Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Big the Cat is the only good post Sonic 3 sonic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is there some tangential connection between Frozen and Onward or did they just lazily reuse the title font? My daughter keeps seeing posters for Onward and is convinced it's a Frozen movie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I actually thought the ‘The next planet will be all mushrooms, but mushrooms suck’ was a fun dig at Mario.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Saw Sonic last night with my sibling, we both loved the games growing up and we had a good time going "yo they referenced X, that's awesome" and were also surprised at how genuine a lot of the emotional beats were. Personally, I was surprised at how much more I was being taken in by the plight of a blue hedgehog compared to, I dunno, Black Widow dying for reals

Between this and Detective Pokemon, the video game movie genre seems to have found a groove that works.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I imagine the Sonic sequel will introduce some more stuff from the games like Tails, Super Sonic and maybe Metal Sonic as a new opponent.

The third movie can be Sonic 3 & Knuckles :haw:

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

I imagine the Sonic sequel will introduce some more stuff from the games like Tails, Super Sonic and maybe Metal Sonic as a new opponent.

The third movie can be Sonic 3 & Knuckles :haw:

You have to buy two tickets to see the whole movie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CrimsonAuthor posted:

You have to buy two tickets to see the whole movie
You get the post-credits scene if you bring in your Sonic 2 stub.

Sonic 2 should also be the Sonic CD poo poo, btw

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

SCheeseman posted:

Big the Cat is the only good post Sonic 3 sonic character.

Shadow is good :colbert:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/i/events/1230003281461559296

The Onward preview reviews are out.

Looks like it's standard Pixar fare of emotional manipulation (it seems to hit harder if you've lost someone close to you so be warned with that), the plot itself is apparently pretty thin but Octavia Spencer kills it as well as Tom Holland and Chris Pratt (moreso Octavia than the latter two though).

Not enough trash unicorns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

quote:

Onward is essentially Pixar's ABOUT TIME.

lmao that's a no thanks from me boss

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how many sequels they'll try for. one? two? thirty? they're completely hamstrung by how many Jim Carrey wants to do, though. He's clearly in it for the next one, but I wonder if he'll drop out past that. The movie's made nearly 60 million on its opening weekend which is, well, that's a lot more than I expected honestly, and the showing I went to was a sold out sunday afternoon, with the following showing also sold out. They've gotta try to milk this thing for all its worth, but I really wonder where they go from here.

I really hope they go way harder in the direction of the sonic bullshit. turn the fungal world into a variety of the robotnik zones. have the animals from sonic's world generate energy and thus robotnik wants to stuff'em in ladybug and fish robots as power sources to take over the world. throw in Scratch and Grounder as lackeys, I don't know. There's a bunch of bullshit they could pull from, hell they could even go the route of the saturday morning cartoon instead of big the cat and amy.

actually, I'd prefer that, over having big the cat and amy appear in any sonic movie

Bare minimum, I want Tails, Knuckles and actual glowey gold spikes up flying Super Sonic. After that I just hope they keep Tyson Hesse on board to keep the fan stuff going. Bonus would be Big the Cat and Shadow. I'd really love for them put Shadow in there. Make sure Tyson Hesse sticks around so that Shadow is treated with the absurdity his edgelord personality deserves and isn't treated too seriously.

I feel like the next movie will be Tails and Sonic becoming friends, and the villain story will be Robotnik tricking Knuckles. Plus you can use Knuckles to tie into the Chaos Emeralds.

I'm kind of shocked Agent Stone didn't have like, Snively as a middle name or something, I really thought that's where they were going to go with him.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1230003281461559296

The Onward preview reviews are out.

Looks like it's standard Pixar fare of emotional manipulation (it seems to hit harder if you've lost someone close to you so be warned with that), the plot itself is apparently pretty thin but Octavia Spencer kills it as well as Tom Holland and Chris Pratt (moreso Octavia than the latter two though).

Not enough trash unicorns.

I think Onward looks like a really fun movie, I'm excited for it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m looking forward to all the gags with/about fantasy creatures :3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Bare minimum, I want Tails, Knuckles and actual glowey gold spikes up flying Super Sonic. After that I just hope they keep Tyson Hesse on board to keep the fan stuff going. Bonus would be Big the Cat and Shadow. I'd really love for them put Shadow in there. Make sure Tyson Hesse sticks around so that Shadow is treated with the absurdity his edgelord personality deserves and isn't treated too seriously.

I feel like the next movie will be Tails and Sonic becoming friends, and the villain story will be Robotnik tricking Knuckles. Plus you can use Knuckles to tie into the Chaos Emeralds.

I'm kind of shocked Agent Stone didn't have like, Snively as a middle name or something, I really thought that's where they were going to go with him.

I think Onward looks like a really fun movie, I'm excited for it.

if stone and eggman were related then you couldn't ship them

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Looper posted:

if stone and eggman were related then you couldn't ship them

Oh my sweet summer child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Amusingly in my showing the thing that got the biggest audience reaction was Robotnik shaving his head with a sharp rock, the whole audience audibly winced at that.

I think that's supposed to be a piece of metal from his aircraft.

The_Doctor posted:

I actually thought the ‘The next planet will be all mushrooms, but mushrooms suck’ was a fun dig at Mario.

The drawing on the world map (just realised, ha, it has a world map) kinda clearly indicates it's meant to be a reference to Mushroom Hill Zone.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Has anyone else seen Ride Your Wave, the new Yuasa movie? I thought it was pretty good. I wasn't expecting a Ghost/Splash hybrid that goes pretty hard, but it worked.

The animation felt a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it was amazing and sometimes it felt off somehow. There's a shot of a guy pulling himself across a rope, and it felt like some just dragging a drawing across a background.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The whole mushroom planet was obviously supposed to be a reference to Mushroom Hill Zone but that "I hate mushrooms" line was 100% a Mario joke

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The whole thing kind of reminded me of Norse mythology to be honest. Sonic ended up in Midgard after fleeing Alfheim, and Robotnik ended up in what he will make into Jotunheim.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

The whole thing kind of reminded me of Norse mythology to be honest. Sonic ended up in Midgard after fleeing Alfheim, and Robotnik ended up in what he will make into Jotunheim.

I was getting some vibes it was doing Yggdrasil better than the Thor movies. And some interesting implications that compared to other worlds, Earth is mystically deficient but technologically advanced.

Does anyone have a screenshot of Sonic's map?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ugh guys stop talking about your dumb video game movie and start talking about mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgIPtEwy8k

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DC Murderverse posted:

ugh guys stop talking about your dumb video game movie and start talking about mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgIPtEwy8k

that looks very 90s but not in a good way

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It reminds me of DC's blandly animated movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ThermoPhysical posted:

It reminds me of DC's blandly animated movies.

yeah it's made by the same people, Mortal Kombat is slowly but surely turning into a DC property since it was picked up by Warner Bros.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So this looks neat:

https://twitter.com/Roweyourboatz/status/1230573997542105091?s=19

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lord, Miller, and one of the writers from Gravity Falls? Yup, I think my wife and I will see that in theaters (something I haven't said about Pixar in quite a while).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Phil Lord and Chris Miller is all they even needed to put in the headline. They didn't even need to put a picture of the movie.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
worth noting this is what was previously being called "The Mitchells vs the Machines"

also this is being written by not just 1 but 2 Gravity Falls writers: director Mike Rianda (who wasn't just a writer on the first season, but also season 1's creative director), and the film's co-director Jeff Rowe (who was a writer on season 2 and Disenchantment)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Phil Lord and Chris Miller is all they even needed to put in the headline. They didn't even need to put a picture of the movie.

Agreed.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Mitchells vs The Machines was such a better title...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie is up on Netflix and it's pretty delightful, about on a par with the first. A solid story, lots of good visual gags and sci-fi nods (some subtle, some less so.)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So The Strokes decided for their striped-down, low energy, melancholy new single, they needed an animated music video. Specifically, one that's a love letter to the weirdo, off putting, non-Disney Eastern/American animated films (that definitely should have not been placed in the children's section at the rental store). There's distinct references to Watership Down, but if the other segments are also references to other features then it's lost on me.

So check out some cool poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAz_vvsK9M

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a CGI Pokemon movie coming to Netflix in a week? And the first I heard about it is today?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a CGI Pokemon movie coming to Netflix in a week? And the first I heard about it is today?

I think that's the remake of the very first Pokemon movie you're referring to. That's probably also the reason.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So The Strokes decided for their striped-down, low energy, melancholy new single, they needed an animated music video. Specifically, one that's a love letter to the weirdo, off putting, non-Disney Eastern/American animated films (that definitely should have not been placed in the children's section at the rental store). There's distinct references to Watership Down, but if the other segments are also references to other features then it's lost on me.

That’s really cool and the song is also great

I wish all those movies existed irl

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I looked it up and the directors mainly cited Heavy Metal and Watership Down as influences, but also Neverending Story, Angel's Egg, Neo Tokyo/Memories, and Fantastic Planet, so that tracks

Caveman Cat
Oct 20, 2012

MAJOR

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I looked it up and the directors mainly cited Heavy Metal and Watership Down as influences, but also Neverending Story, Angel's Egg, Neo Tokyo/Memories, and Fantastic Planet, so that tracks

The flying car scene looks like it had some inspiration from Akira and The Incal too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1230893144436281344?s=20 well this also partly explains why Buck looks so off.

JUST USE A REAL DOG FOR NON-ACTION SCENES!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

First openly LGBT Disney cartoon character is both a troll and a cop

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1230905686004912129?s=19

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

First openly LGBT Disney cartoon character is both a troll and a cop

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1230905686004912129?s=19

watch as it's referring to a romantic partner as a "they" in a way that is interchangeable with how people casually talk about third-party entities who arent present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that said, go goodtweet at it because 99% of the comments are about how gays should die, so. we pick our battles here.