Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of game movies, Paul Anderson has moved from doing lame Resident Evil movies and is working on a Monster Hunter movie, of course starring Milla Jovovich.

I really like monhun but like Mario it doesn't really have the material for a movie and I kinda wish they would leave it alone and just come up with their own IP.

Tony Jaa is in it though and he looks pretty great in costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of game movies, Paul Anderson has moved from doing lame Resident Evil movies and is working on a Monster Hunter movie, of course starring Milla Jovovich.

I really like monhun but like Mario it doesn't really have the material for a movie and I kinda wish they would leave it alone and just come up with their own IP.

Tony Jaa is in it though and he looks pretty great in costume

From what I've seen it's your basic "modern soldier gets transported to fantasy world and shoots dragons" movie. I wonder if they'll include any of MH's general themes of ecology getting thrown out of whack.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I'm not really a gamer and I only played the original Sonic the Hedgehog and I don't even think I ever made it half way through the game. But are the current crop of Sonic and Detective Pickachu movies really sticking to the video game plotlines and story?

I'm mostly joking around. If they made Mario and Zelda movies would I watch them? Motherfucking hell yeah. I make bad viewing choices all the time. I watched Godzilla: King of Monsters last night because I thought "how boring could a movie with a poo poo ton of monsters fighting be?" I challenge Hollywood to prove me wrong and it loves to do so.

But like I have no real desire for a Mario or Zelda movie. I'm just kind of surprised that in 2020 when drat near every other nostalgia option has been tried that none of the Nintendo ones have since the 90s. Like, they weren't even in Ready Player One (another film I dared to be boring and it won), were they? Nintendo must keep a tight lid on its stuff or something.

they didnt make robotnik fat and the lil animals dont get kidnapped by sonic and used to control his machines. imo the anti-corporate/pro-nature take would have been a very simple link and they just didnt even bother

like just make it so robotnik kidnapped every lil birdy and chipmunk from his world and now he travels from ring to ring trying to find a world Robotnik hasn't ruined yet and he finds Earth and half the animals are already dead and the environment's ruined. except nobody's heard of Robotnik, he hasnt even invaded us yet. and sonic jsut ditches our planet because we're completely screwed and he can go anywhere else

anyways thats my sonic movie pitch thx bye

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pick posted:

I went with friends, and the consensus was it was clearly a different screenplay for a different movie but ended up having Sonic pasted onto it. It's weirdly right/wing, and it has a bar fight for some reason. It's sappy, cliché, and not funny. I don't care about Sonic and this confirmed that as a good and sensible stance.

The Sonic games are bad, even the Genesis ones. Video game movies are bad. The sonic movie is almost certainly reaaaaaaaaaal bad.

I might watch it for Jim Carey though, on video obviously. Is he at least any good?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I will almost definitely watch the bad Paul WS Anderson film where Milla Jovovich shoots CGI monsters. I have no idea what Monster Hunter is but like... yeah, I was already abandoning excuses by like the second Resident Evil movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

STAC Goat posted:

I will almost definitely watch the bad Paul WS Anderson film where Milla Jovovich shoots CGI monsters. I have no idea what Monster Hunter is but like... yeah, I was already abandoning excuses by like the second Resident Evil movie.

Monster hunter is about murder hobos killing dinosaurs and dragons so they can make dresses and burgers out of them.

Eventually you find out some stuff about the environment so it ends up killing the dragons was necessary and you're not a bad person.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

The Sonic games are bad, even the Genesis ones. Video game movies are bad. The sonic movie is almost certainly reaaaaaaaaaal bad.

I might watch it for Jim Carey though, on video obviously. Is he at least any good?

no they didnt make him fat

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

IRQ posted:

No, he's still an anti-vaxxer.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I won't rest until they turn the PS1 Monster Rancher game into a movie.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sleeveless posted:

No, he's still an anti-vaxxer.

I didn't know that, but he does have a history of talking out his rear end.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The best video game movie is Gamer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Croatoan posted:

I won't rest until they turn the PS1 Monster Rancher game into a movie.

I never played those but kid me thought "unlock a disc!" was the coolest gimmick.

I remember hearing that you could get a cool monster from like the brittney spears CD and being like "whoaaaaaaaa"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

swickles posted:

Good movie that has zero to do with games

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Carey seems kind of generally nuts.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think the best video game movie (i.e. it really captures the spirit of playing a video game) is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really really like that movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Carey seems kind of generally nuts.

Man on the moon behind the scenes doesn't make him look very good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has Carrey said any anti-vaxx stuff since splitting up with Jenny McCarthy?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Nothing that I could find.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
he hasn't paid for billboards across the nation calling himself a wrong idiot that has killed people by using his fame and platform to stoke fear against the medical community. So he's still a net negative for humanity

Shutting the gently caress up about a topic you were never even loving close to being correct about is not some magnanimous position. Carrey is a dangerous idiot and its only a matter of time until he starts shilling his next brand of horseshit and possibly getting more people killed. gently caress jim carrey, he never should have been rescued from that canadian dumpster

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Avenue 5 is good now? I remember people saying the first couple eps were bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Some people said the first few were bad and some said they were good so :shrug: seems hit/miss if it'll be "your thing"

I gave it a try and so far it hasn't been amazing or anything but... entertaining enough?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Avenue 5 doesn't have the vicious wordplay I've come to expect from Iannucci and just feels more like a regular show, not an iannucci thing

the production values are HBO tier, but something just feels off. Hasn't stopped me from watching so far though, and I like the feeling of everything slowly going Lord of the Flies so if they keep building that tension it could be great, I just don't know where to slot it right now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

It's very strange and I think it's a personal preference thing. The tone is bizarre but intentionally, I think, and it's clearly on a VERY slow build. However, I love the careful and deliberate worldbuilding, which is so loving credible in its presentation you could choke on it.

It's frustrating for some people because it's also subtly bucking a lot of expectations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

The closest he came was saying back in 2015 or 2016 that the California governor was a "corporate fascist" after signing a bill killing personal-belief exemptions from requiring kids to be vaccinated before they could attend public school. He broke up with McCarthy in 2010, so he's still got some whackadoodle stances.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Super Mario Bros movie is great because it's one of the influences that led to David Icke developing his Lizard People conspiracy theory. He discusses the "hidden meaning" of it (and Jurassic Park of all things) in one of his books.

swickles posted:

eXistenZ

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Pick posted:

Since people are discussing it, the Sonic movie is goddamn terrible. It's a bad movie.

My MIL took my third grade daughter to see it and she thought it was pretty great. Maybe don't be an old man next time you see a kid's movie?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ariza posted:

My MIL took my third grade daughter to see it and she thought it was pretty great. Maybe don't be an old man next time you see a kid's movie?

Being a man has never been a problem for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Showtime Orders ‘The Curse’ Comedy Pilot From the Safdie Brothers & Nathan Fielder

Holy gently caress

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone knows what the best video game movie is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ7jJx9PJk

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Pick posted:

Being a man has never been a problem for me.

Glad you were able to pick out the most important part of that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you mad that she didn’t like a movie you haven’t even seen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mortal Kombat is sadly not streaming anywhere but Street Fighter is so I know what my next bad movie watch decision will be.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I saw Gamer.

That's all I can remember about the movie Gamer.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

swickles posted:

"If people did the things they did in video games to actual real life people it would be really hosed up" is about the most facile piece of social commentary about gaming imaginable, and that's before it had "whoaaaa a hot girl online is actually an ugly dude IRL!!!" as a major plot point.

Ariza posted:

I jangled keys in front of my daughter and she giggled and clapped, geez maybe you should quit being such an sjw neckbeard taking things too seriously and just let people enjoy things :rolleye:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sleeveless posted:

"If people did the things they did in video games to actual real life people it would be really hosed up" is about the most facile piece of social commentary about gaming imaginable, and that's before it had "whoaaaa a hot girl online is actually an ugly dude IRL!!!" as a major plot point.

I jangled keys in front of my daughter and she giggled and clapped, geez maybe you should quit being such an sjw neckbeard taking things too seriously and just let people enjoy things :rolleye:

Counterpoint:

https://youtu.be/nNlwoTbkk5M

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Mortal Kombat is sadly not streaming anywhere but Street Fighter is so I know what my next bad movie watch decision will be.

I went to an Alamo Draft House double feature of those movies last year and it was loving awesome.

Yes, they’re bad movies, but seeing bad movies in a crowd like that rules. It’s why I have fond memories of seeing Snakes on a Plane. It was bad, but I went to the midnight release showing and everyone was amped in a really contagious way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

STAC Goat posted:

I wasn't gonna watch the Sonic movie but if they setup a crossover with Altered Beast or Alex Kidd or something I might change my mind.

Which begs a question I've never had until this moment. How in the world hasn't someone tried to make a real bad Zelda movie?

There's been lots of pitches, including a fairly recent hideous CGI tv show pitch, but Nintendo has been giving the middle finger to almost everyone in Hollywood ever since the Mario bros movie.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I went to an Alamo Draft House double feature of those movies last year and it was loving awesome.

Yes, they’re bad movies, but seeing bad movies in a crowd like that rules. It’s why I have fond memories of seeing Snakes on a Plane. It was bad, but I went to the midnight release showing and everyone was amped in a really contagious way.

I think Mortal Kombat is actually a good if corny movie, unlike SF which is a campily fun bad one mostly elevated by a single performance.

MK: Annihilation is a complete piece of poo poo, though, and I think is largely responsible for the tarnished reputation of the first one.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Zaphod42 posted:

Monster hunter is about murder hobos killing dinosaurs and dragons so they can make dresses and burgers out of them.

Eventually you find out some stuff about the environment so it ends up killing the dragons was necessary and you're not a bad person.

You could do a lot with the actual background lore of Monster Hunter. Like according to stuff from the old artbooks, the reason why the MonHun world is in such a state is because Humanity (which used to be space age at least) subjugated the megafauna so thoroughly that elder dragons came together to absolutely wreck their poo poo, twice.

You could easily turn that into a pro-ecological movie or do something neat with it but I'm sure Anderson will somehow make the movie about Milla being some sorta half dragon lady what kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I never knew I wanted this until now :captainpop: