Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zachack posted:

Apparently this just got stealth released onto Game Pass, too.

I'm pretty sure it's just the demo since it says "Game Preview"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hah, not Ace Combat. This is a series that thrives on insane cinematic bullshit like flying through tunnels, giant laser towers and jousting but with JETS while spanish guitar plays.
https://i.imgur.com/1yos4aL.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/EBbq1XO.gifv
:hai:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a DLC to fight giant insects?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the demo since it says "Game Preview"

I think game preview is how game pass marks out early access games?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Prokhor posted:

I think game preview is how game pass marks out early access games?

Correct

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

There isn't but the three DLC missions are cool as gently caress.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, I'm loving sold on AC7.

What are the odds that they're remastering the originals in a big collection and bringing them to PC? :pray:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deakul posted:

Well, I'm loving sold on AC7.

What are the odds that they're remastering the originals in a big collection and bringing them to PC? :pray:

They’re apparently a bit of a rights nightmare. I think it’s the plane licenses? They were able to give away remastered copies of AC games on console as a preorder bonus, but I think they can’t actually sell them for money.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Definitely my favorite video game song featuring castanets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

The Ace Combat series in general has incredible soundtracks.

SelenicMartian posted:

I've never thought of a Earth Defense Force/Ace Combat crossover before but now I really want one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ErrEff posted:

I've never thought of a Earth Defense Force/Ace Combat crossover before but now I really want one.

It's unofficial, but there effectively is one: Space War Attack

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They’re apparently a bit of a rights nightmare. I think it’s the plane licenses? They were able to give away remastered copies of AC games on console as a preorder bonus, but I think they can’t actually sell them for money.
The hearsay is that the plane rights thing stop the older games from getting a re-release where they receive money for it, but they can give away copies for "free" which is why if you pre-ordered on the PS4 you got a AC5 port and on the XBone you got AC6. Dunno how true it is but I know gun licenses in games are super weird about stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if plane licenses were the same.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Showing airfoil fog in high G situations is a really cool touch.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Insert name here posted:

The hearsay is that the plane rights thing stop the older games from getting a re-release where they receive money for it, but they can give away copies for "free" which is why if you pre-ordered on the PS4 you got a AC5 port and on the XBone you got AC6. Dunno how true it is but I know gun licenses in games are super weird about stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if plane licenses were the same.
if not even more so, considering fighter jets are essentially a billion dollar military industrial complex circlejerk of development companies inflating each other's budgets

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s really a shame too because while the PS2 Ace Combat games are simpler in a lot of ways there’s some real good stuff in each game. See the aforementioned plane jousting.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Yeah it's the plane licenses. It's also the reason Afterburner Climax was taken off the digital stores.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

phew i was worried the burning after i climax was a medical issue

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

It's cool you're spoiling a pivotal moment of the game just like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blattdorf posted:

It's cool you're spoiling a pivotal moment of the game just like that.

It doesn't really mean anything out of context

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

It doesn't really mean anything out of context

It means that you fight what it obviously telegraphed as a boss from the first half hour of the game at some point. That’s really about it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why does a game like that need real planes in it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Because real planes are fun, and it’s fun to fly your favorite plane with a gross of missiles and a rail gun strapped to it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

baka kaba posted:

makes grognards cum

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cowcaster posted:

makes grognards cum

Why would grognards play a game like that?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Hello, I would be liking opinions on very much my jam Junji Ito World of Horror game from those who have played please and thank you.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Clearly the solution is to only feature glorious communist equipment in your game and break the chains of licenses.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Because real planes are fun, and it’s fun to fly your favorite plane with a gross of missiles and a rail gun strapped to it.

But I mean, does the majority of the audience care or even know what an F-16 or whatever looks like? Like surely they could get away with something spookily similar called an X-69 SKYSNAKE developed with advanced metal gear tech the boffins upstairs have been keeping under wraps and people would just be all "hell yeah" and they wouldn't have to deal with licencing or the military industrial complex complaining about how backflipping planes misrepresent their product like it's Gran Turismo or whatever

I haven't played an AC so maybe the whole thing is real world but gone real OTT? I get that, but if they can't even publish old games because of this kind of stuff it seems like if any series could just wing it :grin: with their own designs it would be this one

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kennel posted:

Why would grognards play a game like that?

gots real world jets

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dramicus posted:

Clearly the solution is to only feature glorious communist equipment in your game and break the chains of licenses.

don’t worry all your migs and sukhois and eurofighters, all your favorites, they’re in there

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

baka kaba posted:

Some people really like the Mirage 2000

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

baka kaba posted:

But I mean, does the majority of the audience care or even know what an F-16 or whatever looks like? Like surely they could get away with something spookily similar called an X-69 SKYSNAKE developed with advanced metal gear tech the boffins upstairs have been keeping under wraps and people would just be all "hell yeah" and they wouldn't have to deal with licencing or the military industrial complex complaining about how backflipping planes misrepresent their product like it's Gran Turismo or whatever

I haven't played an AC so maybe the whole thing is real world but gone real OTT? I get that, but if they can't even publish old games because of this kind of stuff it seems like if any series could just wing it :grin: with their own designs it would be this one

The intended audience absolutely cares and knows what an F-16 looks like.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

baka kaba posted:

It's kinda important for the feel they're going for. Ace Combat games love to play everything super straight, with real-world jets, realistic HUDs and radio chatter, new nations with old grudges and familiar geo-politics, all so when one country drops a space station the size of San Diego on another and you have to fly inside it and blow it up over the ocean it feels more like a climactic movie moment than some dumb fanfic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the one time i poked my head into this forum's proper ace combat thread there was a guy in there extolling the virtues of the f-35 supergrover which is definitely NOT a trillion dollar piece of worthless poo poo that can't fly in the rain and DEFINITELY does not reboot all its computer systems when crossing the international date line and CERTAINLY isn't glued together with epoxy that disintegrates under normal operating strain and temperatures and ABSOLUTELY does not suffocate pilots when it feels like it, and all of the above is just what MISINFORMED LIBERAL NAYSAYERS opposed to MILITARY SUPERIORITY claim are problems, is all you need to know

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They did do an ace combat with fake jets set in the future and it was pretty cool so I wouldn't mind if they did another.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s worked for months and all of a sudden Steam is resetting my desktop controller configuration to be completely blank and says:

DISABLED
Modified by you, based on ScottD’s configuration

I use my Xbox controller as my mouse to select games and programs and it completely wipes the profile now as soon as I’m done changing the default again. No clue who ScottD is or how to change it back and make it stick.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

It means that you fight what it obviously telegraphed as a boss from the first half hour of the game at some point. That’s really about it.

How you fight it is a spoiler, though. It's kind of a big deal within the game. But if it convinces people to give the game a try, all the better - the whole mission is something else. Grab the DLC while you're at it because the extra missions are also peak Ace Combat which gives me great hope for AC8.

I gave Taur a try and while the idea for the tower defense is cool and the core mechanics are interesting, there's really not much else to it to justify the high price point. You will just very slowly build up your tower until the boss appears however many missions in and maybe you'll win, maybe not.

Imagine playing X-Morph and every mission is one wave long and you have to organize your defense in the middle of fighting. If you miscalculate or the enemies are surprisingly too strong, then you lose all the invested resources, so it'll be rather easy to get into a death spiral.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

I dont think AC7 or whatever is going to get pulled because of rights situations- the games they cant sell are the PS2 era ones, where the idea of selling your game with licensed stuff down the road wasn't something to consider. Think about all the shows that dont have the original soundtracks on Netflix/Hulu because streaming rights weren't part of the contract back when the content was first licensed... because streaming didn't exist back then. I don't know what the licensing agreements are now vs then but there's definitely a lot of stuff from back then that can't be sold now. It's much easier to change the soundtrack on a remaster than go through and change all the planes.

Blattdorf posted:

I gave Taur a try and while the idea for the tower defense is cool and the core mechanics are interesting, there's really not much else to it to justify the high price point. You will just very slowly build up your tower until the boss appears however many missions in and maybe you'll win, maybe not.

Imagine playing X-Morph and every mission is one wave long and you have to organize your defense in the middle of fighting. If you miscalculate or the enemies are surprisingly too strong, then you lose all the invested resources, so it'll be rather easy to get into a death spiral.

I just played half an hour of this and was going to post basically exactly this. It's almost my cup of tea- I love setting up my towers, but building a maze for creeps bores me and usually turns me off of later TD stuff. The actual levels are lacking. I had some air units as a defender and in one mission they all died before the enemies showed up when they crashed into poo poo nonstop. I'm gonna refund it and if they patch it and put it on sale for ten bux or less, I may rebuy it, but it's a bit rear end at the moment.

You do get 100 percent resources back for destroyed towers, though, per the tooltip. Never seen it in action, as even picking the hard missions none of my towers died, just some of the units they controlled.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah that soundtrack thing is garbage and it's especially bad for stuff you already own

Too Shy Guy posted:

It's kinda important for the feel they're going for. Ace Combat games love to play everything super straight, with real-world jets, realistic HUDs and radio chatter, new nations with old grudges and familiar geo-politics, all so when one country drops a space station the size of San Diego on another and you have to fly inside it and blow it up over the ocean it feels more like a climactic movie moment than some dumb fanfic.

all right yeah, that makes sense

Cowcaster posted:

i think the one time i poked my head into this forum's proper ace combat thread there was a guy in there extolling the virtues of the f-35 supergrover which is definitely NOT a trillion dollar piece of worthless poo poo that can't fly in the rain and DEFINITELY does not reboot all its computer systems when crossing the international date line and CERTAINLY isn't glued together with epoxy that disintegrates under normal operating strain and temperatures and ABSOLUTELY does not suffocate pilots when it feels like it, and all of the above is just what MISINFORMED LIBERAL NAYSAYERS opposed to MILITARY SUPERIORITY claim are problems, is all you need to know

oh yeah there's always gonna be some people like that, I just saw it as more of a neowwwww bang bang arcade thing people played for fun. Like nobody cared that Ridge Racer was nothing like actual driving, you got to go sideways around a track and that's rad

tbh I can see F-35 stans being extremely drawn to an anime plane game where all your wildest, dumbest fantasies are real and work extremely well actually

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Team Ladybug, the folks who made that metroidvania Touhou: Luna Nights, are working on a Castlevania: SotN clone based on, of all things, 90s anime Record of Lodoss War.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/tea...am-early-access

It's going up for early access on Steam on March 12th for ~$12 US, and is blatantly a ripoff but looks pretty sweet. I never played Luna Nights but the speedrun I saw at GDQ looked pretty clean and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmKbXx6gtU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Thank you for pointing out World of Horror. That looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hmmm, they referred to Metroidvania as "Search Action" games.... hmmm...