Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
When she was tractor beamed parts of the dress were being pulled away by the ink ship, so yeah it’s ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, based on the previous illustrations he's done of her, she is literally Ink Bayonetta, her dress is made of ink. It's possible he changed his mind about that for the comic though. (But I doubt it.)

notably (or I guess not notably, I only know this because I'm a sponge for useless trivia) the entire gimmick (outfit is ink) was also already done by aimsee, the OC of model marie claude bourbonnais

she also has an octopus or something to justify the ink costume but the point is, it's not even an especially new iteration of the idea

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
the real question is when does Snout and get dressed in ink

you know it's happening.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

notably (or I guess not notably, I only know this because I'm a sponge for useless trivia) the entire gimmick (outfit is ink) was also already done by aimsee, the OC of model marie claude bourbonnais

she also has an octopus or something to justify the ink costume but the point is, it's not even an especially new iteration of the idea

by who the what of whom?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

you know it's happening.

He is always dressed in ink, he's a comicbook character.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Fish Noise posted:

you know it's happening.

I mean that would require Mookie to develop another model for one of the characters which sounds suspiciously like :effort: so no, I don't think that'll be happening.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GrossMurpel posted:

by who the what of whom?

A very naked lady apparently

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RBA Starblade posted:

A very naked lady
Dibs on this SA username.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No Monday update folks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
One thing I like about DD is that Mookie is not a bad person and he obviously tries to put positive, progressive messages in his comics, but he almost always fumbles in execution and ends up being offensive somehow. It's so much more interesting than media made by outright bigots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheHan posted:

No Monday update folks.

God she's looking at that sign like it's her firstborn son

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

One thing I like about DD is that Mookie is not a bad person and he obviously tries to put positive, progressive messages in his comics, but he almost always fumbles in execution and ends up being offensive somehow. It's so much more interesting than media made by outright bigots.

Bro what comic have you been reading

God that filler is terrible. Not once has Mookie drawn those decorative bell bottoms on Snout's pants.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Invisible Clergy posted:

God that filler is terrible. Not once has Mookie drawn those decorative bell bottoms on Snout's pants.

Why do his pants have a cloth codpiece built into them. He definitely made them himself, so why did he do that? Was he sent to the Mild Edge for being a weird clothes pervert? (That very visible treasure trail also points in that direction.)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Nah there's been tons attempts at being progressive in Dominic Deegan, with varying success. There's a whole arc walking back Mookie's weird hangups about cosmetic surgery, an overall "racism bad" message throughout the series and though nothing's really done with it there's some anti-colonialism themes in there.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Why do his pants have a cloth codpiece built into them. He definitely made them himself, so why did he do that? Was he sent to the Mild Edge for being a weird clothes pervert? (That very visible treasure trail also points in that direction.)

If we hadn't already seen his dick so often, I'd joke that he has a lava lamp shaped penis. Since that's not the world we live in, I'll instead say he stuffs his crotch.

TheHan posted:

Nah there's been tons attempts at being progressive in Dominic Deegan, with varying success. There's a whole arc walking back Mookie's weird hangups about cosmetic surgery, an overall "racism bad" message throughout the series and though nothing's really done with it there's some anti-colonialism themes in there.

I know that's true, like the alterist, and those always end up falling flat and being offensive like Ague Proof said, but this comic is far from being bereft of plain old loathsome bigotry. Without beating the most obvious drum, he's got a very serious madonna whore complex, as we often touch on.

I guess you have a point re: orcs and orc accessories; I just still classify Mookie as a shithead misogynist even if he doesn't think he's one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

All I really remember was how Luna saving the orc homeland had a lot of unintentional White Man’s Burden undertones.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mookie is perhaps the exemplar of the uncritical well-meaning liberal nerd. He doesn't harbour an active ideological commitment to the racism, misogyny and cisheterosexism he (and all of us) absorb from our society, but he doesn't self-reflect on why he feels about certain things the way he does, or why certain stories come to his mindthe way they do. Like hey, what's with the only black character being revealed as black (due to the art) when he's about to rape an unconcious white woman. Why are all the non-white humans exotified "passionate" people. Why the continuous big boob evil sluts? What was with Szark and the implications that he was evil until he gave up his degenerate bisexuality? Why do his shy nerd characters always win by letting out some massive deathball of magic that totally owns all those dumb jocks?

Even this whole arc reminds me of so many people I have on my facebook. They just post constantly about reading books and being introverts. But I swear the posts on reading as an act, compared to the actual ones about books, are like 3 to 1 at least. So it's like fetishizing reading and books as a personality signifier, which this entire story feels like as well.

And these people will have sad reacts to racist poo poo happening, and will talk about how they thought the world would be better in [2018,2019,2020] but it's not woven together into a coherent worldview. So if someone talks about the need to have Muslim women remove their niqabs for "security", then they are all onboard. Also, these people are very susceptible to transphobic arguments couched in feminist language.

This has been my armchair dissertation on the psychology of noted fantasy author Michael "Mookie" Terraciano. Thank you for listening.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 17, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheHan posted:

The anti-colonialism was also deeply imbued with White Savor overtones because of course Dominic and Luna had to play a central role, the Kwisatz Orkerach just couldn't be, like, one of Dom's orc friends, it had to be Dom.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Little Death posted:

This has been my armchair dissertation on the psychology of noted fantasy author Michael "Mookie" Terraciano. Thank you for listening.
Oh! He's a centrist!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

God loving drat it Mookie you lazy motherfucker.

Regalingualius posted:

You can’t just mention that and not link to it.

:nws: :nms: obviously https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3910844&pagenumber=144&perpage=40#post502459415

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh dear god :stonk:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That is an entire genre of Cake Wreck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:shepicide:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Somehow terrible family relationships has given us more today than Mookie.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

TheHan posted:

Is Mookie vegan?, it could be interpreted as railing against people’s opinions of his dietary habits instead.

Didn’t he have tusks in his wedding photos?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mookie has been vegan since longer than we've mocked him. I don't know if he's been vegan since we've known him, but one thing I will defend him on is he's been consistently vegan in all the time I've otherwise criticised him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kerbtree posted:

Is Mookie vegan?, it could be interpreted as railing against people’s opinions of his dietary habits instead.

Didn’t he have tusks in his wedding photos?
Yes and yes. He was not an orc in those photos, he was a hobgoblin or troll-like creature. I would show you, but someone asked me nicely not to link them out of respect to Mrs. Mookie which is reasonable.

Tesseraction posted:

Mookie has been vegan since longer than we've mocked him. I don't know if he's been vegan since we've known him, but one thing I will defend him on is he's been consistently vegan in all the time I've otherwise criticised him.

Mookie was not vegan for the entire run of Deegan. He converted midway through the process and began touting its health benefits, posting recipes, etc in the blog posts he used to attach to the comic. As far as I know, he's fairly observant and it seems to be working for him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Mookie was not vegan for the entire run of Deegan. He converted midway through the process and began touting its health benefits, posting recipes, etc in the blog posts he used to attach to the comic. As far as I know, he's fairly observant and it seems to be working for him.

Fair, although I will reiterate that by the time I came to mock him he had been vegan for a while.

FWIW some of his posts about vegan beer persuaded me to check them out in my local supermarket. They were good.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah there's not a lot of difference in taste, I think they just don't use rennet when it comes to skimming stuff off during fermentation, like vegetarian cheese.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Romcom montage on their endless journey to the mongreltown,

Apparently that sign was indicating a billion miles that way <-

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The sad thing is that this is the most effort he's ever put into establishing the romantic compatibility of two of his characters.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

No dialogue. Migrating tail. Watch Mookie not have them get together to throw us a curveball:

"“Separate those who lap the water with their tongues as a dog laps from those who kneel down to drink.” - Judges 7:5

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why does he now no longer sleep naked?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tesseraction posted:

Why does he now no longer sleep naked?

Mookie forgot.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"This montage is enough to show that they're in love, right? Good, now I can fast forward to the sex scene without actually putting in effort having to write or develop characters." - Mookie, probably

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Do you think he realizes that he’s following that week of walking with another week of walking.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFx-5PGLgb4

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Do you think he realizes that he’s following that week of walking with another week of walking.

I think we should expect many, many more "weeks of walking" now that Mookie knows he can get away with it. He either writes a bunch of text to avoid having to draw anything complicated, or draws a bunch of landscapes to avoid having to write anything.

Seriously, this is real laziness. This is the first time Snout and the Ink Witch have interacted, besides the initial Q&A. It's where they reveal themselves to each other, learn about each other and learn to like each other as people. And we don't get to see it because Mookie didn't write any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I suspect he just has no idea where to go from here or what to do now that he's put the two protagonists in the same place. Until he can contrive a way for the two of them to either A) stumble upon a Bad Guy doing Something Bad (which they'll just stand around and watch happen), or B) have a sex scene; we'll get more of this.