Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I still hate Harley’s modern costume. Yeah, the old is still channeling comic guy horny, but at least it was coherent and thematic. And honestly the fact someone felt it had to be MORE horny and show off her rear end and cleavage is just sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CYBEReris posted:

i've been finding it pretty obnoxious with the edginess but also genuinely funny. i love bane.

I've only seen a few clips of it, but I love that they've blended Classic Bane with Nolan Bane a little with the voice and intellect :allears:.

Also I have a general weak spot for "Superheroes/villains doing normal things" humour.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 18, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I still hate Harley’s modern costume. Yeah, the old is still channeling comic guy horny, but at least it was coherent and thematic. And honestly the fact someone felt it had to be MORE horny and show off her rear end and cleavage is just sad.

I agree it ain't great, but the new show does have one of the best—and not coincidentally least sexualized—versions of Ivy that I've ever seen. It's just ivy print yoga pants with a leather jacket and the design pairs very well with the wry deadpan of Lake Bell's outstanding VO.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pants Donkey posted:

One thing that’s not immediately apparent about Birds of Prey but becomes unavoidable once you notice it: Harley’s shorts/pants are actually realistic. Like, even her shortest shorts in BoP are things that fit like shorts someone would actually wear. I mean, they’re still outrageous and all, but it’s not the insane stripper shorts she wore in Suicide Squad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And her outfit in the climax is probably the least stripperiffic thing she wears all movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Asuron posted:

Especially Timm who as other’s have mentioned writes really gross material.

I remember watching the Killing Joke in the cinema when it went on that limited run and I have never before or since heard a crowd boo a scene like they did the Batgirl sex scene.

I also find it really gross that he decided to make the Joker sexually active instead of being asexual. I really did not need to know that the Joker tracks down prostitutes first thing he does every time he escapes prison Timm and I certainly didn’t need the image

Timm has always been super horny, but especially for Batgirl. (Dini tends to be the same for Zatana, but it doesn't come up as much.)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The fact that Zatana is basically his real-life wife is something of a mitigating factor but yeah, most artists are super horny and need a good editor or collaborator to help them keep that poo poo in check.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mokinokaro posted:

And her outfit in the climax is probably the least stripperiffic thing she wears all movie.

The one piece of clothing Harley wears in BoP I question is the clear jacket with tassels. I just do t get it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

The one piece of clothing Harley wears in BoP I question is the clear jacket with tassels. I just do t get it.

It's like she's wearing a really ugly raincoat. Wasn't a fan of that one either.

I do absolutely love the Harley Quinn branded t-shirt she wears for most of it. That's the exact kind of silliness that suits her character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mad Love is still an excellent story but it's really the turning point for Harley's character. The rehabilitation of Harley Quinn following the events of Mad Love is something I do approve of, but it's hampered by comic book artists being horny buggers and loads of writers failing to do anything with Harley that isn't "sexy clown waifu." It's actually shocking how much I've enjoyed the Harley Quinn show because its so irreverent but it has managed to hit on how difficult her life has been in a way that few stories have ever really delved into.

same. i like that they are trying to turn her into her own villian/anti hero type thing. as much as i like tragic gun moll quinn, positive change is always good.

Pants Donkey posted:

personally i have never liked skin bleached harley, but thats just me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the harley quinn show is one of the most tryhard and boring things I watched in a long time, not even touching the dumb faux-woke poo poo like 'lol harley's so cool she hates billionaires' mixed in with 'also we made the penguin, the short, hook nosed, money obsessed, villain who buys elections and companies and poo poo, not just canonically Jewish now for no reason but also have him giving big bags of cash as bar mitzvah party favors' which considering how super Jewish Harley has been coded over the years is fuckin hilariously tone deaf.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It bugs the poo poo out of me when people give all of the credit for the DCAU to Dini and Timm.
And not even Dwayne, Andrea Romano is one of the biggest reasons why the DCAU was great. Like the voice casting from BTAS to JLU is insane

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

sexpig by night posted:

the harley quinn show is one of the most tryhard and boring things I watched in a long time, not even touching the dumb faux-woke poo poo like 'lol harley's so cool she hates billionaires' mixed in with 'also we made the penguin, the short, hook nosed, money obsessed, villain who buys elections and companies and poo poo, not just canonically Jewish now for no reason but also have him giving big bags of cash as bar mitzvah party favors' which considering how super Jewish Harley has been coded over the years is fuckin hilariously tone deaf.

Wait, they made Penguin Jewish? The Penguin? AKA Oswald Cobblepot, a character whose origin has always revolved around his WASP background? (Motherfucker wore a top hat and monocle in the Silver Age.)

Also, I don’t know if we can call Harley’s coding Jewish as much as it was generic East Coast gangster moll (which has a lot of overlap with the East Coast JAP, but is clearly distinct). She was a lot more Lorraine Brocco than Fran Drescher.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, she is explicitly Jewish in the show.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Harley has always been Jewish.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I watched the first few episodes of Harley Quinn and thought it was alright, but that Penguin thing just made me lose interest in it.

Anyway, unlike fine wine, Catherine has not aged well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rL0vQCsfQ

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New Kyoto Video on Interstella 5555!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUSYHSP14s

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Static Shock was great because it was based on a Milestone comic called Static, and Milestone was a black-focused comic company started by Dwayne McDuffie, Denys Cowan, Michael Davis and Derek Dingle. Milestone eventually got bought/folded in to DC and they've done dick all of worth with the characters since then.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Wait, they made Penguin Jewish? The Penguin? AKA Oswald Cobblepot, a character whose origin has always revolved around his WASP background? (Motherfucker wore a top hat and monocle in the Silver Age.)

Also, I don’t know if we can call Harley’s coding Jewish as much as it was generic East Coast gangster moll (which has a lot of overlap with the East Coast JAP, but is clearly distinct). She was a lot more Lorraine Brocco than Fran Drescher.

This will not excuse it but apparently the writing room for the show is majority Jewish, so that might show in the writing for the show. Again, does not excuse it, so much as show they should maybe be more careful with how they write those characters in a way that doesn’t veer extremely close to stereotypes, and there is one other joke in the show that did make me go come on ya’ll (something involving Sky and Black Lightning I cant remember the full context)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
NakeyJakey talks about the history of dating shows and their descent into trash.

https://youtu.be/cn4mueJ9wHs

I used to watch Room Raiders semi-regularly, so finding out it was scripted surprised me a little, but then again, of course it was!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Solitair posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Harley Quinn and thought it was alright, but that Penguin thing just made me lose interest in it.

Anyway, unlike fine wine, Catherine has not aged well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rL0vQCsfQ

Its neat that this guy actually acknowledges that the game is a product of Japanese culture so he might interpret it differently than was intended. Its kind of interesting, but his take is pretty much a 180 from what I normally hear about the game (Though not the Rin part). Like to contrast, here's another analysis that showers the game with praise on a lot of the things that get critiqued in your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nt31z5HJI

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cartoons123 posted:

This will not excuse it but apparently the writing room for the show is majority Jewish, so that might show in the writing for the show. Again, does not excuse it, so much as show they should maybe be more careful with how they write those characters in a way that doesn’t veer extremely close to stereotypes, and there is one other joke in the show that did make me go come on ya’ll (something involving Sky and Black Lightning I cant remember the full context)

Ivy's landlord (played by Jason Alexander) believes Ivy is dead and plans to commit insurance fraud on her place (as he puts it "Israeli Lightning.") Clayface overhears this and, since he's not the brightest in the show, asks if that's Black Lightning's cousin.

Despite the Jewish writers, the show definitely goes overboard with the Jew jokes. I don't think they intended the bar mitzvah stuff to be coded that way (the money bags seemed tied more into the pretend heist they had planned for his son) but it is also very easy to read it that way. Also, Mrs. Cobblepot is a very stereotypical New Jersey Jewish housewife in the show.

Like considering there is a ton of Jewish representation in the show overall, I'd lean towards the jokes intending to be self-deprecating but it doesn't always work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't think there's anyone in the room actually 'hah, LIKE THE FUCKIN JEWS, AM I RIGHT GUYS?' or whatever but that doesn't change that boy does it feel weird to me as a nerdy Jew to see the iconic shitbird WASP social climber Penguin turn Jewish basically just for a really corny 'my nephew wants an outlandish gift for his bar mitzvah' setup. Especially when 'birthday' or 'christmas' or even if you wanna go full cartoon WASP brat something fake and dumb like 'his half birthday party' or 'he didn't get suspended all week so we're celebrating' are right there.

To be honest if the show itself didn't feel like Family Guy in the DCU I'd probably be less weirded out by it but welp.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Archer666 posted:

Its neat that this guy actually acknowledges that the game is a product of Japanese culture so he might interpret it differently than was intended. Its kind of interesting, but his take is pretty much a 180 from what I normally hear about the game (Though not the Rin part). Like to contrast, here's another analysis that showers the game with praise on a lot of the things that get critiqued in your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0nt31z5HJI
Having just watched both of these videos I don't see them as being in conflict. BG focuses primarily on what Catherine has to say to its intended audience, and to be honest I don't think their video really contains much critique of the game but is rather a primer on its story and the cultural background for its symbolism - Curio's video isn't so interested in Catherine's intended audience and the messages the game has to tell them about living in modern Japan, it's more interested in the cultural baggage Catherine brings with its message. Where BG enthuses about how C & K are both succinct symbolic female archetypes for herbivore men, Curio sees them both as damaging stereotypes presented in a false dichotomy - but both are correct, and the former critiques the game on its ability to talk to its audience, while the latter critiques it on how it represents women by the way it talks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To me the jokes in Harley Quinn definitely come across like Jews poking fun of Jews, I don’t think it’s an issue.

I don’t see the Family Guy comparison at all. Like, they’re both R-rated comedies I guess?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Augus posted:

I don’t see the Family Guy comparison at all. Like, they’re both R-rated comedies I guess?

what if cartoon but character say naughty word

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mostly watch the show for Bane and the new best ship Ivy/Kite Man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

watho posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't that just fansubbing?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yea and it owns

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

watho posted:

That reminds me of a strip I saw a while back:

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1182465439760293888

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

eternal classic tbh

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mostly watch the show for Bane and the new best ship Ivy/Kite Man.

Like on one hand Im a huge Harley/Ivy shipper so it's like...this whole show needs to be WAY gayer and it's perfect.

On the other hand, given my experience with men, Ivy falling for Kite Man makes sense. There is something appealing about obviously misplaced confidence.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Scanlating too, the mangastream translation of Bleach was uh... a thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

Like on one hand Im a huge Harley/Ivy shipper so it's like...this whole show needs to be WAY gayer and it's perfect.

The creators basically said it wouldn't feel right at all for Harley to hook up with Ivy right after dumping Joker. It'd seem like Harley was only using Ivy to fill the void.

I get the feeling they might build to it eventually, but they want it to feel earned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

The creators basically said it wouldn't feel right at all for Harley to hook up with Ivy right after dumping Joker. It'd seem like Harley was only using Ivy to fill the void.

I get the feeling they might build to it eventually, but they want it to feel earned.

that's dumb, they can just write it so it's not that, she's not an actual person who you can't control. Just make them gay you cowards.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

that's dumb, they can just write it so it's not that, she's not an actual person who you can't control. Just make them gay you cowards.

I saw snippets of an interview that was all but explicitly stating that's what they are doing season 2.

E: I will find those snippets I should have had them prepared before posting

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I guess it was part of an AMA, not quite an interview.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that kind of sucks for Kite Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now discorvering that some people call bad cartoons Family Guys like some people call all sodas Coke or your mom calls every console a Nintendo and I Do Not Like It.