Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don’t know how this shook out, but I’ve never seen an advertisement for Birds of Prey. Never. I have no idea what it’s about, I had no idea when it came out, and I didn’t even know it was a Harley Quinn movie until they changed the title, presumably for that exact reason.

poparena posted:

I feel largely the same. I think it boils down to him covering such a narrow range of topics. Important topics, we all need to call out exploitative business practices in the video industry, absolutely, but there's only so much you can say.

I tend to go through cycles with him where I’ll watch him for a while, then step away for a year. That being said, I really appreciate having someone around who’s willing to get angry and stay angry about predatory practices in the gaming industry rather than getting mad for two weeks and then moving on to whatever is next. It’s so easy to let it become normalized. Whenever I come back around to him I’m always like, oh yeah, I forgot that (lootboxes/MTX in full-priced games/etc.) is bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ariong posted:

I don’t know how this shook out, but I’ve never seen an advertisement for Birds of Prey. Never. I have no idea what it’s about, I had no idea when it came out, and I didn’t even know it was a Harley Quinn movie until they changed the title, presumably for that exact reason.

the trailers just felt very hot topicy. like a goon said up thread, id have seen this movie in high school and probably liked it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the trailers just felt very hot topicy. like a goon said up thread, id have seen this movie in high school and probably liked it.

Low key: This is probably why it appeals to me. If I was born Cis/Transitioned in High school I would have been such an awesome goth girl.

Edit: Reminds me, I wanna find a new Daddy's Little Monster shirt. The original one I bought was I think movie accurate, which meant that it was see through in spots. Cute when your going to a party on a pier at New Your Pridde during your first year into transitioning, Not so cute three years later when your going out for dinner with the GF and friends.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 18, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Low key: This is probably why it appeals to me. If I was born Cis/Transitioned in High school I would have been such an awesome goth girl.

makes sense. its not a bad thing, i just noticed it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope you weren't watching Arch Warhammer. Dude sucks and represents the worst parts of the 40K fandom. Also his tag is similar to my gaming name of Arc Hammer so people always think I'm him.

what sucks is he does long stuff about various stories like vraks and stuff. but yeah the dudes a chud.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the first trailer played up the "Harley is getting over Joker" aspect of the movie (which isn't THAT present although it's a theme) and downplayed all the other characters being...y'know...cool. I really think the former was a big problem because it meant the stink of Suicide Squad was lingering all over that movie.

Second trailer was way better at actually making it look fun but I think the well was poisoned by then. I watched it on a whim and thought it was pretty fun, but I was gonna skip on it if I didn't see people saying it was decent.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Birds of Prey is basically a spiritual successor to Punisher: War Zone, and that movie made like 5 cents at the box office, so I'm honestly just happy people are seeing it at all.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The only emotion Arch Warhammer has ever evoked other than eye-rolling contempt was when I went in for a group interview thing with the Games Workshop social media team. Some brain genius brought him up as an example of "online creators to collaborate and learn from" and was treated with nearly a full minute of intense, scornful laughter from the whole media team.

Still makes me smile.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bruce Timm without Paul Dini gets you bad movies like the Killing Joke adaptation where Barbara fucks Bruce or the Harley Quinn movie where Bernadette from Big Bang Theory does an awful accent and then ties Nightwing down to a bed to have unconsensual sex. Timm is a horny bigger who needs Dini to reign him in, but since Timm was given full control of his DC animated films he's indulged in more adult oriented content.

Honestly this comes as a dull surprise having re-watched Justice League/Unlimited recently. That show is intensely horny, not only in the designs but in the dialogue and them smashing in as many flirty jokes and camera shots as they can get away with. And one of the duo absolutely has a thing for girls getting bound up/mummified from how many times it happens to Wonder Woman/Hawk Girl over 5 seasons.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, that's on brand for Wonder Woman.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, that's on brand for Wonder Woman.

Seriously, go read the original 1940s Wonder Woman run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SteelMentor posted:

Honestly this comes as a dull surprise having re-watched Justice League/Unlimited recently. That show is intensely horny, not only in the designs but in the dialogue and them smashing in as many flirty jokes and camera shots as they can get away with.
I think it started to ramp up in the Superman animated series, with scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYtdl9BrKUc

or every interaction between Bruce Wayne and Lois Lane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0gt60rNHI

Just look at how Bruce Wayne's character design goes from boxy mid-20th century suits to the above for another example.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I feel like someone should say: while Dini is a great writer of individual stories, the big leap from the up and down BTAS era to Cadmus being Cadmus is more Dwayne McDuffie than either of Timm or Dini.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Phillby posted:

Tbh I think Jim just likes being an evil wrestleman as much if not more than being an evil game reviewer theres not much more to it than that

Jim has a great affection for the carny, and both video games and the prograps qualify.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McDuffie was an absolute force. RIP.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CmdrKing posted:

I feel like someone should say: while Dini is a great writer of individual stories, the big leap from the up and down BTAS era to Cadmus being Cadmus is more Dwayne McDuffie than either of Timm or Dini.

It's kind of a shame that McDuffie didn't really start getting the credit he deserved for how good his writing on those series were until after his death - or at least I didn't start hearing his name in relation to them as prominently until after he passed. Even Static Shock was a pretty solid show and I remember loving it when it was airing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Static Shock has an episode where he teams up with old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond. I’ve never seen it, but it sounds awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I saw Birds of Prey yesterday and while it's a lot of fun, I actually feel the Harley Quinn cartoon has better captured the energy and insane world her character needs to shine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I saw Birds of Prey yesterday and while it's a lot of fun, I actually feel the Harley Quinn cartoon has better captured the energy and insane world her character needs to shine.

same. the harley quinn show is very much a B ranked Venture bros type deal but it works well enough.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Static Shock has an episode where he teams up with old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond. I’ve never seen it, but it sounds awesome.

Can confirm it was pretty cool. Static teamed up with Terry to rescue adult Static.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghostlight posted:

McDuffie was an absolute force. RIP.

It bugs the poo poo out of me when people give all of the credit for the DCAU to Dini and Timm.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It bugs the poo poo out of me when people give all of the credit for the DCAU to Dini and Timm.

Especially Timm who as other’s have mentioned writes really gross material.

I remember watching the Killing Joke in the cinema when it went on that limited run and I have never before or since heard a crowd boo a scene like they did the Batgirl sex scene.

I also find it really gross that he decided to make the Joker sexually active instead of being asexual. I really did not need to know that the Joker tracks down prostitutes first thing he does every time he escapes prison Timm and I certainly didn’t need the image

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Asuron posted:

I really did not need to know that the Joker tracks down prostitutes first thing he does every time he escapes prison Timm and I certainly didn’t need the image

I'm sorry WHAT

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The way Nightwing finds Quinn in the Harley Quinn movie is the dumbest poo poo, too. He goes around with a photo like he's the T-1000 asking "have you seen this boy" and then happens to find her moonlighting as a waitress cosplaying herself at a Hooters Bar where the waitresses dress in skimpier versions of super heroine costumes. It's purely for Timm to draw tits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Seems to be a thing between DC and Marvel.

Asuron posted:

I also find it really gross that he decided to make the Joker sexually active instead of being asexual. I really did not need to know that the Joker tracks down prostitutes first thing he does every time he escapes prison Timm and I certainly didn’t need the image

Well now that I am also cursed with knowledge, I also much preferred when I thought the Joker only had eyes for Harley and everyone else just wasn't his type. It feels like something that never would've gotten much focus beforehand because the main draw would be stopping a hot air balloon from popping and spreading Joker gas all over the city or something but it kinda shoulda stayed that way too.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RareAcumen posted:

Well now that I am also cursed with knowledge, I also much preferred when I thought the Joker only had eyes for Harley and everyone else just wasn't his type. It feels like something that never would've gotten much focus beforehand because the main draw would be stopping a hot air balloon from popping and spreading Joker gas all over the city or something but it kinda shoulda stayed that way too.

The Joker/Harley thing worked well in a kids’ show because you didn’t have to explore it in any more depth than simple stuff like “Joker only had eyes for Harley”. It got significantly worse the moment they started translating it into material not specifically for kids, and even the best attempts at redeeming it have been pretty terrible. Birds of Prey made a great call by completely eliminating Joker from the equation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mad Love is still an excellent story but it's really the turning point for Harley's character. The rehabilitation of Harley Quinn following the events of Mad Love is something I do approve of, but it's hampered by comic book artists being horny buggers and loads of writers failing to do anything with Harley that isn't "sexy clown waifu." It's actually shocking how much I've enjoyed the Harley Quinn show because its so irreverent but it has managed to hit on how difficult her life has been in a way that few stories have ever really delved into.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 18, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
tbh i kind of hate that the whole abuse/manipulation angle has become such a set-in-stone part of the joker and harley relationship, because the idea of them being a cute and loving couple despite otherwise being batshit crazy evil clowns is for some reason incredibly amusing to me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It depends on what kind of Joker you enjoy. Funny Joker in a lighthearted Batman adventure can have a loving Harley, but an rear end in a top hat Joker or a darker take on the character kind of has to go in the direction of a dysfunctional relationship.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Alacron posted:

I'm sorry WHAT

No joke, when he starts tracking down the Joker he visits prostitutes who joke about how usually he visits them the moment he escapes prison.

RareAcumen posted:

Seems to be a thing between DC and Marvel.

I always looked at it as an entirely one sided obsession, he has no affection for her and uses her as a tool because of her fanaticaI loyalty. It played well into Harley potentially being redeemed if she could realise that and is what happened in Batman Beyond. Also helped she never really killed anyone in that original BTAS run as far as I remember, so it left hope

Of course DC went hard in on making her a psycho and sexualised the crap outta her, so now we’re left a shell of what she used to be.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 18, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other issue with the Batman Harley Quinn movie is that Harlequinade already exists and it did the "Harley works with Batman to stop the villain" story but way better. Sure she ends up back with the Joker at the end of that story but it works so much better than Timm's wankfest.

Like, stories about Quinn getting away from Joker's bad influence have been around as long as the character has existed. Mad Love was written in 1993 and adapted into an episode of New Batman Adventures a few years later, but there were at least three episodes of the original run of Batman TAS that explicitly dealt with Harley trying to live her own life away from the rear end in a top hat.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 18, 2020

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
BOP has the handicap of following up an absolute dogshit film everyone saw, but will probably do fine in the long run because it cost 1/3 of the amount of the absolute dogshit film everyone saw.

Also, the John Wick films have done wonders for the look of mid-budget action flicks

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked static shock a lot, he had a different approach to batman. instead of beating up lowly criminals on the streets he goes out of his way to investigate why they're doing what they're doing and reach out to them, cause a lot are scared and confused because of horrible events beyond their control while a handful of truly vile people indoctrinate and profit off them. it was a breath of fresh air after years of cartoons, intentionally or not, spreading urban panic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

am i the only one who thought the harley quinn cartoon was like basically on the same level as family guy or something like that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asuron posted:

I always looked at it as an entirely one sided obsession, he has no affection for her and uses her as a tool because of her fanaticaI loyalty. It played well into Harley potentially being redeemed if she could realise that and is what happened in Batman Beyond. Also helped she never really killed anyone in that original BTAS run as far as I remember, so it left hope

Of course DC went hard in on making her a psycho and sexualised the crap outta her, so now we’re left a shell of what she used to be.

Yeah, your opinion of it is more in line, I've got it backwards. Harley has no interest in anyone but Joker but he sees them as a team. Like a mirror version of the dynamic duo; But evil!

watho posted:

am i the only one who thought the harley quinn cartoon was like basically on the same level as family guy or something like that?

Well that's a comparison with some heavy baggage.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

family guy is just my goto for unfunny obnoxious cartoons

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The show reminded me more of Venture Bros more than anything, just with offical DC characters.

I should get caught up on Venture Bros.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Saw the first episode and it just seemed kinda meh to me, and I love Venture Bros.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The first episode is literally the worst of the season. Try another episode or two.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i've been finding it pretty obnoxious with the edginess but also genuinely funny. i love bane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the joke about calendar man's son was really funny to me, thats the only clip of it ive seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CYBEReris posted:

i liked static shock a lot, he had a different approach to batman. instead of beating up lowly criminals on the streets he goes out of his way to investigate why they're doing what they're doing and reach out to them, cause a lot are scared and confused because of horrible events beyond their control while a handful of truly vile people indoctrinate and profit off them. it was a breath of fresh air after years of cartoons, intentionally or not, spreading urban panic.

This was exactly why it stood out to me so much. It could be hamfisted at times like a low-level antagonist becoming an occasional hero after learning how to read with help and encouragement from the main character, or that one episode about the main character's best friend's racist dad. But even if it could be silly, it was still dealing with fairly grounded subjects that even the other DCAU shows didn't usually touch on or would have settled lamely if they did - like using super powers as an allegory for minorities.