Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I keep getting scared about not hearing about The Dark Crystal getting renewed. At the same time, they spent SO much money building the puppets and sets that I can't see it getting at least one more season due to sunk cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I went to the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC the other week, and they have a ton of the props and puppets from the new Dark Crystal on display. I still haven't seen the new show but I was really blown away by everything I saw from it from it. The work that went into it really is incredible.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hakkesshu posted:

That He-Man cast is just as amazing as the Dark Crystal cast, and it just makes me think Netflix are putting their money behind another weird 80s fantasy property instead of making a second season of Dark Crystal.

It's almost like puppeteering is an incredibly skilled, expensive, and time-consuming artform that takes slightly more time to churn out than sending a bunch of sketches to Korea and waiting a month.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sleeveless posted:

It's almost like puppeteering is an incredibly skilled, expensive, and time-consuming artform that takes slightly more time to churn out than sending a bunch of sketches to Korea and waiting a month.

You don't fuckin' say.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chairman Capone posted:

I went to the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC the other week, and they have a ton of the props and puppets from the new Dark Crystal on display. I still haven't seen the new show but I was really blown away by everything I saw from it from it. The work that went into it really is incredible.

Watch it!!! Its really good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

You don't fuckin' say.

Yeah, no one is complaining about not having a Season 2 release date announcement yet, they are complaining that we haven't even heard if there's going to be a Season 2 when netflix usually announces such things about month after a show comes out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How does Remington Steele hold up? I realized recently that I'd had it conflated with the Sean Bean Sharpe series. I didn't realize it had such a fun premise.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

feedmyleg posted:

How does Remington Steele hold up? I realized recently that I'd had it conflated with the Sean Bean Sharpe series. I didn't realize it had such a fun premise.

I enjoyed it when I watched it, but that was mostly as background noise when focusing on the computer so I may have missed some "yikes" stuff. But it's a fun premise that gives the leads good chances to play off each other and I think it was pretty groundbreaking for the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got around to watching Peaky Blinders

It's p good

It gets less good as it goes, or more good, depending on your tolerance for extremely silly Gothic nonsense

I think it's great, but then again, the soundtrack alone makes me love it

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Do people actually like Avenue 5? I think it's terrible. Zach Woods is the only redeeming thing about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's incredibly good television, and I'm embarrassed to say I only just got what the title is referring to.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It makes me sad that there isn't a thread for The Bachelor. Aside from maybe an episode or two whenever it debuted 15+ years ago, I never watched it, but I got into it this season and I've been having a great time watching it.

Victoria F. is history's greatest monster and she had better not make it past this week :colbert:

edit: Doubling down to include this Good Tweet:

https://twitter.com/SHanson52/status/1229499560747261953

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I read one of those clickbait articles about the couples from The Bachelor and The Bachelorette and turns out like 95% of The Bachelor couples have broken up while the vast majority of The Bachelorette couples are still together. Men really stink at picking women, the stats don't lie

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I read one of those clickbait articles about the couples from The Bachelor and The Bachelorette and turns out like 95% of The Bachelor couples have broken up while the vast majority of The Bachelorette couples are still together. Men really stink at picking women, the stats don't lie

I think Peter already hosed it up this season by sending home his two best options (Kelley and Victoria P.). Madison's probably #3, but I see a zero-percent chance of things working out if he goes with any of the other three. ...Maybe a 1% chance for Hannah Ann.

edit: Madison's dad creeps me the gently caress out, just the way he looks. His head is too small.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 18, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My dad finished rewatching Season 1 of Fargo today. He started on Thursday.

He also watched seven episodes of Season 2 today alone. Dude loves him some Fargo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's a cool dad

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's incredibly good television, and I'm embarrassed to say I only just got what the title is referring to.

Enlighten me? I'm still missing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god, this week's McMillions is great and nuts

Anyone who doubted that it needed to be six parts, I think it's definitely warranted now

The combination church/strip club lmfao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
McMillions kinda stops being fun once you get to the single mom mortgaging her house to get upfront money because she’s been talked into the scheme by a “friend” just because the people behind it needed winners who weren’t italian friends of the family.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bull3964 posted:

I keep getting scared about not hearing about The Dark Crystal getting renewed. At the same time, they spent SO much money building the puppets and sets that I can't see it getting at least one more season due to sunk cost.

I've pretty much accepted it's not getting renewed. The Netflix that greenlit that show is not the Netflix of today, and Dark Crystal didn't do nearly as well as some much cheaper to produce poo poo like The Witcher.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

precision posted:

Oh my god, this week's McMillions is great and nuts

Anyone who doubted that it needed to be six parts, I think it's definitely warranted now

The combination church/strip club lmfao

I dropped it after the second episode, but with those you could easily have told the same story in half the time. It felt very deliberate that they were trying to fill out a bunch of hours with a slow pace and inconsequential side stories.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Avenue 5. It combines space with people being realistically bad at their jobs. I don't see it as a "ha ha" comedy, more like a drama that is so relatable it loops back around.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also my prediction is that the Ethan Phillips character is behind the shenanigans for cuckoo reasons, but it doesn't really matter because it's just the vehicle for how things are starting to Go Down.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This week’s episode of The New Pope was very good. Next week it looks like business is about to pick up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I also think Spike the astronaut is behind the mechanical malfunctions. He wants a chance to hog the spotlight.

Bruceski posted:

Enlighten me? I'm still missing it.

I could be completely wrong here, but I reckon it's a reference to Trump's "I could shoot a man on fifth Avenue and not be prosecuted" bit, isn't it? Judd is a Trump figure, complete with a system of people compensating for his nonsense, Karen is arguably a Hilary type, and the cast are stuck in a resource dwindling biome populated by people who don't want to look after themselves even though if they don't do something really loving soon they're all going to be absolutely dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

surf rock posted:

I think Peter already hosed it up this season by sending home his two best options (Kelley and Victoria P.). Madison's probably #3, but I see a zero-percent chance of things working out if he goes with any of the other three. ...Maybe a 1% chance for Hannah Ann.

edit: Madison's dad creeps me the gently caress out, just the way he looks. His head is too small.

Dude's been seen with one of the producers post wrap. My wife is pissed that season is basically a sham at this point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm pretty sure every season has been a sham.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gonz posted:

This week’s episode of The New Pope was very good. Next week it looks like business is about to pick up.

Hey that reminds me: Esp, you watchin' Pope Show because the intro is really good? :quagmire:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

It gets less good as it goes, or more good, depending on your tolerance for extremely silly Gothic nonsense

I think it's great, but then again, the soundtrack alone makes me love it

Yeah, Peaky Blinders is terrific all the way through. Like it's a silly, silly show, but it never forgets what it is. You can always sort of rely on it because every single episode is written by the same person and none of the performances ever skip a beat even a little. As far as pulpy action-crime drama shows go, it's definitely up there as one of the most entertaining IMO.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHAT THE WHAT

https://youtu.be/oRCC-C8MlLI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks cheap as hell. Like, sub-Electric Dreams cheap. And it doesn't really look tonally like the original to me. I really want more anthology sci-fi stuff, but so far everyone but Shudder has kinda dropped the ball.

Wasn't this the production that had the most "Apple is loving with this because they want everything to be inoffensively milquetoast" rumors surrounding it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BUT THE THEME SONG

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I clicked that link and the pre-video ad I saw was the trailer featured in the video, it's like a Russian nesting doll of trailers.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

Looks cheap as hell. Like, sub-Electric Dreams cheap. And it doesn't really look tonally like the original to me.

You need to go back and watch the original. It was super cheap and doesn't hold up well. The stories do but the production value does not. Also the superhero Grandpa is very on brand for the original series.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Which one of you was this?.
(Read the headline and then go to the 4th paragraph :allbuttons:)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pick posted:

I love Avenue 5. It combines space with people being realistically bad at their jobs. I don't see it as a "ha ha" comedy, more like a drama that is so relatable it loops back around.

I definitely see it as a comedy, but you're right, it's probably also a pretty realistic vision of how a space cruise would go if run by a real 21st century company, except with less slavery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of the funniest non-sitcoms on TV right now? I'm looking for something charming and fun after rewatching a few episodes of Galavant and Jack of All Trades.

Succession is hilarious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also y'all ready for the Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wasn't gonna watch the Sonic movie but if they setup a crossover with Altered Beast or Alex Kidd or something I might change my mind.

Which begs a question I've never had until this moment. How in the world hasn't someone tried to make a real bad Zelda movie?