Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Why would they do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
These combined with the final trailer that slopped out a few days ago pretty much confirms that there’s no hope for this. Just seven bad movies in a row, no big deal. That Digimon Renaissance is right around the corner.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I never thought I’d say this, but I’ll take two new Omnimon variants over these guys.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 18, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheHan posted:

These combined with the final trailer that slopped out a few days ago pretty much confirms that there’s no hope for this. Just seven bad movies in a row, no big deal. That Digimon Renaissance is right around the corner.

The reboot one was kinda ok. At least it hit the emotional notes. The problem was that the next movie backpedaled it super fast, which was a general problem the tri movies had, they'd introduce a cool idea, start developing it oh poo poo look at the time we only have 2 more OVAs and 5 new toys to promote digimon to introduce abort, abort!

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 18, 2020

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
If the spoilers are to be believed; these two new evolutions don't even get names.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

God I didn't even realize Greyman had a tiny noodle tail
I'm so glad that name is catching on.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

If the spoilers are to be believed; these two new evolutions don't even get names.
And it doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time soon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

I never thought I’d say this, but I’ll take two new Omnimon varients over these guys.

Same, honestly. I wouldn't be jumping for joy at a new Omegamon, but Omegamon at least has a functional, durable design that looks pretty good. Yes, it's Digimon's Charizard but that doesn't detract from its design.

lezard_valeth posted:

The reboot one was kinda ok. At least it hit the emotional notes. The problem was that the next movie backpedaled it super fast, which was a general problem the tri movies had, they'd introduce a cool idea, start developing it oh poo poo look at the time we only have 2 more OVAs and 5 new toys to promote digimon to introduce abort, abort!

Tri is let down by its backhalf more than its front half. Tri's front half were actually pretty good movies, but they were also built as tacit promises towards the future and under the glare of hindsight... Well...

If you go back to Tri 1 you'll see it was a movie very much interested in laying the foundation for a bigger story and that it's clearly building up to something. Consider all the side scenes establishing that the 02 kids are missing or all the times Hackmon popped up in the background and the pitch of some mystery threat on the horizon between the virus, the opening narration, and whatever is up with Alphamon and Maicoomon, and moreover the film gives the vague sense that SOMETHING happened between 02 and now to maybe explain some of the stranger character choices. Then Tri 2 is almost all character building leading into Tri 3 which ends in a BIG DEAL change that's all set to kick off the back half of the series by possibly reversing major character dynamics and doing something interesting and new and creating a sort of inverted model of nostalgia which might be metatextual, but no Tri 4 just 90 minutes of dumping on Sora while they abandon most of the plot to try something lamer.

Would Tri be better if it had stuck with its initial plotline? I don't know, but like, maybe they should have tried? Like in general?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t think Omegamon says his name in OWG, unless I’m misremembering, so I wouldn’t take that to literally mean those two are nameless.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nodosaur posted:

I don’t think Omegamon says his name in OWG, unless I’m misremembering, so I wouldn’t take that to literally mean those two are nameless.

don't know about the JP version but the Dub has him say his name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPR7S-qo8Ag&t=112s

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah but that’s the dub.

I’ll check the movie later

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omegamon is completely mute in the original. This is common in the movies, where attacks and such usually aren't called in the big moments of each movie. Imperialdramon PM is also silent, for example.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QlWbnSp2wE

To share the scene

The difference between the two moments is pretty stark but I don't think one is WORSE than the other. The Dub tries to play it up as this awesome, epic moment, with the Digimon proudly announcing who they are and only calling out their attacks which are pretty bitching attack names

The Japanese version is completely about how divine and perfect he is, with a very different feel.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Is Omegamon named in the credits in the Japanese version? Same might happen to Greyman and Garuruman.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
The thing with Japanese media is that usually they'll name these new movie characters in supplementary material that's released with the movie or something to that effect. Diaboromon never used his name in the Japanese version, and I think you'd only know what his name was if you read the pamphlet that was given out or read some issue of whatever magazine they used to promote the movie.

But these two are just nameless cool new dudes! Just wait for their release in an S.H. Figuarts two-pack for the low low price of 300 dollars!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The screeners last month didn’t even have finished animation. I’m pretty sure they’re not a precedent for what they’ll be releasing alongside the movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

The screeners last month didn’t even have finished animation. I’m pretty sure they’re not a precedent for what they’ll be releasing alongside the movie.

Finishing a poo poo doesn't stop it from being a poo poo man

We're looking at poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No amount of great animation is going to save the plot of this thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I really wish they’d do something new with this franchise one day (or at least, give some love to a series that isn’t Adventure for a change) I’m at least hoping that the Adventure reboot series coming out in a few months turns out to be decent at any rate.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

lezard_valeth posted:

For me the Tri movies are so much build up to later events that once we got to the big wet fart at the end it kinda retroactively ruined the earlier movies for me. The first one was exciting with all the dominos it set up and just seeing these characters again, but knowing there's no payoff for any of it what's the point?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheHan posted:

For me the Tri movies are so much build up to later events that once we got to the big wet fart at the end it kinda retroactively ruined the earlier movies for me. The first one was exciting with all the dominos it set up and just seeing these characters again, but knowing there's no payoff for any of it what's the point?

Pretty much.

I can enjoy the first three movies in a vacuum.

I cannot enjoy them in relation to the entire series because it's just a miserable hell circle that ends up with animation and fights...weirdly about on par with the original series.

Which is just sad

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Finishing a poo poo doesn't stop it from being a poo poo man

We're looking at poo

I’m not weighing in on whether they’re good or bad or whether the movie is or isn’t

But going like them being unnamed in the movie means they won’t name them elsewhere like the thread was doing feels patently absurd

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

No one was saying they'd be literally nameless, they were saying that Bandai doesn't seem to be releasing the names any time soon, so people will just be using joke nicknames for at least a month or so.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Re: Our War Game: I'm pretty sure they don't actually name Diablomon's line in the movie either. I recall the earliest summary of it just referred to "The enemy digimon". I could be flat wrong, but there you go. Similarly it took until after Tri 5 to get Ordinemon's name, and it took until after Tri 6 to get Omegamon MM's attack name.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm pretty sure the dub only identifies Diaboromon, leaving Keramon and Infermon nameless.

I didn't know that Chrysalimon existed until I played Cyber Sleuth.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheHan posted:

Digimon Tri: the Game of Thrones of anime

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm pretty sure the dub only identifies Diaboromon, leaving Keramon and Infermon nameless.

I think the Latin american dub names all the forms save the baby stages.

Which reminds me, Our War Games owned from the perspective of a latin american kid. The series latin dub used all the original japanese audios, but for the latin dub of OWG they went with the american audio, so OWG was the first time we got to hear the dub's Digimon theme and that transition worked perfectly. That theme has a lot of hype which worked great for the movie, and I'd imagine some of it would have been lost if you've already heard it for 56 episodes.

Thus latin american dub OWG felt like the perfect climax to the series both narratively, aesthetically and musicwise.....

and then they tacked the lovely Kokomon movie for the 2nd part, which used a completely different animation style that horribly clashed with the 1st part and the story was nowhere near as hype.

I'm seeing a pattern here with the 1st part of Digimon ruling and the 2nd part sucking rear end :thunk:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 19, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm seeing a pattern here with the 1st part of Digimon ruling and the 2nd part sucking rear end :thunk:

Season 2 joke and we're walking

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Season 2 joke and we're walking
I wanna open a noodle cart!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So this kind of came up with the Omnimon/Omegamon differences

But you know what scene REALLY benefits from the English dub's approach?

Piedmon VS Angemon. I'm sure there are other examples too, but Piedmon actually calling out his attacks, and the added reverb for the sound effects, give that whole scene a lot more impact than the Japanese/Spanish version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjOB16bUhPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChAGmN_Yx8

At least to me, it adds a lot.

Mind you, the Japanese version then COMPLETELY wins out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7a8fOaWow&t=25s with this

It's not even close

Burkion fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 19, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And today I was reminded that Piedmon's dub voice was an impression of Tim Curry as Pennywise.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

So this kind of came up with the Omnimon/Omegamon differences

But you know what scene REALLY benefits from the English dub's approach?

Piedmon VS Angemon. I'm sure there are other examples too, but Piedmon actually calling out his attacks, and the added reverb for the sound effects, give that whole scene a lot more impact than the Japanese/Spanish version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjOB16bUhPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChAGmN_Yx8

At least to me, it adds a lot.

Mind you, the Japanese version then COMPLETELY wins out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7a8fOaWow&t=25s with this

It's not even close

Hearing him scream out "TRUMP SWORD" when Angemon is careening through the air is significantly better than the silence in the original version. You're spot on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, okay, the music is great, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjOB16bUhPc&t=185s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
His sass in the dub IS pretty loving great, yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Chew on this!" "I'm not hungry."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
like the dub goes a bit too far with talking but man i loving miss digimon calling out attacks in the movies

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Funky Valentine posted:

Dub has them both say their names almost immediately after digivolving. Chrysalimon wasn't even in the movie, it was a point that he skip Adult and went straight to Perfect

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, would you look at that

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1230386738339680256

They didn't give them names after all.

Greyman and Garuruman it is!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Agumon, warp Digivolve to.....D.Gray-man!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Unless I'm blind, none of the promotional material has shown Mei. lol @ "sorry we killed your digimon, unfortunately you can't hang out with us anymore bai"

also what are the odds the agent lady drowned on the Cameo Ocean never to be mentioned again?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, we also get a look at Reboot Tai, Matt and TK on another page. We get a clear look at TK as he's in two pictures, and a blurry look at Matt and Tai (and another TK)

Matt's new shirt is hideous but whatever. What's interesting is that they're paired with WarGreymon, Metal Garurumon and Angemon.

We guessed the first two, since Omnimon's symbol is in the loving title, but it's interesting that TK has Angemon. Both because you'd think it'd be MagnaAngemon or Seraphimon, as his highest evolution, and because it apparently confirms that they'll all have the same Digivolution lines/partners.

Which wasn't much of a question except for TK and Kairi who were missing their Digimon.

If I had to guess, the poster fully confirms that they're going to be following the story of Adventure. TK's upset and Patamon is missing because Angemon dies fighting Devimon, and Gatomon is the mystery 8th Digimon so she's not around at first.

Does raise the question why Kairi is included at all. Hopefully she gets to join sooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Greyman and Garuruman it is!
I have a legacy! :toot: