Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The military won the day against Godzilla in Raids Again and that's about it as far as unaided stuff goes.

Other kaiju movies is another matter. Varan for example got wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Varan sucks

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mantis42 posted:

Varan sucks

The movie is pretty forgettable (and the Americanization is actively bad) but the monster design is cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Varan the Unmemorable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gripweed posted:

That wasn't the military

In fact, I would say the entire point was to PREVENT the military from stopping Godzilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Rebirth of Mothra 3. It wasn't as bad as Rebirth of Mothra 2!

I liked the dynamics of the main family. They were much better than the lovely kids of RoM 2 and the more cartoonish family from RoM 1

The new Rainbow Mothra puppet was fantastic. It seemed a lot more articulated than previous Mothras, and just changing the shape of the wings made it look a lot more dynamic. I really liked how they made the wings out of cloth so they would move more when they flapped, that was a great touch. Best Mothra, imo

The Past Ghidorah suit was good too

And the middle fight in the past was great. I was worried it would just be a retread of Mothra vs DesGhidora, but they did different stuff and I liked it, even if it was a bit short.

All that being said, the movie wasn't great

What the gently caress was going on? The Fairies are all dressed as evil queens now, and they find the Triforce, and then Ghidorah shows up and is sending kids into a orb, and one of the good Fairies is evil, but then the other kills herself to open a time portal, and they put together all three swords with the Triforce to make the Master Sword, and that's able to open the orb, which doesn't actually effect Ghidorah at all? Why were the Fairies putting together a weapon that only can open Ghidorah orbs before Ghidorah showed up, and why did the one Fairy turn evil? Why was Ghidorah putting kids in the orb? Is that a Ghidorah thing? I haven't seen many movies featuring Ghidorah, does he put people in orbs?

The early scenes of Ghidorah sending kids to orbs were good and creepy, but the movie doesn't commit to that tone. If it had really gone all in on kid horror, it would've been fantastic! Kid horror and Kaiju would be a great combination! But instead it doesn't do that. It loses the kid antics of the first two movies, doesn't replace it with kid horror to the extent it really should've, and the good family dynamics are wasted by the family being separated for almost all of the movie. So the end result is a very bland tone.

And while I liked the Past Ghidorah suit, the present day Ghidorah suit seemed a little awkward. And it was kinda disappointing that the big bad of the whole trilogy was just Ghidorah.

So yeah, Rebirth of Mothra 3. Some good points, not as bad as Rebirth of Mothra 2, but not very good or memorable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh yeah one other thing, the final fight was dogshit and Armor Mothra is an abomination

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
More Arrow Video Gamera Collection news

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1230556686751940608?s=21

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hard to justify double dipping when I have the DVD collection and most Gamera movies are bad but still neat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mantis42 posted:

Hard to justify double dipping when I have the DVD collection and most Gamera movies are bad but still neat.

Yeah that price is probably reasonable given the quality of the set itself, but most of those movies just aren’t good enough to justify it for me personally. I’ve got one of the OOP blu volumes and the MST3k box, so I’ll just wait and see if this ever shows up cheap during a Fopp or B&N sale.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Gamera Super Monster is a bad movie but IMO it’s good for putting on when hosting loud parties.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That is too much money, but I will buy it if it is available for less money in the future

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You're goddamn right

Pretty much all your points are dead on- and foreshadowed by me if you go back and check.

Grand Ghidorah is the main Ghidorah from that film, and he's a serious case of Good Design, Bad Execution. They simply did not have the budget to do that suit right with ALL the other suits they made for the movie. And Armor Mothra is a travesty that we still have to contend with to this day.

So the main idea behind Grand Ghidorah, and Grand Ghidorah alone, is that he likes to eat kids. Not that he has to, either- this isn't some weird thing where he must feed on children. He just likes to. He could eat anything. But he specifically likes to kidnap children and terrify them as much as he can until he finally eats them. He's straight up a psychopath of a kaiju and it's actually pretty great in that context. He also mind controls one of the Fairies to be evil because that's a power he has I guess?

Grand Ghidorah's powers are to be the most powerful thing ever and do whatever he wants until Armor Mothra shows up to wreck his poo poo

And yeah the outfits the girls get to wear are hideous this time around. But hey they all came together and are sisters again! I guess.

Like I said before- ROM 1 is the best movie of the three, ROM 3 has a lot of elements that are better but isn't as good

And ROM 2 was a mistake in the eyes of God

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm just sad that I've finished all the standalone Mothra movies. Despite the poor quality of RoM2 and 3, I still want more Mothra! Where's the Mothra anime movie, the big budget American Mothra movie?

edit: And how was there never an evil Mothra? Four Mothra movies and she never fights an evil giant wasp or butterfly or anything. Throughout the entire Rebirth trilogy, she only fights dragons! What's the deal?

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

I'm just sad that I've finished all the standalone Mothra movies. Despite the poor quality of RoM2 and 3, I still want more Mothra! Where's the Mothra anime movie, the big budget American Mothra movie?

edit: And how was there never an evil Mothra? Four Mothra movies and she never fights an evil giant wasp or butterfly or anything. Throughout the entire Rebirth trilogy, she only fights dragons! What's the deal?

Pssst

Stumble back into Mothra VS Godzilla Battle for Earth

It's not a good movie but it has good fights

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla vs. Mothra 1992 is one of the most Mothra-y movies, and features her evil ex-husband Battra.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

Pssst

Stumble back into Mothra VS Godzilla Battle for Earth

It's not a good movie but it has good fights

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Godzilla vs. Mothra 1992 is one of the most Mothra-y movies, and features her evil ex-husband Battra.

I might as well start on the Heisei Godzillas next

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

I might as well start on the Heisei Godzillas next

I'd assume so, but never assume

Have you ever seen 1954? That's an important one to start with to go into Return of, and King of the Monsters 56 is good to go into 1985 if you wanted to try that route instead.

It's basically not important for any of the others until Destroyah.

I think I've given a general guide on how best to watch the Heisei series in the past in this thread. But basically it starts really strong and then dips, makes a minor comeback and then flat lines. Destroyah

Tries.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm pretty sure I saw some of the Showa Godzillas as a kid watching MST3K. But the only Godzillas I actually have memories of are all the American ones, Final Wars, Shin, and the anime trilogy.

Basically, I've never really been that into Kaiju stuff until I watched Shin Godzilla and the Gamera trilogy last year. And now I'm ALL IN.

I plan to watch all the Godzillas, but I wanna get them on bluray* too so I'm not planning on watching the Showa Godzillas until the next Barnes and Noble Criterion sale.

*except Biollante, unless it gets reprinted

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main thing is, Godzilla 1954 leads directly into Return of Godzilla, which is the start of the Heisei series. Despite also being a Showa era movie.

Eras are dumb and arbitrary.

Anywho, Return is a direct sequel, with the further leap of King of the Monsters to 1985 even having a returning character, which was a rarity. There's an amazing cut of Return of Godzilla that mixes the best of the American cut and the Japanese cut that I'll have to get for you. It's legit really good, because Raymond Burr, who is the returning actor from King to 1985, gets some genuinely good rear end dialogue in the English cut and is a welcome addition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Watch the Heisei movies. They’re all over the place in quality but they’re also fun as hell and there’s a lot of creative insanity, like a balding cyborg who works for future aliens and runs after Jeeps like the Six Million Dollar Man.

Also the coolest monster in the series is the result of someone genetically splicing the cells of a rose with a guy’s dead daughter. And also Godzilla? I can’t remember, it’s been ages.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch the Heisei movies. They’re all over the place in quality but they’re also fun as hell and there’s a lot of creative insanity, like a balding cyborg who works for future aliens and runs after Jeeps like the Six Million Dollar Man.

Also the coolest monster in the series is the result of someone genetically splicing the cells of a rose with a guy’s dead daughter. And also Godzilla? I can’t remember, it’s been ages.

The dead guy's daughter may not even have been spliced in, it might simply be that her ghost haunted the abomination

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Vs. Biollante and Vs. King Ghidorah are fun concepts, but they look bad-cheap and aren’t very good narratives.

Going against orthodoxy, the best Versus film is Vs. Mothra. Follow it up with Vs. Mechagodzilla and Versus Destoroyah, and you don’t really miss anything. (Versus Destoroyah has the best monster combat).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't even argue with that but the last time I watched VS Mothra I was doing so with friends, and kept getting called away to do real life stuff during all of the human parts.

So I ended up watching the mythical only kaiju version of the movie and it was pretty drat awesome

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Vs Mothra is better than people give it credit for. I used to not really like it, but upon my last rewatch I'd really put it in the better half of the Heisei era.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

If there's a lot of commentary tracks for movies that haven't gotten them before, it might justify the Gamera box set for me. Will wait and see once the full list of extras is revealed.

Edit: up for preorder now with a much more reasonable price point:

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/gamera-the-complete-collection-arrow-us-blu-ray/

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 21, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1231225156506394625?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Somebody was talking about it in the thread and it's free on Amazon so I watched Varan the Unbelievable.

Holy poo poo the main guy talks so much. He never stops talking. Either it's a dialogue scene where he's doing 90% of the talking, or it's a scene where he's doing a voiceover even though the same information could've easily and more naturally been delivered through dialogue. The monster scenes are the only break from the main guy talking.

The monster was good. Giant iguana is a good design, I loved the see through spines, the suit was a bit floppy in places in some shots but overall was good. Solid monster.

It was neat to see a mixed-race relationship in such an old movie. There's a bit of a weird thing going on where every character but the lead is Japanese and treated respectfully(not counting the gender issues of the time), but the movie is also pretty racist about the natives. I bet there's a word for that but I'm not a racist expert

The experiment the protagonist wants to do is insane. He wants to try out a new chemical process to desalinate sea water. OK, great. But instead of doing it on, like, a tank of sea water, he can only test it in a lake. There's lots of talk of depth and temperature so I assume the process will for some reason only work on huge amounts of seawater at once. But also, as an expected side effect, all the fish will die and all the surrounding areas must be evacuated. And not like, the fish will die because they're salt water fish and the water will turn fresh. They specifically say the fish will be poisoned. And there's no talk of that being a temporary state or anything. So you put that all together and as far as I can tell, the main character of this movie has invented a chemical process to turn the ocean into poison.

But mainly I have two questions. Why is the movie called Varan the Unbelievable if the monster is called Obake? And why is the monster called Obake? Doesn't that mean ghost

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Platinum, the company behind bayonetta and metal gear rising, is doing an ultraman-esque kaiju game

https://youtu.be/ZuvcgzN2ZM4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is being touted as the final in Hideki Kamiya's now-named Hero Trilogy after the Kamen Rider pastiche Viewtiful Joe and the Sentai-based Wonderful 101.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Somebody was talking about it in the thread and it's free on Amazon so I watched Varan the Unbelievable.

But mainly I have two questions. Why is the movie called Varan the Unbelievable if the monster is called Obake? And why is the monster called Obake? Doesn't that mean ghost

Let me tell you a tale. A tale of international fuckery.

Once upon a time in 1956 or thereabouts, kaiju movies were getting super popular world wide because Godzilla King of the Monsters was an international success. Gojira had been popular two years prior, of course, but King of the Monsters is what propelled it into international fame.

So an American company came over to Toho and proposed a deal to make a TV original giant monster movie. Tsuburaya would be focusing his A team on the current film project meant for theaters but would lend his B team to work on this. TV black and white cameras would be used instead of the theatrical color ones that they had adopted. The lesser effects would be hidden by being on TV and the lack of color wouldn't be an issue thanks to color TV not being a thing. The papers were signed, the deal was made. And then that American company backed the gently caress out of it and left Toho with a giant turkey that they had to futz with to make it look theatrical at all. After doing what they could it released in 1958 to middling reviews due to it just not being very cinematic, by design.

And then in 1962 another American company drunkenly wandered up, bought the rights to the movie, cut out *ALL* of the Japanese footage that didn't directly concern Varan himself, including shots of Varan flying, filmed all new footage with a white lead and American-Asian actors, and farted it out STILL WITH THE NAME VARAN DESPITE THEM RENAMING VARAN IN THE MOVIE.

Unlike with Godzilla King of the Monsters, which works to compliment Gojira 1954 and is a pretty good movie on its own terms and for its own unique merits, the American version of Varan is THE GREAT WHITE HOPE: THE MOVIE, which did manage to have some progressive stuff despite itself. But also a lot of racism.

So uh, that's the one you watched. I hope that answers some questions.

Fun fact- when you get around to Gojira or King of the Monsters, you'll notice some of the city destruction looks mighty similar. That's because to shore up production costs, this was the first movie to use stock footage of a previous film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah that does explain a lot. Is there any way to watch the original?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Yeah that does explain a lot. Is there any way to watch the original?

There are ways. One of which found its way to your PM to avoid files

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

For what it's worth, the Japanese version of Varan is miles better than the Americanization, but it's still barely even replacement-level. Compared to its immediate predecessors, Godzilla and Rodan, and the immediate follow-up, Mothra, it's a complete dud.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tsuburaya was NOT happy that this was going to be a movie, either. He was fine with the compromises for the effects when it was a TV production, but knew it'd look bad on screen. To his credit, he tried what he could to make it work.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Platinum, the company behind bayonetta and metal gear rising, is doing an ultraman-esque kaiju game

https://youtu.be/ZuvcgzN2ZM4

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wake me up when Platinum is contracted to make another Godzilla fighting game. Godzilla: Save the Earth and Unleashed are really fun beat 'em ups and giving them the Platinum touch would be amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

This is being touted as the final in Hideki Kamiya's now-named Hero Trilogy after the Kamen Rider pastiche Viewtiful Joe and the Sentai-based Wonderful 101.
speaking of, there is currently a Kickstarter for Wonderful 101 on non-WiiU platforms with 8 days to go as of this post and the game is phenomenal, excellent, even stupendous, I highly recommend pledging because it's definitely a game worth playing. It's criminal it did so poorly and was shackled to a dead console for so long, but it's great that it can finally be on a platform that someone actually owns

Chip Cheezum did a fantastic LP of the game in 2014, it's one of my big favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTd5te_LwA&hd=1

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I love how one of the rewards for the hundred dollar tier onward is getting blocked on Twitter by Hideki Kamiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

Tsuburaya was NOT happy that this was going to be a movie, either. He was fine with the compromises for the effects when it was a TV production, but knew it'd look bad on screen. To his credit, he tried what he could to make it work.

A favorite film reviewer of mine had this to say about the "Toho Pan Scope" that the film ended up being "presented" in: "an elliptical way of saying, 'a lot of this looks like poo poo, and we're sorry.'"