Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

JESUS. I thought my 15 second loading times were bad. edit: seriously, if you have a computer good enough to move AW and to buy a VR headset, you should be able to buy a 500gb ssd.

Yeah if you still use a rotational hard drives for anything other then cold storage in TYOOL 2020, it's probably time to bite the bullet, upgrade from Windows XP, and do a fresh install of Windows 10 on an SSD

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Well drat, my left knuckle is drifting. I'm glad it's easy to change the deadzone. Also, when I two hand a pistol, the left one will just go off on vacation. I miss my touch controllers :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happyimp posted:

I miss my touch controllers :(

Same. I "Like" The knuckles, But they are not the second coming of VR Jesus.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Happyimp posted:

Well drat, my left knuckle is drifting. I'm glad it's easy to change the deadzone. Also, when I two hand a pistol, the left one will just go off on vacation. I miss my touch controllers :(

Better prepare yourself mentally about starting the RMA process - in my experience the deadzone adjustment will only tide you over for a few weeks at most. Once this starts happening it will rapidly get worse up to the point where even with max deadzone you won't escape the joystick input sticking in certain directions.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Get your RMA in now. Everything Valve is sold out and it’s just going to get worse as Alyx gets closer especially if it gets strong reviews and is a game changer.

One of my lighthouses got the blinking red light of death and it took 3 weeks for a replacement to finally arrive today...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

Mine's started doing this a bit, and it's a wee bit impossible/expensive to RMA from Australia :shepface:.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How terrible is the lenovo explorer really?

What I want is PCVR on a budget, I don't much care for anything but SteamVR games.

Do the controllers really suck that bad?

I'd prolly get it off ebay.

e: I could easily get a used Rift DK instead, if that is better? I've actually used that one back when it came out and I was at uni.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 20, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Any WMR headset is better than old Oculus dev kits.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EbolaIvory posted:

Same. I "Like" The knuckles, But they are not the second coming of VR Jesus.

*insert my bi-monthly rant about Touch supremacy*

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I have a Lenovo explorer and its perfectly serviceable. The display is solid, and the controllers are usually fine. Occasionally you'll have some tracking hiccups, but they resolve themselves within a moment or so.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Shine posted:

*insert my bi-monthly rant about Touch supremacy*

If a 3rd party company made a touch cv1 style controller for the lighthouses, I would pay so much money. Even trying to reload a 1911 sucks with the knuckles, since it's slightly too long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

If a 3rd party company made a touch cv1 style controller for the lighthouses, I would pay so much money. Even trying to reload a 1911 sucks with the knuckles, since it's slightly too long.

That's hopefully now a when, not if, with that new HDK out in the wild.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's hopefully now a when, not if, with that new HDK out in the wild.

I am very intrigued. Is it the razer one?

Also, someone add me to their steam friends list. It's Happyimp; I need to play vr games with folk.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought the knuckles were the the best vr accessory you could possibly have and now you're saying my rift touch controllers are better?

now I have nothing to look forward to thanks for making life horrible.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

^^^ Index is way better, just not the controllers

Owlbear Camus posted:

the one downside is you won't have enough time to read the load screen tips and learn like "press 'i' to access inventory" or "to kill the goblin lord, you must take its life"

this is a real problem sometimes. some games like to put important info on the load screens

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 20, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nuts and Gum posted:

I thought the knuckles were the the best vr accessory you could possibly have and now you're saying my rift touch controllers are better?

They're much better. The only thing I would miss about Knuckles would be the simultaneous touchpad and joystick, which is handy in games like H3VR.

Gonna save myself some typing and just quote from earlier:

Shine posted:

I would take the Touch controllers over them in a heartbeat if they were Lighthouse compatible.

Basically, the finger sensing stuff is largely a gimmick because VR games are all designed to work with Touch/Vive as well, so other than making hand gestures in poker games or whatever, there's really no gameplay purpose to it. And it doesn't work well for, say, communicating in ASL (the first thing my wife tried) because it doesn't detect if your extended fingers are touching each other or not. For a pop culture example, you can't do the Spock "live long and prosper" thing and have the Index mirror what your fingers are doing.

In games, the convenience of not having to hold the controllers is tempered by the requirement to remove your fingers when throwing things, which means the controller will shift around a lot if you throw something hard, such as in Echo Arena. You can mitigate this by strapping them super tight, but that's really uncomfortable, and they'll still shift enough that it makes me think about what they are doing on my hand, versus the Touch, which were secured by my ring/pinky fingers at all times and I would throw that disc as hard as I could without thinking about what the controller was doing. Ironically, the more "gamey" Touch controllers were more immersive for me, because they just disappeared into my hands and I didn't think about them or worry that they would slip around.

Index is fine (actually, great) for gentle throws, like tossing mags into the trash in H3VR, but I've all but stopped playing Echo Arena, because I'll basically have to use the trigger as grip and the grip as trigger, which means rewiring a lot of muscle memory. If anybody ever figures out a way to have only the middle finger sensor be used for grip, so that my ring/pinky fingers can just grip at all times like Touch, that'd be nice for games like Echo.

I also had to buy some 3D printed palm boosters to make them comfortable for more than like 20 minutes, and they're still not ideal. I have pretty large hands, but that wasn't a problem for Touch, which I could easily hold for hours on end.

Basically, the Index headset is stellar (and I play a lot of racing/flight sims where the controllers aren't used), but the controllers are a step down from Touch unless I wanna flip somebody off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happyimp posted:

I am very intrigued. Is it the razer one?

Also, someone add me to their steam friends list. It's Happyimp; I need to play vr games with folk.

No, Tundra Labs has released one which is about $130USD (their comparison is a Triad one for $350USD) and basically does all the heavy lifting on one chip for the tracking code. If I understand it correctly, development teams using this "only" need to physically design their SteamVR device and control inputs to plug into that chip, it connects to the tracking sensors and headset, and handles the actual positional coding natively.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Nthing on the "get an NVE drive if your mobo supports it" bandwagon. I got a 1tb Crucial one during Black Friday for about 70£ and the difference in speed is so massive that I initially thought my Win10 installation had failed, since it completed almost instantly once the "preparing files for installation" step had finished.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 20, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HTC are gearing up to release a bunch of variations of the Cosmos. One of them has support for SteamVR tracking and that is likely going to be the only one worth getting.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

SCheeseman posted:

HTC are gearing up to release a bunch of variations of the Cosmos. One of them has support for SteamVR tracking and that is likely going to be the only one worth getting.

1.0 base stations and vive wands? Nope that is absolutely not worth getting.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wheezle posted:

1.0 base stations and vive wands? Nope that is absolutely not worth getting.

It's the highest resolution headset with a wireless option. Other than that, no it isn't.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nuts and Gum posted:

now I have nothing to look forward to thanks for making life horrible.
Having the option to relax your hands by opening them and not dropping the controllers to the ground or into the straps, and then having to fumble to get them back into hands, trumps the rest.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well you can mount hand straps onto the touch controllers; I think there is a recomended brand though (I got these and they were not really comfortable because of the loop).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Not at $899/£899, that's firmly "get an Index instead" territory, and the writing's been on the wall for that since day-one. Especially when that bundle's using the original Vive Wands and Base Stations. At the very least you'd think they'd use the revised Wands and the Mk.2 Base Stations like the Vive Pro just for consolidating their manufacturing. There's also the fact they originally released the Cosmos's external-tracking faceplate to make it look like an ideal replacement for Vives and Vive Pro's, so they're hosed coming and going because those people are still gonna get Index hardware cheaper just picking up the headset or controllers on their own.

edit: I don't know what they gently caress they're thinking with the Cosmos Play version, because their tracking is crap as-is and removing two cameras surely can't end well.

quote:

Going back to our concern with the original Cosmos' pricing, HTC's new CEO Yves Maitre insists that the total cost of ownership -- including content -- for consumers is actually lower than its Oculus counterpart.

:lol: I'm amazed they managed to say this with a straight face.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Having the option to relax your hands by opening them and not dropping the controllers to the ground or into the straps, and then having to fumble to get them back into hands, trumps the rest.

They're also very lightweight compared to the Vive Wands.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 20, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, boneworks starts killing me and I start dropping weapons on purpose just to relax my grip for a bit. I thought the fidelity of the knuckles, along with comfort, would put them in a different league, but I suppose there isn't any software yet. Let's see what they come up with in Alyx.

That Italian Guy posted:

Well you can mount hand straps onto the touch controllers; I think there is a recomended brand though (I got these and they were not really comfortable because of the loop).

:eyepop:

Thats cool someone is trying to solve the problem. I"ll look around for other options. Thanks!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD new beta veraion
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/f6yb4v/virtual_desktop_beta_testing_release_version_195/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the version that lets you stream native Oculus games without Revive. Nice!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

This is the version that lets you stream native Oculus games without Revive. Nice!

This point is promising too

• Menu button on the left Touch controller now properly acts as a menu button in games (use a long-press to switch back to the UI or double-click to return to the desktop)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not at $899/£899, that's firmly "get an Index instead" territory, and the writing's been on the wall for that since day-one.

I don't think HTC is trying to compete at top of market

$899 vs $999 is 10% which is a months rent in places outside of capital cities in countries like Argentina, Brazil, Vietnam, Thailand etc. Look at the markets Blue, Huawei, Xiaomi etc are targeting to avoid competing with Samsung, Apple etc

If nobody in your town owns a VR headset yet it doesn't really matter if Index is better

Cosmos is available in a lot more third world countries than Index and Quest are. I think that is pretty firm evidence that they are trying to compete in volume in other markets.

Hardly anyone outside this thread has heard of the Wonder Swan Color, because everyone in the US has access to the higher priced Game Boy. Yet Square developed for, and sold a poo poo ton of Final Fantasy RPG on the Wonder Swan/Color in SE Asia. Would not surprise me if wonder Swan is still in production on some level today.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Do you still need to sideload the Sidequest version or is this native with the Quest Version of Virtual Desktop.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Do you still need to sideload the Sidequest version or is this native with the Quest Version of Virtual Desktop.

For this version at least it's still a test/beta so you'll definitely need to sideload. I suspect until Oculus changes their mind it'll always be a sideload only feature.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

For this version at least it's still a test/beta so you'll definitely need to sideload. I suspect until Oculus changes their mind it'll always be a sideload only feature.

Why were they forced to change this? Is Oculus going to release some kind of wireless update (or I guess a new headset with wireless capability) in the future and they want it to be their own thing?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

That Italian Guy posted:

Why were they forced to change this? Is Oculus going to release some kind of wireless update (or I guess a new headset with wireless capability) in the future and they want it to be their own thing?

Virtual Desktop can be a bad experience for people who don't have perfect 5ghz wifi and/or an RTX-class (faster encoding) GPU. Oculus won't risk bad experiences on their store so the whole sideload process acts as a big disclaimer.

You might have older gear and find it acceptable, or you might have the latest and greatest and it'll still act up, that's the nature of wifi, and Oculus doesn't want reviews saying "I bought a Quest for this and it sucks, returning!"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Virtual Desktop VR over WiFi feels pretty janky even to the power user

12 year old kid is going to tell Mom his be set is broken and then she's gonna return it. Or at least that's what at least one product manager at Oculus has been led to believe

I think virtual Desktop is a fantastic technical achievement but it's not ready for mouth breather mass adoption. It would need at least a 20% performance improvement to meet Oculus quality standards at this point in time

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Picked up Tetris Effect, I was a little skeptical as to how VR Tetris would be any better but wow, this game is incredibly cool.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Anyone know of a carrying case that would fit the Touch controllers when they have these grips (which I love).

It doesn't fit in the official case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X117LPR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rN0tEbKZCGTX2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Valve's confirmed Index hardware is coming back instock soonish before HL:Alyx releases, but only in small quantities due to Cornonavirus.

Hadlock posted:

I don't think HTC is trying to compete at top of market

$899 vs $999 is 10% which is a months rent in places outside of capital cities in countries like Argentina, Brazil, Vietnam, Thailand etc. Look at the markets Blue, Huawei, Xiaomi etc are targeting to avoid competing with Samsung, Apple etc

If nobody in your town owns a VR headset yet it doesn't really matter if Index is better

Cosmos is available in a lot more third world countries than Index and Quest are. I think that is pretty firm evidence that they are trying to compete in volume in other markets.

Hardly anyone outside this thread has heard of the Wonder Swan Color, because everyone in the US has access to the higher priced Game Boy. Yet Square developed for, and sold a poo poo ton of Final Fantasy RPG on the Wonder Swan/Color in SE Asia. Would not surprise me if wonder Swan is still in production on some level today.

It's still a $900USD purchase though, which is a pretty serious ask for someone in a third-world country on top of a viable PC. Handheld consoles and even smartphones aren't a fair comparison, because of course a $40-$70USD machine's gonna sell like mad, and even new-model smartphones can be had for relatively cheap on a monthly plan.

It'd almost certainly be cheaper to just import any other existing VR headset from overseas than buy a Cosmos locally.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 21, 2020

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The Wonderswan was 40 dollars at launch, not 900. Terrible comparison

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's still a $900USD purchase though, which is a pretty serious ask for someone in a third-world country on top of a viable PC. Handheld consoles and even smartphones aren't a fair comparison, because of course a $40-$70USD machine's gonna sell like mad, and even new-model smartphones can be had for relatively cheap on a monthly plan.

It'd almost certainly be cheaper to just import any other existing VR headset from overseas than buy a Cosmos locally.

Do you know the market outside of the US/Canada/UK really?

Its not that simple, or cheap to import for everyone. You should see the VR content that exists outside of our spoiled little world. Theres TONS of stuff, running on all kinds of wack hardware. And if HTC can drop a decent headset out, say the Cosmos Play, and its fine for everything outside of beat saber, its going to sell like heck.

For real, You should see whats available in the Viveport library when you're not localized and your accounts "global". The # of random headsets and stuff supported is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Importing is a pain in the rear end and can be expensive, but it's still more economical to import a cheap-rear end WMR headset than it is to buy a HTC HMD locally and I'd take a WMR headset over any of the inside-out tracking Cosmos variants any day.