Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

silvergoose posted:

wait what bridges were you supposedly burning

just...not staying there forever?

"Don't tell people why you're leaving."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Had a phone technical interview recently and I solved the coding question in less than 10 minutes. Only used half an hour total of the 1 hour allotted time including my questions and was immediately passed on to the final in person interview. Hope that goes just as well but feels pretty good to actually destroy an interview question. Last place I talked to on the phone asked for some links to my current work and then turned me down for another interview lol

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

"rare stallion" company turned me down, guess I'm not so rare after all

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

That's why you get the stud fee up front

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
interview poo poo is wack as gently caress I think I’ve determined. im 100% sure that your actual skill doesn’t really matter only that you hit some certain threshold (which is way lower than you would think) and it’s really about the friends you made along the way (hopefully you made some that are achievers)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I got my current job with no in or recruiter off a job posting from indeed, but I'm also a cishet white dude; ymmv

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I'd been told to make up a realistic sounding first experience and be eloquent instead of all the goddamn bullshit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

barkbell posted:

interview poo poo is wack as gently caress I think I’ve determined. im 100% sure that your actual skill doesn’t really matter only that you hit some certain threshold (which is way lower than you would think) and it’s really about the friends you made along the way (hopefully you made some that are achievers)

It's super random, the people doing the interview might be dipshits, the job posting might not reflect what they say they want, what they say they want might not actually be what they want, and no one involved in the process knows how to measure any of the things they think they want to measure.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

actually this might be the perfect thread to ask from the other side

if I'm interviewing more experienced (like 30 years to my dozen) people for an architect position and I've got half an hour

I can't really do a complicated coding question in that time and those are poo poo anyway

what kinds of things would y'all ask? or on the flip side, what kinds of questions would let you properly show how awesome you are?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 19, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I listened to a podcast the other day about noted rear end in a top hat sc justice Scalia giving a talk at a second tier law college. Someone asked him what they needed to do to succeed beyond just good grades, he was like " I would never hire you, I only hire from the best colleges, not because they are good but because they are hard to get into, and you didn't manage it. " Then he continues without missing a beat " let me tell you about the best clerk I ever had. he wasn't actually my clerk, I was borrowing him from a colleague, I would never have hired him because he went to [another tier 2 college] " (everyone laughs ???) " But he was really good, so you know what if you work hard you could be to (I still won't hire you though) ".

Scalia was an rear end in a top hat but not an idiot, hes probably smarter than whoever is trying to hire you, so I try not to feel bad when I get rejected because it's likely as not completely arbitrary

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

went and made a pitch today to sell the company I started. I feel like I whiffed it a little because I got a little too in the weeds for the venue (ceo and VP). I had just been talking to the operations Director who is much closer to things and was easier to talk shop with.

I guess I hope the director pulls for me and they get what I was talking about and how it can work for their company.

had exactly the reverse experience pitching my company the other week, i came in expecting to have to explain stuff in a very basic way, but they blindsided me by immediately laying out their internal effort to build something very similar to what i offered (the link being that the thing i'm offering is a pretty radical improvement on something i built five years ago, and the company i met with have ended up owning that version through an acquisition). the end result being that they are trying to hire me onto their project instead, so i am in a bit of a bind since that was not my plan at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

It's super random, the people doing the interview might be dipshits, the job posting might not reflect what they say they want, what they say they want might not actually be what they want, and no one involved in the process knows how to measure any of the things they think they want to measure.
my last interview seemed stupid easy to me but apparently had a kinda low pass rate? open a few code files in notepad, implement an interface with a couple of requirements, check this other file for 5 errors, stuff like that. is that something anyone who writes code all day would struggle with? it seemed trivial to me. maybe some people just get massive panic and brain fart when their ide and autocomplete get taken away. i don’t think it’s a fair test of productivity or really anything relevant though

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

silvergoose posted:

actually this might be the perfect thread to ask from the other side

if I'm interviewing more experienced (like 30 years to my dozen) people for an architect position and I've got half an hour

I can't really do a complicated coding question in that time and those are poo poo anyway

what kinds of things would y'all ask? or on the flip side, what kinds of questions would let you properly show how awesome you are?

If you're interviewing someone who knows more than you do and their job is ostensibly going to be to explain poo poo to you and the rest of folks, find questions that looks into how they like explaining things. Pick a thing you know something about and something you know little about, and see what they can explain to you. I haven't tried it often, but it has saved me and my employer at the time when we hired an expert into some specific tech and it turns out the guy hated having to answer simple questions and just wanted to be left alone to do his thing, never understood that we were checking for how he explained things despite us saying we knew nothing of the topic at hand (we knew a little but not much), and eventually stormed off the interview and sent insult emails to the recruiters after the fact for having lost his time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that does sound like a good technique for dodging some major bullets yeah

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MononcQc posted:

If you're interviewing someone who knows more than you do and their job is ostensibly going to be to explain poo poo to you and the rest of folks, find questions that looks into how they like explaining things. Pick a thing you know something about and something you know little about, and see what they can explain to you. I haven't tried it often, but it has saved me and my employer at the time when we hired an expert into some specific tech and it turns out the guy hated having to answer simple questions and just wanted to be left alone to do his thing, never understood that we were checking for how he explained things despite us saying we knew nothing of the topic at hand (we knew a little but not much), and eventually stormed off the interview and sent insult emails to the recruiters after the fact for having lost his time.

Cool, kinda what I am doing but that breaks it down into really concrete terms, thanks!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Next time I do a live coding exercise in an interview, I'm going to do it like I do my everyday job; that is, I'm gonna spend an hour reading Twitter and shitposting, leave to take a poo poo, and come back with just enough time to go, "Where was I?"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i recommend everybody do whiteboard interviews in Python because it has functions in the stdlib that make most solutions one-liners

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

i recommend everybody do whiteboard interviews in Python because it has functions in the stdlib that make most solutions one-liners

if you want to play golf go into sales

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
more generally it maps pretty cleanly onto the kind of dog and pony tricks they want to see/test in the interview.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Corla Plankun posted:

The time I did this for a non-Python shop I solved the problem in like fifteen minutes, ten of it asking questions to clarify the problem, and the interviewer just grumpily said "Well you got a working solution but I don't know Python".

Still better than the time a C# place encouraged me to apply even after I told them I had never used and didn't know C#, because they "look for talent and attitude, not specific language skills". They bounced me and when I asked for feedback they said the solution and code structure was good but it would have been simpler to use some Linq feature I'd never heard of so it wasn't good enough.

Ah, interviewing.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Still better than the time a C# place encouraged me to apply even after I told them I had never used and didn't know C#, because they "look for talent and attitude, not specific language skills". They bounced me and when I asked for feedback they said the solution and code structure was good but it would have been simpler to use some Linq feature I'd never heard of so it wasn't good enough.

Ah, interviewing.

so they had a whole programming assignment centered around 'heh, bet they dont know about this feature'

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

The time I did this for a non-Python shop I solved the problem in like fifteen minutes, ten of it asking questions to clarify the problem, and the interviewer just grumpily said "Well you got a working solution but I don't know Python".

Ah, interviewing.

Lmao I fukken hate nerds and I hate tech now
Depending on touching computers for my livelihood makes me want to be dead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nerds love to hoard trivia and lord it over everyone else

saying "i don't know" is a weakness to them

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's because saying it gets you slimed, OP

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

CPColin posted:

It's because saying it gets you slimed, OP

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

carry on then posted:

nerds love to hoard trivia and lord it over everyone else

saying "i don't know" is a weakness to them

suddenly the "aes sedai hoard personal tricks" plot from wheel of time makes perfect sense

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

starting feeler interviews to get back into the swing again

first place that called pays 50% more than I currently make lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Good thread

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

One place I interviewed for I was extremely clear right from the start that I didn't have java industry experience, and yeah they were also like "doesn't matter, a programmer is a programmer, we want someone who has good general engineering ability". I ended up getting to the on site and got rejected, the feedback was "the team really enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your successes in your current role, but that they are looking for someone with more java experience". Thanks for wasting my time I guess?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

One place I interviewed for I was extremely clear right from the start that I didn't have java industry experience, and yeah they were also like "doesn't matter, a programmer is a programmer, we want someone who has good general engineering ability". I ended up getting to the on site and got rejected, the feedback was "the team really enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your successes in your current role, but that they are looking for someone with more java experience". Thanks for wasting my time I guess?

you can do very well in assuming recruiters speak the truth about the address of the company, sometimes the name of the company, and the time you have to show up for the interview, and maybe the dress code. thats it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can do very well in assuming recruiters speak the truth about the address of the company, sometimes the name of the company, and the time you have to show up for the interview, and maybe the dress code. thats it

That was the hiring manager who said that to me, in person over a coffee

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

qhat posted:

That was the hiring manager who said that to me, in person over a coffee

Turns out they're not really particularly competent either

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

well after the last batch of interviews went south during the last round for totally asinine reasons it looks like the next wave is coming in.

* first is with one of the competitors that turned me down because i didn't know spring batch when i was interviewing for a sales engineer role for a nosql company. this position is for a 'technical product marketing manager' role which tbh sounds kind of interesting and could be a pretty lucrative/high-profile gig considering that the company is hitting liftoff velocity.
* second is with a local consulting company that needs someone with my very specific skill set. they just sent me an introductory email saying that the first automated screening would be coming shortly- and that i'd need a webcam to take it. lol nope. nooooope
* third is with one of our customers who's right down the road for me and whom i'm personally friends with many people on the inside. my friend who's submitting my resume works directly for the cto so that could be a pretty good gig too
* forth is with one of my ex-customers who wants me to be a product owner of sorts where i would start in an individual role and bring additional resources in as my product/project grows. it wouldn't specifically be in my specialty though and they reached out to me just because they liked my gumption while i was there. also very interesting

let's see what happens! all four of these are extremely different roles so this is gonna be interesting

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

getting pretty loving tired of genuflecting before executives

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

on your first day of work you should always fight the biggest exec you can find. show them you aren’t a pussy.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I think I've almost reached silver status on star alliance thanks to accepting random interviews and making it to onsites. That's the only good thing about interviewing I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

I think I've almost reached silver status on star alliance thanks to accepting random interviews and making it to onsites. That's the only good thing about interviewing I think.

lol united

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

at least you're good until they smash your head into an armrest and drag you off the plane by your feet

srs question though - is there a non-poo poo airline at this point?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

delta and American are miles ahead of united if we’re talking big US domestic airlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Alaska is ok but their hq is where I live so there's lots of decent flights. ymmv