Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Advertising that you're not using preservatives with pictures of the reason people use preservatives in the first place is an odd choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Oh poo poo, I initially hadn't bothered to read the article and just assumed this was Burger King taking on the "No Artifical Preservatives" poo poo and saying "yeah, we use preservatives so this doesn't happen". But no, they're just advertising the removal by showing a whopper getting moldy. Great marketing guys.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Garrand posted:

Oh poo poo, I initially hadn't bothered to read the article and just assumed this was Burger King taking on the "No Artifical Preservatives" poo poo and saying "yeah, we use preservatives so this doesn't happen". But no, they're just advertising the removal by showing a whopper getting moldy. Great marketing guys.

Do they show only the mouldy Whopper?

Coz that ad would be more effective if they showed a Whopper moulding alongside a Big Mac, (or different chains burger), staying the same, then getting some dude in a white coat to say "This one is still edible after a month because CHEMICALS!!!, but the Whopper was made with natural ingredients, so did what nature does and got mould. Buy our NATURAL burger, not their one which has icky chemicals in it."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The only dumber marketing move than showcasing a moldy burger is showcasing it next to your competitor's edible one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I know I'll go to considerable lengths to avoid calling something a 'preservative' on the ingredients list even when its primary purpose in the food is to preserve it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not cool of Burger King to take pictures of the back of my fridge without asking.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Do they show only the mouldy Whopper?

Coz that ad would be more effective if they showed a Whopper moulding alongside a Big Mac, (or different chains burger), staying the same, then getting some dude in a white coat to say "This one is still edible after a month because CHEMICALS!!!, but the Whopper was made with natural ingredients, so did what nature does and got mould. Buy our NATURAL burger, not their one which has icky chemicals in it."
Various fast-food menu items have become as infamous as Twinkies in terms of their resistance to mold and rot. Think "McDonald's burger found in ancient couch cushions" and the like.

eta: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/11/australia-sees-icelands-10-year-old-cheeseburger-raises-it-a-25-year-old-quarter-pounder/

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Feb 20, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, the marketing approach is simple to pinpoint as a call out based on the people who boggle at fast food not rotting like an old vegetable after a couple days. It's positively straightforward and incredibly lacking in the reptile brain bullshit that would tell you "please don't make customers brains light up mold and tasty burger at the same time I'm begging you"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
a lot of fungiphobes itt

kinda freaking me out

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
people are stupid.

Also a recent post from the OSHA thread showed that some of those "negative ion" wellness products are actually trying to produce actual ions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Plant MONSTER. posted:

a lot of fungiphobes itt

kinda freaking me out

Confusing av text/post combo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Confusing av text/post combo

*slaps*
FUNGI ARE NOT PLANTS

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
*slaps again*
AND ARE RARELY MONSTERS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It could just be as simple as somebody in the Burger King organization getting legitimately pissed off that their burgers will get moldy and gross fast without the traditional preservatives and somebody else going "You know what, we could use that as a marketing thing"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"You know what, we could use that as a marketing thing"

Still more appetizing than Tim Hortons where the same company is pleading "we're Canadian, honest!" in their new ad blitz

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

They remembered the ad campaign for Earthbound and thought hell yeah let's do that

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Adblock the image if it bothers you that much.

Adblock isn't a thing in the mobile app.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/_hrtechnologist/status/1230106237481537536?s=21

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Also a recent post from the OSHA thread showed that some of those "negative ion" wellness products are actually trying to produce actual ions.
I can smell something coming out of my ionizing hair dryer and brush when I turn them on, and my hair looks and behaves perceptibly better with those tools than with others. It smells a little like ozone, though.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Wasn't there a video floating around for a while about a McDonald's hamburger being left out for like a month and it doesn't mold or anything it just kind of shrivels up because of the hydration?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Agrinja posted:

Wasn't there a video floating around for a while about a McDonald's hamburger being left out for like a month and it doesn't mold or anything it just kind of shrivels up because of the hydration?

I think there was also one which was forgotten in wrappers under the car seat for a better part of a decade and it just sort of shrank down but still looked more or less edible.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Those burgers are still edible for the same reason why honey doesn't ever go bad.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
McDonald's burgers are made by bees? That doesn't seem right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Many people don't know this, but to this day every patty is made from meat product regurgitated by Ronald Mcdonald himself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
McD’s burgers don’t go bad because it’s well cooked, heavily salted meat wrapped in plastic or a fairly tight cardboard box. We’ve been preserving meat with salt and low air flow for millennia.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

The Lone Badger posted:

I know I'll go to considerable lengths to avoid calling something a 'preservative' on the ingredients list even when its primary purpose in the food is to preserve it.

I have a friend that goes out of her way to buy food with ingrediants she can pronouce. Like calling something "extract of rear end in a top hat" instead of assholiousphemoxide changes the makeup of the food.

It's like when you see non-GMO salt or when high glutamate food like tomato soup boasts that it doesn't contain MSG. They're such buzzwords that no one even cares what they mean anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hirayuki posted:

Various fast-food menu items have become as infamous as Twinkies in terms of their resistance to mold and rot. Think "McDonald's burger found in ancient couch cushions" and the like.

eta: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/11/australia-sees-icelands-10-year-old-cheeseburger-raises-it-a-25-year-old-quarter-pounder/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnOZiCXudk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

I have a friend that goes out of her way to buy food with ingrediants she can pronouce. Like calling something "extract of rear end in a top hat" instead of assholiousphemoxide changes the makeup of the food.

It's like when you see non-GMO salt or when high glutamate food like tomato soup boasts that it doesn't contain MSG. They're such buzzwords that no one even cares what they mean anymore.

Yeah. People are watching what they eat more than ever (good) but they're partly making those dietary choices based on complete nonsense or meaningless buzzwords/trends (bad)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I am very good at pronouncing words, so I can eat everything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah. People are watching what they eat more than ever (good) but they're partly making those dietary choices based on complete nonsense or meaningless buzzwords/trends (bad)

The other thing is that a lot of it is "the dose makes the poison" making something unhealthy. Eating too much salt is obviously bad for you but if you never consume salt or sodium at all that's...also very bad. Like yeah we eat way too much salt in America but people going "I will never eat any sodium ever for any reason" are taking it way too far.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Serious Eats did a good set of experiments about why some hamburgers don't rot. It has nothing to do with preservatives or salt content. It's all about moisture: McDonald's thin hamburgers dry out before mold starts growing. Once they're dessicated, it doesn't matter how long they sit out, they won't mold. But if you put them in a plastic bag to prevent moisture loss, they'll mold just fine.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/the-food-lab-why-mcdonalds-burgers-never-rot.html

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

We call that 'clean label' when sourcing ingredients.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone explain the battery one to non-Philly people. (Or is it just the obvious stupidity of batteries raining with confetti?)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone explain the battery one to non-Philly people. (Or is it just the obvious stupidity of batteries raining with confetti?)

Philly sports fans have been said to throw D-cell batteries at players on the field who they dislike. Probably most notably JD Drew, who demanded an exorbitant rookie salary from the Phillies after they drafted him and subsequently did not go on to play for the Phillies.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What post are you referring to?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

What post are you referring to?

Oh dang. I saw this in the Things Boomers Like thread, swiped away, and thought it got posted here.

shame on an IGA posted:

For real this was so perfect it should've killed both super bowl marketing and brand twitter forever.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Duracell/status/960352900546547712

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

Philly sports fans have been said to throw D-cell batteries at players on the field who they dislike. Probably most notably JD Drew, who demanded an exorbitant rookie salary from the Phillies after they drafted him and subsequently did not go on to play for the Phillies.

Wow, so It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is actually accurate in its representation of how everyone in that town is a piece of poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Memento posted:

Wow, so It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is actually accurate in its representation of how everyone in that town is a piece of poo poo.

Philly sports fans are *notorious* for being huge loving assholes. Not only to visiting teams, but their own as well.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
They boo Santa Claus
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/philadelphia-fans-boo-santa-claus/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gritty was specifically made with that in mind, and kind of backfired.