Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thundercracker posted:

It's 3 bucks on PS4 store as well. Was it poorly received or something? I've never seen a AAA game get discounted so heavily so fast.

I imagine it has to do with the fact that D1 took a year+ to actually become a good game that was worth playing. They're about to launch the new $30 expansion for D2 that supposedly has all the stuff that will make this a good game that is worth playing and if you *just* get the $3 version you're missing out on all the fun! It's probably just to get as many people into their ecosystem as possible for this new update and spread the word of mouth that everyone's playing D2 again.

In other news, STADIA IS SAVED! I'm sure there's going to be a lot of new posts about how this means they're about to turn poo poo around :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

explosivo posted:

In other news, STADIA IS SAVED! I'm sure there's going to be a lot of new posts about how this means they're about to turn poo poo around :toot:

Hooray! Now everyone can play Stadia!

Only not everyone, because Base still doesn't exist, so you need to buy the whole kit with 3 months of pro or get an invite code from someone who did!

Hooray!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

But the controller still won't work via WiFi or Bluetooth so get ready to dig out or buy a USB on the go adapter

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

tater_salad posted:

But the controller still won't work via WiFi or Bluetooth so get ready to dig out or buy a USB on the go adapter

Holy poo poo they seriously haven't gotten that working yet?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Google beta excuse.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo they seriously haven't gotten that working yet?

It's coming soon but who cares right guys you are so picky. Like I carry a charging cable for my phone so what's 1 more cable / adapter so I can use Stadia. Stadia is awesome so it's okay, plus it'll get fixed because Google would never abandon us.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

tater_salad posted:

It's coming soon but who cares right guys you are so picky. Like I carry a charging cable for my phone so what's 1 more cable / adapter so I can use Stadia. Stadia is awesome so it's okay, plus it'll get fixed because Google would never abandon us.

:hmmyes:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
These people treat playing on your phone as the best feature in the world but I can't imagine trying to play a modern AAA game with a controller on a tiny phone screen. I played a bit of Playstation remote play on my phone just to try it out, and while it worked well enough I would never actually play like that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Pirate Captain posted:

These people treat playing on your phone as the best feature in the world but I can't imagine trying to play a modern AAA game with a controller on a tiny phone screen. I played a bit of Playstation remote play on my phone just to try it out, and while it worked well enough I would never actually play like that.

Also, as cellphones get better, wouldn't it just make sense to run the game locally and download it to your phone - if phone gaming took off?

But even so, playing in your phone just seems like a bad proposition. My phone works because it fits into my pockets. It's something I can pick up and play around with quite easily. But if I have to attach a controller, then I might as well have a switch. Or if I use screen controls, I might as well play anything else.

I'm convinced that streaming is a nail in search of a hammer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Playing on your phone is really cool. Having stuff like Forza or HITMAN in the palm of your hand is sick, but it's really more of a novelty than anything else. Not sure I'd actually want to sit down and start a gaming session like that on my phone, and they types of games I would want to play like that (sort bursts, doesn't require full attention) could probably run natively on the phone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, as cellphones get better, wouldn't it just make sense to run the game locally and download it to your phone - if phone gaming took off?

But even so, playing in your phone just seems like a bad proposition. My phone works because it fits into my pockets. It's something I can pick up and play around with quite easily. But if I have to attach a controller, then I might as well have a switch. Or if I use screen controls, I might as well play anything else.

I'm convinced that streaming is a nail in search of a hammer.

yeah the hammer its looking for is "all games as a service"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Even if it did work, it’d be a special kind of stupid to whip up a phone and controller in a public place. I mean, I’m on an 11 hour train ride and as much as I enjoy games, I have basic impulse control not to need to loving whip up my controller, phone stand and a 1000 dollar device to play vidya games.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Yeah, it's really neat that it works at all, but my reaction was "huh, that's cool" and then I never touched it again. I bet 99% of the people on Stadia do the same thing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Pirate Captain posted:

Yeah, it's really neat that it works at all, but my reaction was "huh, that's cool" and then I never touched it again. I bet 99% of the people on Stadia do the same thing.

How is this possible when 25% of the Founders are right now wedged deep into a crawlspace under the floorboards, hiding from their game hating wives while they get in a cheeky round of Motocross action with little oxygen and little more space than can fit a 5.5 inch phone screen?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One of the most important benefits of cloud gaming for me is probably also an incredibly niche one that ties in with games as a service. Game previews.

I have a Game Pass subscription and have access to 100s of games of varying qualities and styles, but I don't really play much other than the big name titles I'm either already familiar with or I've heard good things about. There's something about the "effort" of downloading and installing a game you have no clue about that's really detrimental to me. Kind of how like you're more likely to watch a movie on cable and sit through the commercials than you are to pop in the DVD and watch it for real. Maybe I'm just really lazy but it's hard to get over that mental hurdle when browsing the list of available games.

With streaming tied to Game Pass I could immediately start and try dozens of games that I think might look interesting, and if I decide that I like them then I can go ahead and download them and install them to play traditionally. Something like this would allow me to get much more value and enjoyment out of my Game Pass subscription, but ultimately in the scope of cloud gaming it's just a tiny benefit.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Now playing on your phone is an unimportant novelty, but weeks ago it was more evidence that Stadia was total poo poo. Interesting how the tides move, when Stadia launches features that feature is apparently no longer important.

Phone streaming will matter more, though, when form factor appropriate content comes. No one wants to plat Football Manager on a cell phone screen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

American McGay posted:

One of the most important benefits of cloud gaming for me is probably also an incredibly niche one that ties in with games as a service. Game previews.

I have a Game Pass subscription and have access to 100s of games of varying qualities and styles, but I don't really play much other than the big name titles I'm either already familiar with or I've heard good things about. There's something about the "effort" of downloading and installing a game you have no clue about that's really detrimental to me. Kind of how like you're more likely to watch a movie on cable and sit through the commercials than you are to pop in the DVD and watch it for real. Maybe I'm just really lazy but it's hard to get over that mental hurdle when browsing the list of available games.

With streaming tied to Game Pass I could immediately start and try dozens of games that I think might look interesting, and if I decide that I like them then I can go ahead and download them and install them to play traditionally. Something like this would allow me to get much more value and enjoyment out of my Game Pass subscription, but ultimately in the scope of cloud gaming it's just a tiny benefit.

I'll usually idly browse game pass once every couple weeks, install 4-5 games that look interesting all at once, and then try them out at my leisure.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Now playing on your phone is an unimportant novelty, but weeks ago it was more evidence that Stadia was total poo poo. Interesting how the tides move, when Stadia launches features that feature is apparently no longer important.

Phone streaming will matter more, though, when form factor appropriate content comes. No one wants to plat Football Manager on a cell phone screen.
so they're gonna develop games specifically to be played on the phone?

whoa

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hostile apostle posted:

We're a decade+ into touch-screen smart phones and there still isn't good game content for the form-factor. Unless Stadia's gonna go after the anime titty gacha train.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

What kind of "form factor appropriate content" are we talking here? Games designed for small screens that don't already run on devices with small screens?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gonna stream granblue fantasy to my phone in 4k

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hostile apostle posted:

you complain that people say the feature is unimportant; and then admit the feature is completely unimportant in your post

nobody wants to play this garbage on a screen! you're right!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Guys.. you can fuckin play destiny 2 on your phone.... Rdr2 right there on your gotdsmned phone. Stadia is the fuckin future it's here, no more titty gacha.. full on AAA titles.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if only there was some way i could find games appropriate for my phone form factor

but also, that i couldn't play unless i was on wifi or unless i wanted to be bankrupt or kicked off the phone network within four hours

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Something that is unappealing that should have been standard from the start does not become appealing once it is present.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

hostile apostle posted:

lmao

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

Why stream it though? Literally every phone game I have is a something that can be played in small bursts, and so is generally small.

So why on Earth would I want to stream Angry Birds?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I always thought the killer app for phone Stadia was that you could jump in and do your boring grinding loot box earning gameplay that's such a critical part of modern GaaS type games. Games like Destiny already have more in common with the worst of phone gaming than I'd like, so Stadia enabling that kind of experience for hitting your daily logins and similar made sense to me.

I hate that RDR2 online has daily quests with streaks for additional rewards; I regularly go days where I can't get to the Xbox and login and do stuff. But I could probably login in and pet a dog or whatever to keep the streak alive if I had Stadia and Stadia progress sync'd with a good console. I presume that when xCloud opens up I'll be able to use it for that.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why stream it though? Literally every phone game I have is a something that can be played in small bursts, and so is generally small.

Did you miss all the dadias only having time to play while on the toilet and how it's perfect for that? Checkmate, downloadailure!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

gschmidl posted:

Did you miss all the dadias only having time to play while on the toilet and how it's perfect for that? Checkmate, downloadailure!

:wrong:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I knew that was coming and took the bullet anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We're a decade+ into touch-screen smart phones and there still isn't good game content for the form-factor. Unless Stadia's gonna go after the anime titty gacha train.

Yeah it's not like the concept of playing games on a phone is some wacky newfangled tech that Google is pioneering.

There are several huge hurdles to good "AAA" style gameplay experiences on a phone that haven't really been surpassed despite us being into the second decade of smartphones being ubiquitous. Screen size is a huge issue for a lot of games. Input is a huge factor - touchscreen controls on the display you're playing on are super awkward, lovely, and limited, but at the same time it's suicidal to design a phone game assuming people are going to plug a controller into their phone because for most people that defeats the purpose of the phone's portability and convenience in the first place and you might as well buy a portable console. This means that it's really difficult to design many types of games for the platform because of control issues. Finally, phone games are by their very nature something someone plays on the go, in tiny snippets while sitting in a waiting room or on a subway or on a bus, which hampers the types of games you can design for the platform and actually find an audience.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ okay Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft astroturfer how much do they pay you to post here.

Opening up phones will surely mean that Stadia is here to stay and will start getting all kinds of users and poo poo.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

Unironically true. Playing console games on your phone isn't that important - but not following through with your promises is.

quote:

This is true if and only if the content is not just form factor appropriate but also for whatever reason couldn't be run on your phone. Because it will burn through data - if you could just download a 150MB app that did the same job the app would be strictly better.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

If you really want to play video games on the go and the usual App Store/Play Store mobile phone game fare doesn't do it for you, the answer, as always, is just buy a goddamn Switch already, rather than buy a service that requires you to Frankenstein your phone to a controller, sucks down your data plan if you leave the house, lags or disconnects if you hit one weak coverage spot on your bus/train ride, and dumps your whole goddamn game session in the time it takes you to switch trains.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

Every part of this post is stupid as hell

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Witcher 3 on Switch just got a considerable update, which along with offering some graphical options that can improve how the game looks, adds in support for Cloud Saves which go both ways, between the Steam and GOG versions of the game. Now remember that The Witcher 3 is supported on Geforce Now (although the image they have doesn't include the DLC, annoyingly). So if you double-dip and get the game on Switch and Steam, you can effectively do the following:

- Play locally on your PC
- Play remotely using your PC as the renderer (using Steam Remote Play or any other streaming system you want)
- Play on the Cloud using GeForce Now
- Play handheld on Switch for when you don't have sufficient internet for streaming

At least the first three options will automatically keep your saves synced, with the Switch version having to be done manually but it's just simple menu options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Stadia is just a long form commercial for the Switch

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I feel like the peak Stadia commercial will be an ad that looks like an excerpt from the diary of Anne Frank except with a guy playing Tomb Raider 2013 on his phone with the volume muted desperately hoping his wife doesn't hear him in the attic.

Then they won't know why people are upset and the subreddit will say there's no such thing as bad PR and congratulate Google for being innovative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

The Stadia is just a long form commercial for the Switch

Hell, the Switch already has game streaming (in Japan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNR3ozyYt8