Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Niiiiice work, and very striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That coat is excellent

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I get a lot of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat" and Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors" comments.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My wife is shopping for a new sewing machine and could use some recommendations. She's been quilting for 20+ years, and that's most of what she'd be using the machine for. She needs a home machine for piecing, since her mom has a medium arm quilting machine. Her main concerns are that she wants something that is reliable and feels good to sew on for long periods of time. In particular, she's had a lot of problems with machines that don't maintain tension and is really sick of dealing with it. She had a Husqvarna Viking for most of her life but has finally gotten tired of having to get it repaired since usually it fails again in a matter of months. For the same reason, she's pretty opposed to buying a used machine and just wants to get a new one.

Any ideas? We've been shopping around but she's getting overwhelmed by options and we don't really have anywhere where she can just sit down and try a bunch of models.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I hear wonderful things about modern Brother machines. My experience has been that https://sewing.patternreview.com/ has really solid and useful reviews; patternreview is pretty much the Ravelry of sewing.

If she's a quilter, ask if she's considered a vintage Featherweight. Their straight stitch is Godlike. You can sew for hours. If she's doing anything with stretch stitches, she doesn't want a straight-stitch machine, but otherwise think about it. You can still get Featherweights repaired, you can still get replacement parts, and people are still making new tools for them; I replaced mine's incandescent bulb with an LED bulb made to fit a Featherweight. If you stalk Craigslist, there's a good chance you can find them for cheaper than a new machine. I just checked in my urban area and there was 1 for $400 and 1 for $475.

I own a Featherweight and a '80s Bernina. Whenever I have a choice, I use the Featherweight, because it's pick it up out of the box, plop it on the table, change the thread, and sew.

Now. I do own two machines, because a Featherweight is absolutely useless on anything other than woven fabric. Your wife should think about what stitches she needs.

e: Whoops. I know you're saying no used machines, so this entire rant was beside the point. I'm sorry. I will say that I have never had to have my Featherweight repaired, nor has my mother. All they need is the occasional tune-up.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 31, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MockingQuantum posted:

My wife is shopping for a new sewing machine and could use some recommendations. She's been quilting for 20+ years, and that's most of what she'd be using the machine for. She needs a home machine for piecing, since her mom has a medium arm quilting machine. Her main concerns are that she wants something that is reliable and feels good to sew on for long periods of time. In particular, she's had a lot of problems with machines that don't maintain tension and is really sick of dealing with it. She had a Husqvarna Viking for most of her life but has finally gotten tired of having to get it repaired since usually it fails again in a matter of months. For the same reason, she's pretty opposed to buying a used machine and just wants to get a new one.

Any ideas? We've been shopping around but she's getting overwhelmed by options and we don't really have anywhere where she can just sit down and try a bunch of models.

Pfaff and Bernina are probably the best brands out there, but they can be prohibitively expensive. Juki, Janome, and Baby Lock are solid, reputable machines. Brother has a lot of good machines, and some absolute garbage so you need to do your research a bit before purchasing. Singer is really aiming for a budget market and it's affected their quality, so I'd avoid buying a new one.

What you really should do is decide on a price point, pick a brand you're interested in, and then find a dealer. Take the overwhelming amount of choice out of the situation, because any new machine from those recommended brand is going to be an improvement over an old Viking that breaks every few months.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you have the option of a dealer, they can often give you a very good price on somebody else's trade-in. There are sewing machine people who upgrade routinely to get the newest features. Since you're buying it directly from the dealer, there will be a warranty.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Has anyone ever used super cheap thread and noticed that it seemed to gently caress with your tension? It didn't actually change the tension of the machine, because once I loaded a different thread everything was fine and went back to normal, but when I was trying to work with this 99c black thread it became really tight/hard to pull both the needle thread and the bobbin. Not a big deal because I can just chuck that thread and be done with it, but I didn't even know that such a thing was possible

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Has anyone ever used super cheap thread and noticed that it seemed to gently caress with your tension? It didn't actually change the tension of the machine, because once I loaded a different thread everything was fine and went back to normal, but when I was trying to work with this 99c black thread it became really tight/hard to pull both the needle thread and the bobbin. Not a big deal because I can just chuck that thread and be done with it, but I didn't even know that such a thing was possible

My guess is that such cheap thread is probably wound badly, but I imagine if it's rough/inconsistent that'll screw up your tension too.

If a dull needle can screw up your tension, I completely believe crappy thread can do it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

BonerGhost posted:

My guess is that such cheap thread is probably wound badly, but I imagine if it's rough/inconsistent that'll screw up your tension too.

If a dull needle can screw up your tension, I completely believe crappy thread can do it.

It's probably this, but I'd imagine the fiber content could (possibly) have something to do with it too. Most of my threads are polyester or poly-cotton blend, but man let me tell you about the time I tried to load the machine up with quilter's cotton by mistake.. :doh:

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Tons of variables can affect the friction between the thread and the machine, I think. Coatings, content, bonding and twists, etc. So I would think if you switch brands you should probably expect to have to tweak tension a bit.

I hate it when I can't find a color in the brand I like, and have to get some other brand that has slippery thread. Stupid slippery thread.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Cheap thread's gonna be linty as poo poo, too. That can't help.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

It's probably this, but I'd imagine the fiber content could (possibly) have something to do with it too. Most of my threads are polyester or poly-cotton blend, but man let me tell you about the time I tried to load the machine up with quilter's cotton by mistake.. :doh:

Uh hell I've probably done this too, it might explain why my tension is off so often. I knew about dull needle but not thread fiber.

What's the fix, do you just fiddle with tension until it's not hosed up anymore? A cursory Google found some info on relative stretch & tells me you may not want to use poly on cotton knits bc it can break the cotton fibers, but that's about all I've found on the subject.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Yep. Tension is meant to be changed, not one size fits all. So you might have to change it if you go from working on really thin material to thicker material as well.

I do really wish there were machines that could figure it out automatically though. Why has science not gone far enough???

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

This thread moves a bit faster than the cos-play thread and had alot of the same posters.

I'm working on helmet for The Shredder from the ninja turtles and was curious if 6mm EVA foam would work just fine for this?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Not that I've worked with cosplay at all, but I get the impression you might want heat-moldable plastic for something with that much detail / spikiness.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rythe posted:

This thread moves a bit faster than the cos-play thread and had alot of the same posters.

I'm working on helmet for The Shredder from the ninja turtles and was curious if 6mm EVA foam would work just fine for this?

If you're doing like, 80s TMNT cartoon Shredder, EVA foam and a dremel will get you like 90% of the way there

If you're going for one of the more spiky modern incarnations, you'll likely want to look at 3d printing or using such as worbla to make your spikes

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I am going original Shredder for the armor and outfit as that is iconic but I was thinking of using the Movie 1 Shredder helmet design as that stands out more and would be a bit cooler temp wise with the face mask being more opened.

I'm thinking EVA foam with plasti dip should be rigid enough to support its own weight for the armor spikes and the helmet? I want to make sure this is safe for a convention floor but still maintain shape.

Going with 5-6 MM foam if possible.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I finally have space for my sewing machine. I sat down, set it up and had a blast. It's a cheap basement Singer Tradition that had spent 2 years boxed on top of my wardrobe waiting for it's time. I patched a bunch of clothes and made some small curtains for the bathroom nooks in our shared house. I was loving it. Then the light fizzed and the machine died.

RIP Singer Tradition March 9th-March 11th. But I have a taste for it now.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

I finally have space for my sewing machine. I sat down, set it up and had a blast. It's a cheap basement Singer Tradition that had spent 2 years boxed on top of my wardrobe waiting for it's time. I patched a bunch of clothes and made some small curtains for the bathroom nooks in our shared house. I was loving it. Then the light fizzed and the machine died.

RIP Singer Tradition March 9th-March 11th. But I have a taste for it now.

My cursory Google says some machines don't work if the bulb burns out? Could be that.

You didn't blow a house circuit, did you?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

BonerGhost posted:

My cursory Google says some machines don't work if the bulb burns out? Could be that.

You didn't blow a house circuit, did you?

Yeah it probably came with an incandescent bulb. Find a cheap led replacement and try switching it out.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
I made some things for an older friend who is having his first son. A quilt, some pants a lovey bunny, and a pretty badass reversible kimono. Still have scraps left...made other toys, a binky pouch and a carseat cover, but forgot to photo those, too

Forgot a finished pic before shipping it.

Edit: A few more of the kimono. I made it reversible just to make my own life more complicated. Also, to match the pants.

and a picture of some quilting.

HodjasBitch fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 18, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

HodjasBitch posted:

I made some things for an older friend who is having his first son. A quilt, some pants a lovey bunny, and a pretty badass reversible kimono. Still have scraps left...made other toys, a binky pouch and a carseat cover, but forgot to photo those, too

Forgot a finished pic before shipping it.

1. owns
2. owns
3. OWNS

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is that terry cloth on the kimono top? I'm impressed. It all looks pretty cute.

Also why isn't this thread more hopping? Aren't we all supposed to be cloistered away with nothing to do? I reorganized my fabric stash and now have like six potential quilt ideas all swirling around, which is how my stash got wrecked to begin with.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have been waiting over a year to use my sewing machine because I'm an international hobo and I don't own a table. :smith: but I'm getting mending done!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I have very little fabric. I'm hand stitching a new id holder thiugh.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have tons of fabric, two machines, and several patterns I've been meaning to work on for months. My only problem is that I have very little space to work in. We were thinking of doing something like a "Maker Monday" at work; I was going to bring over the machines and buy a nice-ish table for it, but all those plans went out the window.. :sigh:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody have any tips and hints on how to make a cape for costume usage? The internet is fairly empty from my searches on how to go about doing this. I am pretty sure I can wing it as it is a basic shape and just needs basic sewing skills to create it.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Do you want a circle cloak type thing or just a superman style cape?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Going with the superman style cape, based on the ninja turtle shredder. It's going to stop about mid shoulders as my armor should hold it back. I really want to get that nice bunched effected in the front.

I have an idea on how to do that with some hidden velcro in the front and cutting out a U shape for fitting to my neck. I picked up some really nice poly satin that flows amazing and the color is spot on.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Best advice is to make a paper template and probably at least one mock-up version out of some cheap fabric to make sure you're getting the look you want around the neck before you start working with the satin. It's not the most forgiving of materials, and neck holes can be deceptively difficult. Think about putting in an actual collar to attach the cape to, and using some pleats or even just a couple of hidden stitches to hold the bunching in place how you want it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The paper template is a good idea as I have large roll of butcher paper laying around. Making a collar and pleats is something I haven't done before and can be learned. Pleats are a good idea though, I like that.

Am I thinking my basic shape is going to be a large rectangle in this or more of a triangle with a rounded bottom?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Better fitted capes tend to be some kind of wedge shape. Since you aren't planning on drawing it around your shoulders, a triangle is probably the way to go if you want a lot of flair at the bottom.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That's what I thought on the shape, would probably make cutting the neck hole a bit easier without having a ton of excess fabric up top.

Would velcro be a good way to hold the cape together at the neck? Snaps buttons would be really strong if I could hide them, I just don't have the equipment to install them is all. Having the cape removable at the neck versus going over my head would be nice.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Thought I'd link this here:

Youth Decay posted:

There are hospitals specifically asking for homemade cloth masks and providing patterns. The situation is that desperate right now.
https://www.regmedctr.org/services/public-health/health-alerts/covid-19-%28novel-coronavirus%29/default.aspx
https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I really like magnetic purse clasps for that kind of thing, if you're attaching to a specific costume that would be nice and easy, they're strong and easy to get in a sew-on variety

if you want the cape to kinda cowl/drape between the shoulders in the back you would also want to make it wider than your shoulders at that point. Then when you bring the edges of the cape in, you get that drape effect. You'll need less of that U cutout as well. Luckily it's easy to play around with before you do any cutting.
2nding the wedge shape, that gives a nicer flow/drape than a straight rectangle

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Those sew on magnetic clasp are amazing, I wish I found out about those a long time ago. That would have solved some velcro related mishaps.

Thanks for all the advice on the cape, once I get done assembling my armor I'm going to get started on that.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have some jeans that are getting frayed in the thigh area and not sure how to reinforce it or what technique/hand stitch to use. It's a run across the fabric and nowhere near a seam. Most videos I find are for sewing machines and stuff that's already ripped. They're black and on the inner thigh so I'm not too concerned about it looking perfect. They're also about 30% stretch, don't know if that makes a difference.

My hand sewing knowledge so far is holes made in fine woolens and socks. I know how to weave those together and was going to use that technique, but it's a 1.5-2" run so I don't know if that is the best solution for that much work.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd just sew a large patch over the area that is wearing out. If you have an old pair of jeans that isn't worth saving (and made from a similar material) that would be a good source for the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://dog-of-ulthar.tumblr.com/post/184147573580/im-gonna-teach-you-to-fix-your-dang-pants

This post is kind of annoying but it has very helpful pictures.