Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

To be fair the Librarians would occasionally bug out and just murder you for doing nothing.

I think the ones that are sleeping will always attack if you wake them but I always had them back off as long as you do the stare down/back off thing. I’ve had other bugs apparently but exclusive to me though so I can see that happening.

RBA Starblade posted:

My first time through the library I gave up sneaking and just hauled rear end in random directions and luckily made it before any of them could actually maul me

If you didn’t know already you don’t sneak by the ones that are already plodding around. They’ll see you, approach, and if you do the stare down they should back off for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

If you didn’t know already you don’t sneak by the ones that are already plodding around. They’ll see you, approach, and if you do the stare down they should back off for a bit.

That mostly got me mauled when I first tried it

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been playing through Exodus on Game Pass but I actually don't like it being open world. I preferred the linear style or smaller tighter level in that one LL dlc. It feels kind of aimless most of the time.

The desert in particular is unfun, I was ok with the rest of it but yeah I feel like Metro is at its best stomping through atmospheric tunnel settings and occasionally going outside.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

That mostly got me mauled when I first tried it

I don’t know if it’s actually part of the process but I always moved backward slightly when they growl as well.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Dogen posted:

The desert in particular is unfun, I was ok with the rest of it but yeah I feel like Metro is at its best stomping through atmospheric tunnel settings and occasionally going outside.

I found the Desert pretty great in combination with the other levels in particular.

I think the direction Metro took from 2033 over LL to Exodus was just right overall and I found every game improved over the last one in a way.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Huh, I had no idea that was a mechanic! I figured I was supposed to sneak past the sleeping ones, but my first encounter with a librarian went like this: I walked in on one just standing in the room (this was immediately after the group told me to go ahead alone, so it may've been a scripted encounter). It was unclear to me that librarians were a monster type at the time, I thought it might've been a name for one mutated guy who ran the library, so I chilled out and watched it in case it talked to me or something. It puttered around for a bit, but then it charged me and took a swing at my guy, so I shrugged, went "Guess it's hostile," and hosed it down with bullets. After that, yeah, I just kinda sprint-shot my way through the level.

But yeah- if you can consistently avoid combat with the librarians I see how that area would be less infuriating, and I could even kinda-sorta see how the amoeba level would be fine (how do you do that one- hang back, let your buddy tank the explosions so you can see where the nests are, then snipe them from afar?) But holy poo poo that trolley level; I was invincible, so it was fine, but it was still maybe the jankiest thing I've done since deadly premonition's driving.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haldolium posted:

I found the Desert pretty great in combination with the other levels in particular.

I think the direction Metro took from 2033 over LL to Exodus was just right overall and I found every game improved over the last one in a way.

Agreed. I really liked how the open world stuff was bookended with linear stuff in Exodus. Never felt like I was doing the same thing for too long and each of the large areas is designed pretty differently.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, I had no idea that was a mechanic! I figured I was supposed to sneak past the sleeping ones, but my first encounter with a librarian went like this: I walked in on one just standing in the room (this was immediately after the group told me to go ahead alone, so it may've been a scripted encounter). It was unclear to me that librarians were a monster type at the time, I thought it might've been a name for one mutated guy who ran the library, so I chilled out and watched it in case it talked to me or something. It puttered around for a bit, but then it charged me and took a swing at my guy, so I shrugged, went "Guess it's hostile," and hosed it down with bullets. After that, yeah, I just kinda sprint-shot my way through the level.

But yeah- if you can consistently avoid combat with the librarians I see how that area would be less infuriating, and I could even kinda-sorta see how the amoeba level would be fine (how do you do that one- hang back, let your buddy tank the explosions so you can see where the nests are, then snipe them from afar?) But holy poo poo that trolley level; I was invincible, so it was fine, but it was still maybe the jankiest thing I've done since deadly premonition's driving.

I think the librarian one was explained in game. I've just completely blanked the amoeba and the trolley ones, so they must have been bad

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
The dude telling you to stare at the librarians is before you see them and is easy to forget about or miss him saying it, Turret section is basically just learning the spawn locations and shooting as dudes pop up, and the amoeba encounter is did you save enough resources/do you have enough gold ammo to shoot to kill things before it overwhelms the guy you are hiding behind.

The combination of the interesting story from the book and novel mechanics were luckily enough to get people to see past the jank and turn the Metro into this amazing series, I love it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I won’t even attempt to justify the amoeba minefield. That poo poo suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Edit: The only reason I got past it the first time I played it is because a loading screen eventually took pity on me and told me I could kill the nests.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sphrin posted:

The dude telling you to stare at the librarians is before you see them and is easy to forget about or miss him saying it, Turret section is basically just learning the spawn locations and shooting as dudes pop up, and the amoeba encounter is did you save enough resources/do you have enough gold ammo to shoot to kill things before it overwhelms the guy you are hiding behind.

The combination of the interesting story from the book and novel mechanics were luckily enough to get people to see past the jank and turn the Metro into this amazing series, I love it.

Holy crap, I must've been really checked out to forget that... was this an NPC conversation at one of the stations? Because yeah, the first (and only) time I remember NPCs mentioning librarians was in the library, when one goes hauling rear end out of the entryway and your whole team goes "Oh poo poo, librarian".

But yeah, good lord- weirdly enough I think the amoeba bit was harder than the trolley, but I didn't mind it as much. But that trolley section, yeesh... I've come to think of the non-redux 2033 as a really, really rad adventure game with an unfortunately half-baked shooting minigame that pops up from time to time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Huh weird I didn’t have a problem with the amoebas.

The rail car section sucks though. Partly learning from repetition and honestly some luck I think.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
They were a real slog for me the first time I played, lack of ammo and healing meant if I was in front I died quickly but if I was in back my companion died until I figured out all the spawners locations sprinted ahead to kill them then ran back and got assistance to kill the stuff that spawned.

As someone else said the whole tower climb in 2033 is just an amazing experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah that is how you do a loving video game tower climb.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When people say the rail car section so they mean the turret part escaping the Nazis or the mutant nest with the passenger car section? Or both? Or are those the same thing, it’s been a while.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I was thinking of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4IrVs9i4es&t=264s , which combines a) really deadly combat, b) a turret section, and c) absurdly slow and clunky controls with d) at least on my system, really brutal slowdown. I dunno what it is, 'cause I can run modern games fine, but most of that section (and a lot of the other gunfights) jerked by at 10-15fps. (As frustrating as it was to play though, the audio was great- the growly railcar motor, the crunchy gunshots, and tons of people screaming and your buddies desperately calling out new contacts came together to make for an experience that would've been radical if it hadn't been hard as balls and involved constantly fighting with the controls.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It bugs me that the DLC uses visuals from San Francisco but audio about San Diego. Like they keep showing Golden Gate and Alcatraz but then are like "oh yeah San Diego, the sister city of Vladivostok"

Also I liked the new AR. They should back port it to the Exodus campaign somehow because it would be great in the wide open areas.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never found the safe to resolve the “car dealership” brothers scenario. How does that pan out and where was the safe? I was pretty thorough and never ran into it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

veni veni veni posted:

I never found the safe to resolve the “car dealership” brothers scenario. How does that pan out and where was the safe? I was pretty thorough and never ran into it.

I'm gonna do a poo poo job of explaining it, but the safe is in a building that's like a 30 second walk from one of the brothers' camps (the one who lives in the building, not the boat). As you leave his camp and start walking down toward the open area filled with lurker holes, you turn left and go into the fenced off area to find it; if you go down into the lurker nests, you've gone too far.

It's honestly not a big spoiler but the way it ends is right after you retrieve the documents from the safe, both brothers show up, sit down at a table to review the paperwork, and discover that neither one screwed the other over--instead, it was some other employee (a woman, if I remember correctly) that hosed them both over. They begin to drunkenly weep and reconcile.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 29, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah that ending is very telegraphed if you listen to building brother’s whole spiel.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

does ranger mode disable manual saves entirely? I can't quicksave and apparently have to rely on the autosave for everything, which is extremely bad when it refuses to trigger for 20 minutes at a time, including after entering a safe house.

it also isn't feeling like enemies are actually any more fragile on ranger mode unlike in 2033 where it upped lethality across the board, not just for you. artyom feels like he's made of glass even more than on hard difficulty, but enemies still feel exactly as durable and survive anything that isn't a headshot. it's not feeling good so far but I really don't want to start over in the middle of the volga after how long the intro is.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

does ranger mode disable manual saves entirely? I can't quicksave and apparently have to rely on the autosave for everything, which is extremely bad when it refuses to trigger for 20 minutes at a time, including after entering a safe house.

i'm afraid i have some bad news

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
was it really necessary to give krest the exact same voice actor as pavel, doing the exact same voice

if i was artyom right now i'd think i was going crackers

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just set the dialogue to Russian

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
incidental dialogue isn't subtitled so no

that goes double for this one, which really likes to have two or three sets of characters holding parallel conversations while artyom meditates peacefully in a corner

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

haldolium posted:

I was a huge fan of being outside in general. So the final bit of Exodus where you're metroing it up was sort of a low point for me comparatively.

Just finished The Two Colonels. Wish it had a little more meat on the bone, but im a sucker for supplementary world building. How's the new DLC for Sam? Anyone finish it?

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Sam's Story is good, just don't go into it expecting a completely open world. It isn't the metro but each map you visit is broken up into 3-5 smaller areas that only have connecting corridors between them. That was my only problem with it because I went in hearing about how they were making it a much more open world and it was even more broken up than some of the maps in exodus.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I bought it recently and I'm finding it incredibly annoying to navigate.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ended up sticking with ranger mode to the end. while there were a lot of frustrations with enemies seeing you in total darkness and begging the autosave to trigger after 25 minutes, it overall got a lot easier later on in the game and there's something of an inverse difficulty curve. the volga really is the roughest part of the game since you don't have weapon mods yet so your guns suck, there's water everywhere that ruins your guns, you're sandwiched between radiation and mutants and bandits with low supplies, and there's shrimp everywhere which never quite feel worth the ammo because who knows how many more there are but you can't ignore them because they kill you in 2 hits. in the caspian you get a car that's safe from mutants, the terrain is nicer and you're better equipped. and the last season of the game is a straight shot to the end with no big roadblocks.

Moved onto the two colonels (sans ranger mode) and it's not bad but it's a pretty skippable experience. pretty short, extremely on-rails with very little gameplay, and you mostly only have 1 weapon which is just point and shoot. Fills in a nice piece of the story around what happens in novosibirsk but there's 0 replay value here.

Sam's story is really good & I can give it a strong recommend. it's comparable to the taiga level in length and linearity, so a good portion of it is broadly linear but there's optional stuff, you can go at your own pace and aren't anchored to an NPC slowly walking in front of you, the 2 new weapons are fun, there's some memorable encounters, the scenery looks good, and it's just long enough to have a satisfying sense of progression getting the weapon mods and suit upgrades again. it's definitely less polished than exodus, with some weirdly empty buildings and a couple awkward encounters, but it's a solid experience overall and I could see myself playing through it again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
two colonels was the only part of this game I really liked in retrospect

tapped out halfway through sam’s story, I’d had enough

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I found TC to be much tighter, polished and atmospheric even if it's comparable short and linear. Sams Story lacks a lot of polishing compared to the main game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah two colonels is a perfect addition to the main game. It expands the story so much and even gives you a peek at some older metro lives. The only problem is the beginning flamethrower part, there's just not enough light.

Sam's story is just a poor imitation of the open world areas already in the game. Like it forces you into linear sections more aggressively than the main game does and it's kinda unclear about some of the side objectives. I probably will never play that mode again even if I replay the main game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How are the books Metro 2034 and 2035? I really liked Metro 2033, but I hear 2034 is the weakest one. Is that one worth reading before 2035?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haldolium posted:

I found TC to be much tighter, polished and atmospheric even if it's comparable short and linear. Sams Story lacks a lot of polishing compared to the main game.

it's true Sam's Story doesn't feels very polished but I really enjoyed the new area and the story was fun. TC was solid, if not too brief.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

How are the books Metro 2034 and 2035? I really liked Metro 2033, but I hear 2034 is the weakest one. Is that one worth reading before 2035?

I enjoyed them all. Russian literature is depressing as gently caress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ok, finally getting around to playing this, and I am surprisingly finding this a bit more fun on easy? Something about the aiming just doesn't feel right. I might switch it back to normal, but so far I am loving it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

There’s a bit of input lag and general “floaty-ness” to it. Firing this up right after a few rounds of Modern Warfare is agonizing. Still a great game, though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not gonna pretend it has the best controller support or anything. It’s got some jank for sure but tbh I chalk a lot of it up to uncleaned and it I upgraded guns. I really find the shooting to be a lot of fun once you have some decent upgrades and enough cash to keep your guns clean. Some of the later game weapons are especially fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I’m not gonna pretend it has the best controller support or anything. It’s got some jank for sure but tbh I chalk a lot of it up to uncleaned and it I upgraded guns. I really find the shooting to be a lot of fun once you have some decent upgrades and enough cash to keep your guns clean. Some of the later game weapons are especially fun.

Yeah, I might bump it back to normal difficulty, because right now, I am swimming in parts. This game is fun when I am not fighting monsters that run straight for you and get in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It has a pretty distinct backwards difficulty curve. Volga is bar none the hardest part, or only hard part of the game tbh. Even on normal it's not a very hard game by the halfway point. By the time you finish the desert you are pretty much a walking arsenal.