Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They drive a loving Nissan - there’s your problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

They drive a loving Nissan - there’s your problem

What's wrong with that if you aren't a racist piece of poo poo?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Who wants a car made by an instant soup company?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

taqueso posted:

I would drive a Knorrmobile all over town. Until I'd run out of petrol.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

taqueso posted:

:pusheen:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't care if they're an audiophile but anyone using Apple products in 2020 is a complete moron.

E: oh I didn't actually read the post.

I bet the car is ugly.

You seem fun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ddogflex posted:

You seem fun.

Thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's wrong with that if you aren't a racist piece of poo poo?

Nissan is like the Beats of car manufacturers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Not true - Nissan doesn't have nearly that much brand recognition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nissan was the fifth-best-selling car brand in 2018.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

Nissan used to make great products. Beats have never done such a thing.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Nissan used to make great products. Beats have never done such a thing.

New beats aren't so bad, they actually put in effort now. Still overpriced af tho

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 4, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I won a set years ago when Microsoft rolled up to my workplace, they were retailing for £179 and were far worse than my DT770s in every way. Marketing has a lot to answer for in terms of supplying lovely, expensive goods to people under the promise of it being actually amazing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nissan was the fifth-best-selling car brand in 2018.

FreeBSD was the fifth most popular PC operating system in 2018.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

taqueso posted:

FreeBSD was the fifth most popular PC operating system in 2018.

No it wasn't. IBM PC compatible perhaps but not PC.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it wasn't. IBM PC compatible perhaps but not PC.

What sort of pedantry are you going for here?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

What sort of pedantry are you going for here?

No-one runs Linux on a personal computer because they want sound.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
What?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It doesn't matter, I made up the freebsd stat

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

quote:

But none of this prevents Alexa from having her way with Berlioz and his sensitive temperament. And even if a streaming service purports to be lossless, it still pulls in electrical noise from routers and Ethernet cables.

Streaming Music Doesn't Flow, It Evaporates https://www.wired.com/story/streaming-music-amazon-echo-sound

Another moron who conflates file compression with audio compression, plus the absolute gem above. You can trust him though, he uses Italian words to describe classical music.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gonna listen to a genre of music known for having the largest dynamic range of pretty much all genres with often a vast amount of instruments playing together and listen to it on a tiny, lovely speaker and then wonder why it doesn't sound great.

The subheader also suggests something can be done about streaming but then doesn't actually explain anything, just says "uh, use a CD"

quote:

Listening to streamed tunes through a smart speaker squeezes the ecstasy out of the experience. There are ways to get it back.

That entire article is so loving wanky.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 18, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Neurophonic posted:

Streaming Music Doesn't Flow, It Evaporates https://www.wired.com/story/streaming-music-amazon-echo-sound

Another moron who conflates file compression with audio compression, plus the absolute gem above. You can trust him though, he uses Italian words to describe classical music.

The answer is stream thru a system with more than a 1” woofer perhaps? 🤔

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 18, 2020

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Neurophonic posted:

I need to stop reading this thread, because articles like this are intensely frustrating

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think when it comes to audio the amount of misinformation actually exceeds facts.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah. I totally get people confusing dynamic and data compression because it's not something that's obvious (given the shorthand used) if you aren't into the technical side of things. People will still write articles like that because they think they know more than they do and the circle of poo poo starts again.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since both dynamic compression and file compression make snare drums sound worse maybe that's the beginning of the idea? Probably not worth analyzing further.

Also sorry in advance to my neighbors

quote:

THANK YOU - Order number: XXXXXXX

Your payment has been approved.

Please contact us if you have any questions

Return to: Rythmik Audio product page

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oh snap. Been eyeing an L12 forever. Now is not the time though, we have been spending like there's no tomorrow and need to slow down :v:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lossy compression throws away higher frequencies so technically it does reduce dynamic range. Again, not trying to defend his other nonsense. But it's clear why people keep grasping onto these arguments.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

Oh snap. Been eyeing an L12 forever. Now is not the time though, we have been spending like there's no tomorrow and need to slow down :v:

Yeah it's an L12, the dumb upgradeitis part of me wanted a F12 but they're almost twice as much if you want the nice finish and honestly in an apartment with neighbors the extra output would be entirely unnecessary. My old 10" Elemental Designs was more than enough. I've been without a sub for like 5 months and I was hoping I wouldn't miss it and maybe just get better mains but I really do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I like that just because this is the audiophile thread and there's an article filled with nonsense that some of you just assumed (as most would) that it was written by a guy.

She does sound awful though:

quote:

Virginia Heffernan (@page88) is an Ideas contributor at WIRED. She is the author of Magic and Loss: The Internet as Art. She is also a cohost of Trumpcast, an op-ed columnist at the Los Angeles Times, and a frequent contributor to Politico. Before coming to WIRED she was a staff writer at the New York Times—first a TV critic, then a magazine columnist, and then an opinion writer. She has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree and PhD in English from Harvard. In 1979 she stumbled onto the internet, when it was the back office of weird clerics, and she’s been in the thunderdome ever since.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect a case of Ivy League Brain Disease. I did look at her bio because I thought it was a different tech writer who doesn't understand audio at first.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

page 88 eh?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

hahaha man she exists to drive me batty, she pens some spectacularly bad op-eds about politics

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Being wrong as a service. Wish I had been clever enough to make that my career. gently caress working for a living

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you gotta show up it's still a job.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

wow

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ItBreathes posted:

If you gotta show up it's still a job.

it's a job but not work, if you follow

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

polyester concept posted:

Lossy compression throws away higher frequencies so technically it does reduce dynamic range. Again, not trying to defend his other nonsense. But it's clear why people keep grasping onto these arguments.

No, it doesn’t. Applying a low pass filter to audio at the position where the signal level is many, many orders of logarithmic magnitude below the fundamentals and even the majority of harmonics, does not appreciably change the crest factor of the signal.

If it did, every digital system, including CDs would be affected the same since they pretty much all - sensibly - include LPF in the signal path to reduce distortion dramatically and avoid frying tweeters with out of band noise acting as heating energy.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Talk about a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. All I got out of it is that she's really horny and likes to misuse latin terms.

Also, she quotes John Darko, who is currently on a crusade to prove that USB cables make a difference. Take from that what you will.

And the reason that 53% of classical music listeners prefer CDs is that classical music discovery and curation is atrocious on most streaming services.

[note: I listen to Darko's podcast. His technical knowledge is horrid, but he is right about how the home audio industry is horribly out of touch. I just skip past any attempt he makes to argue about things from a technical point of view.]

[2nd note: It's far from the worst audiophile podcast]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Darko also has many words about how the digital output stages of different streamers sound different. The root conceit of audiophilia is that it's possible to hear money. What's funny about him is he's "reasonable" by the standards of the industry because he's willing to say that some cheap stuff sounds good [but never quite as good as expensive stuff].