Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This thread will keep track of new releases, licensing announcements, and other BL news as well as be a place to talk about BL in general.
This is more of a legal reading/watching space just fyi -- I'm not really keeping up with BL scanlations anymore.

Shows (TV/ONA)
  • Sasaki & Miyano (January 9, 2022)
    Miyano spends his days peacefully reading Boys' Love comics and worrying about how girly his face is-until a chance encounter leads to a scuffle with his senior Sasaki. Intrigued by his feisty junior Miyano, delinquent Sasaki uses every opportunity he can to get closer...
    MAL | PV | Streaming on Funimation

• The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System S2 (? 2022)
    MAL

• Warm Sun (Sa Ye) (? 2022)
    A healing work about mutual salvation and joint efforts.
    MAL | PV

• Thousand Autumns S2 (Shanhe Jian Xin) (? 2022)
    MAL | Character PV

Movies

OVAs & Etc.

Manga
There are way too many releases to post a full list but I'll pick out a few notable ones through the year. In the meantime this page lists upcoming manga releases for the year and is regularly updated.
  • No. 6 Omnibus Reprint (Fall 2022)

:siren:Danmei Novels:siren:
  • Heaven Official's Blessing Vol. 2 (Feb 2022)
  • The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System Vol. 2 (April 2022)
  • Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation Vol. 2 (May 2022)
  • Heaven Official's Blessing Vol. 3 (June 2022)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A note about this thread:
Use discretion when clicking links; a lot of the media discussed here contains 18+ content. I will endeavor to always use neutral links when possible and will mark links that aren't with the NWS emote and request anyone posting to do the same, but fair warning -- I can't guarantee you won't see a risque cover thumbnail here or there.

Where to read/buy BL manga?
I had originally envisioned doing some small paragraph write-ups of various services and publishers that specialize in BL but then remembered that websites exist:
  • Quick and Dirty List of Where to Read BL - This list includes webtoon publishers with English releases, is being actively updated
  • Where Can I Read Manga? - Not only covering BL, you can filter to what you want to read and/or buy. (2021 note: doesn't appear to be updating)
  • The Ultimate List of Legal Online Manga Sites - a lot of overlap with the other lists but there might be some here that aren't included in the other two (Updated May 7, 2021)
  • Indiebound.org - Publishers running out of print copies is a huge issue right now and if you missed getting a copy of a manga when it was first released, it's very likely you're looking at OUT OF STOCK notices at most of the big distributors. This site is a great resource for finding print copies of books that are still in stock at smaller, independent bookstores. It's also a good alternative to ordering from amazon, especially in light of how they keep de-listing BL manga for no reason.

BL Explainers and Further Reading

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 12, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Archive

2020 Anime
Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai - The Clouds Gather
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi: Propose-hen
Given Movie
Umibe no Étranger
Marudase Kintarou
Yes ka No ka Hanbun ka
Jie Yao - Antidote
Heaven Official's Blessing (Tian Guan Ci Fu)
The Titan's Bride
6 Lovers

2021 Anime

202X???
Ten Count (TBA - postponed)
Tokyo Babylon 2021 (Postponed/cancelled)
Little Mushroom (TBA)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 27, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Where's that Yes...! Yes!!!! smilie when you need it???

e: I can always count on you to let me know when new and good things are out, Burrito :)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol, glad someone else is excited for new stuff! I've just been scattershot posting things everywhere til now but they were kinda getting lost in the bigger threads.

I just found out about that Jie Yao donghua and it's already airing -- no idea about subs tho. There's two more novel adaptions I know of as well but I'm waiting to see more concrete info on them before I add them.

e:
Original content of 3rd post

quote:

Here's a brand new release -- this manga is really cute!
https://twitter.com/futekiya/status/1229359943221960705?s=20

And some recent license announcements I'm pretty excited about :
MADK

Birds of Shangri-La

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 21, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new license
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1230224062191980544?s=20

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Wait, I never really paid attention to this anime. How lgbt is it?

Also I can only find non-english subs for antidote/jieyao :(

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 19, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Wait, I never really paid attention to this anime. How lgbt is it?

Also I can only find non-english subs for antidote/jieyao :(

One of the main three protagonists is gay and he is in love with another of the main three. Also the two cops are gay and love each other.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
you still have yet to link that dis :|

^^^ oh hell yeah

wait, i think i remember seeing something about the cops being talked about

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The cops also have their own spinoff manga

e: added the most important manga release to the OP

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 20, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

finally place where i can talk about my anime bfs and how i want them to be happy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1230951433501118464?s=20 new license :toot:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Speaking of the crazy brilliant and utterly gorgeous MADK, Chapter 7 has just been posted: https://mangadex.org/title/29655/madk

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I saw the update pop up but I'm really trying to stop myself from continuing to read scans for stuff that's gotten licensed because that leads to the situation of being way ahead of the official translation and having more to re-read instead of getting to read it fresh.

There's not that much of MADK yet so it's not like something like Golden Kamuy where it's taken literally years for the official translation to finally get past stuff I'd already read scans of but it's more fun (to me anyway) to buy a book and read it when you haven't already seen everything that's in it.

It's so tempting when new chapters are right there though... :negative:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yes, but on the other hand:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Given w/an actual PV now
https://twitter.com/given_anime/status/1233044113722757120?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/SquareEnixBooks/status/1233120079946174465?s=20

This one looks like it'll be cute. It's also interesting that this is a new foray into BL publishing for them.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cute I liked the manga trailer :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Manga release from Tokyopop coming out this summer:

Don't Call Me Daddy
When Ryuuji is left to raise his son Shouji as a single father, Hanao steps up to help him out. At first, their family life is happy and content, but Hanao's true feelings for Ryuuji become more and more difficult for him to ignore. The pressure of staying closeted eventually becomes too much to bear; Hanao leaves, choosing to run from his feelings and his fears of somehow “messing up” Shouji’s life when he starts getting teased at school for having two dads.

Years later, when he comes home to care for his aging father and ends up advising Shouji on his blossoming relationship with Hama, Hanao realizes it's time to face his own past… and his future.

This is apparently related to Don't Call Me Dirty which is currently available. I've grabbed a sample of it to check out but haven't read it yet so I can't really say much about it at this point.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hanger

In a futuristic Neo-Tokyo, crime is rising rapidly in the wake of a new generation of super-drugs capable of enhancing the user’s physical and mental abilities. Hajime Tsukomo is a new recruit on a federal task force trained to go after these powered-up criminals. Now he must team up with Zeroichi, a so-called Hanger looking to reduce his own jail sentence in exchange for helping to take down these chemically-boosted bad guys.

I picked up all 3 volumes of this one basically sight-unseen because I've learned from experience print editions get scarce really fast. While my power was out the other day I read the first two volumes so here's my thoughts on 2/3 of it.

Sci-fi/action BL is generally pretty fun. If you watched Double Decker the setting is actually pretty similar to that -- criminals souped-up on magic steroids being hunted down by a special task force. 1/2 of each team is a felon who is also full of nanomachine drugs that give them some sort of super power that also comes with a semi-debilitating side effect that their Keeper has to mitigate along with maintaining the leash that lets these guys run around outside.

The Hangers have kind of a double stigma laid on them, because in addition to running berserk and doing a bunch of murders or whatever got them in jail in the first place, there's a sense of societal disapproval of drug addicts kind of laid over the whole thing and the story is very clear to portray them as addicts which I have some mixed feelings about. As best as I can tell from the mechanics of the thing, the nanomachines in the drugs stay in their systems after the first dose, and they got the big-time super powers from taking a huge dose for whatever reason. One side character overdosed to save his friend from a bunch of criminals, went berserk on it and killed 20 of them, and eventually landed in the Hanger program. But it also mentions that people "shoot up" the drug, and most of them clearly aren't turning into super villains so it's kind of unclear what the difference between habitual use and "one mega dose that gives you super powers" is. They also don't continue to have to take the drug; the effects are in their system permanently apparently. However there is rehabilitation of some sort but "heavy users" aren't able to go through it for...some reason? Nanomachines are also present in nearly everyone, as they've taken the place of most medical treatments and vaccines. I felt like the worldbuilding on this aspect was pretty loose with a bunch of ideas kind of slammed together in a bit of a half-baked way that doesn't really hold up if you examine it too hard or expect consistency, but it at least works as a framework to hang the story on.

This is primarily an action story and not a romance; the relationship between the two leads starts out antagonistic and a lot of the work they do is more about learning to be a team rather than being boyfriends -- it is BL so that part isn't completely absent, but it's a much slower buildup than you'd typically get. By the end of the 2nd volume they have kissed a couple of times and are still kind of oblivious to even the concept of being a couple. It feels sort of retro in that aspect to me in some ways, like a throwback to that late 90s/early 2000s stuff that had very light BL elements where you know the two leads are in love but might at most get a kiss by the end. Since I still have one more volume to go I don't think it's going to be quite that much of a tease, but I would definitely put this one in the slow burn category.

Another aspect that feels a bit like a throwback is the dynamic between the two leads, in particular the "damsel in distress" feeling that Hajime puts off. This has been so far my biggest complaint. Hajime is a traffic cop who has been transferred to the Hanger program and put in charge of one of the most dangerous dudes in the system; he's inexperienced and idealistic which is fairly typical for this sort of character. However, he is still a police officer and ostensibly has been trained and is competent at his job. The story makes it very clear that he's just an ordinary guy going after criminals with superhuman strength and after he gets lightly injured early on Zeroichi goes into overprotective boyfriend mode which is all plot-related so that they can eventually deal with his past trauma etc etc. That's fine, but the effect is that Hajime completely loses any sense of being capable of doing things as the other half of the team and is constantly being rescued and protected. This kind of dynamic is reminiscent of older shoujo action manga I remember reading, where the lead heroine is constantly put in danger just to be protected and rescued by her overprotective, emotionally-constipated love interest. She also usually has some sort of skill or ability or inherent magic "specialness" that should give her some power of her own but she doesn't ever get to use it for ~reasons~. Hajime also has one of those special traits -- he has a blood condition that means nanomachines don't work on him, which makes him more fragile and in need of protecting, but also gives him a special ability that he's not allowed to use except in rare circumstances. I'm hoping that the third volume addresses this but I can't say that I'm a fan of this particular trope in general, and I find myself wishing that Hajime had been allowed to be more of an equal in the relationship from the beginning.

I found one of the side teams more compelling as far as their history and relationship goes. They're the team with the guy who OD'd on magic steroids to save his friend from being killed, and their relationship is built around a sense of guilt and self-sacrificing love from both of them. The Hanger guy feels guilty that his partner is sacrificing himself to try to purge his sentence as quickly as possible, and the Keeper guy feels guilty that his buddy got in the situation in the first place because he hosed up, so they're both angsting about wanting to make the other person happy while suffering stoically and in reality making each other miserable. They eventually get their poo poo sorted out after interacting with the MC team and tbh I think they should have had to work a little harder for it. Their arc left me wishing that they'd been the main team because I found their problems and emotional connection to each other way more interesting.

Overall I don't regret buying this one but it's solidly mediocre due largely to the slapdash worldbuilding and dated relationship dynamics. However if you like action and/or sci-fi BL, vaguely militaristic character designs, slow burn relationships that aren't the main focus, and have a taste for old school shoujo action this one would fit the bill.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
TIL Therapy Game has a sequel :woop:

e: Secret XXX comes out next month, then Therapy Game vol.1 in June & vol. 2 in September. Considering the sequel is only just now being published and doesn't have a whole volume out it'll probably be over a year before it's available. :negative: I know that doesn't necessarily stop anyone from reading it

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 7, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I feel like that's a risk w/blind buying manga that I find that I fall back on scanlations. Like then I need to store the actual books in my limited space and life is hard :effort:

I wish I could just buy ebook/PDF of my favorite manga instead of subs but I guess I can take pics of it? Ik technically the site could go down so I'd lose all my books on Renta but I like to pretend I own them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah I'd rather have a download of it to keep vs Renta's system but just FYI their app does let you download books so you can at least read them offline. I was glad I'd downloaded a few to my tablet to test it out when my power & internet were out for the entire day.

Reading through the app at least makes it more like the kindle, I've got tons of books that could just vanish at amazon's whim but being able to access them outside my computer & offline is slightly better than only being able to read through the browser. It would be nice if Futekiya would make an app too since their navigation is still pretty clunky.

It would be great if getting to preview the first chapter for free was universal, it's really nice when that option is available and you can at least check out a sample before buying. Scans are pretty handy on that front but I'm getting to where I'd rather read an official version instead of trying to muddle through something some rando has machine translated.

Sublime still does PDF versions if you buy directly from them and they're getting a lot of the better licenses lately. idk why tokyopop is only doing print editions, I really would have preferred to just get a digital edition of Hanger (esp. since it likely would have been cheaper).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Renta! is having a sale on gangster-themed BL; runs til the 11th

would be a pretty good time to pick up what's available of Saezuru in English (3 vols) because it's 25% off rn

e: other notables
Tatsuyuki Oyamato the 4th (prequel to Jealousy)
Flaver
Tie Me, Untangle Me, Kiss Me

idk about the rest, they don't look that great. I picked up Flaver & already have the others so I can vouch for those at least lol

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 8, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This has been circulating on my tl for a while now and I guess finally got enough attention ANN picked it up
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1237071917041025024?s=20

the author even went as far as making a post on the site which is pretty unusual, and people were really lovely to her which is sad :(

regardless of your opinion about reading scans, at least have enough shame to know that what you're doing is illegal and not be so entitled as to act like you're doing the author a favor jesus christ

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mangago is a special place :thunk:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I read the manga "Stranger", good stuff

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read that one yet but I want to

this has an official tl now
https://twitter.com/mojito_ennead/status/1237301183376543744?s=19

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new release! this one looks really cute, I watched a preview video of it when they announced it.

https://twitter.com/SquareEnixBooks/status/1237409348223197186?s=20

has a digital version available too, thank goodness :shobon:
Oh looks like it's got a 2nd volume as well, I don't know much about the plot other than what was in the preview so no idea if it'll be overall a slower paced story or do the thing where it keeps going after they get together -- either one is good imo.

I'm curious to see what else they might pick up since this is a completely new venture for this publisher.

I just told myself this morning no more books this month but....maybe just one more

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't read that one yet but I want to

this has an official tl now
https://twitter.com/mojito_ennead/status/1237301183376543744?s=19

It's insanely short, took me less than a half hour to read

I'm glad Ennead has an official tl, it was mighty stylish

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Manga release from Tokyopop coming out this summer:

Don't Call Me Daddy
When Ryuuji is left to raise his son Shouji as a single father, Hanao steps up to help him out. At first, their family life is happy and content, but Hanao's true feelings for Ryuuji become more and more difficult for him to ignore. The pressure of staying closeted eventually becomes too much to bear; Hanao leaves, choosing to run from his feelings and his fears of somehow “messing up” Shouji’s life when he starts getting teased at school for having two dads.

Years later, when he comes home to care for his aging father and ends up advising Shouji on his blossoming relationship with Hama, Hanao realizes it's time to face his own past… and his future.

This is apparently related to Don't Call Me Dirty which is currently available. I've grabbed a sample of it to check out but haven't read it yet so I can't really say much about it at this point.

Extremely down for this based on premise and cover art

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nice, the 2nd volume of this will be out soon:
https://twitter.com/blprism_/status/1237753900477923330?s=20

This one is great if you like dark humor -- the MC is a disaster so a lot of the plot is just him melting down and making a big mess of his life. I don't remember enough of the details at this point to provide real specific content warnings so I need to re-read it but iirc a suicide threat happens at some point.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 11, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nice, the 2nd volume of this will be out soon:
https://twitter.com/blprism_/status/1237753900477923330?s=20

This one is great if you like dark humor -- the MC is a disaster so a lot of the plot is just him melting down and making a big mess of his life. I don't remember enough of the details at this point to provide real specific content warnings so I need to re-read it but iirc a suicide threat happens at some point.
I have a friend that makes that exact same goddamn facial expression when he's fretting. The resemblance is uncanny.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So, I hate this series but just in case other people don't, Caste Heaven is out now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Digital edition of What Did You Eat Yesterday? finally :toot:

https://twitter.com/TheOASG/status/1230555179617005568?s=20

this is great because I've had a hard time convincing people to read it when getting into it is kind of an investment. Hopefully this will encourage more people to check it out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tokyopop is doing a whole new line with BL/GL and finally got around to announcing it

https://twitter.com/TOKYOPOP/status/1238948068000759814?s=20

What they're highlighting:
(+more)
(+more)

The real stand-out of those imo is Koimonogatari and I am terrified it's going to end up unfinished so I hope they can stay in business long enough to get the whole thing out. It's still an ongoing series w/2 volumes so far but the chapters come out really slowly so idk when we'll ever see the end of it :ohdear:

also Deko-Boko Sugar Days is pretty cute and I hope they also get the sequel.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 15, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Futekiya is making changes to their subscription plans with some discounts for long-term subs and free trials via gift codes coming soon:

announcement

when the gift codes start rolling out I'll be sure to share :3:
the sub price dropping to $5/mo if you do a full 6 months is pretty great too

I look at this service very similarly to how I look at Kindle Unlimited in that if I read at least one or two books every month that's cheaper than buying them individually and in general I read more than that every month. Plus if one sucks you can throw it back and try something else without being stuck with having already paid for it.

Something I've been meaning to do is write more reviews for the stuff I've read on there but I've been too lazy :effort:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 17, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Post with info and trailers, they had an ova I didn't know about : https://futekiya.com/2020-bl-anime-movie-adaptations/
Linking primarily because it includes live action movies and I wasn't going to get into trying to list those in the OP but wanted to note the info somewhere:
his
Love Stage!!
Sei no Gekiyaku (Sex and Drugs)
Kyuuso wa Chizu no Yume wo Miru (The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese)
Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru (The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are way too many new releases on Renta/Futekiya/et al for me to list or post each one so I'm being selective and mostly focusing on print stuff but this one I'm genuinely excited about because I love this series and had no idea it had a third volume :siren:

https://twitter.com/blprism_/status/1243244419693842435?s=20

Honestly all of Niyama's series are really fun, the art is fantastic and very sexy and has a slightly retro vibe (sort of reminds me of City Hunter maybe?) so I'd recommend any of them.

This is the book that started the series: An Innocent Puppy Meets a Two-Faced Cat if you want to read from the very beginning but the cop spinoff one works just as well as a stand-alone.

e: Also this is a really good one -- one of those quiet, slow stories where people get over their poo poo and move on together
https://twitter.com/blprism_/status/1243242377860481024?s=20

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 26, 2020