Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

The only horror game I own is Last Night on Earth, it’s pretty fun but it always takes a while to remember how to play it and it always seems too daunting to explain to house guests when we’re considering which game to play. Also it’s quite a bit more fun to play as the survivors, even though I think being the zombies is easier in most game modes. The zombos feel too generic.

The first time I played this game we massively misread a rule and now it takes forever to play because I second guess myself on every rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

The first time I played this game we massively misread a rule and now it takes forever to play because I second guess myself on every rules.

We did the same thing. I can’t remember the specifics but I remember it massively overpowering the zombie team.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's the part that you're questioning?

What the literal hell is spaghetti gravy?? Did we forget the word for tomato sauce?

Italians say gravy. You need to watch more Scorsese and The Sopranos.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Italians say gravy. You need to watch more Scorsese and The Sopranos.

Only American born Italians say gravy and “moozarell.” They even bring this up in an episode of the Sopranos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

What are some peoples favorite murder with a boiling pot scenes?

Mine is Angelheart

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

Only American born Italians say gravy and “moozarell.” They even bring this up in an episode of the Sopranos!

It's true, there's a unique Italian American dialect that has a lot of Neopolitan and Sicilian mixed in that gives us this. It's generally considered "not real" because it comes from how a lot of the working class in the southern part of the peninsula (so double looked down upon) spoke.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Mine is Angelheart

Fatal Attraction :carol:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Mine is Angelheart

That gumbo pot was too wide. How are you going to keep the soup from scalding when you have to walk around the freaking pot to stir it? These murder pots are very impractical.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

I saw Fantasy Island! It is Not Good. The beginning scenes of the torture room make no sense when the twist is revealed at the end, and the whole story really just falls apart. Michael Peña glowering all the time got old really fast, when he’s much better being cheeky smiley chap (à la Antman/The Martian). Also the Tattoo reveal made me cringe so hard.

This is a stupid question, but is it worth seeing if you're a sucker for beautiful tropical scenery? I'm curious to see it just for that and almost don't care that the movie probably sucks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i didnt like the new sonic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Letters from Whitechapel was one of my favourite games until I played their stripped down version, Whitehall Mystery. It’s a much purer, streamlined game with less faffing about in parts, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

If we're talking board games, The Thing board game is fun.

Camp Grizzly is pretty light on the rules and a fun time. I think an expansion is coming out soon.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143096/camp-grizzly

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

We all have our Horror Holes. I still haven't seen Bride of Re-Animator or Ravenous or Rear Window or American Psycho or any of the Purge movies. :shrug:

I'll make a letterbox'd account if you watch Ravenous this weekend.

OK it's too late I made the account after you effortposted about it for Kvlt! but you should still watch Ravenous this weekend.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rather than multipost, I'll just quote/respond like mad in one.

sigher posted:

This is a stupid question, but is it worth seeing if you're a sucker for beautiful tropical scenery? I'm curious to see it just for that and almost don't care that the movie probably sucks.

I thought the scenery was nice. As far as the film goes, the premise is good. It's the execution where it really dropped the ball.

quote:

Discussion of Italians, Sicilians and Gravy

The rule of thumb is sauce has no meat, gravy has meat. Both can have vegetables in them. To call spaghetti gravy spaghetti sauce essentially says either you're not Italian or Sicilian so you don't know better, you've only eaten that crap from jars so someone needs to cook you some proper food STAT, or your family took the Italian interment camps in the US and Canada during WWII really hard so they were embarrassed by their ethnicity/culture so they went total mainstream and you weren't exposed to it so we need to get you to some family gatherings to re-embrace your roots.

Hollismason posted:

Mine is Angelheart

Other than Angelheart, Sleepaway Camp and the original My Bloody Valentine, I can't think of many boiling pot deaths. Now death by deep fryer, there's a bunch of those.

MacheteZombie posted:

If we're talking board games, The Thing board game is fun.

Zombies!!! is pretty fun. However I do advise to be careful playing it when cats are around. My two attacked the board and we were picking zombies out of the carpet for weeks. The original Arkham Horror was pretty good too. My all time favorite is a Monopoly knockoff from way back when called Creature Features where instead of properties, you're buying scripts and actors.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

And there's a whole film devoted to microwave deaths, Microwave Massacre

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The_Doctor posted:

Letters from Whitechapel was one of my favourite games until I played their stripped down version, Whitehall Mystery. It’s a much purer, streamlined game with less faffing about in parts, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

:same:

also the recent Jaws board game is a blast

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tarnop posted:

:same:

also the recent Jaws board game is a blast

He doesn't post here much, but that is a goon-made game by Sarx

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The only game you guys should be playing is Atmosfear.....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaz2k21 posted:

The only game you guys should be playing is Atmosfear.....

Just :lol: if you didn't have it's predecessor, Nightmare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhu03vk-B0

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'll make a letterbox'd account if you watch Ravenous this weekend.

OK it's too late I made the account after you effortposted about it for Kvlt! but you should still watch Ravenous this weekend.

I promise to make a concentrated effort to watch it this weekend! And will report back.

You and others have permission to politely pester me as a reminder to watch it. Cuz sometimes when I'm picking a movie, I forget the two or three movies that I said "I'll watch that tonight!" throughout the day.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: if you didn't have it's predecessor, Nightmare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhu03vk-B0

Had that and the three expansion sets for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i didnt like the new sonic

wow yet you get mad when we talk about the lighthouse cause it's not horror

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the lighthouse is a black comedy, sonic is a horror movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know you exclusively like the horror thread, but talk about Sonic in GenChat or make a thread for it, please.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyway the real secret of the horror thread is we basically talk about whatever we want with a group of regular posters who are cool. Within reason so that the iron fist of our mod doesn't come down on us. ^^^^

I watched The Bride With White Hair last night, it was very good. Really really nice looking, as Neo Rasa said it was. Not a horror movie though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh poo poo people are talking about horror board games? Well I have good news, THE FURY OF DRACULA has been back in print!

If you ever played Scotland Yard it's like that but with Mina Harker, Van Helsing, Dr. Seward, and Lord Godalming (two lesser characters from the novel) tracking Dracula down across Europe instead of detectives tracking a regular murderer down across London. Up to five people can play, one of whom is Dracula. Dracula's piece isn't actually shown on the board as he moves around though, instead as the other players move and do stuff they have to see the trail of new vampires/deranged servants/etc. evil bullshit Dracula leaves in his wake and work together to track him down. Then there's some basic combat and unique abilities each other player has to help out with that. It's gets very intense because while the game can go on for quite some time if everyone is unlucky there's still a kind of timer if Dracula either kills all his opponents or if he spreads enough evil bullshit around than he wins. But also in the abstract, the other players have various spies and contacts helping them out too off screen, represented by how Dracula's trail is shown via cards that player puts out regularly. The backs of them show whether he's traveling by land or sea which lets the players deduce a general direction, but like if Dracula retreats back to his castle then that is instantly known, but it's like, literally Dracula's castle so he has more poo poo to call on. Generally they do a good job making both the hunters and Dracula feel equally threatening.

Here's an older review that basically sums up why I love it:

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-fury-dracula/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
For whatever reason, you guys talking about slasher movies made me come around to seeing that Green Room is a horror movie. It's a slasher movie where the slasher is a Nazi gang leader who slashes by proxy with his gang members. The entire gang thinks and acts as a unit, they're all collectively The Slasher.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway the real secret of the horror thread is we basically talk about whatever we want with a group of regular posters who are cool. Within reason so that the iron fist of our mod doesn't come down on us. ^^^^

I watched The Bride With White Hair last night, it was very good. Really really nice looking, as Neo Rasa said it was. Not a horror movie though.

It's the best thread on the forums and this thread is really the only place I post with any regularity

hell yeah

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

It's the best thread on the forums and this thread is really the only place I post with any regularity

hell yeah

Agreed! That's why I don't want to ruin it with discussions about the Not Good Sonic Movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

either we can talk about joker AND sonic or we can't talk about either goddamn man CHOOSE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Another one is that there's an old board game based on The Keep! One player controls basically the main characters the movie, the other controls Radu Molosar and a small horde of servants of his. It's relatively fast, the game ends in 12 turns. Basically the character controlling the main characters have to search for the artifact/hilt thing that Scott Glen attached to a metal rod to destroy Molosar with in the movie. Molosar and his servants try to stop them from finding it. Molosar as some one-off abilities to use to help him out, and each of the main characters has some special ability too. The interesting thing about it is that the player using Molosar has TWELVE servants to control also, a veritable army. However he has to consume one every turn to stay alive.

Basebf555 posted:

gently caress yes to all of this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really love The Keep and I wish it was easier to recommend because there's just not an easy way to find a decent version of it(the one on Amazon video is lovely). I'd buy a blu ray release day one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I really love The Keep and I wish it was easier to recommend because there's just not an easy way to find a decent version of it(the one on Amazon video is lovely). I'd buy a blu ray release day one.

Haven't seen it yet for this very reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The Keep is the one with the monster in a castle right?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

On the subject of horror board games, anyone have an opinion about Mixtape Massacre? I’ve come close to buying it a few times but couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger for some reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Same here.

A few years ago a good version of it was on Netflix, picture quality was good, had the original Tangerine Dream soundtrack, I have no idea why it was removed or/and never popped up again. Even the soundtrack itself, it's so weird that it's a movie that only exists in bootleg form today.

I know it's a polarizing flick but just in general the cast, sci-fi/horror, "Weird War II," Ian McKellan, 80s movie and 80s synth soundtrack and Michael Mann looks (even if you doesn't know who Michael Mann is I think that's still relevant), like it checks off enough nerds-would-like-this boxes that it's bizarre to me that it's not readily available.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

either we can talk about joker AND sonic or we can't talk about either goddamn man CHOOSE

Okay, neither. Joker at least had gun horror, blood, Mental Illness As Scary Stuff, and an oppressive atmosphere. Sonic is a kids movie.

Don't be upset because I don't probate people for talking about non-horror stuff in the horror thread and just ask them to take it somewhere more appropriate. I don't think you actually want that.

edit: horror board game chat is fine, cuz it's horror related

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 20, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

The Keep is the one with the monster in a castle right?

There's more to it than that but maybe? Are you possibly thinking of Castle Freak?

Neo Rasa posted:

I know it's a polarizing flick but just in general the cast, sci-fi/horror, "Weird War II," Ian McKellan, 80s movie and 80s synth soundtrack and Michael Mann looks (even if you doesn't know who Michael Mann is I think that's still relevant), like it checks off enough nerds-would-like-this boxes that it's bizarre to me that it's not readily available.

Only thing I can think of is that Mann himself doesn't like it, because his stuff never seems to be hard to find. Even the somewhat lesser known films like Thief and Manhunter have had nice blu ray special editions from boutique labels.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 20, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

There's more to it than that but maybe? Are you possibly thinking of Castle Freak?

Neo Rassa confirmed it's the one I'm thinking of because I definitely saw it on Netflix, I want to say it was about 6 years ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Only thing I can think of is that Mann himself doesn't like it,

I feel stupid now for not realizing that would make a difference and it is definitely the reason why. He didn't even like the book it was based on, it was infamous hacked up from how he originally wanted it cut, and it's noticeably almost NEVER brought up or acknowledged even in retrospective sort of stuff. I know music licensing is often cited for why it's not on DVD/blu-ray but he pretty clearly hates the end product, IIRC the author of the novel hated it too. If you Google "Michael Mann The Keep" you'll find a bunch of articles about how much it's intentionally forgotten.