Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

precision posted:

I've really come around on Caustic, I love playing him now. I never disliked playing him but now I'm all in on team Fartman.

Roses are red
Red attracts bulls
The rabbit's cries bring the wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Songbearer posted:

The butterfly effect only the butterfly is a fat farting guy in a gas mask

Fart Scientist and Non-Binary Bird Person are the best.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Manxome Foe posted:

Fart Scientist and Non-Binary Bird Person are the best.

EN GUFER, the fight honors me!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Struggling this season. Grabbed a pen and paper and took notes on last night's session. 60% of my squadmates last night died before doing 200 damage. I was the damage leader on the squad 84% of the time. My k/d for the evening was .75. My average damage per game was 553. We lost to the first squad we fought 80% of the time.

There were a couple of games where it didn't show me my third squadmate's stats, but they were "drop and die" players so I'm confident these are relatively real numbers.

SBMM has totally failed, matchmaking totally failed. Don't know wtf is going on here but this is the least fun I've had with the game since launch, and that includes grinding on the Season 1 BP.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If you play on PC, play with me sometime (LoonRancid). I can't promise gold, but I can offer better than what it sounds like you've been getting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nah I'm on PS4. Thanks though. I seriously don't understand what's happening here, I went from a fair feeling game with a good mix of rando skills that I could play decently in to an absolute frustrating poo poo show with deathball squads that laser me and my oafish teammates down instantly and where I'm constantly in 1v3s. It's like they flipped a switch at the start of Season 4.

I've identified a couple of things that have changed which are making it much more difficult:

1) Squads working together a ton more, playing "butts to nuts" and push real hard as a unit. I am pretty sure that they've completely abandoned the "pre-mades vs randos" aspect of matchmaking
2) Players on my team who commit suicide by YOLOing at enemy squad first thing or who wander off and get caught completely unaware and die before doing anything thus putting us immediately into 2v3 and feeding back into point #1 where you get immediately rushed and killed. These two factors interacting are causing a lot of frustration for me.
3) Teammates insisting on dropping the Train, the Train Yard, or between Fragment West or East, which are literal honeypots for mediocre players that will get them killed

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 18, 2020

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

At least on US east coast servers on PC there's been tons of desync the past couple of days. It turns about half of the matches into a complete shitshow. My buddy and I had to join a Brit goon last night just to have actually consistently playable games. I noticed on Sunday that my ping to the Virginia servers went from 29-30ms to 27-29ms and that's when this all started happening.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just assume if i don't 1v3 every fight i'm losing that game

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

dogstile posted:

Yeah, I’m also feeling that.

My two friends I play with (and definitely myself as well) have fallen way behind the average skill curve and I’ve just been unable to finish off my kills.

Really frustrating when I end with like 1.5k damage and 2 kills and they have 400 combined and no kills. And they’re real life friends so I can’t get mad at them, even if I’m frustrated at my silly shoot man game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean my honest feeling at this point is that I can either play with randos and near 90% of the time get put with absolute sacks of poo poo who offer no value beyond being bullet sponges or team up with friends and get matchmaked around our highest-skill player and dumped into the stomp queue to be nut-kicked by 20bomb sweaties. What an incredible system they've devised. Kudos to Respawn.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what i'm hearing is people should spend more time damaging knocked people, plinking enemies miles away, and not pressing broken armor so the enemy can recharge all to inflate their damage counter for end game retrospectives

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Finally, someone who gets it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nah I'm on PS4. Thanks though. I seriously don't understand what's happening here, I went from a fair feeling game with a good mix of rando skills that I could play decently in to an absolute frustrating poo poo show with deathball squads that laser me and my oafish teammates down instantly and where I'm constantly in 1v3s. It's like they flipped a switch at the start of Season 4.

I've identified a couple of things that have changed which are making it much more difficult:

1) Squads working together a ton more, playing "butts to nuts" and push real hard as a unit. I am pretty sure that they've completely abandoned the "pre-mades vs randos" aspect of matchmaking
2) Players on my team who commit suicide by YOLOing at enemy squad first thing or who wander off and get caught completely unaware and die before doing anything thus putting us immediately into 2v3 and feeding back into point #1 where you get immediately rushed and killed. These two factors interacting are causing a lot of frustration for me.
3) Teammates insisting on dropping the Train, the Train Yard, or between Fragment West or East, which are literal honeypots for mediocre players that will get them killed

I've been playing like dogshit for the last few days. I keep getting instakilled immediately when landing. I probably took too long of a break playing Star Wars.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Brs have always broken down to those two types of squads.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

At some point across a big enough sample size the only constant is 'you', mmj

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Struggling this season. Grabbed a pen and paper and took notes on last night's session. 60% of my squadmates last night died before doing 200 damage. I was the damage leader on the squad 84% of the time. My k/d for the evening was .75. My average damage per game was 553. We lost to the first squad we fought 80% of the time.

There were a couple of games where it didn't show me my third squadmate's stats, but they were "drop and die" players so I'm confident these are relatively real numbers.

SBMM has totally failed, matchmaking totally failed. Don't know wtf is going on here but this is the least fun I've had with the game since launch, and that includes grinding on the Season 1 BP.

You should really focus on your own mistakes and trying to just have fun. Making spreadsheets about how bad your randos are or getting worked up about an algorithm you can't possibly know the specifics of will only prevent you from ever enjoying the game.

With 20 teams in each game, you are going to be losing 95% of the time. The only way to overcome that is to get better and to play with friends that are at your skill level. Teamwork and coordination go a loooong way in Apex. I'm sure you know all this but it seems like the Reddit whining has poisoned your brain or something.

ParadeRainer
Jul 2, 2019

dogstile posted:

this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

At some point across a big enough sample size the only constant is 'you', mmj

Is "you constantly get matched with crummy teammates who are quantifiably worse than you in every way" supposed to be some kind of own?

Norton posted:

You should really focus on your own mistakes and trying to just have fun. Making spreadsheets about how bad your randos are or getting worked up about an algorithm you can't possibly know the specifics of will only prevent you from ever enjoying the game....I'm sure you know all this but it seems like the Reddit whining has poisoned your brain or something.

I literally made the spreadsheet to figure out if I had a negative mindset or if I was objectively having a poor play experience. It was a brain poison antidote, and now I can say that, at least for last night, the game constantly put me with bad players that were worse than me in every way and caused the majority of my play experiences to be "lose the first fight and have to either run away or just die immediately right then and there".

There's no amount of "focusing on my own mistakes" that I can do when every match is a 1v3 unless that mistake is "I don't have Apex Predator level aim skills and game sense". I don't have the skills or the talent to carry two other players and I'm not going to spend the majority of my free time doing aim drills until I maybe can (my reflexes will still be poo poo because of my age)

It's true that in an equal skill game, you'll lose 95% of your games. I don't expect to win anything close to even 10% of my games. But losing 80% of your very first fight of the match?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 18, 2020

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just chill.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Quit gettin' mad at video games.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 18, 2020

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Be a leaf on the wind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tokubetsu posted:

Be a leaf on the wind.

that dude got a spear through his chest and died.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

that dude got a spear through his chest and died.

he landed the ship though, against all odds

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Is "you constantly get matched with crummy teammates who are quantifiably worse than you in every way" supposed to be some kind of own?

I literally made the spreadsheet to figure out if I had a negative mindset or if I was objectively having a poor play experience. It was a brain poison antidote, and now I can say that, at least for last night, the game constantly put me with bad players that were worse than me in every way and caused the majority of my play experiences to be "lose the first fight and have to either run away or just die immediately right then and there".

There's no amount of "focusing on my own mistakes" that I can do when every match is a 1v3 unless that mistake is "I don't have Apex Predator level aim skills and game sense". I don't have the skills or the talent to carry two other players and I'm not going to spend the majority of my free time doing aim drills until I maybe can (my reflexes will still be poo poo because of my age)

It's true that in an equal skill game, you'll lose 95% of your games. I don't expect to win anything close to even 10% of my games. But losing 80% of your very first fight of the match?

You just had a bad night. I'm sure the guys that killed you thought the matchmaking was fine.

You said "SBMM has totally failed, matchmaking totally failed."... So getting bad teammates is evidence some nefarious system is rigging games against you? Why are you getting targeted by this failed algorithm and the teams that beat you are unaffected?

We are all playing the same game. I often do poorly solo as well, so I mostly just play when my buddy is on.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
:chillpill: You getting mad at video games isn't fun for you, or for anyone else on the receiving end of it. Just go and play something else dude.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Had a frustrating round earlier where me and my randos played really well and good teamwork, mostly camped on top of Shipping with my wattson shield eating multiple ults, but the last circle forced us to move into the last squad and they just wiped us out, in spite of a heroic effort from one teammate. Turns out all three of them were CLANNAME_username so that took some of the sting out. It's actually kind of surprising how infrequently I see obvious teams like that in game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

"I don't have Apex Predator level aim skills and game sense".

I used to play on pc, but after I switched to console last season, a constant view I try to hold is, no one on console is a true ace shot, especially now that they took away the ability to turn off auto aim, which I assume was to combat xim users. This is important because the auto aim used in apex slows down your aim as soon as it nears an enemy. If you've ever used the ability to turn it off, on reactivation it, you could almost perceive the bubble it places around targets. What this means then is that, at least on console, positioning is what wins battles, which gets to the second point in game sense.

You even thinking about positioning puts you above the average player. With Apex, the movement system and general map layout is so good, finding other paths to a target/fight is doable in a pinch. Usually just going up can win you a fight, but usually when I'm dying in positions I think I 'should' have won, it's other little factors like not healing/reloading before the fight, or maybe I'm not geared enough.

As far as aim/finishing kills goes, particulary in a 1v1, I get so zoned in on making my shot, I'll stop moving, I'll be accurate to a point, but at that point it's a dps race, and those are coin flips at best. So I don't so much focus on being super accurate but more as to practice strafing while shooting, which the game seems to reward by mitigating some of the recoil. Also if you haven't, I recommend playing with the advanced controls.

But other than that, if you're having lovely teammates, you have lovely teammates. Just try to take small wins from each round, maybe if you recognize they're lovely early, ignore them/use them for bait and play for placement aka hide. I don't drop with my squad unless it's a quick drop, I'll follow behind them and back them up if they're competent.

Forgot to ask, what character do you use in randoms?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 18, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

bushisms.txt posted:

Forgot to ask, what character do you use in randoms?

Bangalore because you can get the hell out when things go bad most of the time. Wraith if she's not available. Pathfinder if they're both chosen. All for same reasons: disengages.

Also been thinking about it and I'm just gonna leave the match when my two teammates inevitably go down early. I don't think it adds to your death counter if you aren't downed so it's a good way to just call it a wash and try again. Honestly on further reflection what's getting me down is the 10 minute struggle to stay alive afterwards, not the actual dudes failing. if they suck they suck, just quit and hopefully get something good again.

It is a shame I can't play with my friends list because of the way this game handles squad matchmaking, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 18, 2020

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
There are good and bad pubbies. I will drop and get wiped immediately then win the next match. It's what a BR is as a game type. There are entire days where I get consistently bad teammates then the next day will roll off a bunch of wins.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rad Valtar posted:

There are good and bad pubbies. I will drop and get wiped immediately then win the next match. It's what a BR is as a game type. There are entire days where I get consistently bad teammates then the next day will roll off a bunch of wins.

I literally said every one of my nights since Season 4 started has been a bad night, and I actually said "it's like they flipped a switch". Season 3 wasn't nearly as bad and I was actually a big booster for SBMM at the time as it had a very positive effect on my average game. I appreciate trying to cheer me up with "that's the name of the game, some nights are good and some are bad" but this is 2 straight weeks of very bad nights, I've never experienced anything like this.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

I literally said every one of my nights since Season 4 started has been a bad night, and I actually said "it's like they flipped a switch". Season 3 wasn't nearly as bad and I was actually a big booster for SBMM at the time as it had a very positive effect on my average game. I appreciate trying to cheer me up with "that's the name of the game, some nights are good and some are bad" but this is 2 straight weeks of very bad nights, I've never experienced anything like this.

They didn't flip a switch because I've had almost all good night's since Season 4. Your anecdotal evidence is just as reliable as mine.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rad Valtar posted:

They didn't flip a switch because I've had almost all good night's since Season 4. Your anecdotal evidence is just as reliable as mine.

....doesn't this imply that they did flip a switch? You just got the good end of it? Just saiyan.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
DIG UP

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Think you meant to write "SHUT" here, but sorry bud. I'm gonna post how I want to post and if it bothers you, there's always the Ignore list.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

....doesn't this imply that they did flip a switch? You just got the good end of it? Just saiyan.

Can you please explain how you think match making works because this doesn't make sense to me....

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Think you meant to write "SHUT" here, but sorry bud. I'm gonna post how I want to post and if it bothers you, there's always the Ignore list.

https://frinkiac.com/caption/S05E11/1314228

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Flip a switch on your posting and make it good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Norton posted:

Can you please explain how you think match making works because this doesn't make sense to me....

If there's a fixed player population and they change something in matchmaking to negatively impact a segment of the population, it will positively impact another segment because this is a zero sum game. As in, for your K/D and wins to go up, somebody else's has to drop.

Like for instance, let's say that they decided to stick me in Diamond. Well, this would be a very negative development for me, and a very positive development for Diamond players. Don't think this is too crazy of an assertion, but who knows at this point? We're in that phase where everybody has to get their dunks in.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, but what change are you positing that they've made? All of a sudden they're putting you in games way above your skill level? And also making sure your squads are all shitters and everyone else on the enemy squads is amazing? Because that isn't happening, dude. It's a pretty ridiculous thing to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sounds like you were tilted and playing badly. If the games were going badly you might've been doing 550 damage a round, but it wasn't the 550 damage each round that was going to get you the win