Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man I hated Grave Encounters 2. The first was amazing if you just stop watching before the last 5 mins, but the second was just... ugh. Think it took something like 30-45mins of movie time to GET to the actual asylum, plus horrifically unlikable characters and thermal camera farts, coupled with that "big mouth" cgi we see loving EVERYWHERE like it's The Mummy all over again, meh.

Pyramid was... interesting but weird. Worth a watch but not a "full price movie ticket" I guess. AASB was pretty good, albeit kinda strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I watched Ma on HBO and enjoyed it, movie goes off the rails in the best ways and it’s a pleasure to see a really good actress ham it up as a horror villain.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Savageland is good. My wife wandered in during the middle of it and I convinced her it was a real documentary for a bit. I need to watch The Pyramid. I've also been taking on the Herculean task of marking all the horror I've seen on Letterboxd and God drat y'all would be ashamed of me.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I've only seen one Freddy movie, and one Jason movie, and they're both Freddy Vs Jason. So don't worry, there's always someone even more shameful out there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I've only seen one Freddy movie, and one Jason movie, and they're both Freddy Vs Jason. So don't worry, there's always someone even more shameful out there.

You should fix that. Elm Streets 1 & 3 are classics for a reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

You should fix that. Elm Streets 1 & 3 are classics for a reason.

:emptyquote:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Elm Street franchise in general is I think very much worth exploring. The original Wes film is a genuine classic and while the sequels definitely ebb and flow in quality they all kind of try something and stand apart from each other in some way.

And I only stopped feeling shameful about the holes in my Horror fandom after 3 years of concentrated, obsessive, homework of filling many of those holes. Horror is a really big genre.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's great to have these holes because you still get to experience a lot of awesome movies for the first time!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus it's always great to spend some time getting your holes filled.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

The Elm Street franchise in general is I think very much worth exploring. The original Wes film is a genuine classic and while the sequels definitely ebb and flow in quality they all kind of try something and stand apart from each other in some way.

And I only stopped feeling shameful about the holes in my Horror fandom after 3 years of concentrated, obsessive, homework of filling many of those holes. Horror is a really big genre.

In general, I think that all the major slasher franchises--Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Child's Play/Chucky--are all worth watching at least once. They're approachable, they're fun, and every single entry has it's proponents and detractors. No two F13 rankings looks the same here; even the worst Halloweens have a few good elements or are batshit insane; even the worst Elm Street movies have cool ideas in them or interesting special effects.

We all have our Horror Holes. I still haven't seen Bride of Re-Animator or Ravenous or Rear Window or American Psycho or any of the Purge movies. :shrug:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus it's always great to spend some time getting your holes filled.

:hmmyes:

e: Ravenous is worth watching for the soundtrack alone imo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Not to mention New Nightmare is a better Wes Craven meta horror movie than Scream

:evilbuddy:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Watching a Friday the 13th movie after seeing Freddy vs Jason is kinda nuts, too, because all of the characterization of Jason comes from, like, Part 7 through X. Aesthetically, it's nothing like a Friday the 13th movie, which tend to feature the outdoors and woods and cabins, so you get these warm muddy earthtones instead of FvJ's cold palette of blue and green, with some of the dream sequences heavily filtered through red.

Freddy is Freddy, so that aspect of that film is consistent with it's respective series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Ronny Yu famously had never seen a Freddy or Jason movie when he was hired, and what he ended up doing was basically an early 2000s music video featuring the two characters. Which actually turned out pretty well, I can't really argue with the results.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I've seen the originals from Friday and Elm Street and FvJ, and have no interest in watching more of either. I don't believe I'm missing anything.

Slasher movies aren't really horror anyway because you're meant to side with the monster, not the victims. This is especially bad with the Freddy movies because he's a child killing paedo. But he cracks wise and does gnarly kills, so that's OK I guess?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I can't help but wonder what it'd have been like if Rob Zombie directed Freddy vs Jason, though I guess he was a bit of an unknown quantity back then apart from his music career. I mean like, what if he were given the project and never made House of 1000 Corpses, what kind of world would we be living in?

No Ho1KC means no Devil's Rejects...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I've seen the originals from Friday and Elm Street and FvJ, and have no interest in watching more of either. I don't believe I'm missing anything.

Slasher movies aren't really horror anyway because you're meant to side with the monster, not the victims. This is especially bad with the Freddy movies because he's a child killing paedo. But he cracks wise and does gnarly kills, so that's OK I guess?

None of this is true besides the fact that you've seen the original entries and FvJ. None of the movies of either series ever try to make you empathetic to the killer. I'm always rooting for the people to fight back and survive.

edit: Like, the only slasher I know that does this is Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's been a long time since I watched any of the NoES movies except for 1 and 3, but isn't it ambiguous whether or not he did those things or whether it was a village witchhunt that turned him into a sort of spirit of vengeance?

I know the remake made it more explicit that he was a kiddy diddler.

edit-- but yeah, no, I'm 100% rooting for Nancy (or whoever the protag is) every time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're definitely not supposed to side with Freddy. Like each of his films has a sympathetic character being stalked by him who is clearly the "hero."

Jason is a little fuzzier because like his movies have a "final girl" but she's almost never well handled or the focus of the story over Jason's random kills.

I'm not the biggest fan of slashers and many of them definitely want you to be in for the kills but to reduce all of them as wanting you to be rooting for the kills or the killer is very reductive, IMO, and incorrect. Like the Halloween movies make it incredibly clear that Michael Myers is a monster and a terror and hell on earth and not fun at all. Except for the one that is basically just a Jason movie or the Zombie one where he tried to make him kind of sympathetic.

And I feel like a significant part of Wes Craven's career was spent trying to prove that slashers can be good horror.

COOL CORN posted:

It's been a long time since I watched any of the NoES movies except for 1 and 3, but isn't it ambiguous whether or not he did those things or whether it was a village witchhunt that turned him into a sort of spirit of vengeance?

I know the remake made it more explicit that he was a kiddy diddler.

edit-- but yeah, no, I'm 100% rooting for Nancy (or whoever the protag is) every time

The kiddy diddler part is ambiguous because the studio didn't want Wes to say it outright but its never really in question that he was a serial killer of children. I think people get confused about it because like the movie also makes it clear that the mob that murdered him and covered it up was wrong to do that, but not wrong that Freddy was a monster.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 19, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

You're definitely not supposed to side with Freddy. Like each of his films has a sympathetic character being stalked by him who is clearly the "hero."

Jason is a little fuzzier because like his movies have a "final girl" but she's almost never well handled or the focus of the story over Jason's random kills.

I'm not the biggest fan of slashers and many of them definitely want you to be in for the kills but to reduce all of them as wanting you to be rooting for the kills or the killer is very reductive, IMO, and incorrect. Like the Halloween movies make it incredibly clear that Michael Myers is a monster and a terror and hell on earth and not fun at all. Except for the one that is basically just a Jason movie or the Zombie one where he tried to make him kind of sympathetic.

And I feel like a significant part of Wes Craven's career was spent trying to prove that slashers can be good horror.

The "Slashers After Halloween" episode of Amy Nicholson's Halloween Unmasked podcast goes into this. Nicholson and the guests are harsh towards Friday the 13th and stuff, but it does explore the transitions and more exploitative aspects of what slashers became, and how the emphasis on gore and kills evolved.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

The "Slashers After Halloween" episode of Amy Nicholson's Halloween Unmasked podcast goes into this. Nicholson and the guests are harsh towards Friday the 13th and stuff, but it does explore the transitions and more exploitative aspects of what slashers became, and how the emphasis on gore and kills evolved.

I'm guessing that's ‘Halloween’ Resurrection: Sequels and Copycats"? I might try and give them all a listen but I have a hard time staying focused on podcasts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The way people absorb and interact with horror and slasher films is actually a pretty complicated thing that I think has a lot to do with psychology and human nature. It's not as simple as saying that teenagers go to the theater and laugh and applaud the kills so they're "rooting for the killer". There's more going on that just that. Horror is a way that we safely expose ourselves to fear and challenge ourselves with it, and teenagers love to do that more than any other group. And when you do that, there's a tendency to fight back against the fear by laughing, joking and acting as if none of it effects you. You're conquering the fear by laughing in it's face, and that can be a great experience and a big part of why slashers have been so successful over the years.

Of course that's a generalization and sure there are specific slasher films you could point to that really do cross that line where they seem to want you to openly root for the killer, but the best ones aren't like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The way people absorb and interact with horror and slasher films is actually a pretty complicated thing that I think has a lot to do with psychology and human nature. It's not as simple as saying that teenagers go to the theater and laugh and applaud the kills so they're "rooting for the killer". There's more going on that just that. Horror is a way that we safely expose ourselves to fear and challenge ourselves with it, and teenagers love to do that more than any other group. And when you do that, there's a tendency to fight back against the fear by laughing, joking and acting as if none of it effects you. You're conquering the fear by laughing in it's face, and that can be a great experience and a big part of why slashers have been so successful over the years.

Of course that's a generalization and sure there are specific slasher films you could point to that really do cross that line where they seem to want you to openly root for the killer, but the best ones aren't like that.

Same with the tradition of Halloween being people dressing up as the creatures they fear as a form of protection. If a lil kid is afraid of Freddy, dressing up as Freddy is empowering. Sure, it's a little weird given a complete context of a child dressing like a killer of children, but it's still empowerment.

Now, certainly, there are kills in each series that are impressive. Jason Takes Manhatten has a guy trying to fight Jason, and Jason punches his head off his body. Now, I'm not rooting for Jason, but I'm still impressed at the creativity of the idea and stunt, so I may react with laughter or some clapping, but I'm not advocating for the killer. I'm aware of the artifice of a cinematic experience, and that's a fun moment!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm guessing that's ‘Halloween’ Resurrection: Sequels and Copycats"? I might try and give them all a listen but I have a hard time staying focused on podcasts.

Yes, that's the episode! The whole series is good, and the episodes are relatively short.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 19, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All this slasher talk makes me wonder if there's a slasher based table top RPG, because that seems like a great setting for one offs and campaigns.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am personally sympathetic to the critcism. I don't like the Friday movies because I think they do a bad job with the protagonist side of the story and put too much focus on racking up Jason's kills. I've never watched any of the Final Destination sequels because the big draw seems to be crazy kills and that just doesn't interest me as a main draw. I think the Saw franchise is kind of a mess of losing itself in how cool Jigsaw and his kills are and not really knowing what who are victims are or what the point is.

But like, those are individual films and I think plenty of slashers do different and actually tell stories or have strong protagonists or whatever. The part that I think gets people to dismiss them all is how all those iconic slasher monsters of the 80s-00s became such such characters that overshadowed their films or stories. So like, its easy to think that Freddy and Michael are the "stars" because not a lot of people think of Nancy and Laurie first.

And yeah, there's confusing psychology about laughing when you're scared or dressing up as what you fear to feel empowered and all that. But lets be honest, some people, especially teenagers, do just "root for the shark." And some films court that and cater to it. But its sweeping with a very broad brush to call all "slashers" that, and even like while I think SOME Jason movies do that I don't think that was the original intent to Friday the 13th. There's a lot of nuance.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 19, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't played D&D or whatever for upwards of 20 years but every single game I did play before that turned into a horror movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I haven't played D&D or whatever for upwards of 20 years but every single game I did play before that turned into a horror movie.

the basic structure of a traditional D&D session is a home invasion :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

All this slasher talk makes me wonder if there's a slasher based table top RPG, because that seems like a great setting for one offs and campaigns.

Not fully a slasher, but the Alien RPG has a one off mode where the aliens are a bit stronger and are more likely to one shot players.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Darthemed posted:

Nah, that’s Strangeland.

I wouldn't say Strangeland was bad. It's just very much a niche entry that's extremely a product of it's time.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember there being many tabletop Horror RPGs being out there. Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu's a big one, CHILL was a fun one back in the day. D&D's got the Ravenloft setting which you can Hammer Film it up along with one of the 3.whatevers having a Horror Sourcebook. All Flesh Must Be Eaten covers any and all flavors of zombies. GURPS has a horror sourcebook but then it's got a sourcebook for everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I am personally sympathetic to the critcism. I don't like the Friday movies because I think they do a bad job with the protagonist side of the story and put too much focus on racking up Jason's kills. I've never watched any of the Final Destination sequels because the big draw seems to be crazy kills and that just doesn't interest me as a main draw. I think the Saw franchise is kind of a mess of losing itself in how cool Jigsaw and his kills are and not really knowing what who are victims are or what the point is.

But like, those are individual films and I think plenty of slashers do different and actually tell stories or have strong protagonists or whatever. The part that I think gets people to dismiss them all is how all those iconic slasher monsters of the 80s-00s became such such characters that overshadowed their films or stories. So like, its easy to think that Freddy and Michael are the "stars" because not a lot of people think of Nancy and Laurie first.

And yeah, there's confusing psychology about laughing when you're scared or dressing up as what you fear to feel empowered and all that. But lets be honest, some people, especially teenagers, do just "root for the shark." And some films court that and cater to it. But its sweeping with a very broad brush to call all "slashers" that, and even like while I think SOME Jason movies do that I don't think that was the original intent to Friday the 13th. There's a lot of nuance.

I think it's just too complicated with too many factors going on to really nail it down to one thing. Because yea, there's always going to be those teenagers who go to the theater to be "that guy" who barely engages with the actual film and laughs his rear end off at every kill. I know I wasn't that guy and most of my friends weren't that guy either. A lot of teenagers really do go to slashers because they enjoy being scared.

But then, as you point out, a lot of slashers for practical reasons end up casting amateurish newcomers, which can lead to very forgettable characters and of course the killer is usually super memorable so the victims feel like they only existed in the first place to be killed. But if we're talking about just the good slashers, that typically isn't the case. I don't think most teenagers would be rooting for the characters to be killed in Halloween, or The Burning, or Friday the 13th Part IV, or Nightmare on Elm Street(and especially Dream Warriors). The characters are too memorable and well drawn for that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

MacheteZombie would kill me if i created one of those instead of watching his reccomendations and i have memory problems so how do u even remember every horror movie uve seen the only reason i say "ive seen it" itt is bc i usually google the movie and can remember it when i see pics of it

A few pages back, but you're drat right u need to watch the recs I've given you!

*sobs*

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Iron Crowned posted:

Dread does slashers very well, and one of the included scenarios is just that.

All you need is the pdf and a Jenga tower.

e: forgot about Geiger Counter, free and GM-less

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 19, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's just too complicated with too many factors going on to really nail it down to one thing. Because yea, there's always going to be those teenagers who go to the theater to be "that guy" who barely engages with the actual film and laughs his rear end off at every kill. I know I wasn't that guy and most of my friends weren't that guy either. A lot of teenagers really do go to slashers because they enjoy being scared.

But then, as you point out, a lot of slashers for practical reasons end up casting amateurish newcomers, which can lead to very forgettable characters and of course the killer is usually super memorable so the victims feel like they only existed in the first place to be killed. But if we're talking about just the good slashers, that typically isn't the case. I don't think most teenagers would be rooting for the characters to be killed in Halloween, or The Burning, or Friday the 13th Part IV, or Nightmare on Elm Street(and especially Dream Warriors). The characters are too memorable and well drawn for that.

I completely agree with you. A good slasher does its job. If you watch Nightmare on Elm Street or Halloween and root for Freddy or Michael then like... you missed something. That's on the viewer, not the film or its makers. And there will always be people who engage with films in different or "wrong" ways than everyone else or as intended.

I'm just saying there are SOME films that lean more into the "root for the shark" area and that was especially a thing in the 80s-00s when the most iconic slashers were made so like its understandable why people have that impression. Just incorrect to paint all "slashers" or even all the ones of that era or those franchises with that brush.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Iron Crowned posted:

one of the world of darkness sourcebooks, Slasher, is for playing serial killers with obvious horror movie inspirations. though I have no idea if it was made during white wolf's gross period or not.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That's one best one though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Last Friday has been on my radar for a while, but I haven't played it yet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Buddy look up Dread. Instead of dice, it uses a Jenga tower for conflict resolution , so at the beginning of the night, a pull to run up the stairs from the killer is easy (like it is early in the movie) but a pull late in the game to start the old car is nerve-wracking. Have the tower fall over and you die horribly- or you can knock it over yourself to die heroically :haw:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Last Friday has been on my radar for a while, but I haven't played it yet.

:lol:

quote:

Question: Any parental warnings of adult content in this game?

Answer: This game has murder but no nudity. Unless you are drinking with friends and the night takes a turn for the better. Then one of your friends gets to drunk and she is asking if her nipples look weird. What you thought was going to be symmetrical and pink was a not, but you are a good friend so you tell her that she has nothing to worry about. In the back of your mind you know that you had to spare her feelings. I can't stop thinking about them, they hunt me late at night.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Scream was released when I was about 10, and I definitely internalized a lot of the Freddy/Jason backlash that was prevalent during that time. I should really give them a chance.

I remember being very pleasantly surprised by The Slumber Party Massacre franchise, so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
On the topic of slashers, are any of the Sleepaway Camp sequels worth watching?