole life.

he changed the channel right after the wreck because he thought grissom was dead and did not want me watching.

I think I mostly just remember it because I was 10 or 11 and it was the first time I remember thinking I just watched someone die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I saw that Grissom wreck live when I was a kid also. Thankfully it was clear that he was alright pretty quickly.

That Park/Foyt wreck still gets me, though. My jaw dropped when they came back from commercial and had the white sheets around Park's car.