Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

He didn’t though. A simmering anger that he keeps almost letting pop throughout the movie, then plays for laughs whenever he gets close enough that people notice, finally blows up and he kills the man he both adores and loathes, temporarily creating a fantasy of power over his situation at the expense of 1-3 people’s’ lives. Then he goes to cry in the basement forever while his wife mourns her dead daughter and the son lies in bed all day, thinking about how he’ll make everything right by basically winning the lottery of life.

There’s something there about “the good Indians” and “bad Indians” at the party in the end, with the good Indians saving the cake and returning it to the parks. There’s more to unpack there, like the moms comment about the tables being laid out in the crane formation, but I only saw the movie once and have some reading to do.

the whole fam was under the patriarch’s thrall and whether he consciously emancipated his family is besides the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Rated PG-34 posted:

the whole fam was under the patriarch’s thrall and whether he consciously emancipated his family is besides the point

No, emancipation would be burning down the house, not just killing one of its current occupants. The remains of his family are still very much thralls of the house, and he himself sits around in the darkened sub basement of the house, apologizing to a picture of the man he killed and sending out an apology letter to his son in Morse code; one which can only be seen by watching the house light, because he knows his son won’t be able to stay away either.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

No, emancipation would be burning down the house, not just killing one of its current occupants. The remains of his family are still very much thralls of the house, and he himself sits around in the darkened sub basement of the house, apologizing to a picture of the man he killed and sending out an apology letter to his son in Morse code; one which can only be seen by watching the house light, because he knows his son won’t be able to stay away either.

He can't escape the house, his son can't escape the house, and even in his son's wildest fantasies all that happens is the son becomes the owner of the house instead of the servant. There's no emancipation, there's only fantasies of changing places in the unequal power structure.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

yes, ultimately there is no real emancipation. just an immediate emancipation from the petty condescension of the patriarch for whatever that’s worth.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

He can't escape the house, his son can't escape the house, and even in his son's wildest fantasies all that happens is the son becomes the owner of the house instead of the servant. There's no emancipation, there's only fantasies of changing places in the unequal power structure.

Exactly. Focusing on Mr. Park, or any of the Parks and their completely unexceptional alienated rich person weirdness is just part of the close up magic of capitalism.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

does anyone still watch narcos? the second season of the mexico series is just as good as its always been.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
finally watch parasite, that movie is great. loved it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my read on the whole boy indian thing is that it ties into boy scouts its because they fetishize survivalism as being critical to success the irony being that the kims are actual survivalists who the parks find disgusting much like how white people or anyone else who fetishize indians finds actual indians disgusting

and yeah ram don is not something to be overthunk as a class thing its just a dumb weird eccentric comfort food that kids like to eat gonna add that to the list of things that make the parasite subtitles poo poo theres absolutely no reason to make up a new weird imaginary word when he could have just called them something like combo noodles instead

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

does anyone still watch narcos? the second season of the mexico series is just as good as its always been.

I have been meaning to watch the third season of the original, I binged most of the first two seasons in like two very drunken nights. Not sure if I would hate it now. I mean on one hand US loving with South America and the drug war, OTOH JFC Escobar was a monster.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have been meaning to watch the third season of the original, I binged most of the first two seasons in like two very drunken nights. Not sure if I would hate it now. I mean on one hand US loving with South America and the drug war, OTOH JFC Escobar was a monster.

third season is good but its about cali and none of the characters are as interesting as pablo. narcos: mexico has a similar problem, but i think the actual quality of the show has increased

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Some Guy TT posted:

my read on the whole boy indian thing is that it ties into boy scouts its because they fetishize survivalism as being critical to success the irony being that the kims are actual survivalists who the parks find disgusting much like how white people or anyone else who fetishize indians finds actual indians disgusting

and yeah ram don is not something to be overthunk as a class thing its just a dumb weird eccentric comfort food that kids like to eat gonna add that to the list of things that make the parasite subtitles poo poo theres absolutely no reason to make up a new weird imaginary word when he could have just called them something like combo noodles instead

It's a rich persons idea of poor people food, it's like caviar on Kraft mac&cheese: noodles with sirloin steak.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

It's definitely just a fantasy. You get that momentary hope for catharsis, that maybe the dad will get let out of the basement, but then it cuts back to the son being dirt poor and you remember that everything else in the movie drives home that the son will never be able to do that and the dad is trapped in the basement until the day he dies, sending out that message every night to try and help his family but never knowing if they'll even see it or not. There's no escape and no exit within the system that put them all there, and thinking there is is just a brain-damaged young man's impossible fantasy of social mobility.

reminds me a bit of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlHe-hYMkqk

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
just watched the 2011 michael shannon film take shelter and lmao we're all going to die and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

season 3 of narcos post pablo was probably the best season of narcos: columbia

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

third season is good but its about cali and none of the characters are as interesting as pablo. narcos: mexico has a similar problem, but i think the actual quality of the show has increased

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i watched 10 minutes of narcos mexuco s01e01 and it was bad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

paul_soccer12 posted:

season 3 of narcos post pablo was probably the best season of narcos: columbia

Agree with this.

The best part of narcos mexico s2 was

when the PRI neoliberals dumped Felix Gallardo as soon as they didn't need him any more to rig the election for them, despite the fact that he was warned before that their privatization deals would make them richer than Gallardo ever could

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Fuk I gotta rewatch this show

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I'm watching it right now and it's good OP

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
why isnt it 4 day week and 3 day bender. i read that bread book

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
replaying bioshock infinite and really hating the bullshit both sides stuff they did with the vox populi.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Mycroft Holmes posted:

replaying bioshock infinite and really hating the bullshit both sides stuff they did with the vox populi.

play the dlc to get their particularly backpedally reason as to why Daisy does what she does and you can get even more mad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

My wife is playing through it for the first time and yeah it sucks

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

infinite is particularly funny because it seems like its gonna be super political and then it goes "actually this is about time travel"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zokari posted:

infinite is particularly funny because it seems like its gonna be super political and then it goes "actually this is about time travel"

it's literally all just set dressing and Bioshock Infinite might be the first piece of media that has made me think lesser of the works that came before it because of how absolutely boneheaded Ken Levine ended up being, and realizing that everything good in the first game was an accident, and everything good in the second game was gameplay from a studio he had nothing to do with

it's really a holistically awful work of media in an impressive way

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

they tried so hard to be apolitical that it couldnt even come out against racism

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

ScrubLeague posted:

just watched the 2011 michael shannon film take shelter and lmao we're all going to die and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zokari posted:

they tried so hard to be apolitical that it couldnt even come out against racism

but enough about the dnc

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My mom still rants about how vile and evil she finds the ending of Brazil lol. That's life!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Ken Levine is a guy will jokingly deride that all he knows comes from his liberal arts degree but even he’s not that good at that either

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Hows the new Tame Impala album

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sounds like a tame impala album op. little less energetic than currents I think

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

excellent article on colonialism in parasite

daisy ridley did nothing wrong, omelettes and eggs, eat the rich (and their famil)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1229904413055078400?s=21

holy poo poo I’m gonna cuuummm

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

My mom still rants about how vile and evil she finds the ending of Brazil lol. That's life!

i do the same thing, but about the lovely theatrical release version where it's a happy ending

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

was there ever any conclusion to the last episode of nathan for you where it appeared he was going to propose to the prostitute? i recall the comedy central app got worse and worse over time and i kind of stopped watching any of their shows, but i always wondered if there was any resolution or if it'll be a cliffhanger for eternity

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Impkins Patootie posted:

Hows the new Tame Impala album

Listening to it now. So far it sounds like Currents but the sound engineer leaned on the vaporwave filter switch. It’s not bad, but I was expecting something more based on how places like amg flipped their poo poo.

Dan Deacon’s newest album is maybe the best thing he’s done though. Listen to that instead.

E: ok on the third Slow Rush track. It sounds better.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

was there ever any conclusion to the last episode of nathan for you where it appeared he was going to propose to the prostitute? i recall the comedy central app got worse and worse over time and i kind of stopped watching any of their shows, but i always wondered if there was any resolution or if it'll be a cliffhanger for eternity

the sex worker you mean I’m sure I’d hate it too but we gotta be more kind

his character was a weird work between real and “fake” in that finale but honestly that’s what made him so endearing

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

paul_soccer12 posted:

i watched 10 minutes of narcos mexuco s01e01 and it was bad

i think mexico is generally better than colombia, aside for the lack of pablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zvahl posted:

play the dlc to get their particularly backpedally reason as to why Daisy does what she does and you can get even more mad

What's the reason?