Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Every time the paywall would go back up I would hop on to Tumblr to read people freak the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Sam Faust posted:

I think it was c-spam. fyad offsite is just twitter.

basically this, also Fyad is my fav. BYOB-lite

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Gone Fashing posted:

thats pretty lovely to say, the offsite was created when byob didnt exist and it's still there because they still want to post with their friends, and have been posting there for years now

the more the merrier, they can come on down to the original byob house over at ?forumid=268
i didn't look around it, just figured that's the main reason offsites get started

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shoehead posted:

Every time the paywall would go back up I would hop on to Tumblr to read people freak the gently caress out.

Things were so much simpler back then.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Things were so much simpler back then.
It's weird that even then it felt like Something Awful was an ancient site past its prime.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm liking the per-forum customization. The new C-SPAM probation avatar is pretty good.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Seems like a fitting enough point in the conversation to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Mad Hamish posted:

I've wondered who that is in my av for years and now the mystery is solved!

There can't be many more of us still around who have this hideous thing.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
What happened to slow beef? Also how many folks left due to LP forum drama?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I don't think Slowbeef left due to any actual drama. I think he just got burnt out on modding and left.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

I don't think Slowbeef left due to any actual drama. I think he just got burnt out on modding and left.

That's cool, good to hear not everyone gets pissed off and leaves.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crowetron posted:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

That's cool, good to hear not everyone gets pissed off and leaves.

Yeah, he's left way before that. There wasn't any falling out, really. I think he was just in the middle of changing jobs, moving, and getting married. He still streams on Twitch from time to time.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 18, 2020

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I think the ease of streaming to live audiences had way more impact than any forum drama in causing people to leave.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EasilyConfused posted:

I think the ease of streaming to live audiences had way more impact than any forum drama in causing people to leave.

Yeah, YouTube going from the most hostile video platform to LPers to... not basically overnight completely changed the game.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, YouTube going from the most hostile video platform to LPers to... not basically overnight completely changed the game.

Yeah, between changes to youtube and the emergence of twitch, it suddenly became possible to turn "playing vidjagames for internet strangers" from a bizarre hobby into a lucrative career. Forums are only really good for screenshot LPs, which arent really possible to monetize.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

maybe this is an old man position to have but streaming on twitch is not as good as a lets play. I dont need to look at any number of interchangable dumbfuck white dudes making dreamworks faces with cyborg headphones taking up 1/3 of the game screen, LPs always had really in depth stuff showing off all the secrets and trivia and stuff in a given game, it's like how national geographic was really informative and now is basically printed clickbait since Murdoch bought it.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Nah the old man opinion is not enjoying watching other people play videogames.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

purple death ray posted:

maybe this is an old man position to have but streaming on twitch is not as good as a lets play. I dont need to look at any number of interchangable dumbfuck white dudes making dreamworks faces with cyborg headphones taking up 1/3 of the game screen, LPs always had really in depth stuff showing off all the secrets and trivia and stuff in a given game, it's like how national geographic was really informative and now is basically printed clickbait since Murdoch bought it.

tbh theres a big difference between the effort people do on LPs here and streams. Streams have not just what you say but also the annoying voice overs and displays and sub poo poo. All of which removes you from what your watching and changes the focus back to I NEED MORE SUBS AND DONATE ME MONEY!!!!, which most people that follow the SA lps don't really care about. That more casual and focused feel does a lot more for this audience and some of the best LPs you see on youtube come from the effort and love people put in here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The specific sort of dipshit streamer popular with young teenagers that every Internet Old looks to when they want to complain about streaming, is not the only kind of streamer, hth

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

purple death ray posted:

I'll be an old man with you, I don't get the appeal of just watching some idiot stream themselves playing a game. The best LPs are the ones where someone wants to show off an obscure game they like, or get really in depth with a well known game, or do a weird gimmick run; plus a well edited series of videos is usually more interesting and entertaining than a stream. Streams are fun sometimes for blind runs of puzzle games and stuff, like a collaborative play through, but watching generic white dude #352 play through some random AAA title straight while people yell at him in chat is just dull.

There are some people I'll watch stream if the timezones line up, like supergreatfriend, but in general it's not for me. I want supplementary materials and thread discussion godammit.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 19, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Youtube probably wasn't the most hostile platform, they were just the most inconvenient platform

the major issues were that you couldn't upload videos more than 10 or 15 minutes long for the longest time, so you had to segment videos so a 3 hour chunk was like 20 videos each that had poo poo compression because Youtube also wouldn't allow HD video and locked you at lower resolutions

stuf like Blip or Vimeo were better for length/resolution reasons, but they hated LPs and would hunt and ban LP channels if they found them because they wanted more live-action stuff they could try to monetize

small ghost posted:

I'll be an old man with you, I don't get the appeal of just watching some idiot stream themselves playing a game. The best LPs are the ones where someone wants to show off an obscure game they like, or get really in depth with a well known game, or do a weird gimmick run; plus a well edited series of videos is usually more interesting and entertaining than a stream. Streams are fun sometimes for blind runs of puzzle games and stuff, like a collaborative play through, but watching generic white dude #352 play through some random AAA title straight while people yell at him in chat is just dull.

I kind of only like to watch Mario Maker/Mario romhack streamers these days, since half the enjoyment is figuring out how to get around a hard level

Also because since that's all custom user content and it would be nearly impossible to curate into an LP short of a rom hack specific one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 19, 2020

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't know anything about Lets Plays and streaming, but more than any one other single thing in this world I hate those dinosaur documentaries where some C-list celebrity is presented as hunting the dinosaur in order to make it more exciting. Its just not necessary, because dinosaurs are bad rear end in and of themselves. Sorry if this is off-topic, but there's no dinosaur subforum and I feel as if this is close enough to the current topic that I'm contributing and my favorite dinosaur is the stegosaurus.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just make a dinosaur chicken nugget thread in the new fast food forum

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My hot LP take is that I vastly prefer the stills-and-text ones to anything with video. Not necessarily because I hate hearing people talk on those videos, but just because I enjoy reading more.

I don't remember who did it, but the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 LP that was on here was probably the best one I've encountered, and not just because it went in-depth on a lot of the cut content and behind-the-scenes poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My hot LP take is that I vastly prefer the stills-and-text ones to anything with video. Not necessarily because I hate hearing people talk on those videos, but just because I enjoy reading more.

I don't remember who did it, but the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 LP that was on here was probably the best one I've encountered, and not just because it went in-depth on a lot of the cut content and behind-the-scenes poo poo.

I think that was the one the Scorchy did way back in the day.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't know anything about Lets Plays and streaming, but more than any one other single thing in this world I hate those dinosaur documentaries where some C-list celebrity is presented as hunting the dinosaur in order to make it more exciting. Its just not necessary, because dinosaurs are bad rear end in and of themselves. Sorry if this is off-topic, but there's no dinosaur subforum and I feel as if this is close enough to the current topic that I'm contributing and my favorite dinosaur is the stegosaurus.

Tempted to make a qcs post asking for a dinosaur RSF cos I'd definitely post in it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You can get a nice sense of community engagement with a smaller channel, because you can actually hold some short conversations with the streamer and the other people about aspects of the game as they're playing it. 1000+ viewer streams are just.. I don't know what the appeal is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I would watch that better than the c list manfighter harassing south americans while "pretending" that Hitler was alive and making chemical weapons

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

New RSF????

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A new Rad 'Saurs Forum

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Already looking forward to the Brontosaurus MEGATHREAD where people make jokes about how a Brontosaurus has less RAM than a Playstation 4 despite being several times bigger in size

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm ready to have a discussion about Dinosaucers (syndicated, 1987) that doesn't almost immediately devolve into slap-fights and immaturity

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I just wanna post the stupidest dinosaur names like velociraptor (speedy grabber) and allosaurus (other lizard) and apatosaurus (deceptive lizard).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm ready to have a discussion about Dinosaucers (syndicated, 1987) that doesn't almost immediately devolve into slap-fights and immaturity

I'm the Abey gotta Love Me

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

small ghost posted:

I just wanna post the stupidest dinosaur names like velociraptor (speedy grabber) and allosaurus (other lizard) and apatosaurus (deceptive lizard).

Thanks for sharing these. I didn't recognize the name of the last one, so I GIS'd it, expecting it to be like a stealth/shadow/ghost/fairy type of trickster dinosaur, like the one from Jurassic Park that surprises Newman by suddenly turning big and scary when it had up until then looked small and cute, but it is like the opposite style of dinosaur; like a ground/earth/metal type, is the correct nomenclature, I believe.

Good luck getting the subforum and please send me a PM if it opens

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was just about to post that Scorchy's KOTOR 2 LP is the best LP I've ever seen...it teases apart a complex, unreliable narrative told partially through the eyes of a group of right bastard NPCs while being funny as hell, having to reconstruct a significant percentage of the game that was cut for launch, and he does it all with screenshots.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A link to the LP in question for anyone who wants it:

Scorchy’s KOTOR2 LP

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

I was just about to post that Scorchy's KOTOR 2 LP is the best LP I've ever seen...it teases apart a complex, unreliable narrative told partially through the eyes of a group of right bastard NPCs while being funny as hell, having to reconstruct a significant percentage of the game that was cut for launch, and he does it all with screenshots.

It was great. He goes into theorycrafting without :tinfoil:ing too much, details a TON of the cut content, and tbqh I came away from the LP with a much different understanding of a lot of the plot beats from when I actually played the game myself.

e: it might have some to do with how bonkers a lot of stuff about KOTOR2 was (some of the story implications were so big that when Disney dumped the old SW canon, they told virtually everybody associated with Extended Universe stuff "hey we're starting over", except Bioware. The Kylo Ren = Darth Revan theory persisted right up until the new trilogy came out, simply because for some reason both Disney and Bioware adamantly refused to say "yes, KOTOR also got thrown out with the rest of the EU stuff" (and because their masks looked so drat similar)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 19, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was great. He goes into theorycrafting without :tinfoil:ing too much, details a TON of the cut content, and tbqh I came away from the LP with a much different understanding of a lot of the plot beats from when I actually played the game myself.

e: it might have some to do with how bonkers a lot of stuff about KOTOR2 was (some of the story implications were so big that when Disney dumped the old SW canon, they told virtually everybody associated with Extended Universe stuff "hey we're starting over", except Bioware. The Kylo Ren = Darth Revan theory persisted right up until the new trilogy came out, simply because for some reason both Disney and Bioware adamantly refused to say "yes, KOTOR also got thrown out with the rest of the EU stuff" (and because their masks looked so drat similar)

Word from Obsidian was they basically wrote in the draft all that stuff, the morally grey Jedi, the philosophical stuff, etc. and sent it for approval expecting a bunch of notes and edit from Lucasfilm and got back a "sure whatever just do that." They were pretty sure no one at Lucasfilm who saw it cared or expected it to actually get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pentyne posted:

Word from Obsidian was they basically wrote in the draft all that stuff, the morally grey Jedi, the philosophical stuff, etc. and sent it for approval expecting a bunch of notes and edit from Lucasfilm and got back a "sure whatever just do that." They were pretty sure no one at Lucasfilm who saw it cared or expected it to actually get made.

That tracks pretty well with "oh crap we accidentally approved some Deep Philosophy Re: The Force, what do we do"

It's mostly notable because 99% of the old canon timeline before the movies was "a galaxy-spanning war between Jedi and Sith that took place [x] thousand years ago" repeated ad-nauseum; in KOTOR2 at least they try to examine "well why does this cycle keep happening?"

e: I mean poo poo, they tried to start as fresh as they could by doing a comic series >100 years after the movies and it still almost immediately fell back into Jedi vs. Sith tropes, IIRC (except the good guy was an edgy loner who would see visions of Luke berating him when he got high on Space Drugs)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 19, 2020