Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the idea of a sith-based society that works and can do large-scale collaboration, instead of collapsing in on itself in a murder orgy (murdorgy) is preposterous imo

and before you say that the empire was that,: no it wasnt. it was sith-led and served sith interests, but it wasnt based on “sith values”, because sith values are hyper-selfish. the empire elevated those whose callous disregard for justice and charity &c supported sith goals, but the empire wasnt built around observing or glorifying sith principles

should have just said the ships were full of factory seconds from batches of snokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the whole reason there are only two Sith at any given time is because when there were more than that, the end result was

Squizzle posted:

collapsing in on itself in a murder orgy (murdorgy)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i dunno the us hasnt collapsed yet :rackem:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
They literally said in the film that they were going to need to ramp the gently caress out of their already existing conscription efforts in order to staff their new sith fleet.

This doesn't make JJ any less of a hack, but it also makes whatever that holocron nonsense is about as good as fan fiction.

(it's bad, OP)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

like thats the whole thing. jedi care about everything, so try to maintain the balance of all things. in so doing, the old jedi order lost sight of the individual parts of the whole and were kinda shits. they forbade all personal attachment which put them in the position of being against love. luke redeems and perfects the jedi philosophy by finding a way for his personal love for his friends, to push him to greater heights of caring for the whole, and redeems darth vader (who fell for love) thru that capacity for loving completely. one of the things that made qui gon interesting was that he seemed to be more willing to love people and engage them as individuals than the rest of the jedi at the time

the sith care about themselves and are just poo poo about it. the only principle they care about is fygm + wizard powers. anakin falls because he is promised the power to help his loved ones, w/o ethical boundaries. how do you crew a space ship fleet on those principles?????

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

its a fuckin basic rear end fable w a moral a toddler could understand but somehow the official twitterist does not

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think there's history of The Sith Empire being a thing, with one or two or more sith lords pulling the strings, and an Empire-like army of indoctrinate soldiers handling the military side of things. Otherwise the Republic could just throw a few warships at them and splat them from orbit, dark force powers or not.

Going back even further, apparently there was once a race called the Sith who were conquerors and invaders and may or may not have had force sensitivity, who the sith lords we're more familiar with took the name from.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
the Sith Empire exists in the Old Republic MMO, and after that emperor is "killed" the Sith are lead by basically a Sith Council that keeps themselves in check but they let all of their underlings murder each other for sport

the non Sith in the empire basically work to keep the sith from loving everything up and destroying the entire faction

the whole idea with the Exegol fleet is that its lead by Sith cultists/worshippers, which are common enough, they submit themselves to Palpatine fully and they see themselves lesser than him because they arent force wielding saber nerds

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
TROS is terrible but i don't have a problem with a society built on master-slave morality in a setting with space wizards and evil mind control magic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

the Sith Empire exists in the Old Republic MMO, and after that emperor is "killed" the Sith are lead by basically a Sith Council that keeps themselves in check but they let all of their underlings murder each other for sport

the non Sith in the empire basically work to keep the sith from loving everything up and destroying the entire faction

the whole idea with the Exegol fleet is that its lead by Sith cultists/worshippers, which are common enough, they submit themselves to Palpatine fully and they see themselves lesser than him because they arent force wielding saber nerds

Probably should have explained any of this in the films

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Probably should have explained any of this in the films

The OT (and to a much lesser extent TLJ) do explain this. You have a very clear divide between the theatrical and flamboyant Darth Vader and Emperor and the buttoned-down, all-business Imperial officer corps. The philosophy that unites them is that fear maintains the order of things, where the strong are above the weak.

It doesn't explain what the gently caress's happening on Exegol but that's more than just a philosophy thing. We don't even see the people living on Exegol hardly at all.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
do they loving eat lightning 3x a day or

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flavius Aetass posted:

do they loving eat lightning 3x a day or

And poo poo thunder

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

maybe i put too much weight on the explanatory force of a tweet. a cult planet worshipping the emperor would make sense

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

like how the empire was a real rear end in a top hat gang but not actually packed w sith or practicing sith selfishness (just supporting the emperor), the cult could be a real rear end in a top hat gang that isnt packed w sith practices or morality (just supporting the emperor)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The KOTOR sith had regular dudes who were basically just space nazis and the evil force users themselves. The space nazi military was corrupt but they weren't sith style "literally stab your commander in the back asap"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the emperor on exegol posing with a huuuuuge radish

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cease to Hope posted:

TROS is terrible but i don't have a problem with a society built on master-slave morality in a setting with space wizards and evil mind control magic

Mind control is explicitly good magic in-setting. The evil wizards just kill you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tyranny did "whole army where murdering your superior officer was OK" and it was...unstable.

IRL, "authoritarian personality" refers to two very different but very linked personalities: people who want to rule like dictators, and people who want to be ruled by dictators. Fiction about the latter is less common since they're kind of pathetic.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

what if the information you need to enjoy the movie more is actually in the movie

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Tulip posted:

Tyranny did "whole army where murdering your superior officer was OK" and it was...unstable.

the romans had that system too in a way. turns out most soldiers just want to get paid, who knew

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Did anybody figure out the logistics of the sith fleet? Of building/crewing a giant fleet of ships on a planet that you literally can't get to without a magic sith box? And there are only two of those boxes in existence?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

cams posted:

what if the information you need to enjoy the movie more is actually in the movie

it also helps if the movie is good

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
define good

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

go away

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That which is not bad, but is also not not bad. Nor can it be worse than bad.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

cuntman.net posted:

i dunno the us hasnt collapsed yet :rackem:

Hard disagree on that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is it's extra dumb given the prequels for all their issues specifically establish the importance of logistics; AotC explicitly shows both armies being built from the ground up, the cloning facilities and the droid factories, and the importance to the plot of an ex-Jedi turned literal royalty who funded the clone army with his vast personal wealth. Neither of the armies comes out of nowhere, which is a little ironic given that is absolutely the intended feel in-universe; the Republic suddenly has a fully functional army of expendable clones, so why wouldn't they immediately use it against the violent separatists killing their agents with a massive army of droids?

Even the First Order is said to have conquered and looted unexplored regions of the galaxy to rebuild their forces.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
TROS should have just made the final order an undead army. The massive fleet of star destroyers are clearly the debris of the empire's old armada, covered in burns and blasts, held together only by palpatine's will. The first order cronies look into the window of a ghost ship to see it manned by stormtroopers in armor that is burnt or full of holes, and it quickly becomes apparent that there's nothing inside the armor. Palpatine himself is just the sith equivalent of a force ghost, only existing because of the hatred and fear of his legacy that remains in the universe. When Palpatine gets defeated, the ghost ships crumble into nothing, leaving the first order suddenly on far more even ground with the Resistance.

Anyway, that's my fanfic, please like and comment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheBystander posted:

TROS should have just made the final order an undead army. The massive fleet of star destroyers are clearly the debris of the empire's old armada, covered in burns and blasts, held together only by palpatine's will. The first order cronies look into the window of a ghost ship to see it manned by stormtroopers in armor that is burnt or full of holes, and it quickly becomes apparent that there's nothing inside the armor. Palpatine himself is just the sith equivalent of a force ghost, only existing because of the hatred and fear of his legacy that remains in the universe. When Palpatine gets defeated, the ghost ships crumble into nothing, leaving the first order suddenly on far more even ground with the Resistance.

Literally a way better ending than anything else could have been.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
JJ Abrams was just salty that Rian Johnson made a way better movie

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The sequel trilogy should have gone with the avatar model and never ever delivered any follow up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheBystander posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean was fun but I haven't seen it since high school.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

reignofevil posted:

The sequel trilogy should have gone with the avatar model and never ever delivered any follow up.

TFA was the only Disney movie that I really liked so if they actually did just release that and pull the Avatar 2 “oh yeah episode 8 is coming! And 9 and a bunch of spinoffs! Just you wait!” in perpetuity while focusing on games and TV shows and such I would honestly have a way higher opinion of them

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

TFA was the only Disney movie that I really liked so if they actually did just release that and pull the Avatar 2 “oh yeah episode 8 is coming! And 9 and a bunch of spinoffs! Just you wait!” in perpetuity while focusing on games and TV shows and such I would honestly have a way higher opinion of them

i mean this is basically what things were like in 1995

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I honestly don't know what people see in TFA. That movie is just teases within vagueries within cyphers within opaqueness all in the name of the typical Abrams gambit of trying to distract you from realizing what you're watching isn't actually interesting. Its sequels may be far more ridiculous but I find TFA tedious and dull (and just IMO the creatures and settings and such were kind of off, almost seemed more like Star Trek at times). It's actually improved by watching it now because a lot of the mystery box bullshit is neutralized.

Also the cast in general looks kinda ugly in TFA, just about everyone except maybe Leia looks better in the others for some reason.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I honestly don't know what people see in TFA. That movie is just teases within vagueries within cyphers within opaqueness all in the name of the typical Abrams gambit of trying to distract you from realizing what you're watching isn't actually interesting. Its sequels may be far more ridiculous but I find TFA tedious and dull (and just IMO the creatures and settings and such were kind of off, almost seemed more like Star Trek at times). It's actually improved by watching it now because a lot of the mystery box bullshit is neutralized.

Also the cast in general looks kinda ugly in TFA, just about everyone except maybe Leia looks better in the others for some reason.

I didn't care for TFA. The movie had its good bits here and there, and it was okay overall, but it just didn't feel like Star Wars to me, despite trying way too hard to make itself feel like Star Wars. It's kinda like the uncanny valley; the more it tried to pass itself off as being Star Wars by trying to hit all the "hey, remember this thing you liked in the original trilogy" nostalgia buttons, the less it ended up feeling like an actual Star Wars movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tfa was really good and fun when i was thirsty for star wars and i saw it in a theater full of young children, including many girls, going apeshit when rey lit up the lightsaber

in retrospect it's a fine, fun romp with a stinker of a second act.