Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought it was well done that the general shifts in their society towards the end of the show weren't arbitrarily un-Ferengi in their logic; They didn't all magically turn into a perfect egalitarian society, it's just turns out that things like medical care and time off (as well as employing :females: as equal staff instead of denigrating them as property) is insanely more profitable than exploitation and near-servitude for employees.

I mean, Ayn Rand had a term for that kind of thing. "Rational Self-Interest". You gain more down the road, by treating them better.

And I mean, look at our current system where you are nickel and dimed on everything. Ferengi would loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Both Quark/Grilka episodes are fantastic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Man I'm watching Future's End Part 2 and Chakotay mentions his semester "in the belt" and now I'm thinking how much better Voyager would have been if it had been a Starfleet/Belter crew.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Man I'm watching Future's End Part 2 and Chakotay mentions his semester "in the belt" and now I'm thinking how much better Voyager would have been if it had been a Starfleet/Belter crew.

The Marquis are a bunch of angry assholes holding onto their lovely little piece of the galaxy (Expanse spoilers) even though there are countless habitable worlds to settle on elsewhere. They are already Beltalowda.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I like how Voyager made it so everyone in Starfleet had some sort of relationship with Boothby.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

coconono posted:

Deep Space 9. Just great classic poo poo

:hai:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

E: You know what there's no need for me to be rude

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
whether Picard is actually good or not remains to be seen but i think we can all agree that Captain Rios and the Holograms are wonderful. i hope they just keep bringing out new ones every episode. Emergency Butt Wiping Hologram and Emergency Jefferies Tube Hologram

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Marquis are a bunch of angry assholes holding onto their lovely little piece of the galaxy (Expanse spoilers) even though there are countless habitable worlds to settle on elsewhere. They are already Beltalowda.

I just want Chakotay calling someone dustlungs.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

we have too many star trek threads. i am getting burned out on talking about star trek on the internet

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Emergency Splooge Mopper Hologram, Emergency Anal Bleaching Hologram...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oh but seriously I posted:

we have too many star trek threads. i am getting burned out on talking about star trek on the internet

The other is the mirror universe thread.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The mirror universe thread is the one in TV/IV, where Picard is the greatest Star Trek show ever made.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is the only Star Trek thread for me. You people always have been, and always shall be my friends.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The General posted:

This is the only Star Trek thread for me. You people always have been, and always shall be my friends.

Alongside "Old Yeller", WoK is one of the few acceptable movies for men to cry at.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oh but seriously I posted:

you can post about other space operas in the star trek thread. it's tradition

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you can post about other space operas in the star trek thread. it's tradition

Only Andromeda and ALF

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i do not accept your rules

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
those some weird looking Daleks

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't insult the Beltalowda by comparing a bunch of rich inners, trying to steal more land and have people fight their wars for them to keep it in a galaxy of innumerable planets, just because they wanted to feel persecuted and put-upon.

They're a bunch of goddamn hipster assholes. They're the goddamn Mormons. But worse.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Don't insult the Beltalowda by comparing a bunch of rich inners, trying to steal more land and have people fight their wars for them to keep it in a galaxy of innumerable planets, just because they wanted to feel persecuted and put-upon.

They're a bunch of goddamn hipster assholes. They're the goddamn Mormons. But worse.

I dunno if I would call them rich, they're colonists but they aren't necessarily *rich*, esp after the cardassian attacks

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Only Andromeda and ALF

https://i.imgur.com/8mi5f0F.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Alf was a total nightmare on set, all the actors hated each other, the sets were deathtraps due to all the trapdoors for the puppet, and lots of cocaine was involved.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

alexandriao posted:

I dunno if I would call them rich, they're colonists but they aren't necessarily *rich*, esp after the cardassian attacks

Even at their lowest point (pre-slaughter by the Jem'hadar), they were literally living in squalor (and forcing their children to do so as well) by choice because they thought it was cooler than admitting they were being dumb and going back to the Federation (who totally would have given them back their citizenships, which they willfully discarded to show how mad they were over THEIR DIRT not being valued properly, and given them some new planet full of new dirt and tomatoes).

They were 'poor' like some trust fund rear end in a top hat hipster who chooses to be 'poor' for the perceived status it gives them, while always knowing that if they get into any real jams, they can get out of it with one phone call/subspace message and daddy/the Federation will come calling.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Maquis are the SovCits of the Alpha Quadrant. They were fortunate enough to be born in one of the best places in the galaxy, but threw it all away for ARE FREEDUMS.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Johnny Aztec posted:

those some weird looking Daleks

A friend tried to get me into Dr. Who with Eccelson (sp?) and it just wasn't rubbing my rhubarb no matter how fun his blonde buddy was. He was just endlessly goofy and treating everything as such a loving lark until the episode where he came face to face with a Dalek and he started frothing at the mouth screaming murder and could barely be contained. That got me interested for about 15 minutes then he was goofy again. I've only seen a few other scattered episodes: The one with Tenant loving over the vampires was pretty good. The one with sweary-dude riding a tank and playing rock songs was kinda cute too. But overall Who is just too, I dunno, too British.

ALF as a dark reboot mini series could be fun.

Actually in my lovely opinion series should now be in mini series format only. Open ended episodic TV sucks and it always gets to jumping the loving shark and goes down in flames. Just setup a 10 or 15 or whatever episode arc, get tightly from A to B, then leave it alone. Revisit the universe if you must like Fargo did, but even they get a little too cute with the references. You feel me, JL?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fabulousity posted:

A friend tried to get me into Dr. Who with Eccelson (sp?) and it just wasn't rubbing my rhubarb no matter how fun his blonde buddy was. He was just endlessly goofy and treating everything as such a loving lark until the episode where he came face to face with a Dalek and he started frothing at the mouth screaming murder and could barely be contained. That got me interested for about 15 minutes then he was goofy again. I've only seen a few other scattered episodes: The one with Tenant loving over the vampires was pretty good. The one with sweary-dude riding a tank and playing rock songs was kinda cute too. But overall Who is just too, I dunno, too British.

ALF as a dark reboot mini series could be fun.

Actually in my lovely opinion series should now be in mini series format only. Open ended episodic TV sucks and it always gets to jumping the loving shark and goes down in flames. Just setup a 10 or 15 or whatever episode arc, get tightly from A to B, then leave it alone. Revisit the universe if you must like Fargo did, but even they get a little too cute with the references. You feel me, JL?

Or, go with me here, you just not do a mystery-box arc because those almost always suck and instead annually write a season's worth of actual individual episodes with maybe a two-parter finale for a big adventure.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Doctor Who is at its best when it’s in black and white hth.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Only Andromeda and ALF

I had to place the pic on top so Sorbo looks disappointedly at your post.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And yet they still managed to be right on the money with Picard's fundamental problems.

If I didn't watch any of Picard their post would be a turn off from the show. He is somewhat right but his so wrong in details that it makes his whole post irrelevant.
The amount of stretching you need to do to tie his post with reality is lot less than amount of stretching you need to accept Picard into ST universe.

I mean hes more wrong than 'Picard the show' is wrong in universe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Everybody hates the idea of another dark and gritty reboot till you bring up ALF.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dark and gritty Alf is just an Invader Zim revival.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Was it Brent Spiner who pointed out that while Star Trek talks a lot about it being an intellectual show about people who have no more need for war, everybody shoots laser guns all the time?

There was the comment earlier that TOS and TNG "unironically posited that we can get our poo poo together and rise above racism, sexism, war, and greed."

Maybe early TNG did, but early TNG was also a pretty terrible show. TOS didn't. In TOS, the only thing that keeps the Federation from going to war with the Klingons are omnipotent superbeings that slap them on the hand when they try. On the episode where the Romulans show up, when they realize the Romulans look the same as the Vulcans, there's this bridge officer who spends the entire episode saying that he knew Spock was a Tomulan spy all along, because you can't trust those green blooded, pointy eared Vulcans. TOS gave Haecourt Mudd, who's introduced addicting young women to drugs and then selling them to miners who need wives.

The big change has less to do with tone and more with serialization. TOS and TNG, were faster paced. They only had less than an hour to tell a story and rhat meant that any problems they faced, including social problems, had to be fixed in that time period. Discovery and Picard are season or series long arcs telling a single story, which means that episodes are, out of necessity, incomplete.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
But even in TOS, bad guys are usually shown as “bad apples” who are seen through and brought to justice by the crew. That’s not “dark and gritty” and showing we can’t rise above, it’s cartoony and optimistic. There’s never, like, institutional corruption or hopelessness of ever beating evil. In that episode with the Spock space-racism, the crewman learns his lesson, and the Romulan doesn’t want to fight. Even in dire straits when phasers are used, there are lines like “Dead? But I only had it on stun!” so that you know that lasering a sentient being to death is really considered a no-no even for action hero Kirk

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 18, 2020

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Great point! Star Trek doesn’t depict a utopian, optimistic future. It’s basically Robocop when you think about it

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Delthalaz posted:

Great point! Star Trek doesn’t depict a utopian, optimistic future. It’s basically Robocop when you think about it

Maybe there's some middle ground somewhere between utopia and Robocop.

And Stiles's racism is solved by the end of the episode because it's a standalone episode, so everything has to be resolved at the end of the episode. I'd assume in modern serialized Star Trek, Stiles would gradually, over the course of the season, learn that racism is wrong, and change accordingly.

And in Picard, Picard and his crew aren't being portrayed as bloodthirsty racists either. They're clearly on the side of good. If anything, the show is very black and white so far. It's very clear who the good and bad guys are supposed to be.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

A friend tried to get me into Dr. Who with Eccelson (sp?) and it just wasn't rubbing my rhubarb no matter how fun his blonde buddy was. He was just endlessly goofy and treating everything as such a loving lark until the episode where he came face to face with a Dalek and he started frothing at the mouth screaming murder and could barely be contained. That got me interested for about 15 minutes then he was goofy again.
the problem is that when dr who came back, it was tied to kids tv funding (though it wasnt technically kids tv, just tied to a lot of funding and staff, hence why the lighting and music feels like kids tv). ecclestone seemed to interpret this as it being kids tv and went full ham except when he was specifically told to be serious. which is bizarre because he is a good actor otherwise

this kind of bled over to tennant who also mugged it up, although that was largely his shtick until things like broadchurch etc. then his serious bits started to get really good feedback so they leant on it more

matt smith took the interesting approach of acting completely earnest even about ridiculous things, and then capaldi kind of did the same but better

i havent seen much jodie whittaker but from what i understand she's slipped back into tennant / ecclestone mugging

ultimately though the problem is the writing which can run all the way from blink to love and monsters, and ruins even the best performances. think how good the doctor meeting sarah jane again should have been if it was written and overseen by a competent human being

AntherUslessPoster posted:

He is somewhat right but his so wrong in details that it makes his whole post irrelevant.
my dude you have now written more words vagueposting about not wanting to correct me than you would have just correcting me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Trek wishes it could have a villain half as good as Boddicker

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my dude you have now written more words vagueposting about not wanting to correct me than you would have just correcting me

k

Bobby Deluxe posted:

also the amount of times they implied that the federation did not have the money to evacuate and resettle the romulans its like they are a post resource economy you stupid loving cunts aagh i hate picard i really loving hate it

even my wife has been complaining that it answers absolutely nothing, it just piles pointless pseudodeep questions on top of each other and then has a 12 year olds first fanfic crew refuse to talk about their tragic backstory

i am willing to bet if you searched 'cool elf with a sword' on deviantart at least half of the results would look like that romulan nun guy

Implied* that federation has, but can use the resources elsewhere so it doesnt allocate resources to help old enemy
Post scarcity is not post resource
Its vague enough to show the uninitiated viewers the reasons and whats happening but not vague enough for trekkies who can tie Picard's personality with what's happening on screen, why he does this or that
Cool elf with sword in a universe where fencing is a cool pastime, where klingons have ceremonial and actual weapons of all types of blades and only 2 types of energy disruptors, where even logical vulcans have lirpas. Secretive race of secretive people we barely know anything about has people who are practicing 'Absolute candor' as a way of life, whats wrong with that? That they are nuns? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AntherUslessPoster posted:

k

Implied* that federation has, but can use the resources elsewhere so it doesnt allocate resources to help old enemy
Post scarcity is not post resource
Its vague enough to show the uninitiated viewers the reasons and whats happening but not vague enough for trekkies who can tie Picard's personality with what's happening on screen, why he does this or that
Cool elf with sword in a universe where fencing is a cool pastime, where klingons have ceremonial and actual weapons of all types of blades and only 2 types of energy disruptors, where even logical vulcans have lirpas. Secretive race of secretive people we barely know anything about has people who are practicing 'Absolute candor' as a way of life, whats wrong with that? That they are nuns? lmao

Good loving lord; "Honorbound swordsman with a katana" is about as dead a horse as you can flog for a writing cliche for a character, and the writers were lazy enough to make zero effort to disguise it. "Secret society of super-fighter warrior-monks" is a close second. If they had any decent chops, they would've also known better not to dress up Picard in a sunhat and suit to go visit an analogue for one of the British Colonies, with a bundle of gifts and trinkets from Federation British Civilization :britain:. There is a loooot to unpack there and none of it good.

Klingons as a whole draw heavily from feudal Japanese society, but the writers pulled from all aspects of it as general reference to create their own recognizable culture rather than duplicating the source inspiration wholesale.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 18, 2020