Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
but the priiiiize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

on the one hand i didn't like how it felt like there were far fewer options to customize your crew's look (since fashion is always the most important part of any game) but on the other hand it didn't make you hoard 40 different pairs of pants that were slightly incrementally better than each other in various ways, always believing that you'd switch your gear up based on the mission parameters but ultimately just picking the best middle-of-the-road option and never deviating from that

Mass Effect 1 had One Correct Choice for all the armor thanks to the way the damage formula worked, and that was to pick the one with the highest damage reduction.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Wild Horses posted:

As i said, have both systems, at the same time. would make it feel like poo poo has evolved. if your gun overheats, pop the clip out.

that was the system they were going for iirc but it didn't work out, there were technical problems in implementation and interface problems in making it easy and intuitive for the player - me3 decided guns like the prothean rifle would be all one way or the other

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
ME 2 Mattock is quite possibly my favorite rifle.

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM.

The bullet firehose Revenant also rocks.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

No-heat AR setup in ME 1 also rocks.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
explosive bullet + marksman + double heat sink in ME1. PAWPAWPAWPAWPAW*beepbeepbeep*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Argh! Rawr! Argh!" - Saren

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

But wait! There's more! Seren wasn't wurking alone:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hard counter posted:

the climax - the part that's almost universally beloved - is an elaborate grading system for how well you developed your guys and if you subsequently understood them enough from your experiences to put them where they're needed most to survive a harrowing mission ... i don't think the integration is stapled, it's pretty solid and it comes together pretty neat there despite all the moving pieces and iirc people wanted more of it?

That's the one with the "Human Reaper", a concept so stupid it makes the Star Child almost good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The main plot of Mass Effect, that of the Reapers, is bad across all three titles often in different ways.

The B plot, that of a series of vignettes of space cop duty often with dull mundanity and intergalactic cultural issues, like the batarian in 1 who poisons you because human, is really fun. ME2 is regarded as best because its the one afforded the most time to just do that with the main plot being pushed the furthest in the back and the main missions more naturally feed into what you are expected to do at the end.

My ideal franchise is just to reboot the thing and remove the reapers and just be a games worth of ME2s B-Plot intertwined with standalone A-plots of some mundane but important issue a your character is tasked with dealing with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mass Effect would be better if it was just Babylon V.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Enemies Everywhere!!!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's the one with the "Human Reaper", a concept so stupid it makes the Star Child almost good?

i think we're trying to say different things, the whole last bit was deffo character-driven with the last fail condition hinging on the state of shepard's comrades, otherwise you'd die at the last jump to the normandy no matter how well you played the game mechanically in the last stretch; the character stuff isn't stapled on, it's pretty well integrated is what i'm saying- it can be your opinion that the story was dumb but it's hard to argue it also wasn't about the pals you'd been building up the whole way and i think that's what peopled enjoyed about me2?

either way a lot of people liked that part okay anyway, annihilating a giant reaper baby with a mini-nuclear explosion from a cain agrees with the kind of pulpy sci-fi mass effect was inspired by in the first place, there's no way it's on the same level as the philosophy 101 star child finale which was like playing a 10 minute long shrieking record scratch to derail the game one last time to make sure it was unsalvageable

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
me2 does a good enough job at spinning its extremely stupid plates, as well as me1's slightly less stupid plates, that when me3 inevitably dropped them as well as all of its own incredibly stupid plates, everyone blamed me3

it's a little like the sequel trilogy except the second entry doesn't fall flat on its face in the last fifteen minutes while the third entry does so even more spectacularly

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
in synthesis do all the husks regain their former memories and sentience

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The extended cut suggests they do

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
we all lived in perfect harmony except for the people who were condemned to an eternal living hell as sentient husks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pops Mgee posted:

Enemies Everywhere!!!

I will destroy you

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Joker’s hat lives an eternal half life of endless suffering

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'd be ultra mad if I randomly turned into half machine, just saiyan.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i let the geth kill the quarians and then i killed the geth through DESTROY

gently caress those guys, no eternal robot life for you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

me2 does a good enough job at spinning its extremely stupid plates, as well as me1's slightly less stupid plates, that when me3 inevitably dropped them as well as all of its own incredibly stupid plates, everyone blamed me3

Well yeah, because it's loving poo poo.

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

Barudak posted:

My ideal franchise is just to reboot the thing and remove the reapers and just be a games worth of ME2s B-Plot intertwined with standalone A-plots of some mundane but important issue a your character is tasked with dealing with.

I think they should just make the next game set about 5 years after ME3, the Reapers are gone and everything is basically back to normal. Most of the characters won't age much because of being aliens or maybe just future medical technology, some of them could come back if need be. Would anybody really care if the Geth or whomever were around again, even if their choices caused them to die a decade ago? We've all seen where adhering to those choices ended up, big waste of time, nobody needs it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ezis posted:

the Reapers are gone and everything is basically back to normal.

But that's not normal at all. It was reapers all the way down, first minute to last, fingers in every pie.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Wild Horses posted:

explosive bullet + marksman + double heat sink in ME1. PAWPAWPAWPAWPAW*beepbeepbeep*

Explosive rounds and double Scram Rails on a sniper rifle effectively turns it into a rocket launcher with a reload time you'd expect except there's no reloading animation and you can just switch to your Ragdolling Shotgun, with Sledgehammer Rounds. They weren't technically the best, but they were certainly the most fun.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I gave my space bro Garrus a sniper with explosives rounds and dual scram so I didn't have to hear the infernal beeping but still got to enjoy having random enemies incinerated.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I really love the way that the Mass Effect trilogy ends is paralleled with the way it began with the First Contact War: humanity encounters a much larger and more technologically advanced species that tries to wipe us out for reasons that are alien and unknown to us, but despite being outgunned and overwhelmed we're able to use our ability to work together for the greater good to persevere and eventually form synthesis with them.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think one of the problems with Mass Effect was the series explained / gave away too much about the Reapers and once they lost the mystery and the fact they didn't give a gently caress about Shepard & Crew from ME1, they got less and less interesting each game as they got more and more powerful and present. Somehow Dragon Age averted this with the Blight in DA:O being built up as the big end of the world apocalypse, but it really only hosed up like half of fantasy England, by the time we get to Inquisition the whole corruption of magic/heaven matters, but the driving doom of game one isn't really a factor and there is a wider world and bigger things happening.

Make it so Sovereign is essentially an Ancient Killbot that helped wipe out the Prothean Civilization, no weird conspiracy on the cycles and honeypot development. It got reactivated by the Geth as an AI God figure, and Sovereign and realizes the Reapers failed and uses the Geth / Saren as patsies for the plan. Maybe make it so the attack on the Citadel was Sovereign trying to reactivate other hibernating/inactivated reapers. The end of ME1 is Sovereign dying, but managing to send out the signal to wake up the remaining Reapers who are dangerous, but not literally cataclysmically galaxy ending like they were in the actual game, and maybe some of the Reapers don't have giant superdreadnought bodies which could lead to some weird variety and explain why some are more subtle than others, you could even do stupid poo poo like TIM is a Reaper Android or some poo poo that Bioware would love. Also the weird humanoid Reaper stuff could just be a Reaper that wanted a rad mecha body to gently caress poo poo up with.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 20, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Goon fanfiction continues to be worse that what we got.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I always assumed that there are like maybe a dozen reapers and they did their harvesting through turncoats/corrupted species instead of like bulldozing with thousands of robits.

Like, they all had names and personalities each instead being "murderbot918". The first talk with Soverign was truly unnerving in ME1.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

sassassin posted:

Goon fanfiction continues to be worse that what we got.

All fanfic is bad and mine is the worst.

Galewolf posted:

I always assumed that there are like maybe a dozen reapers and they did their harvesting through turncoats/corrupted species instead of like bulldozing with thousands of robits.

Like, they all had names and personalities each instead being "murderbot918". The first talk with Soverign was truly unnerving in ME1.

This is more what I was getting at, having a handful of Reapers manipulating the Galaxy into killing themselves instead of them all being superdreadnoughts with Zombie legions would probably have worked better.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Me1 was the best btw

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

The Klowner posted:

Me1 was the best btw

you have reactivated something that was buried and forgotten long ago. An ancient thing that would destroy the mind of any modern human that tries to interface with it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Buttchocks posted:

you have reactivated something that was buried and forgotten long ago. An ancient thing that would destroy the mind of any modern human that tries to interface with it.

yeah, mass effect 1

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Morinth was a really cool character idea and is near the top of my list wasted potential in the Mass Effect Universe. I've spent years being so intrigued by the way her dialogue half-heartedly teases the idea that Samara was actually the bad guy in their whole sad dance because of her zealotry and shame over having mothered three "monsters," that the stories Samara told about Morinth's evil deeds and Asari society's view of her kind in general may be lies, the letters she tried to send to her sisters at that Ardat Yakshi monastery where she speaks of the beauty she's seen in the galaxy and how she wished she could share it with them, see them again.

All the pieces are already there, but they just left them lying on the floor by making it obvious that its all just serial killer bullshit so she can murder you as well. She doesn't even show up in Samara's place to save her sisters! They already wrote two versions for if Samara died in the suicide mission or not, was a third with Morinth that much more of an ask? Such a bummer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I understand why she likes seeing the whole galaxy and living her life better than being secluded in a cloister, but she's also a vampire serial killer, and that's pretty awful.

It is pretty hosed up that the Asari are so into free love that when somebody develops their deadly STD mutation, they need to be imprisoned away from the world forever because they can't be trusted not to gently caress others to death.

Buttchocks posted:

That's why you get somebody else to do it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I understand why she likes seeing the whole galaxy and living her life better than being secluded in a cloister, but she's also a vampire serial killer, and that's pretty awful.

That's sort of my point. They wrote her as irredeemable and there was really no reason to do that, especially if they were going to include dialogue that hints that we might not have the whole picture only for it to turn out that its just more of her being a manipulative sociopath trying to eat you.

Its like they were ashamed that they even made recruiting Morinth an option in the final product, which, granted, its borderline out of character even for the most Renegade Shepherd and the quest utterly fails at justifying it, but why even bother making it an option if you were going to make it such a complete nothing, and then continue with it being a nothing in the followup game to boot?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Probably a mix of muddled priorities and a lack of writing talent. The Asari are an all female race with a terrible affliction that turns them into succubi. I mean, don't think too hard about it.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I don't know, I liked the fact that she was an unredeemable, evil psychotic. So often we get the character who's violent killing is just a shell over a vulnerable soft core, like Jack, but not Morinth. She kills because she enjoys it. In fact the game goes out of it's way to punish you for thinking, 'Oh, clearly I'm the person who can turn her away from this path. My love will save her!' Then she kills you. Game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Recently heard somebody ask "so why the gently caress did you never get an Elkor with shoulder miniguns as a playable character" and it just...made me so mad about all the squandered opportunities in ME.