Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Initially, Earnhardt's looked pretty tame as far as race car crashes go. That one killed him and Newman walks away from this one. Baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ernie Irvan almost died TWICE in a race car. The second one was crazy, because he was keeping an eye out and everything.

My first NASCAR memory is watching his yellow #4 Kodak car win the ‘91 Daytona 500.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hunnert car pileup posted:

I saw that Grissom wreck live when I was a kid also. Thankfully it was clear that he was alright pretty quickly.

That Park/Foyt wreck still gets me, though. My jaw dropped when they came back from commercial and had the white sheets around Park's car.

That wreck was the most bewildered I’ve ever been watching a race. We just couldn’t figure out how in the hell it happened.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the actual worst-looking nascar crash i saw live that didn't involve serious injuries was jeff fuller's kentucky crash, where the entire car just buckled. the left side completely collapsed despite him hitting the wall with the right side of the car.

he had a broken wrist and smoke inhalation.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Initially, Earnhardt's looked pretty tame as far as race car crashes go. That one killed him and Newman walks away from this one. Baffling.

i don't mean to be morbid but "walks away" is no guarantee right now

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

kidcoelacanth posted:

he and his wife just announced their separation so i imagine tonight was extremely weird for her

his wife left him, he tried to end his own life, but God didn't want him dead

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I vaguely remember a Busch race or an ARCA race where someone went over a wall and landed outside the track but I have no idea who it would have been.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

sportsgenius86 posted:

I vaguely remember a Busch race or an ARCA race where someone went over a wall and landed outside the track but I have no idea who it would have been.

Probably Jimmy Horton at Talladega. Dude walked away pretty much unhurt while Stan Smith nearly died of a basilar skull fracture in the same crash.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I watched the start of the 1997 Atlanta race where Steve Grissom had his ugly wreck, but didn't actually see it happen as I went to a movie with friends. I think the first time I saw it was on Thrills and Spills.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't think he had any choice in the sponsor, to be fair.

Besides, it's always in style to poo poo on Jack Roush.

I was at Daytona for Austin Dillon's wreck and missed it because I was trying to video the leaders. Kind of glad I did.

You knew things were bad when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. wins a race and the crowd is to stunned to cheer.

I was taking photos of the finish, heard the crowd react in horror, and when I put my camera down saw the giant hole in the fence.

I have no idea how Ryan Newman is alive right now, but I'm grateful that he is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

surf rock posted:

I thought I was desensitized to this kind of poo poo but I just watched that clip and literally screamed JESUS CHRIST at that loving impact

That was my coworker's reaction. I remember that one when it happened and it was :stonk: to the extreme.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, it’s absolutely amazing that he’s not in more serious condition right now. Let’s hope it’s something he can recover from and drive again.

And if we’re talking about “:psyduck: HOW :psyduck:” wrecks then let’s not forget the Mercedes at Le Mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21ZjwZGjiQ

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Am I imagining but didnt Mike Waltrip car evaporate around him at Bristol but walked away and DW burst into tears thinking he just watch his brother die right?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

algebra testes posted:

Am I imagining but didnt Mike Waltrip car evaporate around him at Bristol but walked away and DW burst into tears thinking he just watch his brother die right?
yeah, the whole thing just flew off the frame, it's pretty :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxcuV5rmA4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The ones that are tame looking tend to be the most dangerous. Dale hit the wall at pretty much full speed in the pre-HANS, pre-SAFER era. It's possible that either one of those things (as well as him not loosening his seatbelts on the last lap) saves his life, especially HANS.

Cars going airborne, while bad and can end up like this today, usually are "good" in so far that a lot of speed gets scrubbed off mid-air, meaning the impact tends to be lessened. It means gently caress all if someone hits you at 200 MPH because they have no time to react though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Apraxin posted:

yeah, the whole thing just flew off the frame, it's pretty :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxcuV5rmA4

Then 12 years later they still hadn't fixed that part of the track... Also the guy walks out the front of the car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtID4k3UBw

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 18, 2020

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Going over the wall is one of those things that seems terrifying at first, but when you consider that there’s no sudden impact with the wall & there’s no cars to run into you while you’re tumbling, it’s a lot safer than it seems. ...well, for the driver at least.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't mean to be morbid but "walks away" is no guarantee right now

I think we're looking at either a Robert Wickens or Sam Schmidt scenario for Newman. I'd be shocked if it was anything else.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Yeah the vibe I got last night was 'He's alive, but..'

Fingers crossed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Yeah the vibe I got last night was 'He's alive, but..'

Fingers crossed.

Yeah I got a vibe of he's not gunna die, but things aren't great

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

iospace posted:

The ones that are tame looking tend to be the most dangerous. Dale hit the wall at pretty much full speed in the pre-HANS, pre-SAFER era. It's possible that either one of those things (as well as him not loosening his seatbelts on the last lap) saves his life, especially HANS.

Cars going airborne, while bad and can end up like this today, usually are "good" in so far that a lot of speed gets scrubbed off mid-air, meaning the impact tends to be lessened. It means gently caress all if someone hits you at 200 MPH because they have no time to react though.

Yeah, cars getting into the air is dangerous for drivers mostly because they can hit things that weren't designed to be hit with parts of the car that weren't designed to take a hard impact (and of course there's the risk of other people getting hurt when cars and/or parts end up in places they shouldn't be). And in an open-wheel car, leaving the ground is really, really bad, since the driver's head is exposed and doesn't even have the protection of a roll cage. A car just flipping or rolling on its own without getting hit or hitting other stuff is generally safer for the driver than a sudden hard impact, though. Similarly, whole sections of the car being crushed or flying off is actually better for the driver as long as the safety cage remains intact, as all of that dissipates energy and reduces the maximum G-forces that the driver experiences. It's when you hit the wall at an acute angle with some part of the car that has little or no crumple zone, causing the driver's body to go from 150+ MPH to almost zero in a fraction of a second, that really bad things happen, even though the car doesn't look as torn-up and the hit didn't look "spectacular".

Newman's wreck here was a worst-case scenario; he was hit very hard directly in the roof right above the window net on the driver's side by another car. The cars today are designed with reinforced roll cages to prevent the roof from collapsing entirely in an impact, which were implemented after Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s crash at Talladega in 1996 where his car was struck in the front roof section while on its side (and after Russell Phillips was killed in a Sportsman race at Charlotte the same year in a :nms: roof-impact crash), but there's only so much that you can do to strengthen the cage, and Newman's was just hit at the worst possible spot. It's a miracle that he survived that hit, really, and I hope he's going to be able to recover.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Something I noticed - on Friday night, Ty Majeski flipped on his roof and they spent quite a while talking to him, and many minutes to slowly turn the truck back over.

Last night, they had Newman's car back on its wheels very, very quickly. Honestly don't know how to read that - if anything - but it was curious.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Something I noticed - on Friday night, Ty Majeski flipped on his roof and they spent quite a while talking to him, and many minutes to slowly turn the truck back over.

Last night, they had Newman's car back on its wheels very, very quickly. Honestly don't know how to read that - if anything - but it was curious.

Not an EMT but, Newman could have been unconscious or something which expedited things on the track. Majeski was probably alert and talking and indicating he was fine and not injured so they took their time getting him upright.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CactusWeasle posted:

Majeski got the window net down, meaning he was OK.

Newman's driver side window was pinned against the ground.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CactusWeasle posted:

Well considering Newman has serious injuries. He was probably both not conscious and probably visibly injured to the medical staff. So no time to waste getting him out of the car and getting treatment started.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'd imagine if his roll cage was compromised they'd want to get it upright to prevent the car collapsing any further onto Newman.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/1229765001365348352

You can see the digital dashboard inside and, not that it necessarily mattered at that point, but it looks like the window net is down/missing. :stonk:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

iwentdoodie posted:

Dude has made his career out of throwing lovely blocks, and has never showed an ounce of remorse or given a poo poo no matter what happens. The times I've met him he was an absolute cock even to his fans.

Like I'm not hoping he died, but poo poo like that is the eventual result of racing like that and not once being punished for it.

Still thinking bout this post

To actually contribute, it is still amazing that Newman survived this crash at all. That is almost always going to be the weakest part of the car, excluding the windshield. How do you reinforce further something you have to be able to climb out of quickly without loving up the center of gravity?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 18, 2020

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The very fact the words 'non-life-threathening' are being used at all boggles the mind.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

glyph posted:

Holy poo poo, how did the fuel from Newman's car not light?

I don't watch a lot of races, so question for the regulars- when there's fuel pouring out of a crashed car right next to a flame, does the director always cue up the shot that's zooming IN?

Because holy poo poo, the pit in my stomach from watching that closing shot, clutching my 3 year old I brought out to watch the last two laps of some vroom vroom race cars before bed...

Was that fuel or something else? The reason I ask is it was my understanding the fuel cells have been redesigned over the years so that they're pretty bulletproof.

My dad wondered if it might've been radiator fluid when the car (thank gently caress) didn't explode after a few seconds.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It had to be fuel, the only other thing in the car that would flow like that is the water for the radiator.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
It was definitely fuel, it just didn’t aerosolize and explode

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've never seen a director do a sudden close zoom like that on leaking fuel.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Me neither, it made it feel like the safety crew was slow getting there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big nipples big life posted:

Me neither, it made it feel like the safety crew was slow getting there.

Same. Thankfully, high octane, liquid gasoline is not that prone to ignition (as THM pointed out), but in the context of everything, it was "OH gently caress HURRY".

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Was listening to the local sports channel this morning and the guys made the point that today we are going to hear lots of informed stick and ball talking heads talk about "does auto racing need to end?"

ugh

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Big Huski Boi posted:

I've never seen a director do a sudden close zoom like that on leaking fuel.

Yeah that was a ‘why the gently caress are we zooming in’ moment.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

hunnert car pileup posted:

Probably Jimmy Horton at Talladega. Dude walked away pretty much unhurt

that was a rare crash that looked horrific but was funny in the end. loving car flips over the wall and the first responder is a guy without a shirt holding a beer going "y'all alright??"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that crash is instructive because Horton was fine but Stanley Smith, who "just" took a head-on hit into T1 was nearly killed- the first safety worker on the scene clearly saw some bad poo poo because he's borderline panicking looking into the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that crash is instructive because Horton was fine but Stanley Smith, who "just" took a head-on hit into T1 was nearly killed- the first safety worker on the scene clearly saw some bad poo poo because he's borderline panicking looking into the car.

I remember the guy who crashed with JD McDuffie said the scene inside the car was so bad he had to close his eyes.