Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Olaf The Stout posted:

You probated me, with the only reason being “sounds like you need a pork bun.” If you’re going to arbitrarily probate me for not liking the old boring underwhelming videogame you like I might as well earn it. Pasty Of The Year, you are a loving piece of dogshit. Go jump face-first into a grease fire you fat gently caress.

I would slap you with a fish if there were an aquarium handy. I would not impale you on a swordfish or throw you into a speaker because you're not cool enough to go out like that. A leg or arm break though? Definitely.

Just a good fish slap and send you outside so you can listen to Yellow Fever and chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

You probated me, with the only reason being “sounds like you need a pork bun.” If you’re going to arbitrarily probate me for not liking the old boring underwhelming videogame you like I might as well earn it. Pasty Of The Year, you are a loving piece of dogshit. Go jump face-first into a grease fire you fat gently caress.

Dude you were probated for trying to fun police what people can like in the "things people like about video games" thread.

And by fun police I mean someone who polices fun, not police that are fun, like Sleeping Dogs protagonist Wei Shen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Olaf The Stout posted:

You're the one who started this whole nonsense, in a thread specifically about things in games that we like.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Olaf The Stout posted:

You are really quite an unpleasant person. Maybe this is why you don't like noted great video game Sleeping Dogs? Maybe give it another go?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like someone needs a pork bun in their hand right now.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Rename probating to porkbunning.

Also who gets that upset over a sixer?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The same kind of person who gets real properly cheesed that people are talking about Sleeping Dogs in <current year>.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

It's always a tense "this just got serious" moment in Yakuza when someone pulls a gun as they tend to reinforce just how far someone is willing to go to risk handling one

https://i.imgur.com/4AbfbbZ.mp4

I saw this and I was like who the gently caress brings an RPG to a gang fight?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Those are Javelin launchers so they run about 200k USD for launcher plus missile. Lets you really know how serious they are. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

I saw this and I was like who the gently caress brings an RPG to a gang fight?

Someone who's serious about fighting Kazuma Kiryu, because have you seen what happens when you try to fight him hand-to-hand or with small arms?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One thing I really enjoyed in Sleeping Dogs was the leaderboard, where it would track various things like "longest time spent driving over a certain speed without running in to anything" and compare how you did to your friends. The Just Cause games added this, but my leaderboards on those are way emptier. With sleeping dogs I could compare my scores against a couple dozen goons on my Steam friends list, so I was spending time doing all sorts of stuff that I normally wouldn't try.

Your av reminds me of a favorite little thing in Deus Ex along the same lines, that there's so many weird gimmick runs that you can pull off, finding a new one no one's done before is some really fun creative stuff that's hard to find in non-immersive sim type stuff. It's cool enough when you find something in Prey that works, but in a game from 2000 it's just nuts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone who's serious about fighting Kazuma Kiryu, because have you seen what happens when you try to fight him hand-to-hand or with small arms?

He has made the Serious Face.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

Also who gets that upset over a sixer?

oh man you would be surprised

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys I can't believe we are talking about Sleeping Dogs in 2020....

And not Sleeping Dogs 2. Where is it? Why can't we have it? Ridiculous.

Since Division 2 was 4 bucks j decided to pick it up. And I got to say, couldn't tell you what's happening in the story (beyond 'make the settlement better, these gangs are bad') but I'm really just enjoying walking around this quiet DC, picking up collectibles and resources here and there, just chilling out.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Olaf The Stout posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

To be clear, the first probe was, as others correctly pointed out, for fun-policing in a thread dedicated to appreciating games.

This one was by request, baby.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Morpheus posted:

Since Division 2 was 4 bucks j decided to pick it up. And I got to say, couldn't tell you what's happening in the story (beyond 'make the settlement better, these gangs are bad') but I'm really just enjoying walking around this quiet DC, picking up collectibles and resources here and there, just chilling out.

I spend a lot more time in that game just wandering around rather than doing missions. Both it and its predecessor have some really great environmental design, especially the weather effects.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Morpheus posted:

Guys I can't believe we are talking about Sleeping Dogs in 2020....

And not Sleeping Dogs 2. Where is it? Why can't we have it? Ridiculous.

I thought that game called Judgement (??)was gonna be a sleeping dogs clone, then i saw it had like magic flaming fists and poo poo and lost interest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I thought that game called Judgement (??)was gonna be a sleeping dogs clone, then i saw it had like magic flaming fists and poo poo and lost interest.

That’s a Yakuza spinoff. It’s still an open world brawler, but the fighting is less combo-y and there’s no cars. Tons of weird side activities, though, and a smaller but very detailed open world (they’ve been working on that map for like 15 years and 7 games and it shows)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He breaks your hands, shoots three of your buddies and then beans the fourth with the gun.

I love the yakuza games very much and hope the HD remakes of 3, 4 and 5 hit steam.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nuebot posted:

He breaks your hands, shoots three of your buddies and then beans the fourth with the gun.

I love the yakuza games very much and hope the HD remakes of 3, 4 and 5 hit steam.

Shoots them non-lethally.

Also one of my favourite things about Kiryu is that as long as you don't cross a murderous threshold, you can apologize to him and he will understand and forgive you if you mean it.

Edit: These new Revise, Mods?!, and Plagiarize buttons on SA are really messing me up

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Taerkar posted:

I spend a lot more time in that game just wandering around rather than doing missions. Both it and its predecessor have some really great environmental design, especially the weather effects.

Me and a friend were doing level 4 landmark things and it started storming and we couldn’t see or hear anything, most realistic portrayal of dc I ever seen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Me and a friend were doing level 4 landmark things and it started storming and we couldn’t see or hear anything, most realistic portrayal of dc I ever seen.

Yeah, the weather is fantastic. Having spotlights shining through fog while it rains around you in the darkness is pretty as hell.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s a Yakuza spinoff. It’s still an open world brawler, but the fighting is less combo-y and there’s no cars. Tons of weird side activities, though, and a smaller but very detailed open world (they’ve been working on that map for like 15 years and 7 games and it shows)

The new one's got a new map (several new maps? I have only played the demo) and it really bugs me that they've got Hello Work *and* the red light district on the wrong side of the station.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, the weather is fantastic. Having spotlights shining through fog while it rains around you in the darkness is pretty as hell.

I still like plague-ridden NYC in the dead of winter more but that's entirely just cause I'm a sucker for that aesthetic. Plus I miss the random folks leaning out apartment windows cheering you on now and then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The expansion they just announced goes back to NYC. Although probably not winter since the wardrobe now isn't winter clothes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm amazed it's an entire new area and not just a few helicopter missions or such.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ubisoft supports the hell out of their games post-release. They completely salvaged D1 that way, and I’m very excited for this expansion in D2.

With D1, they actually postponed launching paid DLC to go over the base game and completely revamp the endgame.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm kind of bummed I didn't play the first Division, since I feel so disconnected with the events on Div2 and the characters they're referencing. Likewise, I think it would've been cooler doing winter NYC soon after the outbreak, rather than DC 7 months later.

But picking it up now just to play through the plot seems dumb as hell. There needed to be a 'what happened in New York' recap cutscene in Division 1 to get you caught up and more interested in the characters, world, and events - the most they really have now is maybe finding some audio logs that reference it, and the tooltips on the loading screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

I'm kind of bummed I didn't play the first Division, since I feel so disconnected with the events on Div2 and the characters they're referencing. Likewise, I think it would've been cooler doing winter NYC soon after the outbreak, rather than DC 7 months later.

But picking it up now just to play through the plot seems dumb as hell. There needed to be a 'what happened in New York' recap cutscene in Division 1 to get you caught up and more interested in the characters, world, and events - the most they really have now is maybe finding some audio logs that reference it, and the tooltips on the loading screen.

The campaign for D1 is pretty fun, but what you’re really missing out on is the exploration. It’s one of the few games where I went and found all the audio logs and collectibles. They’re really well-written, walking around NY to find them was a blast, there’s a way to have them all marked on your map, and the gameplay rewards for finding them are pretty hefty. It’s basically the perfect collectible system.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I finished Control the other day, and I see why so many were praising the Ashtray Maze. I figured it was going to be just a complex, visually loving wild maze to get through, but then the Old Gods of Asgard made an appearance.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Olaf The Stout posted:

Clearly this is a poster who is not a true man.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Olaf The Stout posted:

LITERALLY RETIRED
Aug 28, 2019

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Olaf The Stout posted:

Olaf, if you address Pastry like this again you're getting more than a twelve. You're pretty fortunate he saw your post before I did.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LITERALLY AN ADMIN posted:

Olaf, if you address Pastry like this again you're getting more than a twelve. You're pretty fortunate he saw your post before I did.

:justban:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo it's okay to criticize games in this thread if you explain why you feel that way. Because at least that way you can have a conversation about it. So many people just belly flop in and go "THE GAME YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS BAD. THAT'S ALL BYE" and it's like gee thanks, a meaningless statement that contributes nothing.Trash talking a game in the thread for talking about good things you like is a weird thing to do, but if you're gonna then at least try to justify your opinion.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Also, an aversion to pork buns does not count as a problem with a game, only with yourself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replaying BIoshock 2, a little thing about it I enjoy is that the little flying drones called in with the higher level Security Command plasmids are given names and the pool's large enough that you don't get the same one twice, generally.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

That's only in the VR minigame part of it.

It's still not a Sleeping Dogs clone though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zWbVpfxSWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Funny, i always get to the end of sleeping dogs and i'm all "OK, time to play the story DLC" and i never get into it because I'm already at my max open world shenanigans limit. maybe i should finally play it and just start with it.