Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remake Claire just cussing up a storm in Steves face until he cries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Don't kill me: I don't think CV deserves a remake. It's too dour, and somehow despite coming after 2 and 3, is too old-school to be remade without being completely overhauled as an entirely different game. RE4 deserves the treatment a lot more.
My guess is that on the transition to Dreamcast Capcom had to keep things simple while they were learning the ropes, which is why CV feels like such a basic game that didn't add anything remotely new.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE 4 doesn't need a remake because it's not like they could improve it. Maybe give it nice graphics but they'd be too tempted to mess with other stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yes, please Capcom... Outside of higher res models, do not touch RE4.

It's still perfect :allears: I just beat it last night (first time on Switch) and can't wait to get all of the unlockables and finally 100% this game. Since owning it on 5 different platforms now, I've never really beaten EVERYTHING, since I kind of suck at Mercenaries. Hopefully this time, I'll triumph.

Onward and upward.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Claire "Fuuuck youuuu" Redfield falling in love with innocent puppy Steve would be:allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I never played Dino Crisis, but I want a dinosaur game in the RE Engine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im haunted by the person suggesting they remake RE4 by removing the action and making it a pure horror game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Code Veronica's my favorite one because I'm a freak and I would love to see it's weirdo gothic horror aesthetic in the brand new RE engine. I think it has a neat story that's just told really, really badly, but for me that's part of the charm. Every time Steve is on screen I'm in stitches. It's comedy gold, but I think the actual game itself is really fun. Claire's a great character and the two settings, the prison island and arctic base, are fun to explore.

It's a really rough game and I feel like smoothing all that poo poo out in a remake would be great. Just have it be more of a reimagining, and take some inspiration from the Darkside Chronicles version of the events, which completely retools Steve's character to be way less of a twat. Definitely change Alfred, tone down the (admittedly hysterical) Matrix inspired poo poo, and don't have Chris' half of the campaign involve retreading the same ground as Claire.

They most likely won't though, which is fine. Definitely interested to see where they go with RE8. I'm cool with a rural setting and werewolf inspired monsters. v:shobon:v

I dunno, it's Resident Evil, it's supposed to be stupid as poo poo. It's all about the execution.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
RE2make Claire would scare the poo poo out of Steve.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Don't kill me: I don't think CV deserves a remake. It's too dour, and somehow despite coming after 2 and 3, is too old-school to be remade without being completely overhauled as an entirely different game. RE4 deserves the treatment a lot more.
This is 100% an argument in favor of remaking CV. CV has a lot of unfulfilled potential, while RE4 is an almost perfectly executed version of the type of game it is. A remake of RE4 would basically just be improving graphics and a bit of polish, at the risk of making the game feel worse. Or, if they wanted to avoid having to compete with the original, they'd be encouraged to remake it in an entirely different direction. At which point, why not remake the one that won't draw unfavorable comparisons?

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, it's not like the whole 'crazy medieval theme-park castle' didn't work very well for RE4, so I'm not particularly opposed to that idea. I don't think that's the direction they want to take it, though. Since RE7, Capcom seems to be making a point of keeping the Resident Evil games a bit more down to earth than that.
I'm not sure I would actually classify the RE4 castle as theme park, it's more straight up video game fantasy. As opposed to a down to earth version of a theme park, where it's explicitly a theme park in-universe, completely with backstage areas and the awareness that it's some dude´s vision of an ideal society.

WaltherFeng posted:

Claire "Fuuuck youuuu" Redfield falling in love with innocent puppy Steve would be:allears:

Cardiovorax posted:

The ideal progression based on her remake characterization would be Claire checking him out early on, getting to know him, and then treating him like a worse version of Sherry for the rest of the game that she has to save because it's the right thing to do more than because she really feels like it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing I'd want out of a RE4 remake is more mercenaries maps which is probably a mode they'd just cut entirely

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd love to see an RE4 remake, entirely marketed as a straight remake, but actually just being an actual release for the Hookman version.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cardiovorax posted:

Claire @ an approaching zombie: gently caress YOU!

Steve:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The ideal progression based on her remake characterization would be Claire checking him out early on, getting to know him, and then treating him like a worse version of Sherry for the rest of the game that she has to save because it's the right thing to do more than because she really feels like it.

I feel like revamping Steve's character in the sort of loveable rogue-ish goofball dork archetype would be great, but actually give him some pathos with regards to his trust issues and stuff. Have them mutually start to have a little bit of a spark, but as the plot to CV goes, it gets snuffed out. Treating Steve as a joke in a hypothetical remake would get tired real fast because it'd be a very longwinded jab at the ribs of the players. "Eh? Eh? Steve was a dipshit in the original right?? See! We think so too!" Like ok yeah I get it I get it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I never Claire falling for Steve, just Steve crushing heavily on Claire. I thought Claire saw Steve as this huge goober with a ton of issues, and she was crushed that, unlike Sherry, she failed to keep Steve safe in the end.

Cardiovorax posted:

RE2make Claire would absolutely shoot Steve's zombiedad for him rather than wait to be rescued.

Her rage-fueled rampage throughout the island would also justify Alfred's paranoia that she got sent by some rival organization to destroy him. :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What if instead of remaking CVX, they actually end up remaking Survivor 2?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I never Claire falling for Steve, just Steve crushing heavily on Claire. I thought Claire saw Steve as this huge goober with a ton of issues, and she was crushed that, unlike Sherry, she failed to keep Steve safe in the end.

That's pretty much how the Darkside Chronicles retelling depicted it. A one sided crush on Steve's end yet Claire still mourned heavily over him.

Which is funny because Steve is more likeable in Darkside Chronicles too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Darkside Chronicles pretty much works as a CV 'remake' as it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure I would actually classify the RE4 castle as theme park, it's more straight up video game fantasy. As opposed to a down to earth version of a theme park, where it's explicitly a theme park in-universe, completely with backstage areas and the awareness that it's some dude´s vision of an ideal society.
Eh, I suppose. Point was more that the place is hilariously self-aware about how nonsensical it is and plays it to the hilt, like an entertainment ride rather than something you are supposed to see as a "this could be a real place" type situation as you get with the very Resident Evil-ish but also very real-feeling Baker swamp house.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Night10194 posted:

Darkside Chronicles pretty much works as a CV 'remake' as it is.

it's more fun and more coherent, and as said before Steve isn't even bad in it

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I really wish the Chronicles games got to be the RE4 clones of the previous games instead of the light gun games they are.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As far as light gun games go both DC games are pretty good. I love me some light gun games though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They were good when you could play them with an actual light gun...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Claire has a good heart and doesn't want to see anyone die" is entirely in line with her RE2 character (and especially her RE2make character.)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can anyone recommend a way for me to basically read/see the CV plot? I won't watch anything longer than an hour or two, I'll happily read something. I'm doing an entire-series playthrough and don't want to play Code Veronica. I tried it once before and didn't like it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

redreader posted:

Can anyone recommend a way for me to basically read/see the CV plot? I won't watch anything longer than an hour or two, I'll happily read something. I'm doing an entire-series playthrough and don't want to play Code Veronica. I tried it once before and didn't like it.
Here you go: https://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-Code-Veronica-X/

Just ignore the quasi-fanfic writing parts of it. It'll still show you everything the game has to offer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any specific tips or guides you'd all recommend for not sucking at Mercenaries in RE4? I know the general flow, played it a ton (though it's been a few years since I last played). I'm basically wondering if there are any non-obvious ways to cheese some of the level/character combos. I just want the handcannon asap.

As it stands, Hunk on the Docks is probably the easiest for me (and the title of my next homo-erotic romance novel). Hardest is maybe Wesker on the island, maybe the castle.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean just skip CV, they never meaningfully reference anything in it again. And they literally say parts of it are wrong and couldn't have happened.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mulva posted:

I mean just skip CV, they never meaningfully reference anything in it again. And they literally say parts of it are wrong and couldn't have happened.

Basically Wesker comes back with matrix powers and walks away with a sample of the virus.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Eh, I suppose. Point was more that the place is hilariously self-aware about how nonsensical it is and plays it to the hilt, like an entertainment ride rather than something you are supposed to see as a "this could be a real place" type situation as you get with the very Resident Evil-ish but also very real-feeling Baker swamp house.
I don't disagree with your characterization, but there's a massive gulf between that and a hypothetical "this guy spends all his dad´s money living in a fantasy world" theme park. The latter could be presented as seriously as the writers/designers wanted.

Mulva posted:

Theory: CV is the non-canon version of the real events, just like Chris' scenario in RE1 is just Chris having made up a scenario in his head where he's the hero.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't disagree with your characterization, but there's a massive gulf between that and a hypothetical "this guy spends all his dad´s money living in a fantasy world" theme park. The latter could be presented as seriously as the writers/designers wanted.
Oh yeah, sure. You could certainly do that. Personally, I'll have to that this kind of setting never really worked for me, though. Some people find empty and dilapidated amusement parts creepy, I just find them kind of sad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

redreader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcjxQBHXHE Try this maybe?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh yeah, sure. You could certainly do that. Personally, I'll have to that this kind of setting never really worked for me, though. Some people find empty and dilapidated amusement parts creepy, I just find them kind of sad.
In this case it'd be more like Westworld pristine (right up to the point where the zombies break loose) 100% realistic to the thing it's portraying park, apart from the various lifts and elevators into the lab underside of the Antarctica facility, not just some cheap facade. Like, Alfred should be riding an elephant out into the jungle to shoot actual living tigers grown in the lab below, not shooting some dumb fake tiger like a pleb.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I look forward to a remake of CV where the opening cinematic is remade shot-for-shot with Claire's new actress. The over-the-top feel and action still feels in line with how remake Claire acts

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In this case it'd be more like Westworld pristine (right up to the point where the zombies break loose) 100% realistic to the thing it's portraying park, apart from the various lifts and elevators into the lab underside of the Antarctica facility, not just some cheap facade. Like, Alfred should be riding an elephant out into the jungle to shoot actual living tigers grown in the lab below, not shooting some dumb fake tiger like a pleb.
Yeah, okay, I can see where you're coming from, there. When you said theme park, my mental image went more in the direction of amusement park. Definitely something else entirely.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I still enjoy how even Claire "So loving Over This poo poo Mom" Redfield in Rev2 clearly holds a soft spot for Steve, given she directly quotes him when she picks up the first gun.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao. the saga comes to a close:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyway moving on some concept art:

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status...798371772289024

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

They were good when you could play them with an actual light gun...

Was it Umbrella or Darkside Chronicles where the cursor keeps wiggling around a lot if you don't play with a light gun? I kind of remember watching someone stream it and thought that made the game way harder than it should have been.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'd buy a PC port of Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles...:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I bought both Chronicles games on PS3 when they came out eons ago and just started playing them for the first time (using a Move) starting with Umbrella Chronicles and I'm kind of bored with it after 3 levels. The enemy hit reactions are pretty underwhelming compared to something like House of the Dead 2.