Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Toozler posted:

2-2'd this. Rolled first 2 opp then ran into t4 Elspeth t5 Nylea guy and guy who dropped t4 Archon on me both games. Bummer, card quality seemed good, def realized gy size is pretty important.

Anyway, next

Draft
40 cards

Openings were pretty awful. 3x Death worth splashing with just Omen to fix? UG lacking removal made me think it was worth it. Cut Hydra's growth but that might be my only way to win other than Eutropia

haven't looked at the draft yet, but Relentless Pursuit/Sweet Oblivion/Thassa's Oracle is a powerful engine. usually Oracle works best in black self mill since you can Omen of the Dead it back, but it could do work here, especially if you're short on win conditions. Also Pursuit helps you find your swamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did anyone who tried to cheat the champions email thing get multiple codes?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I made like 10 spare email accounts before I got bored to maximise my chances, but I've only gotten the reward code on the email tied to my MTG account, so I wouldn't be surprised if they only let emails that have mtg accounts on them get rewards. PVDDR was my 3rd choice but on my main email I picked Javier :negative:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Yeah it seems as though they only sent codes to emails with registered mtga accounts. Of course the code is usable on any account so next time we just have to make 15 accounts to go with the emails...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah it seems as though they only sent codes to emails with registered mtga accounts. Of course the code is usable on any account so next time we just have to make 15 accounts to go with the emails...

This is all sounding like more time than it's worth for a few rare ICRs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

This is all sounding like more time than it's worth for a few rare ICRs.

I will never not spend work hours at my 6 figure job trying to save 10 cents on this game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I recommend simply picking the correct person to win, like I did

When a dude's bio literally says he's "arguably the best Magic player of all time" why wouldn't you pick him

(I know basically nothing about professional Magic, had never heard of most of the players, and legitimately used this exact reasoning)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Veib posted:

I recommend simply picking the correct person to win, like I did

When a dude's bio literally says he's "arguably the best Magic player of all time" why wouldn't you pick him

(I know basically nothing about professional Magic, had never heard of most of the players, and legitimately used this exact reasoning)

This is pretty solid reasoning. Paulo is generally considered to be one of the top 3 players of all time. The other two still play, but I wouldn't pick them to win anything now. But Paulo has been a top player for a long time, and might actually be in the midst of the best period of his career right now, so yeah, even without the benefit of hindsight he was a good choice.

I went with Autumn Burchett, mainly because their Mono-Blue Devotion guide helped me to briefly hit Mythic a while back, the only time I ever came even close to doing so.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I will never not spend work hours at my 6 figure job trying to save 10 cents on this game.

Epic brag

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

rujasu posted:

This is pretty solid reasoning. Paulo is generally considered to be one of the top 3 players of all time. The other two still play, but I wouldn't pick them to win anything now. But Paulo has been a top player for a long time, and might actually be in the midst of the best period of his career right now, so yeah, even without the benefit of hindsight he was a good choice.

I went with Autumn Burchett, mainly because their Mono-Blue Devotion guide helped me to briefly hit Mythic a while back, the only time I ever came even close to doing so.

I went with Autumn because national pride, but mostly because I like their hair.

I wonder if the stats will be made available to the players of how many people backed them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

I went with Autumn because national pride, but mostly because I like their hair.

I wonder if the stats will be made available to the players of how many people backed them.

There's no way on Earth WotC releases that data, it would lead to a pretty disgusting display on Twitter and other socials and lots of feel bads.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What benefit to literally anyone would releasing that information have

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Javier prob the most popular because he was on the top left

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
and winning

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I would just like to know how many people won, to more effectively lord it over the losers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

I would just like to know how many people won, to more effectively lord it over the losers.

we're all losers here buddy

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i picked nassif because he has a good stream and seems like a great guy

i'd love to see him stream poker

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well this is a disappointing P1P1. Some decent commons but no obvious (to me) first pick. Thoughts?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wow yeah there's really nothing outstanding there. The rare is only so-so, no major bombs, no removal.

I'd probably go for Setessan Training, Oracle, or Lampad, but it's solidly meh overall.

Probably Lampad, because black, but actually probably oracle because i personally love red/white.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 21, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thirst or Chimera for me there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thespaceinvader posted:

Wow yeah there's really nothing outstanding there. The rare is only so-so, no major bombs, no removal.

I'd probably go for Setessan Training, Oracle, or Lampad, but it's solidly meh overall.

Probably Lampad, because black, but actually probably oracle because i personally love red/white.

I know black is good but I'm actually thinking Lampad is one I can rule out, because there are no other black cards in the pack for the wheel. Sure I'll probably have an idea of another colour by then but it still seems more optimal to pick a colour I have a chance of following up on. The two commons in each of blue, red, and green are all playable so I think it should be one of those. I'm open to counterarguments though

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 21, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's legit. it's not like you're going to struggle for Lampads later if you need one, most likely.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm not blown away by that pack but I'm hardly upset at the prospect of playing Thirst for Meaning

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Oof. After playing against 6 counterspell decks over 10 matches today, I'm going to have to take a break until the weekly reset. I really, really hate counterspells.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 21, 2020

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The festival of the gods starts tomorrow so you can just play that on the weekend.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Spiderdrake posted:

The festival of the gods starts tomorrow so you can just play that on the weekend.

drat, I somehow missed this announcement. Looks like 5 events, 3 days per event, each one on a weekend.

Here's the specific decks people will be playing for each event:

Fires of Purphoros: Standard Artisan
Nylea's Call of the Wild: Giant Monsters Emblem
Heliod's Glory: Immortal Sun Emblem
Erebos's Memoir of Death: Historic Brawl
Thassa's Briny Bounty: 150-card Preconstructed Singleton

Anyone want to start taking a crack at these deck lists?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
In case anyone wants a reminder of what the Immortal Sun does:

• Players can't activate planeswalkers' loyalty abilities (but PW passives still work)
  • At the beginning of your draw step, draw an additional card
  • Spells you cast cost 1 generic less to cast
  • Creatures you control get +1/+1

With PW passives still working, Narset stands to be even more annoying than usual since she would shut down the free card draw, and her controller can't use her minus ability so she sticks around that much longer. Assuming Narset isn't banned from the event; I haven't seen any ban lists for these.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What is giant monsters?

E: found it, whenever you cast a 4-cost creature, draw a card.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 21, 2020

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

In case anyone wants a reminder of what the Immortal Sun does:

• Players can't activate planeswalkers' loyalty abilities (but PW passives still work)
  • At the beginning of your draw step, draw an additional card
  • Spells you cast cost 1 generic less to cast
  • Creatures you control get +1/+1

With PW passives still working, Narset stands to be even more annoying than usual since she would shut down the free card draw, and her controller can't use her minus ability so she sticks around that much longer. Assuming Narset isn't banned from the event; I haven't seen any ban lists for these.

Wonder if they're going to keep all the "when you draw your second card each turn" cards. Pyromancer in particular seems a bit broken in this format.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Turn 1 Wolverine seems like a beating and a half.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Getting a 2/2 flier every turn with Improbable Alliance seems pretty strong

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

What is giant monsters?

I imagine it’s like “every creature is a 7/7” or we all get like a passive Kiora/Elemental Bond emblem

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 21, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If it's the same one as before, it's draw a card if you cast a 4 mana or greater creature.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Getting a 2/2 flier every turn with Improbable Alliance seems pretty strong
I feel like, if they leave it as is, I'd rather go wolverine->mancer->torbs

Maybe maybe the Purphy feat combo deck around that even (since feat on three will then make purphy into drak)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Common/uncommon only seems to be asking for anax shenanigans I think?

Maybe heroes go wide? I've been fiddling with it in the play queue and it's fine there but tends not to be quite fast enough against normal decks, but given that there are literally no rare+ components in it it might do well in Fires of Purphuros.

Not sure it's worth the buy-in when the reward is only cosmetics though :(

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
My shifting ceratops, whose sole purpose is to give me something against counter heavy blue decks, got countered by a blue enchantment (Ashiok's Erasure) :sigh:

gently caress Magic Forever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Spudalicious posted:

My shifting ceratops, whose sole purpose is to give me something against counter heavy blue decks, got countered by a blue enchantment (Ashiok's Erasure) :sigh:

Elspeth Conquers Death is also like the perfect counter to it as well, Ol’ Shifty has been my shining beacon for a long time but I think the answer now is to just win the counter war and lean in on Mystical Dispute.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Well this is a disappointing P1P1. Some decent commons but no obvious (to me) first pick. Thoughts?

It's a weak pack but I think p1p1 there's a clear best pick, Incendiary Oracle. Chimera and Thirst would be my next choices, but I hate being in blue without a bomb or a clear finisher, and Chimera is good but gets progressively worse in multiples, while you would happily run 5+ oracles.

I think the fourth card in this pack is Karametra's Blessing. One of the best white strategies is just suiting up a pegaus and Karametra's protects it while also just being a valuable combat trick the rest of the time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spudalicious posted:

I can't remember what card it was but in really early MTGA there was one blue card that could "counter" Banefire somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Giving yourself shroud/hexproof, redirecting it or exiling it from the stack all do so.

Welcome to Blue.