Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

On our Dell R730s I haven't seen any failures, but one of the hosts experienced errors with the SD card redundancy about a year ago. After testing the card to rule out hardware errors I deleted and re-created the redundancy pair. It's been stable ever since.

It's worth noting that Dell has replaced the bootable SD card option with either a single or dual NVMe drive which is way better from both a reliability and a performance standpoint. I assume that HPE is doing the same on their Proliants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hot tip: if you use the minimum size supported sd card it will automatically disable writing logs to it and they generally last forever. You have to manually point the logs at a datastore or syslog collector but you should be doing that anyway

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I wasn't aware that the scratch partition would EVER be made on sd media

drat sd riser is so expensive that I just can't see it ever making sense. Not when the m.2 sata BOSS is reasonable priced

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Ok, I need some advice on Virtualbox.

My company is prototyping a network device, but is having trouble with the firmware. The chip manufacturer does not have the tools to test our niche device, so they want to give us a VirtualBox VM (filled with their firmware dev tools) they can VPN into.

This VM will be running on a spare laptop, hooked up to our Network on one port, and the prototype on another port.

Is there any way to set some network ACLs in Windows 10 / VirtualBox to limit the VM's network access?
Or will I have to wipe and reinstall Linux to use iptables?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

IMO it'd be far easier to attach the laptop to your network on a separate VLAN and restrict connectivity on that side instead of mucking around on the host.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
That... actually makes far more sense. Just slap an ACL on the switch instead. Thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you are really concerned and need to avoid a potential switch configuration roll-back/change causing a problem then order a new broadband connection and use it just for that laptop

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
Nah, the lab has its own dedicated switch. I can configure it however I need to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehh, I'm reticent to ask this in here because I feel like I'm one good google search away but somehow it's eluding me.

I'm struggling to decide on a toolchain to move from hand-provisioning lab VMs and move to an infrastructure-as-code model. I've been doing a lot of work with ansible to configure servers after they're provisioned, but I haven't ever been able to close the loop and ditch the ESXi GUI.

In my mind I'm polling to see is there's any obvious advice to be gleamed here. Ideally I'd like to figure out a toolchain where I have a concept, say a k8s cluster, I code the hardware as one spec, the OS/app config as a second spec, and I'm two commands away from spinning up a whole set of working servers. In the back of my mind I'm also looking to do the same for all the infrastructure that ESXi is providing me, vSwitches, state of the vhost itself, etc.

I've looked into vagrant and it seems plausible but I've read it's more for spinning up development environments than maintaining infrastructure. Terraform seems like the other obvious choice. Am I anywhere near "warm" on this? Are there any additional tools I should be investigating? I'm asking from a place of ignorance because I've always worked at places where infrastructure, development, and configuration management are all very monolithic and I've never really been exposed to other concepts.

I'm happy to keep talking it though if I'm not asking the right questions but hopefully you guys can guess what I'm seeing in my mind's eye. If there's a better place to ask this then I apologize and I'm all ears. I poked the virtualization thread because it's immediately relevant to my specific homelab, but ideally the concepts carry over to the cloud and are platform agnostic for the most part.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Martytoof posted:

Ehh, I'm reticent to ask this in here because I feel like I'm one good google search away but somehow it's eluding me.

I'm struggling to decide on a toolchain to move from hand-provisioning lab VMs and move to an infrastructure-as-code model. I've been doing a lot of work with ansible to configure servers after they're provisioned, but I haven't ever been able to close the loop and ditch the ESXi GUI.

In my mind I'm polling to see is there's any obvious advice to be gleamed here. Ideally I'd like to figure out a toolchain where I have a concept, say a k8s cluster, I code the hardware as one spec, the OS/app config as a second spec, and I'm two commands away from spinning up a whole set of working servers. In the back of my mind I'm also looking to do the same for all the infrastructure that ESXi is providing me, vSwitches, state of the vhost itself, etc.

I've looked into vagrant and it seems plausible but I've read it's more for spinning up development environments than maintaining infrastructure. Terraform seems like the other obvious choice. Am I anywhere near "warm" on this? Are there any additional tools I should be investigating? I'm asking from a place of ignorance because I've always worked at places where infrastructure, development, and configuration management are all very monolithic and I've never really been exposed to other concepts.

I'm happy to keep talking it though if I'm not asking the right questions but hopefully you guys can guess what I'm seeing in my mind's eye. If there's a better place to ask this then I apologize and I'm all ears. I poked the virtualization thread because it's immediately relevant to my specific homelab, but ideally the concepts carry over to the cloud and are platform agnostic for the most part.

Terraform is what you want for creating infrastructure on a cloud platform of some kind, whether its AWS, vSphere or whatever: Like VMs, attaching disks to VMs, and networking VMs. It looks like a terraform provider does exist for direct interaction with ESXi without vCenter if thats your thing. https://github.com/josenk/terraform-provider-esxi.

Terraform isn't great when it comes to k8s manifests, though, try kustomize for that. Your post is a bit ambiguous as to whether you want to be maintaining workload on k8s or on VM infra.

Don't be afraid to pick the right tool for the job: if you want to use Vagrant for your local testing and development and then separately be using terraform to create your AWS/vSphere infrastructure you can. You don't need to try and make a single tool do anything.

You can try the devops thread too
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for this, I’ll transition to devops for details. I’m not yet at the point of using a 3rd tool to orchestrate my k8s deployments outside of the bare k8s infrastructure. Essentially I think my entire post can be summed up with the hypothetical statement of “today I deployed three centos vms using the esxi GUI and then spent 20 minutes cutting and pasting commands into an ssh session to install kubernetes. Tomorrow I want to do it with twenty minutes of scripting and two commands, repeatedly”

There seems to be a large overlap in what terraform and vagrant do from my limited perspective, and I’m falling into the trap of analyzing to death which tool I want to use to achieve perfection instead of just using a tool to get the job done and move on if it suddenly stops fitting my needs. I had almost written off vagrant because its VMware provider seems to be paid (or is that just the local VMware ws/fusion provider?) which stinks for tool selection, but there seems to be an esxi equivalent of the terraform provider you posted, and I rarely do any local virtualization on my laptop so that’s a non issue.

Anyway, some things to think about, thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for this, I’ll transition to devops for details. I’m not yet at the point of using a 3rd tool to orchestrate my k8s deployments outside of the bare k8s infrastructure. Essentially I think my entire post can be summed up with the hypothetical statement of “today I deployed three centos vms using the esxi GUI and then spent 20 minutes cutting and pasting commands into an ssh session to install kubernetes. Tomorrow I want to do it with twenty minutes of scripting and two commands, repeatedly”

There seems to be a large overlap in what terraform and vagrant do from my limited perspective, and I’m falling into the trap of analyzing to death which tool I want to use to achieve perfection instead of just using a tool to get the job done and move on if it suddenly stops fitting my needs. I had almost written off vagrant because its VMware provider seems to be paid (or is that just the local VMware ws/fusion provider?) which stinks for tool selection, but there seems to be an esxi equivalent of the terraform provider you posted, and I rarely do any local virtualization on my laptop so that’s a non issue.

Anyway, some things to think about, thanks!

For configuration you'll want ansible. Which you can also use to provision vagrant boxes.

Check out Jeff Geerling's ansible galaxy roles, I'm sure he has one for k8s.

E: here you go: https://galaxy.ansible.com/geerlingguy/k8s

E2: he's got a book on using ansible and k8s and his Ansible for DevOps is really good too.

https://www.ansibleforkubernetes.com

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 15, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Arishtat posted:

It's worth noting that Dell has replaced the bootable SD card option with either a single or dual NVMe drive which is way better from both a reliability and a performance standpoint. I assume that HPE is doing the same on their Proliants.

M.2 seems to be the best choice for any use where hot-swapping isn't necessary. When I rebuilt my homeserver I seriously considered using a pair of 16GB Intel Optane drives for the OS, because those were the cheapest NVMe drives around and the OS doesn't need more space than that. What finally stopped me was that I couldn't verify from the motherboard manual whether those NVMe slots would eat any of the SATA ports.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I am running a handful of VMs on an ESXi server. When I want to use them, I do so from a Mac using Fusion. What is the best way to migrate the VM to the Mac if I want to use a VM away from home. The options I am considering are:

-migrate the VMs to an external drive when I want to take them to go

-try to find a way to migrate the VM directly from the server to internal storage on the Mac

-there is an easier answer I am not aware of

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DEUSFORORUM posted:

I am running a handful of VMs on an ESXi server. When I want to use them, I do so from a Mac using Fusion. What is the best way to migrate the VM to the Mac if I want to use a VM away from home. The options I am considering are:

-migrate the VMs to an external drive when I want to take them to go

-try to find a way to migrate the VM directly from the server to internal storage on the Mac

-there is an easier answer I am not aware of

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2082121

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003

Thanks.

Then can I just push the local version back to the server and merge/overwrite that one so that it keeps any changes from the local copy.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If I want to build a new homelab server running esxi and also have a ton of disks am I setting myself up for suffering by passing the sata disks to a VM running freenas? The disks I would be passing to freenas would be slower spinning disks and the VMs would be running on a separate SSD. I also considered doing hardware raid but in 2020 that seems kind of old school and not as flexible but I am just kicking around ideas. I really don't know what other options I have to gain disk redundancy while also running esxi.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cr0y posted:

If I want to build a new homelab server running esxi and also have a ton of disks am I setting myself up for suffering by passing the sata disks to a VM running freenas? The disks I would be passing to freenas would be slower spinning disks and the VMs would be running on a separate SSD. I also considered doing hardware raid but in 2020 that seems kind of old school and not as flexible but I am just kicking around ideas. I really don't know what other options I have to gain disk redundancy while also running esxi.

I like to keep the data storage and vms on separate machines but I've seen plenty of people do exactly what you're suggesting without problem.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

cr0y posted:

Best way to do this is to pass a controller directly through to the FreeNAS VM.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Rexxed posted:

I like to keep the data storage and vms on separate machines but I've seen plenty of people do exactly what you're suggesting without problem.

Zfs on freenas and present nfs to esxi...is that sane?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, ZFS isn't going to like that much layers normally, but people do it.

Personally, I like having my FreeNAS box seperate to provide iSCSI or NFS mounts to the ESXi/Xen box for VMs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't seem to find any videos of thin clients starting up right into a VM login. Does such a thing not exist? Do you always have to log into a local OS first? Because that seems pretty lame for 2020.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Shaocaholica posted:

I can't seem to find any videos of thin clients starting up right into a VM login. Does such a thing not exist? Do you always have to log into a local OS first? Because that seems pretty lame for 2020.

Generally you can configure away any local login but they're generally built to dump you right to a Citrix/Horizon/etc logon screen instead. I'm sure there are ones that can be configured to launch right into an RDS session instead but I haven't ever had a use case for that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What would be the best troubleshooting method to go through to determine why a guest Linux OS deployed from a template isn't receiving guest customizations? Guest has open-vm-tools installed which, I understand, ought to be able to handle guest customizations.

CentOS 7, vSphere and ESXi 6.7. open-vm-tools are latest as of whatever is available in epel-release today.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

What would be the best troubleshooting method to go through to determine why a guest Linux OS deployed from a template isn't receiving guest customizations? Guest has open-vm-tools installed which, I understand, ought to be able to handle guest customizations.

CentOS 7, vSphere and ESXi 6.7. open-vm-tools are latest as of whatever is available in epel-release today.

vSphere or ESXi logs probably.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a Linux VM that will not stay on the network. It drops off, the MAC disappears from the switches. I can't talk to it until I start a ping from that virtual machine, using the console.

It goes back to normal for a few minutes or maybe an hour or two and then drops off again. I can be running a ping to it from my workstation and then it just stops replying. My SSH sessions drop out randomly. It's loving annoying.

It's one of the only Linux VM's that we have. Ubuntu 16.04. It's running Apache/php/Wordpress. I figured I would spin up a new VM, install 18.04, copy over the database and web files...but it does the same thing.

We have a 5-host cluster so I thought moving it to another host in another part of the building would help but it does the same thing. 3 hosts are in one server room, 2 in the other, both connected to a stack of 5 HP A5120 (Comware) switches.

It seems like a networking problem - but out of 80 hosts this is the only one that has that problem. It persisted through an upgrade from ESX 6.5 to 6.7. I've tried using both the E1000 and VMXNET3 network adapters.

No messages on the Linux server itself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

vSphere or ESXi logs probably.

Figured it out -- apparently open-vm-tools requires perl as a dependency for template deployments but doesn't actually install it. I guess the logic might be that perl is only required for deployments which can be considered an edge case compared to just installing open-vm-tools on an already-running VM (??)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

I have a Linux VM that will not stay on the network. It drops off, the MAC disappears from the switches. I can't talk to it until I start a ping from that virtual machine, using the console.

It goes back to normal for a few minutes or maybe an hour or two and then drops off again. I can be running a ping to it from my workstation and then it just stops replying. My SSH sessions drop out randomly. It's loving annoying.

It's one of the only Linux VM's that we have. Ubuntu 16.04. It's running Apache/php/Wordpress. I figured I would spin up a new VM, install 18.04, copy over the database and web files...but it does the same thing.

We have a 5-host cluster so I thought moving it to another host in another part of the building would help but it does the same thing. 3 hosts are in one server room, 2 in the other, both connected to a stack of 5 HP A5120 (Comware) switches.

It seems like a networking problem - but out of 80 hosts this is the only one that has that problem. It persisted through an upgrade from ESX 6.5 to 6.7. I've tried using both the E1000 and VMXNET3 network adapters.

No messages on the Linux server itself.

Kinda dumb idea, but do you have any leftover bare metal you can install the Linux image onto to determine whether this is actually a virtualization problem?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cr0y posted:

I did exactly that until I got tired of esxi and just used Debian as my hypervisor with libvirt and ZFS. If VMs need access to the pool, I export the dataset via NFS on an internal network. If I were still running Freenas, I'd pass through the raw disks, which is done with less weird fuckery straight from the GUI instead of editing vmdk definitions to point to raw storage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Kinda dumb idea, but do you have any leftover bare metal you can install the Linux image onto to determine whether this is actually a virtualization problem?

Not at the moment. I setup a CentOS VM and it's rock solid.

I did something goofy with the ubuntu VM....I'm running 'ping x.x.x.x -i 15' in a terminal to ping our default gateway every 15 seconds...'fixed' the problem for now until I get more time to experiment and take the site down.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You could try ubuntu 19.10 and if that works upgrade to 20.04 in a few months, or ideally port the whole thing over to centos.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have an old ISO file on a datastore that I don't need anymore...but I can't delete it. Owner is "00000000-00000000-0000-000000000000", the permissions are also a little goofy.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.4G Dec 5 15:18 SenseViewServer16.04_8CPU_12GBMEM_200GBHD-11619v2.ova
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Aug 30 2018 SymantecEncryptionServer3.4.2HF1.iso
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 420 Feb 6 19:57 VMware
-rw------- 1 root root 3.5G Dec 13 2017 VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-7119157.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.9G Apr 12 2019 VeeamBackup&Replication_9.5.4.2753.Update4a.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Apr 12 2019 VeeamONE_9.5.4.4566.Update4.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.4G Mar 25 2019 XenApp_and_XenDesktop_7_15_3000.iso
[root@ESXI02:/vmfs/volumes/598072bf-48e78224-063f-e8393501f9b0] vmkfstools -D /vmfs/volumes/ISO-Store/VMware-VCSA
-all-6.5.0-7119157.iso
Lock [type 10c00001 offset 194088960 v 69, hb offset 3637248
gen 1, mode 2, owner 00000000-00000000-0000-000000000000 mtime 16365465
num 1 gblnum 0 gblgen 0 gblbrk 0]
RO Owner[0] HB Offset 4182016 5e454ff8-61acb612-5e5f-e8393501f9b0
Addr <4, 457, 10>, gen 14, links 1, type reg, flags 0, uid 0, gid 0, mode 600
len 3740432384, nb 3568 tbz 0, cow 0, newSinceEpoch 3568, zla 3, bs 1048576
[root@ESXI02:/vmfs/volumes/598072bf-48e78224-063f-e8393501f9b0] rm /vmfs/volumes/ISO-Store/VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-
7119157.iso
rm: can't remove '/vmfs/volumes/ISO-Store/VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-7119157.iso': Device or resource busy

Any ideas?

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I have an old ISO file on a datastore that I don't need anymore...but I can't delete it. Owner is "00000000-00000000-0000-000000000000", the permissions are also a little goofy.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.4G Dec 5 15:18 SenseViewServer16.04_8CPU_12GBMEM_200GBHD-11619v2.ova
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Aug 30 2018 SymantecEncryptionServer3.4.2HF1.iso
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 420 Feb 6 19:57 VMware
-rw------- 1 root root 3.5G Dec 13 2017 VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-7119157.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.9G Apr 12 2019 VeeamBackup&Replication_9.5.4.2753.Update4a.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.3G Apr 12 2019 VeeamONE_9.5.4.4566.Update4.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.4G Mar 25 2019 XenApp_and_XenDesktop_7_15_3000.iso
[root@ESXI02:/vmfs/volumes/598072bf-48e78224-063f-e8393501f9b0] vmkfstools -D /vmfs/volumes/ISO-Store/VMware-VCSA
-all-6.5.0-7119157.iso
Lock [type 10c00001 offset 194088960 v 69, hb offset 3637248
gen 1, mode 2, owner 00000000-00000000-0000-000000000000 mtime 16365465
num 1 gblnum 0 gblgen 0 gblbrk 0]
RO Owner[0] HB Offset 4182016 5e454ff8-61acb612-5e5f-e8393501f9b0
Addr <4, 457, 10>, gen 14, links 1, type reg, flags 0, uid 0, gid 0, mode 600
len 3740432384, nb 3568 tbz 0, cow 0, newSinceEpoch 3568, zla 3, bs 1048576
[root@ESXI02:/vmfs/volumes/598072bf-48e78224-063f-e8393501f9b0] rm /vmfs/volumes/ISO-Store/VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-
7119157.iso
rm: can't remove '/vmfs/volumes/ISO-Store/VMware-VCSA-all-6.5.0-7119157.iso': Device or resource busy

Any ideas?

Check and see if any VMs have it mounted? If you can PowerCLI it up, here is a quick one-liner to list every VM that has an ISO mounted: Get-VM | FT Name, @{Label="ISO file"; Expression = { ($_ | Get-CDDrive).ISOPath }}

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure how useful the output would be in the context of ESX, but my first instinct in this case on a Unixy box of any sort would be to run "lsof" and see which process has the file open, then chase it from there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It seemed like every hit I found on the VMware forum is someone who has a stuck VM and therefore vmdk file, where this is just a rando file.

wolrah posted:

Not sure how useful the output would be in the context of ESX, but my first instinct in this case on a Unixy box of any sort would be to run "lsof" and see which process has the file open, then chase it from there.

That was the very first thing I tried and nothing came up.

Tev posted:

Check and see if any VMs have it mounted? If you can PowerCLI it up, here is a quick one-liner to list every VM that has an ISO mounted: Get-VM | FT Name, @{Label="ISO file"; Expression = { ($_ | Get-CDDrive).ISOPath }}

That did the trick, thanks! Would have taken forever to do this manually.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

That did the trick, thanks! Would have taken forever to do this manually.

Awesome, glad that worked.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm trying to get nested virtualization (Proxmox=>Win10=>Virtualbox=>Linux) working on a Ryden 3900.

I've followed the guide at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization I've read the forums such as https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-10-1809-nested-virtualization-does-not-work.52554/ but it still doesn't work. Currently, I have the VM set as:

code:
agent: 1
args: -cpu 'host,+svm,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off,hypervisor=off'
bios: ovmf
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: host,hidden=1,flags=+virt-ssbd;+amd-ssbd
efidisk0: rpool:vm-113-disk-1,size=1M
hostpci0: 2b:00,pcie=1
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win.iso,media=cdrom,size=363020K
machine: q35
memory: 32768
name: t-pain
net0: virtio=D6:13:96:FB:4A:7B,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
scsi0: rpool:vm-113-disk-0,size=64G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=5f58ad26-c659-4542-8fe4-536d73cd0323
sockets: 1
vga: none
vmgenid: 51e24c5f-5fa2-4a4f-a625-60b31dcdd633
runs fine and GPU passthrough on it is working. However, when I go to start any Virtualbox Linux VM inside it, the kernel locks up during the boot process. I suspect that the AMD path is less documented than the Intel one and I'm missing something simple. Has anyone gotten nested virtualization to work on a Ryzen with Proxmox + Win10 + Virtualbox? Or any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Virtualbox is bad, maybe use W10's built-in Hyper-V service

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

honestly is there a reason you're not running the *nix vm in promox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

honestly is there a reason you're not running the *nix vm in promox

The end goal is bluestacks on the proxmox machine. Or rather 5 simultaneous android production apps. I’ve tried anbox, bluestacks, and Memu