Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So Pujie Black keeps losing its connection to my fit account. I'll go into settings and re-set up the connection and it goes back to working, and then at some point later, it suddenly stops. I'm still testing to figure out what exactly triggers it, but anyone experienced similar behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

So Pujie Black keeps losing its connection to my fit account. I'll go into settings and re-set up the connection and it goes back to working, and then at some point later, it suddenly stops. I'm still testing to figure out what exactly triggers it, but anyone experienced similar behavior?

I don't use Fit but is there a way to make sure Fit isn't being killed by battery optimization? That'd be my first step.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Good thinking. I removed fit from optimization on my phone, I'll see if that helps.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hey Gen 5 folks, has anyone bought any of the spare chargers Amazon sells? I want a second charger but the comments on the products sound fairly hit or miss

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife was complaining her fossil wear os stopped giving her notifications

She had turned off Bluetooth on her phone :psyduck:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Not strictly Wear OS, but wearable and Android...

I bought a Galaxy Fit, and I was wondering if there were any longer/larger bands available, either direct from Samsung or 3rd party.

This is a recurring issue with any wearable for me, as my wrists are ~10in in circumference, so almost no stock bands fit well.

The Galaxy Fit does, technically, fit (lol) but is very snug; I feel it when I flex my wrist or fingers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It needs to be quite snug for the sensors to work properly.

Another option might be to look at a Watch Active - it uses normal 20mm bands so there should be tonnes of options.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

dissss posted:

It needs to be quite snug for the sensors to work properly.

Another option might be to look at a Watch Active - it uses normal 20mm bands so there should be tonnes of options.

The Watch Active is $180, and the Watch Active2 is $250.

The Galaxy Fit was $70 after tax :v:

But I appreciate the suggestion.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Does anyone else use OurGroceries with wear OS? Mine stopped syncing sometime in the last few weeks. Well, sort of. It actually syncs, but to an old version of my data. Even uninstalling and reinstalling goes back to the stale data.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Does anyone else use OurGroceries with wear OS? Mine stopped syncing sometime in the last few weeks. Well, sort of. It actually syncs, but to an old version of my data. Even uninstalling and reinstalling goes back to the stale data.

I use it often and it's working fine for me. Just verified that it's current and syncs immediately. Is anyone else sharing the data? How about the web, is it in sync as well?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife was complaining her fossil wear os stopped giving her notifications

She had turned off Bluetooth on her phone :psyduck:

I know there is a bug that prevents vibrations and sound notifications if you have "DnD when off wrists" enabled. Is that maybe causing her issue?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I know there is a bug that prevents vibrations and sound notifications if you have "DnD when off wrists" enabled. Is that maybe causing her issue?

I think the OP posted the problem which was OP's wife turning off Bluetooth and severing the connection to the phone.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I use it often and it's working fine for me. Just verified that it's current and syncs immediately. Is anyone else sharing the data? How about the web, is it in sync as well?

Yeah, web is correctly synced, and so is my wife's phone. Only my watch isn't getting current data.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Yeah, web is correctly synced, and so is my wife's phone. Only my watch isn't getting current data.

I looked at the phone app and it says that Wear OS is a premium feature. I know when I upgraded my phone recently, the transfer didn't give me premium right away and I had to download the Premium Key from the Play Store. Is it possible your phone app needs premium reauthorized?

Assuming that's not the problem let me walk through this. Everything is synced and you open the app on your watch and it comes up with old data. If you update that data, like say you cross something off, does the old data then sync back to the phone, web, and your wife and destroy the new data? Or does the watch just get further and further from the canonical dataset?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I think the OP posted the problem which was OP's wife turning off Bluetooth and severing the connection to the phone.

You are correct. I am an idiot.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I looked at the phone app and it says that Wear OS is a premium feature. I know when I upgraded my phone recently, the transfer didn't give me premium right away and I had to download the Premium Key from the Play Store. Is it possible your phone app needs premium reauthorized?

Assuming that's not the problem let me walk through this. Everything is synced and you open the app on your watch and it comes up with old data. If you update that data, like say you cross something off, does the old data then sync back to the phone, web, and your wife and destroy the new data? Or does the watch just get further and further from the canonical dataset?
Thanks to OurGroceries support, I found and fixed the issue. I'd never cleared the crossed through items, and over the years they accumulated past the point where Wear OS refused to send a message that large. Deleting old items fixed it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Thanks to OurGroceries support, I found and fixed the issue. I'd never cleared the crossed through items, and over the years they accumulated past the point where Wear OS refused to send a message that large. Deleting old items fixed it.

There's a limit to the number of items a list can have? Did OurGroceries share what that limit is?

I've never cleared crossed off items because the only things I want to add to my list are items I've used before and the easiest way to add stuff to the list is to uncross off things I've bought in the past.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've got a Fossil Sport Heartrate smartwatch. I just wanted something that can download podcasts and listen to them without a phone and this is doing the job so far. Small issue I've run into is that using PlayerFM to send podcasts to Wear Casts only gives me twenty at a time and I think you have to subscribe monthly to get premium access. Does anyone know any apps that work and give you the full library for free?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

There's a limit to the number of items a list can have? Did OurGroceries share what that limit is?

Not a limit on items. A limit on the maximum size message that Wear OS will send from phone to watch. So the actual number of items will vary with their size. Regardless, I used OurGroceries for at least 8 years without running into this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Weird issue:

I dug my old LG Urbane out of the drawer and charged it up overnight.

It connects to my phone with Bluetooth just fine, but the WearOS app is a different story. The phone just sits on the "Looking for devices" screen and the Watch never shows up.

Any ideas?

E: I had to reset the watch and re-pair it.

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 2, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The weirdest thing. My Huawei watch 2 stopped responding to some touch inputs, I was worried because I had hit it off something. Buttons worked fine, I could input my pin, but couldn't move anything menus or anything. Had to let it die as couldn't find a way to restart. Anyway, after that and recharging it it's fine again now. Strangest of all is that it seemed blazing fast reacting to the physical buttons during that spurt

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If it happens again, holding physical button for like 20-30 seconds should be the force restart shortcut

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Facerepo is gone apparently? Does anyone know a good place to get faces?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Len posted:

Facerepo is gone apparently? Does anyone know a good place to get faces?

It may depend on the face app, now. Most of the Pujie Black faces are on their cloud store thing, which is a couple bucks a year or something.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fossil is doing spring clearance, 30% off pretty much anything as long as it's in stock.

Try code SITEWIDE30 or failing that, SHOP30 on the fossil.com site and even their affiliated brands like the skagen.com site.

Brings a Skagen Falster 3 from $295 to $206.50

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How were those new hybrid watches? I had a Ticwatch a couple years ago and while it was nice, a full smart watch wasn't for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I run my watch always on because it's a watch and gently caress having to press a button when I wanna see the time. I turn off the screen at night on the odd nights I'm not charging, and suddenly now it's asking me to confirm "theater mode" when I try to do it. Lame

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I run my watch always on because it's a watch and gently caress having to press a button when I wanna see the time. I turn off the screen at night on the odd nights I'm not charging, and suddenly now it's asking me to confirm "theater mode" when I try to do it. Lame

I didn't know it ever didn't ask for confirmation before turning on theater mode. I'm pretty sure it's always done that for me on every Wear OS watch I've used going back to the old, original 1.x software.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

codo27 posted:

What watch? Mine (Fossil Gen 5) has always asked for confirmation before turning on theatre mode too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Huawei watch 2

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone know if there's a way to add line breaks to custom text in custom faces in "minimal and elegant"?

e: nevermind. The developer replied to me that no, there is not. Oh well.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 17, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well, getting the prompt to confirm theater mode lasted a whole week

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why are the Misfit watches $70? Are they garbage? Out of p roduction fire sale?

https://www.misfit.com/smartwatches/misfit-vapor-2/

Edit: It's because the X came out. Is there a big enough difference between the 2 and the X to be worth the new one?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 26, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The X uses the 3100 while the 2 uses the 2100, not that there's THAT much of a difference between the processors, but the multiple battery modes are finally starting to show up for the 3100 which can make a difference depending on use case.

The real killer is both of them only have 512mb of ram and WearOS really only becomes decently responsive at 1gb.

So, as a roundabout way of answering your question, no, the X is not worth $150 more in so far as no WearOS device with less than 1gb of ram is worth more than $100. $70 is fine for the Vapor 2 as the differences between 2100 and 3100 really aren't that important.

The important thing to remember is the vast majority of the WearOS devices out there are made by Fossil Group just with a different case and slight software tweaks between them.

512mb RAM pay less than $100 for it. There are a bunch of ones that can be had in this range (Vapor 2, Fossil Sport.)

1gb of RAM pay less than $200 for it. The Gen 5 can regularly be had between $160 and $180 after discounts. The value proposition is a bit dubious here, but it's not horrible.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Downloaded this nice watch face literally called Pixel Watch Face (its unofficial) last week, its been pretty good. No health info but you get big, easy to see numbers for the time, battery percentage, date & weather. You can also opt in to getting the WearOS logo but even the staunchest of fanboys probably dont want to tote that out too much. Actually seems more responsive than the Pear face I was using before.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Downloaded this nice watch face literally called Pixel Watch Face (its unofficial) last week, its been pretty good. No health info but you get big, easy to see numbers for the time, battery percentage, date & weather. You can also opt in to getting the WearOS logo but even the staunchest of fanboys probably dont want to tote that out too much. Actually seems more responsive than the Pear face I was using before.

How can a watch face seem responsive? It's either accurate or it isn't.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Obviously not the face itself. General watch function

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So my cap is $150, and I need a smartwatch that will primarily be used for heart rate monitoring and health/fitness tracking, with GPS, messaging, apps, etc being secondary. I'm also open to non-Google products such as Fitbit or Garmin if those offer superior heart/health tracking.

As a side note, how are all these "smartwatches" that Amazon has for $30? I assume they die within a week and explode on your wrist after giving you cancer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Are any of the newer Wear devices uh, on the smaller side? I have really thin and tiny wrists. I've had the smaller ZenWatch 2 (1.45")for a couple years now and I like it a bunch, still works fine and lasts quite a while on a charge, but I'll eventually need to replace it and something that fits similarly instead of looking really huge on me would be preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think the smallest one right now is the Skagen Falster 3?