Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Unless you want to spend a lot of time for not much extra gain, just leave everything stock and change the multiplier to about where you'd like to end up (4.4, maybe 4.5)

Run some intelburntest loops and see what your temps look like, or if it crashes.

If it crashes but your temps looked ok, change your voltage offset. Just don't go over like, 1.3 probably.

Repeat and see if crash and/or temp too high.

One core is always cooler because it has an inactive igpu next to it, probably, soaking up some heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Dogen posted:

Unless you want to spend a lot of time for not much extra gain, just leave everything stock and change the multiplier to about where you'd like to end up (4.4, maybe 4.5)

Run some intelburntest loops and see what your temps look like, or if it crashes.

If it crashes but your temps looked ok, change your voltage offset. Just don't go over like, 1.3 probably.

Repeat and see if crash and/or temp too high.

One core is always cooler because it has an inactive igpu next to it, probably, soaking up some heat.
Spending a lot of time for not much extra gain could be a thread title. I will probably get into tweaking with more options and RAM later just to see what I can do. Though I think I am missing a setting somewhere but not sure what it could be.

I can get the multiplier up to 44 fine. Under the x264 test the Vcore auto adjusts to ~1.2v, max core temp 54C.
If I set it to 45, either in Intel XTU or UEFI, windows is unhappy and crashes/fails to start. This doesn't seem out of the ordinary since I haven't adjusted voltage at all yet.
My mobo comes with some "Optimized CPU OC Setting" presets which is mostly some values for max power that were 'auto'. I load up the 4.4Ghz one to see how it compares. Vcore goes up to ~1.3v, 60C, but the test did run very slightly faster.

Now the odd thing is after loading those presets I can change the multiplier to 45x, boot, and successfully run through a couple loops of x264 and IntelBurnTest. Still at ~1.3V and a couple C more than 44x.
If I take set the profile back the default, 45x goes back to failing. If I set the all the UEFI values I can find to match the preset, 45x still fails. If I use the preset 45x works again but I don't know why.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
So I've been having endless RAM struggles with my 3950X rig, originally I was using dual 2x8 kits and things seemed fine. When I started using memtest and Karhu RAM test I found issues and no matter how far I dialed down speeds and timings it would fail Karhu under certain circumstances. After a lot of frustration I removed one of the 2x8 kits and things seemed to work fine, I could OC to DRAM calc fast settings with no issue in any program or game.

...until I downloaded RDR2, now I'm back to square one and my single 2x8 kit can't run any configuration. What confuses me is that I can boot and run programs with settings a lot of people can't even boot, 1900 FCLK and ryzen calc fast settings, but specifcally RDR2 throws fits even if I make things hilariously slow and loose. I'm willing to just buy new RAM or a new mobo to get this fuckery to go away but I'm not really sure which is the culprit at this point. I tried swapping the one 2x8 kit for the other but both seem to be very temperamental with this setup.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 7, 2020

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MaxxBot posted:

So I've been having endless RAM struggles with my 3950X rig, originally I was using dual 2x8 kits and things seemed fine. When I started using memtest and Karhu RAM test I found issues and no matter how far I dialed down speeds and timings it would fail Karhu under certain circumstances. After a lot of frustration I removed one of the 2x8 kits and things seemed to work fine, I could OC to DRAM calc fast settings with no issue in any program or game.

...until I downloaded RDR2, now I'm back to square one and my single 2x8 kit can't run any configuration. What confuses me is that I can boot and run programs with settings a lot of people can't even boot, 1900 FCLK and ryzen calc fast settings, but specifcally RDR2 throws fits even if I make things hilariously slow and loose. I'm willing to just buy new RAM or a new mobo to get this fuckery to go away but I'm not really sure which is the culprit at this point. I tried swapping the one 2x8 kit for the other but both seem to be very temperamental with this setup.

Presumably you have tried running at stock/xmp with no oc or pbo?

eames
May 9, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Is the RAM on the QVL? Life's too short to run non-QVL RAM.

In my experience any intermittent instability from RAM overclocking is a.) a nightmare to reproduce and debug b.) not worth the few percent of performance and c.) makes you despise the whole system over time.

I think you can either try the slow JEDEC/AMD stock settings or spend a lot more time in the calculator/BIOS or just buy one new set of memory that is QVL approved.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Hey y'all I want to run something by you. I am getting BSODs at a very specific time, but otherwise good stability. I have a very conservative OC of an 8700 -- basically defaults on my asus strix mid tier motherboard, but I did go through the exercise of bringing the voltage down and testing stability under load. The default seemed like overkill.

My OS hangs up after I exit a graphics intensive game. I could play for hours without issue, but maybe once per week it hangs when I exit overwatch or borderlands. The error that gets logged is about a USB device not handling a low power state.

I was thinking the error might be related to my CPU or some component not getting enough voltage when it cycles down rapidly from a load.

Any thoughts on this? The machine has been running great for 2 years, and this only started 3 months ago. I upgraded my video card and it was doing this before and after the video card upgrade.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

headcase posted:

Hey y'all I want to run something by you. I am getting BSODs at a very specific time, but otherwise good stability. I have a very conservative OC of an 8700 -- basically defaults on my asus strix mid tier motherboard, but I did go through the exercise of bringing the voltage down and testing stability under load. The default seemed like overkill.

My OS hangs up after I exit a graphics intensive game. I could play for hours without issue, but maybe once per week it hangs when I exit overwatch or borderlands. The error that gets logged is about a USB device not handling a low power state.

I was thinking the error might be related to my CPU or some component not getting enough voltage when it cycles down rapidly from a load.

Any thoughts on this? The machine has been running great for 2 years, and this only started 3 months ago. I upgraded my video card and it was doing this before and after the video card upgrade.

I think you can easily wind up chasing your own tail trying to figure out exactly which protocol or event is causing this problem - have you tried just stepping up your voltage a bit (0.05v at a time maybe) and seeing if you still get these errors? I'd start there - if you're still having issues at ~+0.15v from where you're at now then I'd start looking harder into what exactly is crashing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

You could try to visualize the flow with a stick of incense or something else that generates visible smoke, that would tell you for sure

Or I could, if I had a window in my case. In lieu of actual evidence, more fans = better than. :colbert:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

headcase posted:

Maybe try doing a full DDU GPU driver uninstall. CPU OC seems like an unlikely culprit to me, though power supply is a good guess. How old is your PSU? Is it a decent one?

You try doing things like look for BIOS and MB driver updates?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Lockback posted:

Maybe try doing a full DDU GPU driver uninstall. CPU OC seems like an unlikely culprit to me, though power supply is a good guess. How old is your PSU? Is it a decent one?

I like your idea about upgrading firmware and drivers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Argus monitor.

Thanks, I got this set up and I'm pretty happy with it

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Lockback posted:

I upgraded the BIOS, which wiped out my OC profile, which forced me to go through the OC process again. I also found a USB device that wasn't detecting properly and had driver issues and a bunch of phantom USB clones. Fixed that.

After doing all that,. no crashes yet... Thanks for the direction.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

MaxxBot posted:

Did you return everything to XMP and no FCLK overclock? If that isn't working, you have a hardware compatibility issue. What mobo and RAM are you using? Also when using 2 sticks you should be using slots 2 and 4 away from CPU, not 1 and 3. But all 4 sticks should work fine and I wouldn't settle for just two.

The fact that swapping the RAM doesn't' fix it points to the RAM being okay, it is really unlikely for two separate kits to each have a bad stick.

And Karhu is good at finding problems, but it is still a synethic workload. I can have 10000%+ Karhu with 0 errors and still find issues later. What I find works well is to use Karhu at about half of my RAM, limit the threads, then run it in the background while I use my PC as normal/play games etc. Games are very good at bringing out errors because they are testing your full PC (CPU+RAM+GPU+Disk+SB/PCIe+network IO) which all have to communicate with eachother without interference (and remember that all electronics can potentially interfere with eachother). I usually run 1 2GB thread of memtest HCI too, and keep Steam/background apps running,. That quickly catches errors that don't come up in 10+ hours of Karhu by itself. I thought I had 16-19-19-37 stable because 0 errors in days of memtesting at 3800/1900FCLK, until I tried this method and it caught an error in 10 minutes. Your RAM errors should always be 0, not even 1 after 12 hours of testing is OK. Who knows what data might corrupt itself - maybe it means reinstalling the OS, maybe it means lost data. The 3-5% performance gains really aren't worth losing a drive partition because the NTFS MFT poo poo the bed due to RAM corruption or something (I am still addicted to it anyway :( ).

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm having some weird downclocking issues with my 1700. Once I hit it with a heavy load such as rendering in Davinci Resolve it holds its 3.8ghz steady until it hits 70C, upon which it throttles to 0.6ghz and promptly returns to 3.8 and it keeps repeating. What could be causing this behaviour? From what I've read the CPU shouldn't have any troble crossing the 70C threshold.

I'm using Ryzen Master to OC, 3.8ghz @ 1.275V cooled by a Gammaxx 400 on an Biostar x370gtn motherboard, 3 case fans (two front intakes, one back exaust).

BTW, I've seen people get 4.1ghz overclocks (under water ofc) on this board, so I don't think it's an issue given my conservative clocks and voltages?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

I'm having some weird downclocking issues with my 1700. Once I hit it with a heavy load such as rendering in Davinci Resolve it holds its 3.8ghz steady until it hits 70C, upon which it throttles to 0.6ghz and promptly returns to 3.8 and it keeps repeating. What could be causing this behaviour? From what I've read the CPU shouldn't have any troble crossing the 70C threshold.

I'm using Ryzen Master to OC, 3.8ghz @ 1.275V cooled by a Gammaxx 400 on an Biostar x370gtn motherboard, 3 case fans (two front intakes, one back exaust).

BTW, I've seen people get 4.1ghz overclocks (under water ofc) on this board, so I don't think it's an issue given my conservative clocks and voltages?

What happens if you do a stresstest? Does it always throttle when it hits 70C or is that just in Resolve?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'll give an update tomorrow, right now I can't get it to go over 65C under AC but it certainly will in forecasted 36C ambient temps.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Update: Same behaviour on CPU-Z and AIDA64's stress tests.
e: I think Ryzen Master itself might be doing it, when I used HWinfo to monitor temps they kept rising past 70 normally. Weird.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 19, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

Update: Same behaviour on CPU-Z and AIDA64's stress tests.
e: I think Ryzen Master itself might be doing it, when I used HWinfo to monitor temps they kept rising past 70 normally. Weird.

I don't know anything about ryzen but make sure you didn't set something in your BIOS to 'limit' temps or something. I know that ryzen chips seem to behave funny when monitored by certain programs but CPU-Z is on the safe list of monitoring software that doesn't itself cause weird CPU poo poo.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know anything about ryzen but make sure you didn't set something in your BIOS to 'limit' temps or something. I know that ryzen chips seem to behave funny when monitored by certain programs but CPU-Z is on the safe list of monitoring software that doesn't itself cause weird CPU poo poo.

I though this was a Zen 2 only thing.
Anyway, knowing to keep RM closed I tried to OC more but it takes too much voltage to keep stable and at 1.375V it throttles. I guess I'll stick with the much cooler 3.8ghz.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I've been overclockning my core m-7y30 machine (mostly because I could) but now it seems to be always stuck at max boost frequencies, even after I reset ITU and BIOS settings to default, checked SpeedStep settings, etc. Any ideas what could prevent it from clocking down? It used to go down to like 800mhz or something and it it seems like this is screwing up my battery life.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2020

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been overclockning my core m-7y30 machine (mostly because I could) but now it seems to be always stuck at max boost frequencies, even after I reset ITU and BIOS settings to default, checked SpeedStep settings, etc. Any ideas what could prevent it from clocking down? It used to go down to like 800mhz or something and it it seems like this is screwing up my battery life.

Did you disable the speed-step option in BIOS? Maybe enabled Load-Line Calibration? There's a setting for this I just can't remember the exact name off the top of my head.. It might even be your windows power plan. Make sure it's not set to Performance

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lube banjo posted:

Did you disable the speed-step option in BIOS? Maybe enabled Load-Line Calibration? There's a setting for this I just can't remember the exact name off the top of my head.. It might even be your windows power plan. Make sure it's not set to Performance

Yeah, windows power plan would be my guess.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I recently put together a passively cooled case - heatpipes on the CPU and GPU leading to heatsinks on the sides of the case.

It's working well but I'd like to reduce the temps a bit.

I have a 1st geb Ryzen 1600 and appearantly(?) its impossiblr to adjust the PPT/TDP (from what I read is the prefered method if avaliable) on those but have to be content with undervolting the vcore. -100mV offset is stable (peak voltage is at 1.25 instead of 1.35V) and has dropped the temps a tad. Is there any better method?

What about lowering the temps on my 1050 Ti? Is adusting the clock speed/voltage curve from within Afterburner the best method? Is there any better/easier method? I assume I'll have to have Afterburner run on boot to reapply the settings?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I recently put together a passively cooled case - heatpipes on the CPU and GPU leading to heatsinks on the sides of the case.

Ohhh neat.. what case is it?

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Ohhh neat.. what case is it?

It's the HDplex H5 gen 1. Really diggin it thus far! It's so quiet that I can't tell whether it's turned on before the screen turns on. Good build quality and weighs in around 10 kilos, where the copper heat sink base plates for the CPU and GPU account for like 500 grams each. First PC I've put together in like 8 years and I had forgotten how much fun it was. Quite tricky tho. Alot of sticky thermal compound.

Here's a pic where I'm halfway thru ziptieing down all the cables. The CPU heatsink is mostly concealed by the sound card and the the disks are not in yet.

Didn't realize that the motherboard was a 'gamer' mobo before buying it - didn't even know they were a thing! Thought that all the blinking lights were some sort of BIOS error code at first. Haha

E: And it's all used parts apart for the MOBO which was a return on extra sale. Got it mostly for the WiFi and BT antennae. That the VRM is of decent quality and not coil whining was a very welcome bonus!

Sigmund Fraud fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 15, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sick. I need a full passive pc in my life!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Lube banjo posted:

Lockback posted:

Yeah, windows power plan would be my guess.
Yeah, thanks, that was it lol :doh:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have an older Core i7 running inside my MAME cabinet. It's an i7 930 that I used to have overclocked to 4.2 ghz (default clock speed is 2.8 ghz). The motherboard was some ECS board and I had no problem overclocking it. I would increase the voltage to the CPU a bit, and set the CPU frequency to 200 and the ratio to 21 which would give me 4.2ghz and it was rock-solid. As a result, a lot of the games in MAME ran much better, especially 3-d ones like Mortal Kombat 4.

Unfortunately the motherboard died when the Corsair H60 liquid cooler decided to randomly leak oil all over the motherboard one day. I couldn't find an exact replacement on eBay so I got an Asus P6X58D-E. I can't figure out how to overclock it to save my life and was hoping someone could help.

The biggest issue is I see nothing in the BIOS about CPU frequency. I can easily set the ratio to 21 but I can't find anything about the frequency. I would have taken pictures of the BIOS but it looks really funky on a 320x240 arcade CRT when photographed (it's almost illegible). So I am including some "screens" from the manual:

I don't know if any of these images are useful but if it would be more helpful for me to attempt again to take actual photos of the BIOS on the arcade monitor I can give it another shot. Also this is a direct link to the manual if it helps: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1366/P6X58D-E/E5435_P6X58D-E_manual.zip

I hope I am not coming off like I'm lazy and am asking someone else to do the work for me but I messed with a bunch of different settings for several weeks now, and it would always cause the motherboard to not POST, probably because I am not sure what I should be changing since the verbiage in this BIOS is so different than the ECS one I had before this.

Also I believe the type of RAM I am using is important info so I pulled one out and took a pic:

I have 6 of these installed (yes, this motherboard actually has 6 memory slots) for a total of 24GB of RAM.

I cannot for the life of me, in this motherboard's BIOS, figure out how to overclock this CPU to 3.0ghz, let alone 4.2ghz like it used to run at. All the 3-d games ran at perfect speeds when it was at the 4 ghz mark on the old motherboard, so it would really mean a lot to me if someone could help me get it back to that speed again.

edit: grammar

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 29, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ugh I can't remember if overclocking the bclk was a thing still back then or not, but the cpu multiplier is of your bclk to reach the clock speed, so if you don't mess with your bclk it'd be 31-32 multiplier (times 133) on the cpu to get up to 4.2ghz.

Memory clock speed is important if you can't set it and the bclk at different frequencies. Hopefully, doesn't matter in your case.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was able to get an overclock of 4.0ghz by using someone else's exact settings, which were as follows:

code:
Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[[B]Manual[/B]]
CPU Ratio Setting......................[[B]21.0[/B]]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[[B]Disabled[/B]]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[[B]Enabled[/B]]
BCLK Frequency.........................[[B]181[/B]]
PCIE Frequency.........................[[B]100[/B]]
DRAM Frequency.........................[[B]DDR3-1451MHz[/B]]
UCLK Frequency.........................[[B]2903MHz[/B]]
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[[B]Auto[/B]]

CPU Voltage Control....................[[B]Manual[/B]]
CPU Voltage............................[[B]1.1825[/B]]
CPU PLL Voltage........................[[B]1.80[/B]]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[[B]1.22500[/B]]
IOH Voltage............................[[B]1.14[/B]]
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[[B]1.50[/B]]
ICH Voltage............................[[B]1.20[/B]]
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[[B]1.50[/B]]
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[[B]1.64[/B]]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA...........[[B]Auto[/B]]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA...........[[B]Auto[/B]]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB...........[[B]Auto[/B]]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB...........[[B]Auto[/B]]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC...........[[B]Auto[/B]]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC...........[[B]Auto[/B]]

Load-Line Calibration..................[[B]Enabled[/B]]
CPU Differential Amplitude.............[[B]800mV[/B]]
CPU Clock Skew.........................[[B]Delay 300ps[/B]]
CPU Spread Spectrum....................[[B]Disabled[/B]]
IOH Clock Skew.........................[[B]Auto[/B]]
PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[[B]Disabled[/B]]

C1E Support............................[[B]Disabled[/B]]
Hardware Prefetcher....................[[B]Enabled[/B]]
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch...........[[B]Enabled[/B]]
Intel(r) Virtualization Tech...........[[B]Disabled[/B]]
CPU TM Function........................[[B]Enabled[/B]]
Execute Disable Bit....................[[B]Enabled[/B]]
Intel(r) HT Technology.................[[B]Enabled[/B]]
Active Processor Cores.................[[B]All[/B]]
A20M...................................[[B]Disabled[/B]]
Intel(r) C-STATE Tech..................[[B]Disabled[/B]]
The only things I changed were BCLK to 193 and I upped the CPU voltage to 1.35V.

MK4 is now running full speed! I am going to let the game run overnight to see if it crashes or not. Since I'm guessing it's one of the more taxing games on the CPU, I am comfortable using this as a "test" instead of something like prime95.

The only thing I am worried about with the above settings is I have no idea if the settings for my RAM are correct because the person who posted it surely doesn't have the exact RAM as me, and I'm willing to bet did not have 24GB of it in 2010 when the post is from. Is there any way to find out exactly what my settings for my RAM should be?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 30, 2020

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Edit: Actually I'm not sure of what I just wrote.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 30, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

code:
C1E Support............................[[B]Disabled[/B]]
Intel(r) C-STATE Tech..................[[B]Disabled[/B]]

I would presume if once you settle on a speed that works and everything checks out, you should turn speedstep and c-states back on or the CPU will be blasting away at full speed all the time instead of clocking down to a modestly more energy efficient state (though it will be limited on energy savings given you are going to lock the voltage which is the more significant component of power consumption).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm surprised the bus clocks that high on the that era of i7 but I never really did much OC'ing on those.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

I'm surprised the bus clocks that high on the that era of i7 but I never really did much OC'ing on those.

I wouldn't be surprised if I am screwing something up; should I lower the bus clock or something?

Indiana_Krom posted:

I would presume if once you settle on a speed that works and everything checks out, you should turn speedstep and c-states back on or the CPU will be blasting away at full speed all the time instead of clocking down to a modestly more energy efficient state (though it will be limited on energy savings given you are going to lock the voltage which is the more significant component of power consumption).

Is the only benefit some modest energy savings? Normally I'd be all over that but it's a MAME cabinet; I turn it on maybe an hour a week.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if I am screwing something up; should I lower the bus clock or something?

If it works and especially if someone else suggested it it's probably fine. Just a heads up on later architectures you usually don't touch FSB at all but I just don't remember if that was common. If you are having stability problems that is probably where I'd say to start clocking down, but if your stability is fine then you're fine.

Is the only benefit some modest energy savings? Normally I'd be all over that but it's a MAME cabinet; I turn it on maybe an hour a week.

Energy savings, heat, and wear and tear. I'd agree to try to turn them on and see if things work fine. Those settings (especially on older archs) can sometimes cause stability problems, but if they don't it's all benefit especially for an OC'd system. Not a big deal for a Mame cabinet that gets turned off though, but still heat savings help.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

If it works and especially if someone else suggested it it's probably fine. Just a heads up on later architectures you usually don't touch FSB at all but I just don't remember if that was common. If you are having stability problems that is probably where I'd say to start clocking down, but if your stability is fine then you're fine.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but is FSB the BCLK?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sorry if it's a stupid question but is FSB the BCLK?

For overclocking terms yes. There is some distinction if you are talking about architecture that I'm probably violating.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lockback posted:

It was very common back in the olden days, and if you couldn't set memory speed different to your FSB you had to have fast memory, which is what I think Chumbawumba was faintly remembering. This BIOS has a different DRAM setting so it doesn't matter.

I'd turn on C-state stuff to see if it fucks anything up, and if it does just forget it since as you said your low use case means it doesn't make a big difference.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dogen posted:

It was very common back in the olden days, and if you couldn't set memory speed different to your FSB you had to have fast memory, which is what I think Chumbawumba was faintly remembering. This BIOS has a different DRAM setting so it doesn't matter.

I'd turn on C-state stuff to see if it fucks anything up, and if it does just forget it since as you said your low use case means it doesn't make a big difference.

Yeah, I used to do OCing on PIII and P4 days when the FSB was the only option, but I thought the i-series did away with that for the most part. I didn't do any OCing with Generation 1 of the core series so I was just surprised FSB OCing was so prevalent then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I used to do OCing on PIII and P4 days when the FSB was the only option, but I thought the i-series did away with that for the most part. I didn't do any OCing with Generation 1 of the core series so I was just surprised FSB OCing was so prevalent then.

You could do like a tiny amount in Sandy Bridge and then it totally died after that