Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Are you ready for even more micahcharts?

Do you love watching forums poster Rex post near endless paragraphs about fancystats?

Ready to watch Tradecenter Traedcenter immediately devolve into awful skits to kill time while nothing happens because everyone is already up against the cap?

Ready to crash capfriendly?

Excited to turn SAS into HFBoards?

Pumped up to overreact to AHL level trades???

Ready for some barn fights?

:toot: WELL CONGRATULATIONS BECAUSE TRADE DEADLINE TIME IS HERE. :woop:

HELPFUL THINGS AT CAPFRIENDLY
Buyout calculator
Trade proposal simulator

FANCY STATS
Micah Blake McCurdy's "Hockeyviz" site
Sean Tierney's "Charting Hockey"

How's your team going to end up?

AND REMEMBER:

modnote: In keeping with the tradition of the trade deadline being a big dumb event where even the TV networks mostly just gently caress around, this thread is treated as a GDT.

E: :siren: TRADE/SIGNING TRACKERRRRRRR :siren:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1229812756070780929

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1229848756121743360

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1229869445096538112

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1229873146469191682

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1230160289695440896

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1230216060114210817

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1230296194036965377

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1230331609792028673

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1230554135784804352

https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/1230575856814362625?s=19

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who for a First, What for a Second, I Don't Know for a Third.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Chuck Fletcher is going to do absolutely nothing.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are going to trade for Darren Helm, I feel it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Truth told I'm kinda fine with that, if only because it seems like Nolan Patrick is starting to re-emerge from the dead and I'm not really sure making any splashy move does much because they're gonna have to give someone up. They need another center in the worst way if he can't make it, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I am announcing we have traded Hand Knit to GWS for a bag of coffee beans.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I am announcing we have traded Hand Knit to GWS for a bag of coffee beans.

and an IK to be named later.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DJExile posted:

and an IK to be named later.

Sorry we're promoting from within and Austrian Mook is mod now.

Good luck everybody!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I don't know much about Julien Gauthier, what's the deal?

Joey Keane has been excellent in his first pro year and is a good skating puck moving D who probably will have less offense at the NHL level than in the AHL, but still looks like a solid D prospect but plays a side where the Rangers are currently stacked.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Trade deadline is Feb 24 at 1500, for anyone wondering.

I feel like my team is bad and needs a lot more depth to compete but they're first in the West after losing like the first ten of the season and losing their drunk coach mid season so :iiam:

Oh, right, bishop. I'm sure his hips won't blow up this year!

E: also the West is poo poo this year.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 18, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mentholmoose posted:

Flyers are basically capped out, what can they do?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Flyers are basically capped out, what can they do?

There have been a lot of rumors they're shopping Ghost Bear but that's been about it. The hard thing is so much of it depends on whether or not Patrick can play again this year because they need a 3rd center. I'm not really sure who out there would make sense for the money though.

E: They can obviously move Giroux back but he's so much better on the wing now.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 18, 2020

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yeah there's not much they could actually do. Maybe trade Hagg or Ghost and a couple picks for a defensive upgrade.

And they do need another center, but there's a solid chance that ends up being Frost or Patrick.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd like to think the CBJ's Deadline would be somewhat interesting, but Jarmo's hands are tied with a bunch of the team, including potential trade chips, dead, thus affecting depth pieces who might otherwise be moved.

Ever wondered reaction what HF-style trades would get from actual NHL team employees? Now, you can find out!

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1229758401258885121

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Athletic has already hit the point where they're asking followers for content they can charge for huh?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TRADES! TRADES! TRADES!!!

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1229848756121743360

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

i dont know much about DeMelo but that's a nice chart and his last name isn't Sbisa so I'm happy with it

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

How many Sens are left from the Cab Ride?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
do you think we'll see his brother on the move, Dylan DeHarsh?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Who is this

e: Oh there we go. They do need defensive help. Orlov and Carlson have the offensive touch spoken for already.

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1229870746194890752

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

He used to play for the Stars, IIRC.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

CBJSprague24 posted:

He used to play for the Stars, IIRC.

Correct.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1229873146469191682

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1229874281263157248

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 18, 2020

stab
Feb 12, 2003

YES BERGEVIN MORE TRADES LIKE THIS PLZ

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I kept loving saying we didn’t get enough of a return in that trade! Didn’t he trade Evander Kane for like a third or something? loving Botterill is such a piece of poo poo. gently caress!

Expect more posts like this one

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
HI REX HERE WITH DUMB WORDS FROM REX! I like writing about this stuff and so far we've had some quality movement already. Hopefully going to work through this as the night wears on, but teams are outpacing me already. That said HERE WE GO:

Definitely Sellers: Detroit – Ottawa – New Jersey – NY Rangers – Los Angeles – Anaheim
Should Be Selling, but might not because we're delusional: Montreal – Buffalo – San Jose – Chicago
Not a Seller or Buyer but should make a 'smart move' however probably won't: Also Buffalo – Florida – Minnesota – Winnipeg

Team Breakdown
The Ottawa Firesale – If it isn't nailed down it's for sale. The nails are also for sale. Raising the question Can you have too many picks for a single draft?

We all know the story here so lets just get to it
Pending UFAs: Boedker, Namestnikov, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Tyler Ennis, Ron Hainsey, Borowiecki
Floater: Artem Anisimov

DeMelo – Just traded for a 3rd. This is a huge lol for me. He leads the Sens in nearly every 'fancy' category. Winnipeg has maybe 'Decent' NHL defensemen right now so it is a great pick up for them. They will also likely have the cap to sign him.

Notables: JSP & Ennis – JSP has a 40% Offensive zone split and leads Ottawa in points. Positive splits in all the categories I look for. 2nd best player on Ottawa for controlled exits and 5th best for entries. Excellent pickup that will add significant depth. Probably costs a fortune.

The Ottawa Firesale – If it isn't nailed down it's for sale. The nails are also for sale. Raising the question Can you have too many picks for a single draft?
UFAs: Boedker, JSP, Namestnikov, Ennis, Hainsey, Borowiecki
2 Years Left: Artem Anisimov

Notables: JSP & Ennis
JSP – Drives play. Great splits with shots/chances while being buried in the defensive zone. 36 points with only 8 of them coming on the PP...3 shorthanded goals and 1 shorty assist. Excellent pick up and one of the best available UFA forwards available.
Tyler Ennis – 31 points for 800k. 2nd best player on Ottawa at zone entries. Point total a bit more inflated by Powerplay, but for 800k and solid all around contributions could be a sneaky helpful pick for a lot of teams.
Demelo – Great pick up for Winnipeg. Even better if they resign him. Would have helped a lot of 'contending' teams.

Edit: To Come - Det, NJ, and NYR

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Other than Pageau, or Namestnikov are any of those guys worth it?

Also is this s good draft to just have like 12-15 picks for?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Chad Sexington posted:

e: Oh there we go. They do need defensive help. Orlov and Carlson have the offensive touch spoken for already.

I don't think it's been really a personnel problem so I kind of don't get this.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bob says Martinez likely to Vegas.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

z0331 posted:

I don't think it's been really a personnel problem so I kind of don't get this.

I was going to partially disagree with you, but then I looked at the Micah charts and the Caps D is one giant angry red blob in front of the net. Certainly looks like systems, though on the eye test I have a hard time seeing much to like about a dude like Jensen.

Interestingly, the lone exception is not Norris contender John Carlson but... Jonas Siegenthaler.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would appreciate the Oilers trading for Eric Gustafson I guess

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm vaguely uncertain about the Rangers...they in theory could make a run for the playoffs but it'd take a massive push and is unlikely, but it also feels like a tough sell to be sellers at the deadline when you're in that "could do it!" spot

That said...I think they ultimately will have to be and it kinda sucks since if you squint you can see that they've been playing a bit better and could be in the hunt but for a few bad games here and there.

Kreider is their biggest asset and in many ways it'd be awesome if they could keep him because of what he brings beyond scoring...his speed in the offensive zone is an aspect that isn't talked about that much and let's him pressure D and other players much quicker than they're expecting. He's big and works the boards well, he's excellent in front of the net screening and deflecting shots, he's just a very good player but if you keep him you gotta know you're going to eat some painful years down the line and depending on the return it's probably better to sell. I just don't want it to be one of those things where they manage to get a late 1st and a B prospect who turns out to be nothing and the first is some borderline guy. At that point gently caress it shoulda kept him.

Fast also might be going...he's been a good glue type player who forechecks and retrieves pucks well, responsible defensively, but his offense comes and goes and he's just not that skilled overall for where he ends up playing and he's going to want enough of a raise that it may make more sense to trade him for a 2nd or something.

Georgiev is the other big piece available...it seems silly to be ready to trade this guy as he's showing he is ready to be a starter and his "replacement" is Shesterkin who only has what 6 games in the NHL? But Shesterkin is the real deal and has more upside IMO. Georgiev is quite good though and any team out there looking for a goaltending upgrade should be looking at him hard, but it doesn't sound like the Rangers want to just give him away for free.

The other wrinkle in all of this is Lundqvist..who has essentially been relegated to the backup role now. It's possible the Rangers buy him out this offseason even, but even though he was on board with the rebuild and knew this changing of the guard was coming, he might end up deciding he wants to be traded and if so, is there anyone out there that wants to take a chance on him for a playoff run? If you want to buy him out, do you decide to keep Kreider with the cap space you've bought yourself?

Vague trade possibilities include Strome (I kind of doubt since he'll still be a RFA and they can kick that can down the road another year or so) and DeAngelo (also doubt since when you have a guy who's gonna score 60+ points from the blueline you find a way to keep him, not trade him...you deal with the Fox or DeAngelo question further down the road). Buchnevich is also a maybe...but I think they trade Kreider OR Buchnevich, not both, since trading both leaves you pretty thin on the wings. Buch seems like the kind of top six forward you can re-sign for not toooo much and while he can be inconsistent at times is a solid player and may be worth more to you on your team than trading for a weak return.

Out there possibility may be Skjei but I think they don't want to take that hit to their LD at the moment...in the future someone like Miller might come in and shore up that side but currently the depth is Skjei, Staal, and Lindgren, so making it weaker isn't a great move at the moment. But if someone offers a decent return maybe you roll the dice and fill that spot later...
e: They do have Hajek and Rykov in Hartford who will both again push for a spot on LD this year or next. Rykov has had some injury issues which has slowed his possible transition to the NHL but he's an intriguing player...he has some really nice mobility (good hip movement) but is probably just average at actual skating speed, has good skill sbut likely wont' put up a ton of points, but is big and can use his body and might be that "2 way" defenseman who's big and fits into the top 4 well.
Hajek has a lot of tools but looks like he hasn't quite figured out how to play at the NHL level. He skates really well and can move the puck but can't protect himself for poo poo.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 18, 2020

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Other than Pageau, or Namestnikov are any of those guys worth it?

Also is this s good draft to just have like 12-15 picks for?

Ennis would be an awesome depth pickup for pretty much everyone in my insanely uninformed opinion. For 800k or 400k retained there is an insane amount of utility there. 31 points in 15 minutes a night is great return and he's had multiple 40 pt seasons. I do not rate Namestnikov at all. Awful Corsi and Corsi Rel, 3rd worst shots for split on Ott, he ranks 15th for shot creation/takes, 17th for entries AND zone exits, he has a 35% goals for split....which is 10 points lower than his 'expected' 45%. DeMelo, JSP, and Ennis are the only 'upgrades' Ottawa has. Mike Reilly *maybe*, but that's quite risky....however so far we've seen teams trying to get quality cost controlled players so I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't really get Namestnikov. He seems like he should have all the skills to be a decent player. Good speed, decent shot and stick handling, nothing great but at the least a decent 3rd line player, but he somehow feels like he self sabatoges and just doesn't make the right plays

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

Kreider is their biggest asset and in many ways it'd be awesome if they could keep him because of what he brings beyond scoring...his speed in the offensive zone is an aspect that isn't talked about that much and let's him pressure D and other players much quicker than they're expecting. He's big and works the boards well, he's excellent in front of the net screening and deflecting shots, he's just a very good player but if you keep him you gotta know you're going to eat some painful years down the line and depending on the return it's probably better to sell.

He's also a huge shithead, which makes him even more valuable in the playoffs when the DOPS goes on vacation for the summer

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's also a huge shithead, which makes him even more valuable in the playoffs when the DOPS goes on vacation for the summer

gently caress CHRIS KREIDER

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

He honestly is not that big of a poo poo head because when he vaguely played like a poo poo head he got pile driven into the ground by the refs and stopped playing that way. He's pretty clean these days and doesn't throw many sketchy checks because he knows he'll just thrown out of the game for it.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I hope my best friend Pageau goes to a team I don't hate

I also hope he doesn't end up on the Ottawa Senators

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Chad Sexington posted:

Who is this

Strong as gently caress defensive defenseman. Fan favorite type. Big, mean, first to join a scrum and will drop the gloves in a pinch. Skates better than you'd expect (it's been a focus for him since coming over from the Stars) and can carry the puck through the zones, but typically he was relegated to passing to Burns or Karlsson and letting them advance the puck or attempt [stupid loving] homerun passes. Also spent time on shutdown lines with Vlasic and other defensive D.

For what it's worth, when Karlsson was at a PPG pace and playing at his best last year, he and Dillon were joined at the hip. They were one of the best D-pairings in the league before Karlsson hurt his groin.

Absolutely zero offense. Can't get the puck through from the point, doesn't make timely pinches like Vlasic does occasionally, just nothing. But that's why he's a #4 and not a #1 or #2.

He's at his best defending along the corner boards, one hand on the stick to prevent the cutback move and the second hand to shove the forward right to the loving floor. He loves doing that and I guarantee you will see it in his first game as a Cap. He's also got excellent flow, and he did this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFx7_ijZyts

Committed murder against Yanni Gourde a few weeks ago, dude looked like he got shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8Q9luHhqI

Don't admire your pass kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufDSfF_yzM

I could watch these all day. He's a great locker room guy by all accounts and has won team awards for his community service. You got a gem there.

Keith Mars fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I would appreciate the Oilers trading for Eric Gustafson I guess

Oilers trading for a guy they originally drafted but who never played for them seems like peak Oilers.