Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

cool dance moves posted:

Hello fountain pen goons! After reading the first page, I have a question that I'm not entirely sure is relevant. If it's not, please point me in the right direction and I'll go over there :)

I want to get a reusable pen (not necessarily fountain, although I do like the calligraphic look) that I can refill with my own ink bottle once it runs out. I also dont have much cash on hand (I'm gonna top out at $30, for the sake of putting a number out there). I have poo poo posture sometimes when I write, so I'm nervous about using something delicate as a fountain pen. I also tend to lose things easily. I just want something refillable, sturdy, and cheap. What do you guys think? What options do I have, if any?

Pilot Metropolitan. Stub nib variety if you want the writing to look more fancy.

You could also get a Platinum Preppy and convert it to an eyedropper. They're the finest writers ever and only cost a couple bucks. To convert it to an eyedropper you basically just unscrew the pen, slide an O ring over the threads and then put a little silicone grease over the threaded portion, fill the entire barrel with ink and screw it back on, and you've got a cheap quality writer for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't care for my metro, I'd get a platinum preppy medium or fine nib. It is much less expensive (not that either are very expensive) You can fill the whole pen up like Heath says, but it's cleaner to just refill the cartridge over and over. Noodler's ink is going to be the best deal per ounce of ink, probably. Something really generic and common like Quink black might be a little more economical.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
If you dont want it to look fancy, a preppy is a hell of a deal. Your $30 will buy you a couple of them so you can have a couple colors available at once and some cartridges or ink samples to refill them with.

Btw, I stared with a metro and some black ink thinking "I dont need any other colors" and within 6 months had like 30 samples and 5 bottles of ink in every color but black.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

stealie72 posted:

Btw, I stared with a metro and some black ink thinking "I dont need any other colors" and within 6 months had like 30 samples and 5 bottles of ink in every color but black.

Just c/p this into every post in this thread

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Throwing my hat in with another recommendation for a Preppy. Loved sketching with the extra fine as it laid the thinnest line from any fountain pen I've used. If you want something a little nicer, you can spend about $10 more and get a Platinum Plaisir. It's the same pen as the Preppy but with an aluminum body and cap instead of plastic.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 17, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Heath posted:

For real.

Just walking around with a Moonman C2 EF filled with Diamine Poppy Red like "it's just a pen, what are you staring at?"

And I'm only at about a dozen pens and inks.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm been increasingly interested in flex stuff in the past year and it's consistently a bummer that vintage flex with good ink flow is apparently some loving lostech that no one can replicate.

I keep thinking of using my tax return to buy another vintage pen but ebay is such a crapshoot and going to a pen show isn't really in the cards. Does anyone have a favorite site for this stuff?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 17, 2020

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I'm been increasingly interested in flex stuff in the past year and it's consistently a bummer that vintage flex with good ink flow is apparently some loving lostech that no one can replicate.

I keep thinking of using my tax return to buy another vintage pen but ebay is such a crapshoot and going to a pen show isn't really in the cards. also im worried that my dumb heavy hands will ruin it. maybe I could look into finding a new nib for my "reliable" branded vintage, or even to get it tuned.

There are quite a few online pen dealers who can give you a reasonable deal (depending on what your idea of reasonable is). Where are you located and what's your budget?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Ok, so the consensus seems to be that I should score either a Pilot Metro or a Platinum Preppy. The thread OP lists a few places to buy pens--im guessing they're still good?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dad Hominem posted:

There are quite a few online pen dealers who can give you a reasonable deal (depending on what your idea of reasonable is). Where are you located and what's your budget?

If i end up doing this im probably looking at around $250, give or take. I live in the US, specifically southeastern PA.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

If i end up doing this im probably looking at around $250, give or take. I live in the US, specifically southeastern PA.

I'm not affiliated with any of these sellers, but Peyton Street Pens and vintagepens.com both have sections specifically for flex nib pens, with some choices in your price range. There should also be flex on gopens.com, Five Star Pens or Main Street Pens, but you may have to dig around yourself or shoot them an email.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Peyton Street Pens is a dangerous, dangerous website.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

My Moonman M600 has a really strong chemical smell coming from it. What's the best way to neutralize it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Chip McFuck posted:

My Moonman M600 has a really strong chemical smell coming from it. What's the best way to neutralize it?

Time and air.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Dang, that's too bad. It's been sitting on my desk begging me to use it but the smell is really overpowering. I'll just have to be patient and let it air out.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Got a Lamy Safari after using a Pilot Metro for a little over a year now as my go-to pen. The EF nib seems to lay down a LOT of ink. More than the "fine" nib on the Metro. Is this an ink issue? Can folks recommend a brand of ink that works well in an EF nib?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lamy's fine nibs are a little less fine than Pilot's - as a rule, "Western" nibs tend to write a little fatter than Japanese ones do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, do I get a blue preppy, eyeydropper convert it, and run baystate blue in it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm gonna be real, I would not put Baystate Blue in a plastic pen that could break open in a bag or something, especially in that quantity. It's the most prone-to-staining ink ever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fair point. It's such a blue though!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Instead of eyedropper filling, put the ink in cartridges with a syringe. Unless you really really need the ink capacity. When I started, I thought eyedropper would be awesome, but it isn't all roses. Something about the hacky nature of it is appealing though, like I'm getting the maximum pen experience :shobon:
  • You want to have a well-filled ink reservoir for best writing, there is a lot more volume to fill with the eyedroppper
  • Leak issues (though I never had any trouble -- with pens I left at my desk. I would not put one in my pocket, Preppies are good pens with quality plastic, but it's still a < $5 pen and the walls of the chamber will develop small cracks eventually)
  • More ink in the pen means you can't change ink colors without wasting a lot more ink
  • Or you wait a long time between changes
  • With most inks, the plastic won't stain, but the color will end up in every crevice and scratch, especially around the threads and it sucks to clean
  • A cartridge lasts a pretty long time, something like 2x a converter, so it's probably plenty. Especially if you have a couple pens so the use gets spread out.

I eyedropper filled a medium nib preppy with red ink, and I actually used it all up eventually. This was a success and it works well with the huge wet medium lines.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 21, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Got a super good deal so guess who has another Sailor on the way!

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 21, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New Delta day today! :toot:

Delta Fusion 82, limited edition (2 of 8) Chatterley Luxuries Saffron Yellow with a stub Fusion nib

So yes, it's giant, bright and gaudy as gently caress, but is it giant, bright and gaudy as gently caress enough?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

New Delta day today! :toot:

Delta Fusion 82, limited edition (2 of 8) Chatterley Luxuries Saffron Yellow with a stub Fusion nib

So yes, it's giant, bright and gaudy as gently caress, but is it giant, bright and gaudy as gently caress enough?

Depends.

What ink?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I should be fine to fly with a Wing Sung 601, right? I don't really want to bring a bottle of ink with me, so if I fill before I leave (and fly with it in a plastic bag) will it still be fine in the air?

Also, any recommendations for big pens with either hooded or inlaid nibs? I have a Sheaffer Triumph Imperial that I like, but it feels like a toothpick in my enormous mitts, especially if it's unposted.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

So long as there isn't any air in the pen's ink chamber you'll be fine. Air expands as pressure decreases, so if the pen isn't full of ink the air inside will expand and push the ink out of the feed and leak.

The only larger inlaid nib pen I can think of is a Sheaffer Legacy, but they're out of production now and are quite pricey. If you like stout pens the Jinhao 159 is an absolute unit of a pen but has a regular exposed nib. Here's my 159 next to a 601:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

Depends.

What ink?

Diamine Orange, of course

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Chip McFuck posted:

So long as there isn't any air in the pen's ink chamber you'll be fine. Air expands as pressure decreases, so if the pen isn't full of ink the air inside will expand and push the ink out of the feed and leak.

The only larger inlaid nib pen I can think of is a Sheaffer Legacy, but they're out of production now and are quite pricey. If you like stout pens the Jinhao 159 is an absolute unit of a pen but has a regular exposed nib. Here's my 159 next to a 601:

Thanks, and that 159 looks big (and cheap) enough that I may pick one up and then try to Frankenpen it into something I really like.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

On ye olde repair bench this week:

We have this lovely little Canadian made, Warranted 14k #2 nib:

The pen was dropped, impacting on the tip of the left tine, causing two noticeable creases where the tine has buckled. Despite how ugly it looks, it's actually a fairly straightforward repair. The tine needs to be straightened in two steps (starting with the crease closer to the tipping), and then adjusted to reset the taper on the nib slit. This is made easier by the fact that the right tine hasn't been damaged.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My hands are not as comfortable with big pens as they used to be, but I still like big swooshy lines. What can I find with a similar nib to the Eco stub, but with a smaller body?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

According to Appelboom's Instagram, the Legacy is coming back soon. Also if you go a bit older, the PFM is bigger than the Imperial but those aren't cheap either.

It's not quite a hooded nib, but the Vanishing Point is reasonably girthy and its nib is part-covered. The Platinum Curidas is even chunkier.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Dad Hominem posted:

According to Appelboom's Instagram, the Legacy is coming back soon. Also if you go a bit older, the PFM is bigger than the Imperial but those aren't cheap either.

It's not quite a hooded nib, but the Vanishing Point is reasonably girthy and its nib is part-covered. The Platinum Curidas is even chunkier.

That's great to know! I've had my eye on the Curidas since it was announced. I'm just waiting to see more reviews.

I check eBay for PFM every few weeks. No luck finding a bargain yet but I can afford to wait.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I got myself my first vintage fountain pen - Conway Stewart 36, bought on ebay for about 40 euros, including shipping. It was in 'untested' condition, and of course, as soon as I took a look at it the sac disintegrated. I ordered a new one, and in the process learned about sizings and how to measure it. Also ordered some shellac and talc powder. The tines vere very slightly misaligned, it took very little effort to fix it, installing a new sac was straightforward enough, and I managed not to glue myself with shellac. It took some polishing too, the metal parts were pretty tarnished. All in all a pleasant experience, though I fear i might be falling into the reabbit hole of vintage pens :ohdear:

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

fanny packrat posted:

That's great to know! I've had my eye on the Curidas since it was announced. I'm just waiting to see more reviews.

I check eBay for PFM every few weeks. No luck finding a bargain yet but I can afford to wait.

My Curidas is already here, got any questions?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Dad Hominem posted:

My Curidas is already here, got any questions?

Honestly, I'm so new to this and my preferences or so ill-informed that I don't know where to start. I'm interested in your overall impressions, how you think it compares to other capless fountain pens, whether it's worth the price, and if there are obvious areas of improvement that will likely make the next iteration better.

My goal with getting into fountain pens was to find the perfect set of instruments for me that would obviate the need to buy pens ever again in my life. This has resulted in me spending more money on pens than I likely would have for the rest of my natural life if I had stuck with my standby, the pilot G2. If you think you could use a Curidas for the rest of your life (with a couple of other pens that are situationally appropriate for different things) then I really want to know that.

Thanks for your help!

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

fanny packrat posted:

Honestly, I'm so new to this and my preferences or so ill-informed that I don't know where to start. I'm interested in your overall impressions, how you think it compares to other capless fountain pens, whether it's worth the price, and if there are obvious areas of improvement that will likely make the next iteration better.

My goal with getting into fountain pens was to find the perfect set of instruments for me that would obviate the need to buy pens ever again in my life. This has resulted in me spending more money on pens than I likely would have for the rest of my natural life if I had stuck with my standby, the pilot G2. If you think you could use a Curidas for the rest of your life (with a couple of other pens that are situationally appropriate for different things) then I really want to know that.

Thanks for your help!

Ok some general points to start:

The starting point is that it writes well, though I guess nothing unexpected for a modern Platinum steel nib. Mine is an F, and I found that my ink/paper combination (Kobe ink and cheap office paper) gave a smooth wet line, but with feathering reasonably controlled. It's therefore suitable for my intended purpose of note-taking, whether it's quickly copying down a phone number or taking minutes in a long meeting.

The build quality is fine. There are lots of joints and interlocking parts in the barrel and filling system, and they fit together tightly and don't wobble. Some people will definitely dislike the outer material (should be the same as a Preppy), but I like it more than the metal of a VP. Actually the size and material kind of remind me of one of those oversized Pentel mechanical pencils.

Designwise I think many complaints will be directed at the long button. I agree this is not very attractive, but in practice I have quickly gotten used to the long pressing motion compared to the VP (or your old G2). Also a design feature this has that the VP doesn't is a soft sealing material around the door area - I think that this will stay wet much longer than a VP would.

So yeah, compared to the VP? It's a pretty different experience in the hand, so you'd be best off trying them both out. The difference in writing, though, is not huge. I haven't really tried out other capless pens (eg the Lamy Dialog) so I don't have much to add there.

Is it worth it? Don't ask me, I spend grack levels on pens. You can think of it this way though - it's the cheapest way to get into clicky fountain pens, so if that feature is important to you, and you're cool with the size and material, go for it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

fanny packrat posted:

My goal with getting into fountain pens was to find the perfect set of instruments for me that would obviate the need to buy pens ever again in my life. This has resulted in me spending more money on pens than I likely would have for the rest of my natural life if I had stuck with my standby, the pilot G2.

The system works!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

fanny packrat posted:

Heath posted:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

fanny packrat posted:

This has resulted in me spending more money on pens than I likely would have for the rest of my natural life if I had stuck with my standby, the pilot G2.

But the G2 would let disposable pen snobs look down on you! You at least have to go for a Pentel EnerGel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

On ye olde workbench this week 2, Fuckup Boogaloo

We have a lovely Waterman #2 Ideal nib, with some nice flex:

Unfortunately, this nib is badly, badly messed up. First, the nib was overflexed while writing and sprung, leaving two noticeable creases radiating from the breather hole (1). Secondly, someone who didn't have a goddamned idea what the gently caress they were doing tried to :airquote: repair :airquote: this by bending the tines back in to place so that the tips would touch (2). Unfortunately, this has only served to make the issue far worse. Because an extra bend was added to the tines, the nib slit is now counter-tapered, bulging out in the middle (3). This issue completely impedes ink flow, and the nib will not write again without significant re-adjustment work.

With both nib tines creased, it's going to be much more difficult to reform a proper nib slit. This will greatly increase the time (and thus, cost) required for the repair.

:thumbsup: to whatever dipshit thought that this was a good idea.