Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

darealkooky posted:

*"but wait a minute", I hear you type, "isn't this game just a patch?". It is if you own the PS4 version. The PS4 version that used to be identical to and have crossplay with the PS3 version. The PS3 version that will not be getting CLR at all. The PS4 version that still has a option in the online mode to filter players by their console which no longer does anything because they've dropped PS3 support but put so little work into this game that they just forgot or didn't bother to remove this setting. If you're an optimist you can maybe hope that PC crossplay is coming, but they haven't even loving announced a PC version at all so I wouldn't hold your breath.

CLR isn’t a free ST patch on ps3 or vita but it exists as a standalone game. You also get a discount for owning ST on psn.

Edit: oh drat I totally misinterpreted that. If you own it on ps3 or vita you get a discount on the ps4 version. Never mind.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

darealkooky posted:

the jump from EL to ST was very substantial but the jump from ST to CLR feels like all those filler blazblue titles where they made you buy the game again just for a balance patch and 1 new character, a new character that doesn't even seem especially worth it.

unist launched with one new character lol, the only difference is it took fb two years to make a console version

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Arzachel posted:

unist launched with one new character lol, the only difference is it took fb two years to make a console version

[st] got Wagner, Enkidu, Mika, and Phonon.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Phonon (and Mika and maybe some other chars?) had been in the arcade version for months.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
not only is wagner/enkidu still 100% more new character than CLR, that's not how that sentence was supposed to be read. ST introduced the entire crazy elaborate tutorial mode, the super long VN story mode thing, a ton of new and unique colors for everyone, an entirely new set of menus for everything, a bunch of sweeping system changes and new mechanics and also the balance patch & two (four for anyone that never played the game in japanese arcades) new characters

I'm not saying "why isnt CLR as good as ST", I'm saying "why was there a three year gap between EL and ST console releases, but with a two year gap between ST and CLR it feels like proportionally a lot less has changed than the precedent they set". If they just needed more time or didn't put in as much work for this one I can't say, but at any rate I'm not really sure why they released the game like this at all except to try and cash in on their sudden evo hype

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 21, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Phonon (and Mika and maybe some other chars?) had been in the arcade version for months.

Aren't we just comparing console releases?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

darealkooky posted:

but at any rate I'm not really sure why they released the game like this at all except to try and cash in on their sudden evo hype

yeah real weird that a fairly small dev studio would want to make money while the getting's good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bummer about clr. Good thing i suck too much poo poo at it to care and have samsho to play instead

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
As much as I like the current norm of games getting patched up to the latest release instead of requiring a re-buy when the game changes, this really does highlight the main problem. If you don’t like CLR and would rather stick to ST you can’t unless you keep your console offline and never let the game update and now you can never play online again.

It’s worse for something like, say, street fighter 5 where if Season 2 was your favorite you’re hosed, since the only disk releases were at seasons 1, 3, and 5. You just CANT play S2 ever again.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
On the other side of the fence, DBFZ's Season 3 is... looking like a pretty gigantic loving update for just a new season update even in comparison to most fighters.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Once again cross tag was ahead of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

As much as I like the current norm of games getting patched up to the latest release instead of requiring a re-buy when the game changes, this really does highlight the main problem. If you don’t like CLR and would rather stick to ST you can’t unless you keep your console offline and never let the game update and now you can never play online again.

It’s worse for something like, say, street fighter 5 where if Season 2 was your favorite you’re hosed, since the only disk releases were at seasons 1, 3, and 5. You just CANT play S2 ever again.

drat I can never play SFV Season 2 again?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

MechaX posted:

On the other side of the fence, DBFZ's Season 3 is... looking like a pretty gigantic loving update for just a new season update even in comparison to most fighters.

Yeah, ir's massive. It's practically a new game, which makes me wonder if this was all supposed to be for FighterZ 2.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MechaX posted:

I probably want to play DBFZ the least of any modern day fighter tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

I probably want to play DBFZ the least of any modern day fighter tho

Now with double the comeback potential for that full 300 second round goodness

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If I had to guess, the relative success of BBTAG 2.0 has created a push towards big change patches alongside a costly influx of new characters. Simply because then even people who don’t want the new characters will still play to try the new changes, and maybe thus buy the cool new characters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2.0 was cool bc they had patch notes available 7 months before the update actually happened.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
cant play uniclr on my ps vita. im freaking pissed off.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I just bought Samurai Shodown and am going to buy UNICLR digitally for the PS4 since I only have UNIST on the PC. I have been trying to use SFV to finally get slightly less bad at fight games but I am just not having fun with it. I figure between the two of them, I am bound to learn something. Maybe even enough to win a round before being eliminated at EVO this summer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brought To You By posted:

Trailer for Chaos Bringer/Beelzebub dropped this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_xCOa5NNOU
Looks like a proper boss character and very fabulous, flying with sings made of swords cannot be practical though. There will also be a trailer next week for Narmaya.
Also a translation for Beelzebub's specials and supers
https://twitter.com/granblue_en/status/1230439986467524608

Projectile and throw with similar startup animations is my favorite dirty poo poo in fighting games

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Bummer about clr. Good thing i suck too much poo poo at it to care and have samsho to play instead

CLR is fine and everyone complaining about dead characters/Wagner throw are massive tools, the revision is officially less than 24 hours old. If you want to complain about "PS4 only" and no PC in sight that's your prerogative but being shocked they would drop PS3 and Vita support is loving insane.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The ps3 and vita are dead as poo poo, no suprise they aren't getting New Thing

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

to be clear, it's not that I'm surprised they dropped the ps3. I'm surprised they dropped the ps3 for such a minor revision

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Since this is actual DLC instead of a patch, wouldn't that mean they need to pay Sony for certification for each console they would want to release it on? Not to mention the cost of the actual development work that needs to be done specifically for each system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Coincidentally the EU PSN has ST at 80% off

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

UNICLR question.

Why is the bottom input a DP and the top input a 3A? There's a 60 frame pause in there to make sure the character returns to neutral, and both inputs take exactly 15 frames so I'm not running out of input buffer.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, ir's massive. It's practically a new game, which makes me wonder if this was all supposed to be for FighterZ 2.

Wondering if they worked something out with their contracts because for awhile it looked like they had dropped the major changes they said they were going to do and move on to a sequel

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

darealkooky posted:

to be clear, it's not that I'm surprised they dropped the ps3. I'm surprised they dropped the ps3 for such a minor revision

tbh I'm with you on what you're saying

under night is under night and I like under night but i don't really see why they've launched it this way, one new character and a balance patch, why was this not just a DLC purchase for all platforms. after the huge leap forward that ST was, this isn't much to write home about.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 21, 2020

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
also for some reason they still have the "don't stream more than the first hour of story mode" stipulation which is insanity for two reasons one of which is who the gently caress is going to stream under night's story mode, the second is that it's the same loving story mode as UNIST for the most part and that game's been out for yonks wtf

i know it's almost certainly a mandate from the japanese guys but what new content would even be shown there come on now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

tbh I'm with you on what you're saying

under night is under night and I like under night but i don't really see why they've launched it this way, one new character and a balance patch, why was this not just a DLC purchase for all platforms. after the huge leap forward that ST was, this isn't much to write home about.

The PS3 is 14 years old.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

so was the neogeo when it got samsho 5s

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

darealkooky posted:

not only is wagner/enkidu still 100% more new character than CLR, that's not how that sentence was supposed to be read. ST introduced the entire crazy elaborate tutorial mode, the super long VN story mode thing, a ton of new and unique colors for everyone, an entirely new set of menus for everything, a bunch of sweeping system changes and new mechanics and also the balance patch & two (four for anyone that never played the game in japanese arcades) new characters

I'm sure everyone would be absolutely thrilled to have the console port delayed two years to meet the harsh but fair standards of somethingawful forums poster darealkooky.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wagner players can eat a whole rear end.

Edit: And also choke on it.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 21, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yardbomb posted:

Wagner players can eat a whole rear end.

Edit: And also choke on it.

Pretty sure they want to do that though?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Sarchasm posted:

UNICLR question.

Why is the bottom input a DP and the top input a 3A? There's a 60 frame pause in there to make sure the character returns to neutral, and both inputs take exactly 15 frames so I'm not running out of input buffer.

it's probably the gap between 6 and 2, which is 3f in the first one and 4f in the second.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

darealkooky posted:

so was the neogeo when it got samsho 5s

gently caress yeah.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Look at this nerd trying to play a video game on a console from one generation ago. The real cool kids are messing with FPGA dev boards to play arcade games that nobody actually likes anymore. I'll see you at the Bloodstorm tourney I will be hosting completely by myself and so far only has me as an entrant please enter my tourney I'm begging you.

For real though needing to drop however much extra for a used PS4 just to play the most current version of a game sucks.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

it's probably the gap between 6 and 2, which is 3f in the first one and 4f in the second.

Hm. That might be it. I took another screenshot of the same issue, and again the 3f gap is successful and the 4f gap fails. Guess I'm being too deliberate.

Thanks!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HerniaFlange posted:

Look at this nerd trying to play a video game on a console from one generation ago. The real cool kids are messing with FPGA dev boards to play arcade games that nobody actually likes anymore. I'll see you at the Bloodstorm tourney I will be hosting completely by myself and so far only has me as an entrant please enter my tourney I'm begging you.

For real though needing to drop however much extra for a used PS4 just to play the most current version of a game sucks.

You can tell a console is dead when it stops getting the yearly fifa release :v: I wouldn't be surprised if sony just doesn't bother certifying ps3 stuff anymore except for emergencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SirKibbles posted:

Wondering if they worked something out with their contracts because for awhile it looked like they had dropped the major changes they said they were going to do and move on to a sequel

That's a good point. I wonder how much licensing shenanigans are at work here.