Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Speaking of Psycho, I'm a bit disappointed he and WW didn't have an exchange. Or maybe it's for the better since he probably still hates women :females:

I do get the impression that being around Harley and Ivy is actually having a moderately positive effect on Psycho being able to actually act like a civilised human around women. Mostly.

Was thinking this show is probably the first time we've actually seen the Joker as a regular and respected member of the Legion of Doom... and now we learn why he usually isn't. Also you'd think he'd appreciate Queen of Fables' style, but then again, it's pretty clear his primary trait in this incarnation is that he needs to always be the star of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do get the impression that being around Harley and Ivy is actually having a moderately positive effect on Psycho being able to actually act like a civilised human around women. Mostly.

I really think he has been showing signs of progress. "Thirty bucks" notwithstanding.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mllaneza posted:

I really think he has been showing signs of progress. "Thirty bucks" notwithstanding.

Well, he does have a type :v:

And man, I did NOT see that ending coming. Episode 13 can't come soon enough, and it's good to know we've got at least another 13 episodes after that.

Also, I do hope Ivy and Kite Man do become a thing in this continuity; I know that's heresy, but I think they're cute together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I bet this whole thing is going to end with Lex Luthor confirming Harley's place in the LoD and kicking the Joker out specifically to piss him off as much as possible.

Also, would like to see whatever they have going on with Cheetah.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's been more than a dozen DC toons that dont tie in over the last 15 years. And like 15 animated films.

It's not all going to be connected.

And that's fine, I'm just saying that there's a history there and that, combined with people's obsessive need to tie everything into a shared Cannon (see: Legend of Zelda), it's understandable people would look for those connections.

CommissarMega posted:

Also, I do hope Ivy and Kite Man do become a thing in this continuity; I know that's heresy, but I think they're cute together.

They are cute, but I think they both also know that Kite Man is playing way out of his league. Which, like, that's clearly his thing (Kite?! Man) but probably bites him in the rear end sooner or later.

I do really enjoy how much empathy this show has for Batman's D and F tier villains. Truly, this is DC's Nextwave.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 18, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought the obvious joke was, you see, instead of the tree eating the kite...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Skippy McPants posted:

They are cute, but I think they both also know that Kite Man is playing way out of his league. Which, like, that's clearly his thing (Kite?! Man) but probably bites him in the rear end sooner or later.

Ivy might know, but she clearly doesn't give a poo poo about that anymore and Kite Man seems so ignorantly self-confident that he can't even conceive the idea that he's out of his league, either as a villain or as a paramour. That's kind of the basis of his entire character, and of Ivy's interest in him as a partner. She wants to be completely uncaring of what other people think, but isn't and loves that Kite Man is despite the fact he really shouldn't have that attitude given what he's working with.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I bet this whole thing is going to end with Lex Luthor confirming Harley's place in the LoD and kicking the Joker out specifically to piss him off as much as possible.

I'd love to see some b-plots where Joker hits rock-bottom as Harley's star continues to rise. Could be good humour, bust him down to the point where even Bane is pretending not to know him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda doubt that will happen since it seems like the LoD's goal was to use Ivy's pheremones to destroy Gotham. Then also dissect her for fun. I don't think Harley is just going to let that slide.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the more likely outcome is that she chumps Joker and then gives LoD the finger when they try to welcome her back with open arms. Her whole arc for this season is about realizing she doesn't need their validation and is better off with the family/crew she's built for herself.

Speaking of, none of them realize it because they're all goofuses in a comedy show, but the team Harley assembled has a ridiculously strong and versatile power set.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 18, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, the more likely outcome is that she chumps Joker and then gives LoD the finger when they try to welcome her back with open arms. Her whole arc for this season is about realizing she doesn't need their validation and is better off with the family/crew she's built for herself.

Speaking of, none of them realize it because they're all goofuses in a comedy show, but the team Harley assembled has a ridiculously strong and versatile power set.

That's fair. Though they're kinda crippled by a mix of psychological issues and flat out incompetence. Very Venture Bros-esque. Harley kinda inverts that in that she's kinda freakishly competent all things considered, but her ability to apply that to constructive causes (for her own sake, anyway) is heavily crippled by her issues.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What she brings to the team is that she is the fixer. An upbeat, genius physiotherapist who could help everyone else work through their issues and reach their full potential, but as you point out she and everyone else on the team is hamstrung by their various hang-ups.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 18, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
She's also probably the team's most skilled fighter. Not the strongest or toughest, but the most skilled. Any job that requires tactics, precision, or the ability to react to the unexpected is usually hers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, she fits pretty well into the Captian America mold of team leader. Not overtly powerful by setting standards, but hyper-competent in a way that compensates for that lack. Clayface is a peerless infiltrator who could do some terrifying stuff if he flexed his powers, King Shark doubles a solid mid-tier bruiser and tech wizard, Psyco is a strong mental/magic type which are classicly hard for most heroes to deal with, and Ivy is a superb—if conditional—ace.

It's really a very wide range of tools compared to a lot of teams and could probably give the Justice League a decent run if they were firing on all cylinders, which of course they never will be on this show. But still, I always enjoy misfit teams that are much greater than the sum of their parts.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
BtAS established Harley's competency pretty well. When Joker gave her an angry "well if you think you can capture batman go and do it" she went and did it. And he only escaped because, like with the deathtrap in the pilot, Joker's ego won't let anyone else succeed.

So yeah, Harley is good enough to take down Batman, and while she has various issues, they're not ones that get in the way of pulling a trigger.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Elfface posted:

BtAS established Harley's competency pretty well. When Joker gave her an angry "well if you think you can capture batman go and do it" she went and did it. And he only escaped because, like with the deathtrap in the pilot, Joker's ego won't let anyone else succeed.

Am I thinking of a different episode but wasn't there a point she pretty much had Batman completely at her mercy but lets him go because she isn't a murderer?

It's telling that in Batman Beyond she's the one character who gets a 100% redemption even if it's off screen. Mr. Freeze does too, though there's a lot more emphasis on him having to live with his mistakes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Am I thinking of a different episode but wasn't there a point she pretty much had Batman completely at her mercy but lets him go because she isn't a murderer?

It's telling that in Batman Beyond she's the one character who gets a 100% redemption even if it's off screen. Mr. Freeze does too, though there's a lot more emphasis on him having to live with his mistakes.

Freeze's backstory was a creation of BTAS so it makes some sense that they'd cap it off in what's effectively the sequel series

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Freeze's backstory was a creation of BTAS so it makes some sense that they'd cap it off in what's effectively the sequel series

So was Harley Quinn's character entirely.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

So was Harley Quinn's character entirely.

I was initially gonna add Roxy Rocket too, but looking her up, she was originally introduced in a comic book tie-in to BTAS before showing up in the rebranded side of the animated series (the one where Scarecrow looked a lot scarier and they made Ridder bald)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ivy

Hell no :ohdear:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If people were curious about where the show goes in the second season (which, also yeah, I guess the initial order was 26 episodes? Cool.) someone in the Internet Personality thread posted a screengrab from an AMA with some info. Not going to embed, cause of spoilers, but reading it left me pretty psyched.

URL Contains General Plot Spoilers: https://i.imgur.com/8y3bLcH.jpg

Also, the full reddit AMA is here is anyone wants it: https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/comments/f3gsl5/were_justin_halpern_patrick_schumacker_executive/

Also, also, the EPs agree that the pilot had too many fucks,

quote:

That actually wasn't Jim, that was when Geoff was still in charge. But I don't even think it came from Geoff. We turned in the pilot and it had a ton of fucks in it (actually probably too many, we were just really trying to let people know this wasn't for kids, and in doing so I think we overused it in that pilot tbh), and DC was like, "This is way too many fucks." And we were like "okay, what's an amount of fucks you think is the appropriate amount of fucks per episode. What's our FPE?" and DC was like "let us get back to you," and then they came back and they were like "it's eight. Eight fucks." I have no idea how they came to the number eight. I don't know if there's a person who sits in a dark room somewhere at DC and they opened the door and were like "how many fucks is too many fucks," but they were very specific that it was eight. But then we ended up using more than eight during a few later eps, so honestly, I don't know. This is probably going to get me fired. In which case, this is PATRICK answering this question and definitely not Justin. Justin did not answer this. It was Patrick M. Schumacker.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 19, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm glad they realized that. Even rewatching the pilot knowing what comes next still feels like they were trying super hard to be edgy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I guess it turns out they are the showrunners, despite random stuff filled out on IMDB.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Skippy McPants posted:

If people were curious about where the show goes in the second season (which, also yeah, I guess the initial order was 26 episodes? Cool.) someone in the Internet Personality thread posted a screengrab from an AMA with some info. Not going to embed, cause of spoilers, but reading it left me pretty psyched.

URL Contains General Plot Spoilers: https://i.imgur.com/8y3bLcH.jpg

Sounds like the guy who theorized that Ivy is going to break up with Kite Man because she's out of his league is essentially right, which is kind of disappointing just because their relationship is endearing. That said, it does sound like they're going to put Ivy and Harley together, or at least explore them as a couple in the second season, which will make a lot of people happy. I just hope Kite Man finds some kind of happiness after Ivy, because this depiction of him is fun and it'd be sad to have him breaking up with Ivy be the last thing they do with him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

tsob posted:

Sounds like the guy who theorized that Ivy is going to break up with Kite Man because she's out of his league is essentially right, which is kind of disappointing just because their relationship is endearing. That said, it does sound like they're going to put Ivy and Harley together, or at least explore them as a couple in the second season, which will make a lot of people happy. I just hope Kite Man finds some kind of happiness after Ivy, because this depiction of him is fun and it'd be sad to have him breaking up with Ivy be the last thing they do with him.

I think the "nice to you, but not right for you" framing is a lot more astute and less demeaning to Kite Man. He's a sweet guy, but Ivy gravitated toward him out of a combination of low self-esteem and him being one of the few people in her life who was genuinely kind to her. It does suck for Kite Man, but based on how the show has treated him so far I hope they'll let him down easy and give him room to bounce back. Cause yeah, bombast aside, he's a cool dude.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can't really say as I ever found Ivy in this depiction as lacking self confidence to be honest. She definitely had a hole in her self-confidence, because she wasn't as uncaring of other people's perception as she wanted to be, but she had oodles of self-confidence in other areas from the start. Which I presume is all that they're addressing, but just feels incongruous given the wording.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I hope that the destruction of the LoD headquarters leads to an actual weakening of the group and allows competing super-villain groups to show up with the lesser known characters.

It would be neat to see a group of the villains thought to be "losers" to have an alternative "union" to join.

But mainly I want to see Killer Moth on screen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LashLightning posted:

I hope that the destruction of the LoD headquarters leads to an actual weakening of the group and allows competing super-villain groups to show up with the lesser known characters.

It would be neat to see a group of the villains thought to be "losers" to have an alternative "union" to join.

Still totally an idea stolen from Venture Bros, but with potential.

Still funny that the LoD HQ is basically a mix of that and the Hall of Justice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Maybe they can even do something fun with Charaxes.

Yeah, yeah, big ask, I know.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LashLightning posted:

Injustice Guild is too mainstream.

This looks like a job for the Superman Revenge Squad!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, also, the EPs agree that the pilot had too many fucks,

quote:

That actually wasn't Jim, that was when Geoff was still in charge. But I don't even think it came from Geoff. We turned in the pilot and it had a ton of fucks in it (actually probably too many, we were just really trying to let people know this wasn't for kids, and in doing so I think we overused it in that pilot tbh), and DC was like, "This is way too many fucks." And we were like "okay, what's an amount of fucks you think is the appropriate amount of fucks per episode. What's our FPE?" and DC was like "let us get back to you," and then they came back and they were like "it's eight. Eight fucks." I have no idea how they came to the number eight. I don't know if there's a person who sits in a dark room somewhere at DC and they opened the door and were like "how many fucks is too many fucks," but they were very specific that it was eight. But then we ended up using more than eight during a few later eps, so honestly, I don't know. This is probably going to get me fired. In which case, this is PATRICK answering this question and definitely not Justin. Justin did not answer this. It was Patrick M. Schumacker.

This is such a good quote. How many is "too many"? Why 8? Is it an hard 8 or a soft 8? :iiam:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That whole AMA is very good, read it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Im expecting the Inferior Five to show up.

Also probably Kobra and a "The bad guys from G.I. Joe? " joke

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Skippy McPants posted:

I think the "nice to you, but not right for you" framing is a lot more astute and less demeaning to Kite Man. He's a sweet guy, but Ivy gravitated toward him out of a combination of low self-esteem and him being one of the few people in her life who was genuinely kind to her. It does suck for Kite Man, but based on how the show has treated him so far I hope they'll let him down easy and give him room to bounce back. Cause yeah, bombast aside, he's a cool dude.

One of the more annoying things writers have done with Ivy over the years is portray her as this creature who thinks no one can love her because she's not human anymore, or that she's unworthy of love because of her ~obligation~ to the Green. Yet Swamp Thing can have quite possibly one of the most beautiful and :catdrugs: 'love scenes' in comic history. Or they go the other way and make Ivy this cold, manipulative she-bitch who doesn't think anyone can love her, either because they're unworthy of her or she's gotten so used to controlling people outright using her body chemistry that she can't fathom having a natural relationship.

That's why I really like this version of her thus far.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also you can’t tell me setting kite man up as a disposable moron and then suddenly killing Ivy wasn’t a brilliant intentional bait and switch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can, for the simple reason that I didn't actually expect them to ever kill Kite Man. Honestly, I didn't expect them to kill anyone. Or even do a fake out kill, really. Which is probably what is happening regardless. I'd honestly be less surprised if Kite Man died now and not Ivy, if only because (spoiler from the AMA posted above on the second season) it seems like the cleanest way to separate him and Ivy. Which has nothing to do with what the show has actually done, and everything to do with going off the producers word.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like an amicable breakup is the most tonally fitting way for things to end. They stay friends, and he's hitting on some other supervillain who's ridiculously far out of his league in Season 2.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Look, nothing but cowardice stops a wholesome but somewhat awkward threesome happening here.

I mean, 'cuz you know its gonna be hard navigating around the kite and all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like an amicable breakup is the most tonally fitting way for things to end. They stay friends, and he's hitting on some other supervillain who's ridiculously far out of his league in Season 2.

You know, I was gonna say that there aren't really any other characters in the show for him to hit on without introducing someone entirely new and I don't even think Gotham has any other prominent supervillainesses beyond Catwoman, who it won't be, but then, Giganta exists. Seeing Kite Man hook up with her could be fun, especially for Dr Pscyho's reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tsob posted:

You know, I was gonna say that there aren't really any other characters in the show for him to hit on without introducing someone entirely new and I don't even think Gotham has any other prominent supervillainesses beyond Catwoman, who it won't be, but then, Giganta exists. Seeing Kite Man hook up with her could be fun, especially for Dr Pscyho's reaction.

Prominent? No. Minor? There's a few of 'em. There's Jane Doe, Magpie, Orca, and Lady Vic as ones who're on their own and have some sort of legacy. There's a number of one-offs, and there's a few who're female versions of previous villains like a Lady Clayface, a female Ventriloquist, a female Firefly, Even Nora Friesse at least twice now. But A-list Villainesses, it's basically Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman.