Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Joker is a slasher horror film but the slasher is..

Capitalism

Also , I finally got around to watching Doctor Sleep and it was legit one of the better King adaptations. Really loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is this a good time to bring up my buddy who worked in an independent theater found a copy of The Keep in the basement when he was looking for something else (this was at least a decade after its release) and could not for the life of him imagine why they still had it.

So he asked the manager what these giant reels of an ancient bad horror film were doing. The manager pointed to a piece of masking tape on the outside of the cans.

It read, simply, "Keep"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

Is this a good time to bring up my buddy who worked in an independent theater found a copy of The Keep in the basement when he was looking for something else (this was at least a decade after its release) and could not for the life of him imagine why they still had it.

So he asked the manager what these giant reels of an ancient bad horror film were doing. The manager pointed to a piece of masking tape on the outside of the cans.

It read, simply, "Keep"

:lol: that rules, did he steal them?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Apparently theyre still there in the basement, being kept to this very day!! :ghost:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Apparently theyre still there in the basement, being kept to this very day!! :ghost:

Can you go pick it up and drop the reel off at Shout Factory?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Since it popped up in this thread, shameless plug of a poll:

https://twitter.com/SpookyWerewolf/status/1230526917465530368?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Can you go pick it up and drop the reel off at Shout Factory Vinegar Syndrome?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Since it popped up in this thread, shameless plug of a poll:

https://twitter.com/SpookyWerewolf/status/1230526917465530368?s=20

Deer Hunter first, it's amazing but kind of a downer and you'll want something relatively light afterwards (as light as a movie about cannibals can be I guess)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel stupid now for not realizing that would make a difference and it is definitely the reason why. He didn't even like the book it was based on, it was infamous hacked up from how he originally wanted it cut, and it's noticeably almost NEVER brought up or acknowledged even in retrospective sort of stuff. I know music licensing is often cited for why it's not on DVD/blu-ray but he pretty clearly hates the end product, IIRC the author of the novel hated it too. If you Google "Michael Mann The Keep" you'll find a bunch of articles about how much it's intentionally forgotten.

I did a write up of this one for the first October Ironman challenge I did. The book it's based on is great, but the movie suffers from the effects technology of the time and being choppy with what was picked from the book to adapt. I remember when Fangoria covered this one that the author on the surface sounded positive about the movie, but when you read between the lines, yeah, he wasn't thrilled with what they were doing with it.

Back to board games chat, here's a few I had over the years.

Dawn of the Dead: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1773/dawn-dead

It's been so long since I played it all I remember was everyone bickering that they didn't want to pick Flyboy because he sucked. Some years back someone uploaded a scan of the entire game so you can print and play.

Green Ghost: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4460/green-ghost

I lost count how many times we started playing in the dark with just the glow in the dark for lighting and ended up having to turn on a light because we could never get the board to glow long enough.

Nightmare on Elm Street: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1725/nightmare-elm-street-game

No surprise this one exists considering the Freddy-mania at the time. It was an okay game. I remember the art on the cards being nice.

Nightmare on Elm Street-the Freddy Game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6827/nightmare-elm-street-freddy-game

This one was nice since the board was built up as the house. Box for it was huge.

Creature Castle: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3827/creature-castle

God I loved the hell out of this one. I've been looking for years to find another copy since I lost mine in the divorce and can't find any that's not going for several hundred dollars. The board for it was huge and made of paper so that's probably why what copies out there are so pricy.

And because I love Creature Features so much, here's a link with some pictures of it. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1609/creature-features

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I must have had a friend who had Creature Castle, because it looks very familiar, but being from 1975, I know it's not something my family would have owned.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

So I finally watched the original A Nightmare on Elm Street last night. It was fun. The buckets of blood, the reality warping storyline, the excellent incidental soundscape. All great. I didn't like it as much as The People Under the Stairs, though I guess that's more of an indication of Craven improving as a director.

One thing I'm not understanding though is why that film spawned a franchise based on Freddy, when the bodybag girl is the real star of the show. I'd much rather watch the continuing adventures of a spooky corpse girl leaking eels(?) on people.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

Deer Hunter first, it's amazing but kind of a downer and you'll want something relatively light afterwards (as light as a movie about cannibals can be I guess)

Yeah for a movie about cowardice, cannibalism and colonialism Ravenous is weirdly light. Also, since it’s been mentioned in this thread before, the podcast Supercontext recently just did a pretty good episode on Ravenous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

So I finally watched the original A Nightmare on Elm Street last night. It was fun. The buckets of blood, the reality warping storyline, the excellent incidental soundscape. All great. I didn't like it as much as The People Under the Stairs, though I guess that's more of an indication of Craven improving as a director.

One thing I'm not understanding though is why that film spawned a franchise based on Freddy, when the bodybag girl is the real star of the show. I'd much rather watch the continuing adventures of a spooky corpse girl leaking eels(?) on people.

I'm with you that The People Under the Stairs is Craven's best film. Definitely a minority opinion but I don't think anyone would really go to battle with you over it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I'd be tempted to go to bat for The Serpent and the Rainbow, but its been awhile since I saw it. I should give it and The People Under The Stairs a fresh watch.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I broke down and made a letterbox'd account

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/

I'll go through the last few pages to look for posted account names and lists, but figure i'd share it here too. we can be friends on the world wide web.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think what slightly drags Nightmare down for me is the characters. I don't really feel like I know any of the people in Nightmare, they seem to exist as just the barest outlines. There's cop dad, alcoholic mom, leather jacket boyfriend... who are these people when the cameras aren't pointed at them? Robert Englund does a great job with the screen time he has though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think what slightly drags Nightmare down for me is the characters. I don't really feel like I know any of the people in Nightmare, they seem to exist as just the barest outlines. There's cop dad, alcoholic mom, leather jacket boyfriend... who are these people when the cameras aren't pointed at them? Robert Englund does a great job with the screen time he has though.

Part 3 excels at making the main characters and their friendships empathetic and memorable. No other entry in the series ever matches the horrific absurdity of Tina in the body bag like you enjoyed, but 2 has some moments like that, and 3 has some moments like that. It kinda gets lost after Part 3 though, because so much focus is on the dream sequences matching the personalities of the characters through set-design, and sometimes landing it and sometimes failing, due to budgetary restraints.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the adults in Nightmare are supposed to be really distant and flat. Like they're all self medicated conspirators covering up this secret of a terrible thing they did that like they have no idea how to process whether it was right or wrong. They're all actively avoiding dealing with it or their kids.

They're like Peanuts adults if they were all a traumatized neglectful drunk murder cult.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 20, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

3 is just as good if not better than part 1

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

1 is the better horror movie but 3 is the more fun movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

3 is just as good if not better than part 1

Yeah, at this point I'm most likely to throw on Part 3 over any of the others.

I've seen Part 1 more, but Part 3 has some of the best characters, effects, dream sequences and kinda ties up some leftover themes from the original.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1 has bed of blood but 3 has puppet scene which may b on of the most gruesome things put in a horror movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still like Freddy's look in 1 the most.

It's his most disturbing and horrific design. It helps that he's a far more serious character in it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blood bed seems downright quaint these days but the puppet scene still gets me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its a case where Nightmare is Wes' horror classic and Dream Warriors is just kind of the best form of what Freddy became.

Nightmare, Dream Warriors, and New Nightmare is IMO a great "trilogy."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's a great triple feature, and then Part 2 is the midnight show. for funsies.

also going through these lists, i realize i havent seen the last 3 paranormal activities nor did I know they existed in the first place.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 20, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tarnop posted:

:same:

also the recent Jaws board game is a blast

Oh neat, I just picked that up for like $12.

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh poo poo people are talking about horror board games? Well I have good news, THE FURY OF DRACULA has been back in print!

I remember buying that when FF lost the licence? And there were rumours it was going to go OOP because Games Workshop are useless? Still not played it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tendon Puppet scene still makes me to cringe.

Burkion posted:

I still like Freddy's look in 1 the most.

It's his most disturbing and horrific design. It helps that he's a far more serious character in it.

Freddy 1 is pretty good, but I think maybe Freddy 2 has the darkest, scariest design?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

1 has bed of blood but 3 has puppet scene which may b on of the most gruesome things put in a horror movie.

Its not even the most gruesome thing in any Nightmare (Roach Motel from 4 is the gnarliest kill, by a lot)

Franchescanado posted:

Freddy 1 is pretty good, but I think maybe Freddy 2 has the darkest, scariest design?
For all FvJ gets wrong, its Freddy makeup is some of the best

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

I remember buying that when FF lost the licence? And there were rumours it was going to go OOP because Games Workshop are useless? Still not played it.

My Mina came snapped in half, and I've been meaning to put her torso back on her legs, but :effort:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Its not even the most gruesome thing in any Nightmare (Roach Motel from 4 is the gnarliest kill, by a lot)
For all FvJ gets wrong, its Freddy makeup is some of the best

Same with it's Jason design. The character design in FvJ rules.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tarnop posted:

also the recent Jaws board game is a blast

Goddamnit now I have to buy this

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

My Mina came snapped in half, and I've been meaning to put her torso back on her legs, but :effort:

If you got it since it went back into print, they're very very good about replacing pieces.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Is it 4 or 5 that has Freddy force-feeding the girl with the eating disorder? That hosed me up for days afterward and it’s the main reason why I don’t dip into the Freddy movies very often.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually like Freddy's look in FvJ as well despite the homophobic ad-libbed slur in the film it's still incredibly good film for a mash up with some new takes on old kills.

On fire Jason is amazing.

I mean overall FvJ is just a great double entry and shouldn't really be lower than 4 on either listings.

1 , 3 , New Nightmare is a good trilogy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That's 5 which is the strangest and most on the nose allegorical one, which is saying a lot when Freddy's Revenge exists

Believe it ir not, the version youve likely seen is the tamer version. There apparently was an early cut that was absolutely disgusting

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

Is it 4 or 5 that has Freddy force-feeding the girl with the eating disorder? That hosed me up for days afterward and it’s the main reason why I don’t dip into the Freddy movies very often.

This one, and the syringe scene in Part 3, are laced with a sadness that I really like.

My ideal slasher would have that throughout. Tip-toeing the line of Fun Horror Movie + Likeable Characters + Scary Deaths + A Layer of Sadness at the unfair fate of the character = a slasher that would make people feel weird and conflicted. Not so mean as Rob Zombie's Halloween or Funny Games, which kinda rubs your face in how disturbing murder really is. That's too far. Having a likeable character get killed will put a lump in the viewer's throat, you don't need to have them screaming and suffering while their nude body is dragged and slammed across glass for 5 minutes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

you don't need to have them screaming and suffering while their nude body is dragged and slammed across glass for 5 minutes.

what if it's sad that it's happening?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I put on the original Friday the 13th, and I just noped out at the real animal cruelty scene. I don't have too many red lines, but that's one :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Going from Nightmare to Friday is a... shock. For as much as they're compared they're very different franchises aesthetically and in tone.