Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

duz posted:

Depends on if they are restricting themselves to just the MCU or not. Like there's the 70s Dr Strange movie starring Jessica Walter or the '90 Captain America movie starring J.D. Salinger's son where the mask has fake ears on it.

Up until this moment almost no one in this thread knew those movies existed.

I will say the 90's Fantastic Four movie by Roger Corman isn't as bad as you would think a movie locked in a vault for 20 years would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Put it all the way in me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Up until this moment almost no one in this thread knew those movies existed.

I will say the 90's Fantastic Four movie by Roger Corman isn't as bad as you would think a movie locked in a vault for 20 years would be.

I knew about those when I was a kid: couldn't make it through Dr. Strange watched Captain America, and yes it is.

edit: I should probably point out that when I was a kid I spent more time watching tv and renting movies than going outside. Not much has changed.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 19, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

Sonic asks for "Please. 5 stars." Will we indulge him? Or is 3 (out of 10) the best I could possibly do?

Vegan alert:
-Longclaw talks about eating mice
-Sonic refers to mushrooms as gross and smelly
-Tom calls raccoons trash pandas and inquires about exterminating them
-Sonic in a cage
-Sonic has a dying fish on his head
-Ice fishing reference
-Milk
-Buffalo wings
-Latte with steamed Austrian goat milk
-Dr. Ivo wants to do animal testing on Sonic
-Olive Garden gift certificate

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

This is the other side of the coin from that Christian review site that counted blasphemies in every movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Imagine sitting through an entire movie and doing nothing but going through a painstakingly detailed process of listing everything you find objectionable about it for reasons like religion or dietary preferences all the while neither enjoying nor taking in anything about the movie beyond this.

Edit: Tag yourself. I'm Olive Garden gift certificate.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

Imagine sitting through an entire movie and doing nothing but going through a painstakingly detailed process of listing everything you find objectionable about it for reasons like religion or dietary preferences all the while neither enjoying nor taking in anything about the movie beyond this.

Edit: Tag yourself. I'm Olive Garden gift certificate.

I’m the dying fish on Sonic’s head

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
despite all my rage i am still just

Pollyanna posted:

-Sonic in a cage

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the major reason for the change in style was because that was easier and therefore cheaper to animate.
Yeah the designs became more streamlined so that the animation wasn't as intensive and the "look" was more unified. Look at S1 Joker vs the revised Superman/Batman version.
There's also that rumor that BTAS backgrounds were made on like black paper or whatever...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you’re going to watch any one MCU movie, make it Iron Man 3 because that one actually feels like a singular person wrote parts of it, although you can still tell exactly which bits were re-written by committee. .
Gonna have to find my post in the Comic Movies thread about some stuff they cut from a rough draft...

there we go. The Mandarin had quite the different ending....

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 19, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah the designs became more streamlined so that the animation wasn't as intensive and the "look" was more unified. Look at S1 Joker vs the revised Superman/Batman version.
There's also that rumor that BTAS backgrounds were made on like black paper or whatever...

Yeah, pre-WB Joker looks way better and aside from his void eyes they got rid of the lipstick which makes a big difference. They kinda fixed this for his appearence in the Justice League show and the Batman Beyond movie but I still prefer the original TAS look because it's more colorful and represents the clown personality better. In this incarnation he just looks more like a monster, which is know is how he is presented in most media after a certain point but I think that characterization is really dull. The character is at its best when he's an evil clown with a twisted but goofy sense of humor. Sometimes his elaborate schemes just turn out to be the set up for a harmless pratical joke. The last Joker look doesn't give you that impression. These are the three versions of the TAS/Mark Hamill Joker:

It's obvious which is these is the best. The middle one is the worst by far and the third one just doesn't pop like the original one does. It's like they forgot that he's supposed to be the foil visually as well as for all the other reasons. The muted colors are a bad choice.

And I don't know about the later episodes, but they really did draw it on black paper. It gave the show a darker look and it saved them money on having to color everything because the show primarily takes place at night. One of the DVD sets had a special feature where some of the creators talked about this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TAS still has basically the best characterization for every Batman villain since every version since then has just been making them all mass murderers.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

duz posted:

Depends on if they are restricting themselves to just the MCU or not. Like there's the 70s Dr Strange movie starring Jessica Walter or the '90 Captain America movie starring J.D. Salinger's son where the mask has fake ears on it.

I would watch that weird low budget captain America movie from the 90s but the red skull terrified me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Remember_Sarah/status/1229581309917442048?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

therattle posted:

I quite enjoyed Ragnarok. Does that make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Not at all. It's funny in a way that's not just quipping,so it has some personality. However I find it so unengaging whenever they're dealing with Asgard and Cate Blanchette.

I do think that CAPTAIN MARVEL is one of the worst movies they've done. Larson and Jackson go well together but that movie feels like a mess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Not at all. It's funny in a way that's not just quipping,so it has some personality. However I find it so unengaging whenever they're dealing with Asgard and Cate Blanchette.

I do think that CAPTAIN MARVEL is one of the worst movies they've done. Larson and Jackson go well together but that movie feels like a mess.

Yeah, honestly, I'd really like just a fairly standard buddy cop film with Larson and Jackson.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ragnarok is the only Taika Waititi film he doesn't have a writing credit on, which is consistent with my theory that he's a talented director who's never written anything funny in his life.

He only manages to overcome the inherent deficit of "it's still an MCU film" in the Escape From Planet Goldblum-based second act, and it turns back into flavorless mush afterwards. But it's unfair to hold that against him -- if he'd had any more of an actual vision they probably would have fired him.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Roth posted:

TAS still has basically the best characterization for every Batman villain since every version since then has just been making them all mass murderers.

The depth given to the villains in that show is probably the series is so memorable. Mr. Freeze's backstory wasn't originally part of the comic books. In the books he was basically a c-list gimmick villain (that and Harley Quinn are the two best known things carried over into the comic books from the tv show). A bunch of them are just these tragic figures and then you have a bunch of one offs like the episode where Bruce Wayne gets trafficked and ends up in a forced labor camp or the one where Roland Daggett wants to gentrify a poor neighborhood and displace its residents with his thugs committing arson. The themes of the show have a greater complexity to them than was typical of kids shows of the era (and probably to this day for the most part). Occasionally the morality of Batman and his crusade against crime is questioned. Clayface's arc over the course of the series leaves some serious doubt about what Batman does and you could even say outright that he's directly responsible of Clayface's downfall and turning to crime. There's also the episode with the one off villain Lock Up (who I'm thinking was probably a stand in for the Electrocutioner which they couldn't use for obvious reasons) who's a violent fascist. He assumes Batman is on his side at first and even when made clear that he's not it brings up the question again. A lot of episodes in this show were based on a bunch of the best of the classic stories from the comic books as well as being written by a who's who of creators who worked on the book in the 70s-90s. This was not another one of those shows they made just to sell toys, this was something special. You could talk endlessly about all the things Batman The Animated Series got right and I'm sure it's always going to be considered a highwater mark for cartoons.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ragnarok is the only Taika Waititi film he doesn't have a writing credit on, which is consistent with my theory that he's a talented director who's never written anything funny in his life.

How can you not find even a little bit of joy in What We Do in the Shadows?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He only manages to overcome the inherent deficit of "it's still an MCU film" in the Escape From Planet Goldblum-based second act, and it turns back into flavorless mush afterwards. But it's unfair to hold that against him -- if he'd had any more of an actual vision they probably would have fired him.

Have you seen Jojo Rabbit?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
More like "So-so Rabbit", amirite???

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axelblaze posted:

More like "So-so Rabbit", amirite???

No. :argh:

That was admittedly quite funny. BUT NOT AS FUNNY AS TAIKA WAITITI. Huh, apparently his real name is Taika David Cohen.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

therattle posted:

No. :argh:

That was admittedly quite funny. BUT NOT AS FUNNY AS TAIKA WAITITI. Huh, apparently his real name is Taika David Cohen.

That's like a reverse Oscar Isaac Hernandez Estrada.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

That's like a reverse Oscar Isaac Hernandez Estrada.

So it is! I didn't know that about him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

How can you not find even a little bit of joy in What We Do in the Shadows?

What We Do in the Shadows is exactly what gave me such a hostile impression, the movie's loving miserable. It reminded me a lot of Peep Show, which has that exact same "cringe at horrible people being socially awkward, this is supposed to be entertaining somehow" energy.

Ragnarok convinced me I might've been a little unfair, and while I haven't watched Jojo Rabbit yet I did spoil myself on the changes he made from the book it's adapted from; they do not inspire me to give him a second chance.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I thought Hunt for the Wilderpeople was pretty charming and funny.

I have zero desire to see Jojo Rabbit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Boy is super good. And it's on Canopy.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
for a lot of hype over 1917 I was a bit underwhelmed up until the final 20 minutes, where the whole buzz about gripping tension made sense, but up until then it really felt.. I dunno, engineered? like when in open world games they have characters talk when riding to the mission they make characters talk to fill in dead air? that's how it felt tbh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Winter/status/1230147083237068800?s=20

There's a thread full of BTS pics

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jojo Rabbit is good and you’re only hurting yourself by not watching it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

It's obvious which is these is the best. The middle one is the worst by far and the third one just doesn't pop like the original one does. It's like they forgot that he's supposed to be the foil visually as well as for all the other reasons. The muted colors are a bad choice.
I prefer this version:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Mr. Freeze stuff REALLY clicks into place when you realize he's a Mike Mignola design.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What We Do in the Shadows is exactly what gave me such a hostile impression, the movie's loving miserable. It reminded me a lot of Peep Show, which has that exact same "cringe at horrible people being socially awkward, this is supposed to be entertaining somehow" energy.

The show is much much better! The film is OK, but the biggest sin is that it's neither particularly funny, nor particularly scary. I have the same reaction to it that a lot of people have to Computer Chess.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ogmius815 posted:

Jojo Rabbit is good and you’re only hurting yourself by not watching it.

Quoting for emphasis

Honest Thief posted:

for a lot of hype over 1917 I was a bit underwhelmed up until the final 20 minutes, where the whole buzz about gripping tension made sense, but up until then it really felt.. I dunno, engineered? like when in open world games they have characters talk when riding to the mission they make characters talk to fill in dead air? that's how it felt tbh

Yah, I wrote that in the 1917 thread, except I didn't feel anything, not even in the last 20 minutes. The film barely made me feel a drat thing apart from one or two visceral scares near the beginning.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ragnarok convinced me I might've been a little unfair, and while I haven't watched Jojo Rabbit yet I did spoil myself on the changes he made from the book it's adapted from; they do not inspire me to give him a second chance.

I mean no offense but it seems like you watched exactly two of his movies -- one he had a writing credit for and one he didn't -- and decided the one that he didn't was better and therefor he was not a good writer

Personal anecdote but Jojo was good and well written and tho I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople I've heard good things and it might be good to check one of those out before deciding he's "never written anything funny in his life"

EDIT: also while he didn't have a writing credit on Thor, I have to imagine he had to have at least ad-libbed some of the dialogue for his character, so the dude seems pretty funny IMO

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean no offense but it seems like you watched exactly two of his movies -- one he had a writing credit for and one he didn't -- and decided the one that he didn't was better and therefor he was not a good writer

Personal anecdote but Jojo was good and well written and tho I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople I've heard good things and it might be good to check one of those out before deciding he's "never written anything funny in his life"

EDIT: also while he didn't have a writing credit on Thor, I have to imagine he had to have at least ad-libbed some of the dialogue for his character, so the dude seems pretty funny IMO

I've also seen a few episodes of Flight of the Concords, and he did script work on Moana even if he's not credited on the final version.

More to the point, life's too short to distrust your heuristics. I'm hurting for time to watch movies, not movies to watch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
He only directed 4 episodes for the Flight of the Conchords show. James Bobin did the majority. Michel Gondry directed the episode with Jemaines Australian girlfriend, which I did not know.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

And like, obviously watch whatever you want but I think there's a pretty clear distinction between "from what I've seen I'm not interesting in any more of this persons work" and "I'm convinced this person has never written anything funny in his life" and I was arguing against the latter rather than the former

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Does the UK just exist to make US immigration seem sane and reasonable by comparison?

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1229898059104034821?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MacheteZombie posted:

I thought Hunt for the Wilderpeople was pretty charming and funny.

I have zero desire to see Jojo Rabbit.

You should watch Jojo Rabbit, if only to see Archie Yates steal every scene he's in. Yorki is a fuckin' legend.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Skwirl posted:

Does the UK just exist to make US immigration seem sane and reasonable by comparison?

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1229898059104034821?s=20

I am positive that if Trump stays in office a near copy/paste of this plan will go into effect for the US almost immediately after the 2020 election. Stephen Miller is probably already drafting the paperwork only taking breaks to replenish the supply of human blood he needs for sustenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What We Do in the Shadows is good, Hunt for the Wilderpeople is great, Thor Ragnarok is pretty good, but sadly Jojo Rabbit is very very bad.