Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I gotta say this direct is exceeding my expectations. There is so much customization (especially with the terraforming) that your town (island) can really look like a town as opposed to just a bunch of houses/shops randomly placed throughout a forest like a lot of the previous games felt. I can foresee people spending ridiculous amounts of time designing layouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

absolute perfection

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

jackhunter64 posted:

absolute perfection

:perfect:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kidcoelacanth posted:

THIS GAME IS GONNA FUCKIN RIP YO

Seriously how in the gently caress am I supposed to wait a whole rear end month?!?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

so glad they took the time to get this right

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The amount of control you have over your island is amazing, I was not expecting being able to change the terrain. I wonder if you can still drop custom textures on the ground now that paths are official...

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

building a god drat moat around my house to keep haters and Kyle out.

I'm slightly disappointed amiibos weren't integrated more.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

idea for the wait - firing up new leaf and obsessively making patterns to use

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

building a god drat moat around my house to keel haters out.

My only disappointment is they only mentioned Animal Crossing amiibo as supported. Sadly this means no Ganon villager. Maybe that is someone who will be supported later, but it sounded like on AC amiibo.

Otherwise this looks completely amazing, and I know people will have amazing towns modeled off of other games.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I cannot think of a single reason not to preorder the game right now. I just need to decide if I want it on a cart or on the digital version...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like this game is gonna have massive escalation from the sound of it, you start out just camping out and doing carpentry and end up single handedly building an entire village

This is def Nook finding a sneaky way to get people to build entire towns of customers for him

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Look, everything is cool and good and I'm excited... but man no new species shown off or new villagers glimpsed? I want a taste of the writing too :smith:

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

restricting axes and shovels to best friends is such a good change

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Mad Wack posted:

idea for the wait - firing up new leaf and obsessively making patterns to use

This is cool too, people put a lot of work into New Leaf so it's cool they can bring that forward

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i look forward to my beautiful penis shaped lakes complete with waterfalls coming out of the tips

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

robot roll call posted:

The amount of control you have over your island is amazing, I was not expecting being able to change the terrain. I wonder if you can still drop custom textures on the ground now that paths are official...

There was a pencil icon on the path menu which suggest being able to make custom paths.

Magical Girl Wand for new favorite tool.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

Fritzler posted:

My only disappointment is they only mentioned Animal Crossing amiibo as supported. Sadly this means no Ganon villager. Maybe that is someone who will be supported later, but it sounded like on AC amiibo.

Otherwise this looks completely amazing, and I know people will have amazing towns modeled off of other games.

did they mention AC amiibo cards?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

glassyalabolas posted:

The fact that you can seemingly be able to invite every normal villager to the campsite once you build it is already above what I had originally assumed the game was going to let you do with them.

Like in New Leaf that feature almost seemed OP to an extent, given how that title was still made with a lot of the old restricted Animal Crossing rules in place. I assumed New Horizons would just like, give you their portrait to put on your desk and that's all the amiibo would do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

prepuce repurposed posted:

Yep, both cards and actual amiibo are supported, though not all characters will be in at launch (you can just try again later).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yep, they're used to invite specific animal pals to your campground.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Looks like the native texture res is 2x what New Leaf is. When they imported the New Leaf QR texture, it ended up taking 1/4 the canvas.

Everything looks amazing so far. There is so much possibility for people's custom islands.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe Pelly, Pete, and Phyllis are loving dead.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

drat poo poo! Why did I think this was at noon EST? I caught the tail end of it, guess I gotta play catch-up at lunch.

What I saw looked simply amazing, although the verbiage was really scary having jumped in mid-Direct and not immediately realizing the narrator was playing up the "Nook Inc. Getaway Package" bit ("we plan to offer... in the future you can buy...")

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Yes. AC Amiibo cards and figures will be supported. They showed inviting Bunnie to the village from her card, and trying to invite DJ KK, but he is not supported yet. In addition you can use the amiibo to stage elaborate photoshoots.

Need to get a Big Top and Ankha card (although Ankha is too expensive for me to buy probably). I have cards for the rest of my favorite villagers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm going to ruin my island trying to make it look good then cry about it for a good while.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anything interesting come up in the FAQ/After? My stream cut out and I can't seem to get the video to play anymore.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I wonder if the tool ring they showed will actually store tools (so they don't take inventory space) or if it's just a quick select. This may be the most exciting change for me.

New Museum looks cool as gently caress though. They showed a tent on the beach itself, I hope I can have a beachfront house in this game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

Anything interesting come up in the FAQ/After? My stream cut out and I can't seem to get the video to play anymore.

Nah that was basically the end of the direct.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Oxyclean posted:

Go here to rewatch:

https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/02-20-2020/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I don't even know what to say at this point. Nintendo looks to of put EVERYTHING in this game that I'd ever want out of an AC game. The options and interface all look so robust and well thought out that New Leaf looks like a sort of crude alpha version by comparison. Everything looks so rich, vibrant and filled with detail. The music samples they played all sound so freaking awesome!

I'm SUPER stoked that holidays and events will continue to be added via free DLC. I would think that by not having to have all of them done and in the game on Day 1, they will be able to have a lot more time to flesh them out so when they are released, it becomes kind of a big content update.

I am actually in a mild state of freak out about this game. Like, I've wanted it for so long and now it's not only here, but it's some kind of next level, end game Animal Crossing to-boot.

It all looks so, so beautiful.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I can't wait to recruit my neighbors and discriminate pigs and frogs entirely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Recruiting villagers is going to be weird and I don't know how I feel about it because most people are just going to welcome the cute ones while Hippos or the ugly freakzoids are going to get completely shunned. I always let out a groan when a villager I didn't like moved in but it was the only way I was ever going to see them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like how everytime they mention debt in Animal Crossing they have to add that it's interest free, no deadline, and a bunch of other poo poo lol.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1230497835050618885

Are these two what the kids these days call Twinks? Because I'm not seeing my old beaver and chameleon pals anywhere. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm SUPER stoked that holidays and events will continue to be added via free DLC. I would think that by not having to have all of them done and in the game on Day 1, they will be able to have a lot more time to flesh them out so when they are released, it becomes kind of a big content update.

I think its more to just discourage time travelling to all the seasonal events right off the bat; i wouldn't get too hyped about the holiday events being greatly expanded

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fritzler posted:

Yes. AC Amiibo cards and figures will be supported. They showed inviting Bunnie to the village from her card, and trying to invite DJ KK, but he is not supported yet. In addition you can use the amiibo to stage elaborate photoshoots.

Need to get a Big Top and Ankha card (although Ankha is too expensive for me to buy probably). I have cards for the rest of my favorite villagers.

I watch some villager cards on eBay and when that direct ended Ankha's card jumped like fifteen bucks in price. It's nuts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

No seriously how am I supposed to wait a month to play this

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The sheer flexibility to customize your island is really exciting. I did not expect to be able to modify cliffs and rivers.

What buildings did they advertise? Museum, Shop, Tailor? I have to imagine there might be some unannounced ones? I wonder if you're able to give Kicks a store to stay at or if he will just always be a visitor?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1230497835050618885

Are these two what the kids these days call Twinks? Because I'm not seeing my old beaver and chameleon pals anywhere. :colbert:

Joan, Nat, and Chipp died in the war 5 years ago. It's time to let them go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
As long as they let me build the coffee shop I don't give a gently caress