Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe i need to smoke less weed lol, i only watched wizards for the first time like a month ago but somehow i got the storyline completely scrambled in my head. doing an lp at least means i will remember it in detail forever, to be passed down to my children and grandchildren and become a strange piece of folklore over many centuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Invictus posted:

Not the dumb blue sonic-sized metal sonic, but the giant bare metal, covered in rivets one

That ones Silver Sonic. I like in the comics where Sonic uses it as makeshift armour to fight an amped up Robotnik.

Thought the movie was actually pretty good- unambitious, sure, but probably better for it. Also the closest thing to an origin story Sonic has ever gotten. As expected, Robotnik is the best part.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The next film better be Shadow the Edgehog

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A giant ring opens above the White House, tons of mechs come flying out piloted by Echidnas (robots piloted by animals, duh) that have allied themselves with Robotnik. Then finally, as the Egg Carrier comes looming forth, this music plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhX7XKgkDU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Barudak posted:

The next film better be Shadow the Edgehog

Rated R for gun use.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rated r for radical

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BioEnchanted posted:

A giant ring opens above the White House, tons of mechs come flying out piloted by Echidnas (robots piloted by animals, duh) that have allied themselves with Robotnik. Then finally, as the Egg Carrier comes looming forth, this music plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhX7XKgkDU

lol just lol if you don't think that mushroom planet is gonna be roboticized and he's shoving small helpless forest critters into robot animals as power sources by the time part 2 rolls around

while googling "roboticized" to make sure that was a word from sonic and not something I dreamed up, this was the first image result and lmfao I COMPLETELY forgot they made a 12-part Megaman/Sonic crossover comic where Dr. Wily and Robotnik are BFFEFFs

M'EGGA MAN. brilliant

this comic book cover is SO GOOD

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is that the whole alliance predictably falls apart, because it's Eggman who is the proper sociopath of the duo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not surprising, Wily wants world domination, a relatively sensible goal. Eggman's always had ridiculous bullshit that he tries to do like awakening lovecraftian monsters to use their power to build a murderous theme park to kill a magic hedgehog. Wily wants something he can have and rule over, Eggman wants something dead. Wily's evil is constructive and in some ways occasionally subtle (like that one game where he frames Dr Light for building the evil robots) Eggman is purely destructive.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

hallelujah posted:

there's so much great fanfic out there to provide narrative inspiration that they had no excuse for a boring plot

I'm looking forward to the sequel with such characters as sonic but with heterochromia, sonic but green, sonic but with a sword, and sonic but turqouise. Also, they are all friends with Gary Smith from Ohio, and think he is the coolest person in the world.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

sonic but green

To be fair, Scourge was one of the few unfortunate casualties after the post-Penders reboot

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/1229613622411878400?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Not surprising, Wily wants world domination, a relatively sensible goal. Eggman's always had ridiculous bullshit that he tries to do like awakening lovecraftian monsters to use their power to build a murderous theme park to kill a magic hedgehog. Wily wants something he can have and rule over, Eggman wants something dead. Wily's evil is constructive and in some ways occasionally subtle (like that one game where he frames Dr Light for building the evil robots) Eggman is purely destructive.

In that specific case, it's also that the comics take on Wily is basically him wanting to prove himself superior to Dr Light and still having a twisted sort of friendship with him, just he considers world domination to be the stakes of their game, while Eggman just legit doesn't care what anyone thinks of him- in that they have any ability to think at all- and him trying to toss a captive Dr Light out the airlock is the last straw for Wily.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No-one wants to mention that the Sonic script is just the Bumblebee movie with the serial numbers filed off, even down to the ending in SF. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, Sonic is basically just Dewey Duck.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
"CGI ends up in the Real World and needs our help" is the kind of script that basically relies on execution because of how generic of a template it is. The fact that so many people think Sonic pulled it off feels like a solid endorsement of the movie's charm IMO.

I think using an excitable, naive Sonic was absolutely the right call for it, too. Someone already mature and confident would feel odd being suddenly shackled to a cop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, Sonic being impulsive and immature feels like a workable and natural take on the character. Whenever he's allowed to have a personality he's generally an entertaining jerk, and sometimes basically Bugs Bunny (plus Road Runner) but they actually lean into how he's canonically supposed to be a teenager. You can kinda see this take on Sonic growing into the carefree wanderer who makes friends wherever he goes and has a sense of responsibility even though he usually avoids it whenever possible.

Interestingly they seem to be leaning into an occasionally implied idea in some material that humans in the Sonic-verse are technologically advanced but almost entirely lacking in magic, which other species take for granted (like the rings they use as portals) and Robotnik is uniquely talented but working off probably the most advanced active technological base in the setting. Sonic the Comic has a full on alien invasion where the aliens are humans.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hallelujah posted:

i was really worried!

I'm transitioning away but it's important that people have to confront that sonic, bad. Like the most telegraphed, cliche, boring pandering mess of a film. Jim Carey did his best though, that guys committed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

When are we going to get Hank the Chog? :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRr7PzdxvIs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
honestly i thought carrey kinda sucked in the beginning but he grew into the role and was definitely trying to sound like some of eggman's voice actors at points

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Looper posted:

honestly i thought carrey kinda sucked in the beginning but he grew into the role and was definitely trying to sound like some of eggman's voice actors at points

Carrey underwent a slow descent from Jim Carrey to Dr. Eggman and it was beautiful.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Do you think Alf will ever make a comeback?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I doubt it, he's kind of a punchline for 'Weird 80s pop culture', and from all accounts it seems like his creator was kind of a nutball. Looks like they did consider rebooting ALF in 2018 but decide to cancel it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I doubt it, he's kind of a punchline for 'Weird 80s pop culture', and from all accounts it seems like his creator was kind of a nutball. Looks like they did consider rebooting ALF in 2018 but decide to cancel it.

Plus the guy who operates the ALF puppet is loving insane and no one will work with him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think an alien who eats cats would be met very positively these days.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't like it in the 80s when I was a kid, either.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Just change that to an alien who eats rear end and you'll be rolling in cash.

I also mostly wanted to make this post to put the idea of Alf eating rear end in people's heads. You're welcome.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

I didn't like it in the 80s when I was a kid, either.

I loving hated Alf. He's loving gross and a jerk. If you told me Alf was a rapist I'd just be confused because he was a puppet. I despise him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never liked alf. gently caress alf, and his stupid rear end creature design. Who even design that poo poo?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yes. In pog form.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
some guy created a duplicate wizards lp in gbs, he hasn't provided any content and it's just full of the most miserable goons imaginable talking about how much bakshi sucks :( i hate gbs! they repulse me!

e: oh good, he just started posting content. now we have duelling wizards threads, and everything is as it should be

hallelujah fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 18, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Sonic movie's weird in that it's actually a relatively new thing for the franchise, out of long-forgotten non-canon comics: an origin story for both Sonic and Robotnik. Even the fairly cursory details about their childhood and backgrounds are a lot more than pretty much any previous material, and inform their characterisation startlingly well. Sonic is a very social being who's been heavily isolated, and Robotnik a near-sociopathic genius with a terminal case of Smartest Person In The Room syndrome who is barely tolerated as a US government asset because anything you point him at tends to stop being a problem very quickly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Robotnik's also interesting because of his anecdote. His initial outburst was a result of being beaten up as a child and reacting very strongly. He always claims to not need anybody, but clearly loves Agent Stone as a colleague and even has an analog for him on the Mushroom Planet as a coping mechanism, implying that he misses him. He's probably going to return to Earth and be really happy to see the real Stone again after years of taking him for granted, like he never realised how much he actually needed other people until they were no longer around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder how many sequels they'll try for. one? two? thirty? they're completely hamstrung by how many Jim Carrey wants to do, though. He's clearly in it for the next one, but I wonder if he'll drop out past that. The movie's made nearly 60 million on its opening weekend which is, well, that's a lot more than I expected honestly, and the showing I went to was a sold out sunday afternoon, with the following showing also sold out. They've gotta try to milk this thing for all its worth, but I really wonder where they go from here.

I really hope they go way harder in the direction of the sonic bullshit. turn the fungal world into a variety of the robotnik zones. have the animals from sonic's world generate energy and thus robotnik wants to stuff'em in ladybug and fish robots as power sources to take over the world. throw in Scratch and Grounder as lackeys, I don't know. There's a bunch of bullshit they could pull from, hell they could even go the route of the saturday morning cartoon instead of big the cat and amy.

actually, I'd prefer that, over having big the cat and amy appear in any sonic movie

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Amusingly in my showing the thing that got the biggest audience reaction was Robotnik shaving his head with a sharp rock, the whole audience audibly winced at that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

actually, I'd prefer that, over having big the cat and amy appear in any sonic movie

congratulations, your opinion has been disqualified

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hear me out - it's Big the Cat, still John St John, but he's doing the Duke Nukem voice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Looper posted:

congratulations, your opinion has been disqualified
Someone who likes big the cat and amy, do they have the proper judgement to make such a decision? No, no they do not. I bet you like sonic adventure too, you monster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Hear me out - it's Big the Cat, still John St John, but he's doing the Duke Nukem voice.

Lets compromise, Big the Cat but he says "Trans Rights"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just put a run of Sonic Dreams on the big screen.