Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, though I don't think it's anything definitive, it was supposedly noted that his brain was like that of a dementia sufferer (William Regal tells a story of Benoit inviting him over to watch Japanese wrestling tapes, only to angrily insist he did no such thing when Regal showed up the next day).

Its used as a reductive crutch because we like things to make sense for us, which is why it's easier to look at Benoit and say ah CTE, even though in reality it's a variety of factors like living in pain and addiction to medication, steroid abuse and a near pathological pursuit of being the best to the point that he would punish himself if a match didn't meet some arbitrary standard.

I don't know how the CTE could have happened though, according to WWE no one by that name ever wrestled for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, it absolutely doesn't excuse what they did, but I think we need to seriously look into how CTE affected Chris Benoit and Aaron Hernandez and have a discussion about it as a society.

It was an open secret among other wrestlers that Benoit was a paranoid-delusional maniac who hit his wife, but this didn't stop him from being one of the most respected workers backstage (because, as you might guess of a CTE sufferer, he worked a stiff style every night even if he was the opening act). Nothing was done, and within about a year of his death the three biggest main eventers were doing his finisher as a mid-match tribute spot. Later Daniel Bryan started doing his flying headbutt, and coincidentally is still working after being told he has too many concussions to still be working.

The uneducated think wrestling is stupid. Fans know that's not true; it's really stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Bad as the press are, I'd put the blame for that closer to the throne personally.

As to Benoit, I think the attitude among wrestling fans at least is that it was almost certainly CTE and he was probably a victim as much as his family. Without making excuses.

Ehh, the press literally hounded her husbands mother to death.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of want Meghan and Harry to take a few years, completely reinvent themselves in Canada and come back on vacation one year with Meghan managing an Ikea branch and Harry doing tech support for an insurance company. And they are just generally doing really well emotionally.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Metoo developed in response to the total failure of the US justice system in actually addressing harassment and assault. It purposefully exists outside of the court system because the courts cannot and will not deliver any sort of justice or change, and ultimately claiming "witch hunt!" or "trail of public opinion!" in the context of holding people socially responsible for their actions is not valid. The correct response here is to take this new information regarding Depp/Heard and instead hold Heard accountable.

Posters condemn this as "rushing to judgement" or "blanket condemnation" but no matter how much you don't like it, the alternative is allowing abusers to treat the abused like poo poo. That still largely is the status quo, and was even worse before.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm starting to get a little surprised some kind of gung ho bounty hunter from the US hasn't just arrested Roman Polanski and flown him back. Maybe like Duane "Dog" Chapman.

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, it absolutely doesn't excuse what they did, but I think we need to seriously look into how CTE affected Chris Benoit and Aaron Hernandez and have a discussion about it as a society.

In a sane world the NFL would be shut down. But considering the trillions of dollars in future lost revenue it'll never happen until the fall of this iteration of modern empires takes place.

Phi230 posted:

Metoo developed in response to the total failure of the US justice system in actually addressing harassment and assault. It purposefully exists outside of the court system because the courts cannot and will not deliver any sort of justice or change...

It's really astounding. Right now I could post another ~30 articles with new content concerning a bunch of nasty stuff not even mentioned ITT yet concerning Epstein/Weinstein and their associates. The deeper you dig the worse it gets.

Harvey Weinstein is finished. Another Oscars goes by with nary a mention of his name.

I still have hopes that Armond White and Jack Black cohost the Oscars and Jack Black runs around with a cheddar goblin puppet (with unlimited cheddar) to use on the winners if they take too long during the acceptance speeches.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zogo posted:

I'm starting to get a little surprised some kind of gung ho bounty hunter from the US hasn't just arrested Roman Polanski and flown him back. Maybe like Duane "Dog" Chapman.

I have to imagine it's pretty hard for a foreigner with no French government contacts to kidnap a French national and get them on an international flight. Especially one who is significantly richer and is probably on some French government list of people they should keep track of.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I have to imagine it's pretty hard for a foreigner with no French government contacts to kidnap a French national and get them on an international flight. Especially one who is significantly richer and is probably on some French government list of people they should keep track of.

Yeah, it wouldn't be an easy straightforward process. I was thinking back to when the Dog guy located Andrew Luster (a Max Factor heir) who was hiding in Mexico. He had been drugging and raping women: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/jun/20/usa.mexico

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Phi230 posted:

Metoo developed in response to the total failure of the US justice system in actually addressing harassment and assault. It purposefully exists outside of the court system because the courts cannot and will not deliver any sort of justice or change, and ultimately claiming "witch hunt!" or "trail of public opinion!" in the context of holding people socially responsible for their actions is not valid. The correct response here is to take this new information regarding Depp/Heard and instead hold Heard accountable.

Posters condemn this as "rushing to judgement" or "blanket condemnation" but no matter how much you don't like it, the alternative is allowing abusers to treat the abused like poo poo. That still largely is the status quo, and was even worse before.

not incorrect, but it's worth noting that #metoo was an international movement for women of every social class that hollywood latched onto an made about making it safe for women at the top of the social ladder in america

it's as american as rock and roll is white: it sure as hell is now, and that doesn't make it a bad thing in itself, but maybe it shouldn't have been taken over by rich white people

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 20, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I would say if you really want him, get the Russians or Mossad involved.*

*Not responsible for damage during shipping & handling

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anybody with the resources to be an international pedophile hunter is more likely to be an international pedophile.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would say if you really want him, get the Russians or Mossad involved.*

*Not responsible for damage during shipping & handling

Mossad ain't gonna help you illegally extradite a holocaust survivor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Mossad ain't gonna help you illegally extradite a holocaust survivor.

What if he was not in favor of apartheid tho

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, though I don't think it's anything definitive, it was supposedly noted that his brain was like that of a dementia sufferer (William Regal tells a story of Benoit inviting him over to watch Japanese wrestling tapes, only to angrily insist he did no such thing when Regal showed up the next day).

Its used as a reductive crutch because we like things to make sense for us, which is why it's easier to look at Benoit and say ah CTE, even though in reality it's a variety of factors like living in pain and addiction to medication, steroid abuse and a near pathological pursuit of being the best to the point that he would punish himself if a match didn't meet some arbitrary standard.

Someone told a story over in Rowdy Ringsports of a time Benoit missed some mark and nearly kicked someone in the face, and did 300 squat thrusts as penance. He was known as an insane worker, even as a young man. That's kind of the thing when people are that...extreme. It's harder to recognise abnormal behaviour when they're already such a strange person. Trump leaps to mind, too. He's been such a manic bullshit artist for so long, what would dementia even look like for him? Him and the truth already had a pretty shaky relationship.

And more to the point: as indicated in this thread, he was not a healthy person. He had serious issues, but he had issues that made him incredibly valuable. It's like how we love Mike Tyson for being a finely tuned killing machine, then all tut when he bites someone's ear, just like a finely tuned killing machine would.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like the reason no successful bounty hunter has kidnapped someone like Polanski has to do with the fact that most bounty hunters are gigantic pieces of poo poo and there is not, as far as I know, an actual bounty for Polanski's arrest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/keybarrettmsc/status/1229430638001950721?s=21

https://twitter.com/latimesent/status/1229822205518737408?s=21

https://twitter.com/cbsla/status/1230309958400512000?s=21

Not sure how appropriate this is but half the town seems to know her

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
And of course Wendy Williams has to make a “come on down” joke

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coffee And Pie posted:

And of course Wendy Williams has to make a “come on down” joke

Would anyone cry if she was murdered? I think not.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of want Meghan and Harry to take a few years, completely reinvent themselves in Canada and come back on vacation one year with Meghan managing an Ikea branch and Harry doing tech support for an insurance company. And they are just generally doing really well emotionally.

It would be better if they came back as raging, radical republicans, imho. But then again, I think that about everyone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Snowman_McK posted:

And more to the point: as indicated in this thread, he was not a healthy person. He had serious issues, but he had issues that made him incredibly valuable. It's like how we love Mike Tyson for being a finely tuned killing machine, then all tut when he bites someone's ear, just like a finely tuned killing machine would.

I've always found it extremely weird how Tyson being a violent rapist just kind of went away in the American psyche.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've always found it extremely weird how Tyson being a violent rapist just kind of went away in the American psyche.

he was funny and self-deprecating in the hangover so he's good now

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A reality tv show host who got caught bragging about sexual assault was elected president.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Look how mad people got when anyone mentioned Kobe was a rapist.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I think Tyson's a little different than a lot of these because he's been quite open about it and how wrong he was for it. He's also one of the few people that's actually gone to prison, done their time and come out wanting to be a different person.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it helps that it happened outside of the cancelsphere. I mean yeah he was all over the late night circuit but it's not like this generation watches that anyway

hell OJ is practically a meme again

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tyson has a very marketable life story in terms of how the "Only in America" and "Rags to riches to rags to renaissance" aspects of it write themselves. I will say Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth is an interesting stage show. I fully expect an up and coming actor to try for an Oscar playing Tyson one day soon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RevKrule posted:

I think Tyson's a little different than a lot of these because he's been quite open about it and how wrong he was for it. He's also one of the few people that's actually gone to prison, done their time and come out wanting to be a different person.

Yeah, I mean unlike 99% of these guys he actually suffered consequences and has taken steps to actually rehabilitate himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't he lose like, every dollar and piece of property he had as well? He definitely got punished.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

It would be better if they came back as raging, radical republicans, imho. But then again, I think that about everyone.

That took my a second because I keep forgetting "Republican" means something completely different when talking about Brits or the Irish.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Didn't he lose like, every dollar and piece of property he had as well? He definitely got punished.

Don King robbed him blind, for starters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Don King robbed him blind, for starters.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that poo poo.

I think Mike is probably the only guy ever mentioned in this thread that actually did the time and put in the effort to make amends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He also suffered a tragedy with his daughter dying.

But yeah, I think Tyson's just a bit of a unique case because he saw justice, suffered consequences, and is sympathetic in a lot of ways. Its a question of whether you believe in rehabilitation and that someone can change and become better.

Granted, he bit a dude's ear off AFTER prison. But he's a complicated dude. He's also diagnosed bipolar and probably suffered brain damage in his career.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 20, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Evander did forgive him for that as well. Hell they shot a commercial joking about it fairly recently.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The list of guys that suffered consequences for stuff like this is incredibly short, there's like, Mike Tyson, Michael Vick and not many more. Richard Spector, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vick showed zero remorse.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhyno posted:

Vick showed zero remorse.

the numerous animal charities he's worked with even after his court-ordered rehabilitation might argue with you a little bit

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Michael Vick: animal lover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Vick has showed remorse but of course it's that rich guy trying to not completely tank his image kind of remorse. So it's always like "I'm sorry that I took so long to overcome my upbringing and realize that what I did was wrong", where he's deflecting blame. And he never has really owned up to the specific acts, like he never sat for an interview where he allowed a reporter to ask him why he thought it was ok to drown and torture dogs. At first it was the usual excuse that the legal case prevented him from taking about details, and then after that he immediately jumped to "that's in the past and I don't want to go through the details, but I'm sorry for what I did".

Still, it's a lot better than many others have done in similar situations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah gently caress Michael Vick, in every interview about it he blames other people and is incredibly smug. OOOOOH HE DONATED MONEY well no poo poo he donated money the fuxking courts ordered him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's irksome when somebody gets caught and goes "Oh, whoops!" but their press agent says they're better now - look! he's doing charity work! why would a celeb do that if they weren't sincere? - and then their gullible public paints it as a Road to Damascus thing.

People who torture animals don't usually just stop because they realized it was wrong. More likely he just understands that if he gets caught doing that again, he'll do time.